The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2002, 05:28 AM   #1
Talin

Silmaril the "Galadriel" bit

I loved the movie very much but there where lots of bit's i just HATED! What was with the bit where Galadriel goes all phsyco?<BR>I think that was just slightly over done.<BR>Don't get me wrong though, i LOVED the rest heaps'n'heaps
Old 03-10-2002, 05:40 AM   #2
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they just over did a part from the book when it says <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo tall beyond mesurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-10-2002, 05:45 AM   #3
Talin

Think they missed the 'Beautiful' in that quote. i reckon it was too digital.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:15 AM   #4
Lyliac
Pile O'Bones

Lyliac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it kinda scared me ...<P>j/k
Old 03-10-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

On another thread someone said she had a major PMS problem! LOL
Old 03-10-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh, I would be the guilty part there. Definitely PMS. No doubt.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, she was really freaky...like waking up on the wrong side of the bed for the past millenia freaky. <P>~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:59 AM   #8
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Elenglin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think it was kinda funny. I mean, it was so terrible, that it made me laugh my head off. Lol.<P>And I was deffinetly the only one who laughted in the movie theatre, then.
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Elenglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they over-did that part. I saw the movie before I read the book, and at first I thought that she was evil. After reading that part, I don't know why they made her so terrifying.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:00 PM   #10
starbreeze

Silmaril

Freaked me out!
Old 03-10-2002, 01:04 PM   #11
Weber
Animated Skeleton

Weber has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Weber
Sting

originally posted by: Raefindel<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>On another thread someone said she had a major PMS problem! LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>:lol: lol lol lol lol lol it freaked me out 2, but i thought that was funny
Old 03-10-2002, 01:08 PM   #12
chucks888
Pile O'Bones

chucks888 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Did anyone else notice she turns into J Lo?<P>-Chuck
chucks888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:18 PM   #13
Weber
Animated Skeleton

Weber has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Weber
Silmaril

originally posted by chucks888<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did anyone else notice she turns into J Lo? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>????????????????????????????
Old 03-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #14
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

When I first saw the film I didn't get it. I was sitting there, a bit scared, thinking "What the...? Why is she...? What's going on?!" Then I read the book and went "Oh, that's why." It does seem a bit overdone but it didn't bother me. What I didn't like was the way Frodo said "What will I see?" Sounded like way too suspicious if you ask me.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:07 PM   #15
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

I agree that it was over exaggerated. The way that they portrayed her voice in that scene was kinda unnecessary I believe. It was just TOO weird. Anyone who hadn't read the book would just be so confused! I also agree with you Rosa about Frodo asking what he would see in the mirror. I think Frodo's character is really more trusting. Especially to Elves.
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:15 PM   #16
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The movie effect was a little overdone but not too much, I thought (I know I'm probably in the minority on this one). In the book Frodo and Sam are basically seeing a vision of what Galadriel could be if she turned evil, became a female Sauron basically. She's got to get pretty scary if she's going to compete with the image of the Eye that we keep seeing.<P>Mayla and Rosa, I agree that Frodo sounded a lot more suspicious than he was in the book. OTOH the time in the movie was all different; they only seem to be in Lothlorien about 48 hours, so maybe Frodo is still having aftershocks from being stabbed by the cave-troll, seeing Gandalf fall, being surprised by Elves who are aiming arrows at him, and meeting Galadriel and having her looking into his mind and being told that his coming is as the footsteps of Doom - all in the last day or two! He probably doesn't know up from down at this point, so maybe he would sound pretty suspicious at this point, in the sense of "Oh lord, what *now*?" Liked it better in the book, though.<p>[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-10-2002, 05:51 PM   #17
raefindel

Sting

Hey, Chuck888, what did you mean by j lo?
Old 03-11-2002, 09:15 AM   #18
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree, I was sorta freaked out when I saw Galadriel's "transformation". Granted, I read reviews before I saw the movie so I KNEW that was going to happen, but they could have been a little more subtle. I was like, "okay I know she would turn evil if she had the ring already, now ease up on the special effects!"
Old 03-11-2002, 12:46 PM   #19
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

it was 'galadriel' meets 'the matrix' - too overdone!!!<P>i was just listening to a cd reading of that part of the book, and the take on the character of galadriel is much more in keeping with the text than the movie is.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:02 AM   #20
vanwalithiel

Hello, I'm new.<BR>Just wanted to say, Kalimac you're not alone! I kinda liked the Galadriel-freakiness bit <P>Wow! my first message!
Old 03-19-2002, 08:28 AM   #21
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Kate Blanchett was AWFUL!!! <P>She overacted the whole thing, and ye she managed to appear freaky, but not in the way that was intended.<P>I almost burst out laughing when she turned green, coz she looked like she had swallowed an electric frog! <P>Also she was rili horrible, coz when ickle Frodo fell over backwards she didnt even help him up. Now thats tight!
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 PM   #22
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it was a bit fake, but it was cool too, the first time... after that it was a bit *fake*. But I like the way her voice changes...<P>"INSTEAD OF A DARK LORD YOU SHALL HAVE A QUEEN! NOT DARK BUT BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE AS THE DAWN! TRACHEROUS AS THE SEA! STRONGER THAN THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH! ALL SHALL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR"
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:35 PM   #23
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I hated that part! It was way to digitalized and they managed to make it corny above all else. It would have been a lot more poignant if she had said that bit in a soft, menacing tone of voice. Then it would be freaky. But I think it turned off a lot of non-LOTR moviegoers, at least for a liitle while because it was so...overdone.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:11 PM   #24
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

i saw the movie before i read the books. Since then, i've finished LOTR, and i agree that they way they portrayed her made her seem a lot more menacing than she really is. I love the way Tolkien describes that scene in Fellowship. Especially how he described Galadriel..."beautiful beyond enduring...terrible and worshipful." In the movie, it was a tad overdone. It sorta looked like a cartoon in that scene! haha...but the movie is excellent, hands down, and i enjoyed every minute.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 09:23 AM   #25
Niltaurwen
Pile O'Bones

Niltaurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

what id like to say is i actually liked the bit were Galadriel went feral! i really dont like cate blanchett though i think they could have found someone better for the role im not sure who but... frodo does a lot of weird things in the movie but i think he comes across as a bit nasty in the book and as if everyone owes him something but thats just my opinion! <P><BR>Namaarie
Old 03-22-2002, 11:28 AM   #26
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah they spookied up Galadriel alot and her clothes all sor of ripped and then they went norml again majical elf sewing I wish I could do it. I also didn't like the was they compleately dumbed down frodo it was like if he was this stupid they they wouldn't have trusted the fate of the world to him

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #27
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

in a newpaper article about the movie it refered to that part as "Galadriel suddenly donned a man's voice and turned into a thermonuclear banshee"! <BR>something else stupid about the whole lorien thing: it didn't show Galadriel giving the presents (eg the box of dirt, the cloaks etc) to the rest of the fellowship, it just showed her giving the Phial to frodo!
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 12:54 PM   #28
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

One interesting point is to compare the response Galadriel made in turning down the Ring to that made earlier in the film by Gandalf. Although Gandalf came over as definitely not wanting to touch or have any part of it, he did not look like Galadriel, the "nuclear banshee." Why is that so? Why did the filmakers treat the two characters so differently in their response to being offered the Ring? They both knew the potential of the Ring, its ability to confer enormous power and its ability to corrupt.In general, the gentle side of Gandalf,his feelings towards hobbits and humans, is clearly evident throughout the movie. But Galadriel's gentle side is largely missing which is a great pity. I don't know if the director's cut, or whatever they call it, will really make up for this omission. We shall see. sharon
Old 03-22-2002, 01:13 PM   #29
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Child of the 7th Age, I completely agree with you about Galadriel. I feel she is someone to love, and they missed that.<P>Also, what happened to Sam's turn to look into the mirror. I know they've shot all three movies. Does anyone know whether they are planning to leave out the Scouring of the Shire??
Old 03-22-2002, 01:27 PM   #30
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have heard that Peter Jackson don´t have that in the third film... That it will be a different ending. (I hope it´s not true!)
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #31
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, I forgot to say my opinion about the Galadriel bit...<BR>First, I think it was TOO much, and actually I felt kinda embarrased when I saw it. <BR>Second, I didn´t like the way they "potraited" her (if u know what I mean), she wasn´t like in the book at all, didn´t like that change of her.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #32
Elanor Proudfoot

Sting

I think that Galadriel looked like a witch. And she definitely didn't look like an beatiful elf. I know that it wasn't even meant to look like, but the was bit too weird part of the movie, which was the best movie ever!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:41 PM   #33
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The "Galadriel bit" was shcoking and overpowering and not what I expected. But I thought it worked.<P>When Galadriel considers what would happen if she took the Ring, she describes herself as Queen - beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night. I feel PJ went as far as he had to on the visual effects to achieve the imagery JRRT had written (that Galadriel was speaking). She became painful to look at. And her voice had to be loud and eery-sounding. That whole speech is punctuated with exclamation points! Extreme effects were essential to achieve the <I>contrast</I> in this passage:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-22-2002, 08:18 PM   #34
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
She scared me. And she looked like plastic. I think it was just a tad overdone personally because I never really got that impression of her changing so drastically when I read the book. Guess first impressions do last a lifetime, eh?

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:00 AM   #35
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Y'know, I finally saw LotR with my best friend and she made an excellent point about the elves in general which agree with totally: they are, basically, devoid of emotion. You never see them get very upset (well, Galadriel kinda did) or very emotional about anything. Right after her little "nuclear banshee" blowout, Galadriel was back to her old self again, aloof, soft-spoken and, I think, pretty neutral about everything. I find this to be true of all of the elves. It's like they had a lot of emotion in the begining but after the first millenia or so they all got over it. (This is not true of the books, though. Just the movie.)<P>And, sadly, there will be no Scouring of the Shire. PJ said so himself. Frodo's vision in Galadriel's Mirror was homage to the event. I shall miss seeing it but I can understand PJ and Fran's reasons for not having it in the film. But poor Tom Bombadil! That was uncalled for...
Old 03-23-2002, 02:18 AM   #36
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

I agree with Lostgaeriel. Though I didn't think it was at ALL overdone. That was actually how I pictured it in the books. Her wearing the armor was a neat little effect too. I thought that whole scene was AWESOME!! The fifth time I went to see it, I REALLY had to use the washroom just as they were running out of Moria but I wouldn't let myself go. My friend that I went with was all "Why are you so fidgety? Just GO!" But I was like "No, the Galadriel bit is coming soon!" Mind you, she hasn't reached that part in the book yet, so she had NO idea what I was talking about. But seriously, I really, really, liked that part! Okay, my own opinion, just had to say it. The only part I didn't like in Lothlorien was they omitted the scenes where she gives the gifts (I think that was already mentioned) But I found out they actually *did* shoot those scenes, but because the movie was already at like, 3 hours, they cut it. (I've seen pics of Legolas admiring his new bow and Merry and Pippin their new swords.) But everytime I went to see it, I always went with someone who HASN'T read the books yet. *sighs* So when I was all "Hey, looky! They kept with the books and kept the Elven cloaks!" (I really wanted to see those Leaf brooches for some reason) They had no idea what I was talking about!! Okay, long enough post here? LOL! Toodles!
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 12:14 PM   #37
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

I don't think it was ALL overdone either. PJ did the best job he could on that part. It was a good contrast, and it really showed what would have happened if she were to become a dark queen. I still think it looked sort of plastic (as someone said before) and a bit cartoonish, but the effect was achieved.To be totally honest, i thought that was one of the scary parts of the movie...but mind you, i did see the movie before i read any of the books,so i didn't know who was good and who was really evil and what to expect. <P>I do think that Cate Blanchett did a good job. I think her voice, espeically, was perfect for the role.Tolkien's description of Galadriel's voice: "Her voice was clear and musical, but deeper than a woman's wont."(p. 346) As for her being "not pretty enough," o think that maybe elves are not beautiful in the same way humans are. A different type of beauty perhaps. Tolkien describes Galadriel, when the Frodo first sees her, as "grave and beautiful."(p.345). I think Cate did a good job of that...she's definitly grave. I don't think she is that pretty either, but the beauty of elves is not like the beauty of humans...they don't have the "hot blonde", that hot- girl -you- see -in -the-street, the girl next door, or the beauty-pageant -contestant kind of appeal. They're beauty, based on Tolkien's description and the way i imagined it, is <I>ethereal</I>, or heavenly and otherwordly. It's a whole different level of beauty. <P>So i think, in the end, that Cate Blanchett WAS right for the role...she's not TOO beautiful, but she is very ethereal and mysterious. At first, i thought that Gwyneth Paltrow would have been great for the role too, but then i thought she was too pretty and too, i don't know, too much of a female sex symbol? (think of all her other movies...Shakespeare in love, Great Expectations, etc...) i don't know, she still would be great for the role,but I think Cate still did the best she could. I can think of others who would have made good Galadriel's, but i'm still not complaining about Cate Blanchett's performance. It's not her fault thatthe movie didn't show the gentle side of Galadriel. <P>As for the Scouring...i'm 99% sure that it's not going to be included. Yes, it is a shame, but i can understand how they won't have enough time for it. It sure will be interesting how PJ will end it, and how he will tie it all together without Scouring. I've heard a lot about the 2 and 3rd movies and how they're changing a lot lot of stuff...i was really disappointed, but then...they made a lot of changes to Fellowship and that still turned out awesome, so you never know how good the next 2 are going to be. I'll be waiting in anticipation until December.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:44 PM   #38
starbreeze

Silmaril

I too was annoyed that Galadriel watched Frodo fall to the floor but made no effort to help him at all. I also agree that the elves were too aloof in the film, too lacking in emotions.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:40 AM   #39
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Galadriel looked a bit radioactive, myself
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote