The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Super Middle-Earth Melee...

For starters, this is not really my idea, well sort,...er...?! OK, I saw Kitanna's sig, and it said something about Yoda vs. Gandalf. It struck me as such a brilliant concept that I just had to start a thread.

If I had to bet on a fight between Yoda and Gandalf, I'd actually pick Yoda. Sure, everybody loves Gandalf; he's our favorite wizard with a staff and lots of cool powers, and that neat Ring of Fire. But Yoda has the Force! Even forgetting the lightsaber, I think the Force tips the balance a lot. Gandalf would be overwhelmed.

And just so this isn't a completely dead post, this can be between any two characters, just one from ME. Basically, how do you think Middle Earth characters would do against beings from other fantasy works? What fight would you like to see? (must be: JRRT person vs. non-JRRT person)
Old 03-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Sorcerous slapping

Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien, last of the House of Finarfin

against

Jadis, Queen of Charn and Narnia, and Empress of the Lone Islands, aka the White Witch

I don't think Jadis would stand a chance against Galadriel's enchantments, but being part Giant would resort to brute force...
Old 03-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Pipe

Gandalf (white or grey) against Rand al' Thor (the Dragon Reborn) in the Wheel of Time.
I'm sad to say that I believe Rand would win.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
This thread sounds very similar to this already existing one: Umltimate Matchup. 4 Men Enter, ! Man Exit.
You might want to check that out.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

My friends and I did something similiar for the NCAA basketball tournament. Now normally I'm not big into basketball, but my friends were so into it, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to poke fun at them. The project was each person had to guess which teams would win and move on in the tournament, essentially guess all the brackets. So me, being the Arda-freak that I am turned it into an all out Lord of the Rings Ultimate showdown.

Here is an example of how I bet (one Snickers bar):

So say it was Utah v. Kentucky. I would take the first letter of each team's name and find a LotR character beginning with the same letter.
Utah= Ungoliant
Kentucky= Kili

And if Kili and Ungoliant were to get in a scrap, who would win? I would choose Ungoliant, therefore she would advance. The championship came down to Ulmo (UW-Milwaukee) v. Varda (Villanova) and I said that Varda (Villanova) would win.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's pretty cool. I've never thought to mix basketball and LotR. How's your parody-bracket working out so far, Abercrombie?

BTW, Nimrodel, in the al'Thor vs. Gandalf matchup, I'd pick the other way. Rand has the One Power, which is handy, but if Gandalf got a shot of bright light into his opponets eyes... No see, no channel; and Rand would be toast!

It would also be interesting to see Rand cross blades with Aragorn; no One Power, of course... That would be some high quality swordplay.