The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #41
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... I'd like a light sword, and a longbow. Of course, this in the fantastical world where I could actually *hold* any of these... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 06:20 AM   #42
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
a slang-shot(is that what the're called? The thing that David used to kill the giant? I've heard that if you know how to use them, the're more accerate them a Bow & Arrow)
A slingshot is the cord between the wishbone shaped stick. David used a sling. The strip of leather and pouch for throwing the stone. And they are powerful.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:55 AM   #43
Tar-Haydon

Sting

A very pointy stick. Possibly painted red to make it look scarier.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #44
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Welcome Tar-Haydon! Love your sig
Old 06-27-2002, 01:54 PM   #45
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Central Asian compound bow, or Hungarian/Mongol bow, is superior to the longbow in both distance, force and maneuverability. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

I love the Mongol culture and history, but I understand that those bows take two people to string because the arms are bent backwards to shoot, which is why it wouldn't be my weapon of choice.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 02:09 PM   #46
legolas991610

Sting

Weapons

When choosing a weapon you have to take into consideration you situation. Are you a solo traveller or part of a party [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]? What is your class (nobility/Peasant), what is your style? Below I have broken down weapons.

Daggers – Used by commonly as a secondary or tertiary weapon. Archers would often double team opponents on the battlefield with on distracting and one slitting the throat or attacking from behind. Used, as a pocketknife would be today. (e.g. Swiss Army Knife)

Short Swords – Used by early cavalry as a primary or secondary weapon alternating with a short spear. A backup weapon for almost every type of warrior and an effective weapon.

Long/ 2 Handed Swords – The nobility’s weapon. Expensive to make and were customized for the user. Could take down charging cavalry and batter down armour and shields

Stabbing Spear – This shot 5-7’ spear was used to stab an enemy from a distance. Could outreach a sword and was used my lower ranks. Also thrown.

Long Spear – Also includes pikes and lances. Used to discourage cavalry charges. A good example would be the Phalanxes pf ancient Greece. Too long to be used effectively by a solitary person.

Crossbow – And expensive version of the bow, that is more powerful but less range. The upper classes bow

Bows (all types) – Peasants weapon (of war, used by upper classes for hunting) medium to long ranges.

Axes – strong weapon, all classes. Well balanced to reduce tiring and very powerful

Clubs (all types, pointed and non pointed) – Used to Bash, no finesse here. All classes, Higher the class greater the cost and quality of the weapon.

When choosing a weapon you have to look at what it is that you are trying to do with it. Few of the races in Tolkien’s world cold have carried more than 2 of the larger weapons and the plausibility of their effectiveness decreases with more weapons. Most races would have trained their warriors in different weapons but not more than one or two. By doing that they produce better fighters. I would have chosen a Long Sword, a small wooden club and a dagger. I would have a medium shield I carry on my back(similar but not the same as Boromir)

I am tired or I would have written more on the weapons. If you want to discuss the merits of weapons with me, I would love to.

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Flanagan ]
Old 06-29-2002, 12:40 AM   #47
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Very cool Flanagan! And welcome to the Downs! RIP. I would love to talk weapons with you, but I'm afraid that you'd leave me in the dust in no time due to my insufferable ignorance. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:48 AM   #48
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
A Barbarian longsword. Well crafted metal. 4'6 foot long, twin edged blade fitted firmly on to a swivelling neck and foot long handle. Around 90 - 100 pounds in weight. Strong enough to chop down a pine tree in one swipe.

A large battle axe too, strapped upon my back, weighing 140 pounds. 4 foot handle and a double bit, twin edged axe head. Foot and a half high and 3 feet wide.

Assortment of daggers and darts.

I would defintely travel alone but also do well with small groups. I scoff at all those class distinctions. When you live by the sword, all men are equal.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 07:31 AM   #49
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Narsil's don't kill people, people kill people.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:06 AM   #50
Thinlaithion

Sting

Flanagan, I'd love to talk weapons with you any time, they are a subject that I find very interesting.

Well, as an elf, I would carry a longbow, possibly from Lothlorien. I would have a short sword at either side, a couple of daggers at assorted places, and a few throwing axes and knives. You can't be too prepared for war. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also, in my shoe, I would have a blade (anyone see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) which would come out when I needed it for up close combat.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:25 AM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I like spears. Good reach, good for blocking, and can be thrown. Then of course I'd need a back-up. (Although, if I was fighting a particularly mean guy, like a balrog, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a nuke)
Old 07-03-2002, 03:56 PM   #52
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Flanagan, where did you get all that info? is there a site somewhere? btw, welcome to the Downs
Old 07-03-2002, 03:56 PM   #53
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Flanagan, where did you get all that info? is there a site somewhere? btw, welcome to the Downs

I'm a Shade of Carn Dum, now!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 AM   #54
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i think if i am travelling in a group :-
i would like a long bow,a short sword(backup weapon),and a spear

if i travel alone then bows are a nuisance so:-

i would have a doublehanded sword ,a axe on the back , and a shield(very important for lone warriors)
Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 PM   #55
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ah, an old opinion topic has popped up that was lurking in the depths of the Books forum! I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum, where those are now placed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #56
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Well, what I'd want is a mace, namely Grond, Hammer of the Underworld. Of course, I'd have to have the strength of the Valar to weild such a weapon. Another good weapon is Gothmog's Flaming Whip. It's stylish AND pyromaniac-friendly.

Of course, if I were a simple being, not superpower endowed, I would have a long thin sword, similar to a rapier but not the same. In real life, I'm pretty good with fencing weapons and bows and arrows. I'd be better with a short bow, since long bows require an insane level of strength, which I, unfortunately, lack.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #57
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I personally would love to learn archery. I have always had a preferance to a bow and arrow over anyhting else. I think that they are (mostly) only good for long range fighting. So you need something to back you up.

For close range fighting I really couldn't choose between a sword or an ax. They both could probably do the same job. It would really depend on wich one I could find of a better quality. A qualit weapon can be a difference between life and death in a battle.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #58
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Oh, archery is a definite must! I'm already learning it, and I'm a pretty good archer, so I think that I'll stick with bows for long-range fighting.

For short-range fighting, I'm kind of "ok" with a sword, so I'll stick with a light, Elven sword. It's probably going to be more easily maneuverable for someone my size (I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs.) rather than a broadsword.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #59
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I would most lilley wield these:
Cho-ka-nu (chineese invented repeating crossbow load a clip of bolts and crank the crank and it fires repeadadly)
Halberd
Scimatar
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:06 PM   #60
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmm... that cho-ka-nu thing sounds interesting. Now only if they made a recurve that fired like that. *sigh*
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #61
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I must say I have always fancied archery (of course my love for elves has had nothing to do with that [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), but the dagger has also appealed to me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Swords are cool, but I sucked at fencing so...

But daggers and bows rock!

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #62
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Definitely!

I would think that you would have to be remarkably swift to stay alive fighting with a dagger. I'd prefer the longer reach of a sword, or perhaps one of the Elven blades that the crew designed for the movies. You know, the ones that look like a cross between a spear and a sword. I like the reach of those and the curved blade, and also the fact that they're not as unwieldy as spears in close quarters.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #63
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'd probably use a sword and a halbred (sp?)
Certainly, Halbarad and his two score of Dunedain would be my weapon of choice.
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:57 AM   #64
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Well, if we're just talking about weapons in general....

-A Nice Old Fashion Gladius never lets you down

-If I were an orc, here's the sword for me

-And, of course, there's this which sorta speaks for itself

-If I were a dwarf, laddie!

I've got more, but I won't post them now.
That's most of the ideal choices. *drools*

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #65
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

A Halbard, other then being a Dunedain is a long polearm with an ax head on the end and most of the time a spike on the other end, used by supporting infintry against calvry along with pikes
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 PM   #66
Elassar 516

Elassar 516 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I am the kind of person who maintains that there is no such thing as to many weapons, at the very least I would cary:
A long sword, a short sword, a good hunting bow (for hinting orcs that is), a knife (somwhat like the one Celeborn gives Aragorn), and half a dozen throwing daggers.
For defense, some sort of chain mail, preferably made by dwarves and I would have no objections to having it made out of Mithril, a shield, I've always fancied Boromirs, and of course you can never go wrong with having a bodygaurd, especialy since I have know idea how to actualy use any of those weapons.
Elassar 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #67
The Mushroom
Animated Skeleton

The Mushroom has just left Hobbiton.
A sword! A nice glowing one! Or maybe a bow and some arrows (I'm not too keen on hand-to-hand combat). Or maybe a nice, hard cooking pot!
The Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote