The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril CbC Reloaded

One idea that came up at the recent Finlandmoot was to revive the CbC discussions of The Hobbit before the (first) movie comes to the theatres next year. I'd like to begin with that project early in 2012, so that we have leisure to refresh our memories of the book before we're overwriting our own images with movie previews.

In thinking about that, I realized two things: first, that the Silmarillion discussions haven't yet finished, and that there was a request to do a Chapter-by-Chapter discussion of the Unfinished Tales in a post by Marky Lazer some time ago, which I missed for whatever reason.

Shall we take on those two projects this year? I'm not a Sil expert, but if Aiwendil is no longer able to carry on, I'm willing to start off the threads so the rest of you can post on them. It's a good opportunity for me to reread Sil and UT at any rate, and even if you don't have time to go back through the chapters in detail, you would be welcome to post from memory.

Anyone interested?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm very interested, especially with The Sil. I haven't read UT (what a perfect opportunity to read it!, says you ), but I will definitely read, and where I can maybe participate in the discussions.

I'm glad this subforum will be reawakened!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

After pondering this for a day... I am interested in The Hobbit CbC.

I am not disinterested in a Sil CbC... Read bits of it recently during vacation. No computers where I take vacation, though. In fact I'm planning on tackling LotR on my upcoming two weeks off; but I doubt I'll have web access... except on my cell, and that is finicky.

However, The Hobbit can take all season, or all year. I am content with that.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'd like to get started with the remaining CbC discussions of the Silmarillion as soon as possible, so we can get through the book as well as the Unfinished Tales in time for a Hobbit relaunch next year. I'm thinking that Monday would be a good day to begin discussion threads - some of you may want to read the chapters on the weekend and can then jump right in, or you can take your time during the week. Each discussion will last one week, though of course the threads remain open for those who wish to contribute later on.

Is there any interest - shall we begin this week (i.e. tomorrow), or wait another for people to join in the reading? Chapter 20, "Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad" is the next in line.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't think I'll take part in Silm CbC discussions, but I would definitely join for a Hobbit CbC discussion prior to the film release.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It's Monday; the discussion thread for Chapter 20 is up. I hope you'll join me - comments are welcome even if you're not currently rereading the Sil!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The final chapter of the Silmarillion - "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" - is currently up for discussion. So that those who would still like to join in have an opportunity, I will wait an additional week before beginning chapter-by-chapter discussions of the Unfinished Tales on Monday, October 24.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sorry to have left Rings of Power in the lurch like that, but RL has been inconveniently intruding into my 'Downs time the past few days.

Hopefully I can look at it this weekend.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'm in for a Hobbit re-reading and discussion.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1. Well done wrapping up the CbC Silmarillion reread, Esty (and provoking me to overcome my current poster's slump and comment on the last chapter)!

2. As for further procedings, I feel it would make more sense to reread TH first before turning to UT, which consists basically of elaborations on selected subjects from everything else (from Sil through TH [Quest for Erebor] to LotR) and therefore might be more profitably discussed after we've gone through the rest of the canon.
(Also, egoistically, I'm dying for a reason to reread TH - I started after acquiring Rateliffe's History of the Hobbit but lost impetus after a few chapters; but whatever the majority decides.)
Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'd take part in either CbC, be it TH or the UT, however I would prefer the latter for this reason - we still have more than a year until TH is released so if we discuss the UT now and TH afterwards the CbC will still be fresh in our minds when the movie is released. That way we are all better at complaining about all the things that have been changed.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Though I too am looking forward to the Hobbit re-discussion, I have two reasons for taking on UT first.

1. There is a long-standing request for a UT discussion, and we haven't gone through this book chapter-by-chapter so far.

2. I would like to have the Hobbit CbC closer to the movie release next year, so that we book fans are well-prepared for comparitive discussions when it comes out.

To those who are waiting for the Hobbit reread, please be patient! We will definitely do it, probably beginning in the spring of 2012.

To those who decide to join me in (re-)reading the Unfinished Tales, I look forward to re-discovering them with you!

*cross-posted with TM, who already explained my reasons more succinctly!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Oh certainly do whatever projects and the general dates you had planned. I just showed more interest in The Hobbit, because like LOTR, that is a book I can sit down and read cover to cover.

I do have Unfinished Tales, but it's just not written in a way that I've ever been able to read straight through. I used it more as a reference for discussions. I'll try to follow the UT CbC, but for myself, I've been itching for a Hobbit re-read.

And it may work out that I don't even get to it until Spring. Much to the like of some friends, I was FINALLY able to read The Deathly Hallows (yes I'm a terrible Potter fan ). Next one I intend to get to is starting George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, but haven't started on that one yet.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry I've been away from the CbC threads. Gotta catch up.

I'll definitely take part in TH discussions, but I'm not so sure about UT, as I don't own a copy.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Are we still a go to start Unfinished Tales? I realise I never weighed in here saying that I was in favour of that, but I am--in favour enough, in fact, that I made a point of reading "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin" (which is more reading specifically for the CbC than I've put into any CbC yet)--and Boro ended up getting about half of that through me reading it aloud, so he might have things to say too.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The final chapter of the Silmarillion - "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" - is currently up for discussion. So that those who would still like to join in have an opportunity, I will wait an additional week before beginning chapter-by-chapter discussions of the Unfinished Tales on Monday, October 24.
I'm rereading "Of Tuor..." as well in preparation, and I stand by my above-quoted decision to begin CbC discussion of UT on this coming Monday. We shall see how things go; depending on chapter length and density of discussion, we may move on to the next chapter after a week - or after two, if we need the time.

So please join Formy and me in reading the first chapter this weekend and then discuss with us as of Monday!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will in any case reread U.T., because I have always been fond of them, and follow the discussion. If I can get up the energy to write a contribution is another thing...