The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quick question which is going in here since there are people around - what is the deadline? In terms of GMT preferably.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #42
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
PS -- You don't think Fea would break this rule, do you? Do you really?!?! Fea respects rules. Just look at ATM2. She's Aretha Franklin.

Quote:
Now, I enjoy getting called "attractive" by young men, but does it have to be in the context of "attractive werewolf?!
Maybe they find werewolves to be attractive because they are wolves!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #43
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well. Hmmm. Examining things from Fea's point of view, these are my deductions -

-She would want an entertaining, exciting and preferably close fight - which is why I think the two disconnected wolves have to be basically in this together, as far as that's possible, rather than being werebears - unless there's some other variable involved.

-She would love phantom to be a Fenris Wolf.

-She wouldn't be averse to springing Diamantine surprises on us.

I have therefore decided that if phantom is a wolf, he is probably an extra wolf, thrown in to be lynched on Day 1. He might not even have been told that he is such...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #44
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

An interesting point you make about SpM, Nogrod. What I found more strange was his bizarre plot to tie everyone at one, which would only result in mine and Boromir's deaths. The question is, is he evil? Or just taken one too many pots to the head?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #45
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

[quote=Anguin]I have therefore decided that if phantom is a wolf, he is probably an extra wolf, thrown in to be lynched on Day 1. He might not even have been told that he is such.[quote]

I can do you one better. tp is an innocent, but he is a special sort of innocent. You can't kill him. Even if we vote to lynch him, or the wovles try to kill him, he simply won't die. The heavens will open and floods will wash away the earth, but Fea will just laugh, and tp will just gloat.

Oh, and if you lynch me, my lover will die. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #46
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Oh Fea, you're killing me. Those messed up quote tags are going to keep me up at night.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #47
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just a stupid observation and sorry if you've already made it in a post I haven't read yet, but nobody died last night. So that's weird. Okay, we're in a werewolf game, so we know that there will be deaths. But to have a lynching before the first kill? That's really odd.

Now for a bit of speculation causes shivers down my gaming spine: what if Feamoderator is the third werewolf? Is that completely outside the realm of possibility?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #48
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ooo, Audrey, that sounded like a challenge. I feel a testosterone frenzy coming upon me...must...resist...

++THE PHANTOM

Ha! The great Anguirel is equal to slaying the measly phantom any day! Just try and stop me! I am the Lord of the Ring, and I do not share power! Give me the Silmarils, the High Kingship of the Noldor, and the hands of Luthien and Idril, now!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #49
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Said Rule

Diamond18 is not evil. She has never been evil. She will never be evil. So let it be written, so let it be done. Or not done, depending on how you are interpreting the word "it" in this context. If "it" is "a moderator assigning an evil role to Diamond" then "not done" is the proper phraseology.

Thank you for your time.
SPM one a game as a werewolf banking on just such a "rule". Tough beans, you lycanthrope.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #50
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Uh, that is, "won" a game.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #51
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Huh, that's a good point lmp.

So what do we think would happen if nobody voted? Think it would be similar to your little plot in ATM? Or would Fea just roll her eyes, flip her coin and lynch someone at random?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #52
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

This no editing rule is getting to be embarressing. Is Fea really trying to make us think before hitting "Submit Reply"? She really is evil. I'd check her for fangs.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #53
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If I'm killed at night lynch Diamond.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #54
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
But I never get to play with Esty, I don't want her to die right away.
Oh, that's fine with me. I never commited to killing her today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Now, I enjoy getting called "attractive" by young men, but does it have to be in the context of "attractive werewolf?!
I think pointy teeth are sexy. So sue me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
Diamond18 is not evil. She has never been evil. She will never be evil. So let it be written, so let it be done.
I completely forgot about that rule. That totally changes my mind. You're off my lynch list, Di. Who should I replace you with?

Nogrod, I also spent a bit of time pondering SPM's posts regarding his knowledge of the rules. However, I found that I could spin him either way, WW or ordo, and so decided to leave him alone for the time being and see how things develop. There are a couple things in his post that I have flagged for future reference, and if certain things happen then I'll go back to it and make a decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
I have therefore decided that if phantom is a wolf, he is probably an extra wolf, thrown in to be lynched on Day 1. He might not even have been told that he is such...
Honestly, I could see this being done to me. The question is, will Fea, after pegging me as a WW in the narration, reduce the WW count to one, and only after the next one dies let the village know that actually there is yet another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
tp is an innocent, but he is a special sort of innocent. You can't kill him. Even if we vote to lynch him, or the wovles try to kill him, he simply won't die.
Okay, you are just plain scary. Fea's going to be ticked when she sees someone has already guessed one of the primary gags we planned for this village.
Quote:
Now for a bit of speculation causes shivers down my gaming spine: what if Feamoderator is the third werewolf? Is that completely outside the realm of possibility?
No.

And also, I thought I'd mention that Fea is absolutely loving us right now. We've managed to make her, a non-player, the center of this village.

Which is something I'm sure she was hoping to accomplish by removing most strategy and choosing only individuals she is familiar with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
++THE PHANTOM
I saw that coming yesterday.

But I also know you'll change your vote before the day is through, so no harm done.

(and yes, I realize that my arrogant declaration has made it more likely that you will not change your vote)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
What if you're lynched during the day? Still lynch Di, or someone else?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #55
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
No sane innocent villager would want to lynch me...I'm only a kill target. So, if killed at night lynch Diamond. You would have to understand our past to know the reason behind it...I can say no more.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #56
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am not nearly caught up as I work and am busier than normal. But from what I read I feel it a bit specious to believe Esty would be a wolf based on the fact that phantom and Ang would want her to. I believe Fea smarter than this and would know that many of us would want to see Esty as a wolf, my included. Honestly though, I could see her having the phantom as a wolf just to see him handle the pressure and 'play' with him so to speak. So if we are trying to assess how Fea would behave I would vote the phantom as my first pick.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Honestly though, I could see her having the phantom as a wolf just to see him handle the pressure and 'play' with him so to speak. So if we are trying to assess how Fea would behave I would vote the phantom as my first pick.
I would agree, but then again... and this is the slippery slope this approach falls into quite fast.

It would be quite easy to see Fea picking Roa as a wolf to see how she could manage with this crowd. We all know the stunning performances she has given us in previous games, especially as a baddie. It would be entertaining.

But shouldn't she also pick Diamond just for the reason Di gave us as the rule of her always being the innocent?

And Kath has always made a fantastic wolf as she seems to survive long in the games (at least by my "lorebooks"), she would be the wolf of Fea's choice if she wishes the game to go on for more than a couple of Days...

Or...

As you see. You can come up with a good reason for Fea picking about anyone to be a wolf in this game. So I'm not so sure how much this kind of approach is of help to us.

And she still might have made the choises in ways we have no idea about...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #58
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm
I could see her having the phantom as a wolf just to see him handle the pressure
What pressure?

Strategy and analysis is what I do. Strategy and analysis is what has been taken out of this village by the format and rules. Therefore I feel absolutely no pressure to win at all. Pressure can only exist in the presence of expectations, and being a rational sort of chap (as you know) I can't help but have no expectations for this little adventure.

By surviving to the end as a WW I wouldn't be proving my greatness. I would only be proving that the villagers had bad luck in lynching and I had good luck in killing. Does that sound like the sort of thing that would be attractive to an ego like me? And also, do you think Fea would choose me to be one of her precious two WWs when the very rules she has supplied would take away from me the very things that would make me a good WW choice in the first place?

In a regular village I could see it. In this village- no. Fea's too smart to pick me, and she knows good and well that I wouldn't want to be picked.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #59
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

One of the wolves was randomised. No one can be ruled out.

I shall stick to my vote to test the bounds of possibility, unless I have some new, brilliant plan...
Old 11-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #60
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
I completely forgot about that rule. That totally changes my mind. You're off my lynch list, Di. Who should I replace you with?
Boromir, of course. Have you not been paying attention?

Quote:
I agree completely.

However, as I'm not a wolf, and can't kill him at night, the following is my only recourse:

++Boromir

I may or may not return later.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #61
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am here and catching up. I have also been pondering Sauce's interest in the rules and am tipping towards to thinking that it is merely the lawyer looking for a loophole. However it is not impossible that it is a bluff .... however ... I need to catch up.

If it comes down to an arbitrary choice it may have to be Kath for me - she was the pick of my random villager selection procedure.... I hope it won't ..after all in a parallel universe she is my twin ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #62
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

It should be pointed out that phantom is not the only player who, by his plodding logic, is "too obvious" to be picked. Eomer and LMP have almost as telling claims, and possibly also me; which my the phantomial system rules out almost a third of the population.

I say we act as if both wolves were decided randomly; Fea's choice is not necessarily going to rely on who has had the highest profile frolicking with her, in some form or another, on the Downs.

I would still like to see the phantom lynched, in a spirit of charity, to give him a fair chance at joining the Fenris Pack. Also, by his own admission, his talents are superfluous here...
Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #63
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote of the Day

"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily do, not knowing what they do!"

--From Much Ado About Nothing (IV, i, 19-21)
Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #64
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

The Literature Student's Response

Will your Grace command me any service to the world's end? I will go on the slightest errand now to the Antipodes that you can devise to send me on. I will fetch you a hair off the great Cham's beard, do you any embassage to the Pygmies, rather then hold three words conference with this Harpy.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #65
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Interim comment

Would Fea be so mean as to create circumstances in which my Lord Anguirel could become Fenris wolf and bar? That might be too great an honour for him to bear .... hmm ...

Old 11-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #66
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di
Boromir, of course.
Lynch Boro? Absolutely not. He's not a WW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
Eomer and LMP have almost as telling claims, and possibly also me; which my the phantomial system rules out almost a third of the population.
What's wrong with ruling out "almost a third of the population"? You've got to start somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
I would still like to see the phantom lynched, in a spirit of charity, to give him a fair chance at joining the Fenris Pack.
But unfortunately, you cannot make me a Fenris Wolf in this game no matter what you do, for I am not a WW. And in the future if I am a WW, you won't suspect me and I will win. You know it's true. If you really really want me to join the Fenris Wolf pack, then mod a game, make me join, make me a wolf, and send pms to everyone to lynch me on Day 1.

If you lynch me today all that would be accomplished is the loss of my entertaining posts. And you know it in your gut, Ang, I know you do.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #67
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily do, not knowing what they do!"

--From Much Ado About Nothing (IV, i, 19-21)
"Do wah diddy, diddy dum diddy dum." --The Exciters, Manfred Mann, "Jesse and the Rippers".
Old 11-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #68
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

That was.... random.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #69
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Which was the point, I'm sure.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #70
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Does that mean we can lynch Bethberry?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #71
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom

But unfortunately, you cannot make me a Fenris Wolf in this game no matter what you do, for I am not a WW. And in the future if I am a WW, you won't suspect me and I will win.
Victory passes from man to man. To me, village! Throw off the shackles of your insidious village phantom!

Mith, you're not contemplating lynching me, are you? I always get biffed out of the invitation only games early...sniff...

I don't particularly suspect Boromir, incidentally, which is something of a first. If I wanted to skewer a wolf, rather than romp after petty grudges which is much more amusing at the moment, I'd probably vote for Nogrod. His Sauce case seems specious and he's playing this affair quite safe.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #72
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Yes. If you want to.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #73
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
To me, village! Throw off the shackles of your insidious village phantom!
Ahhh... the crusade has begun. How long have you waited for this opportunity, Ang?

You were a WW in WW I and I cast the first vote for you on Day 1 and got you lynched.

You tried to lynch me in WW IV and failed.

In WW X I was the WW and I left you, the Ranger, alive till the end and killed you.

In WWJ IX you were a WPenguin and I lynched you and your buddies.

Mwu ha ha ha! I OWN you Ang. Don't try and fight me. It won't help anything. Just accept your place in the village, which is "great player cursed with bad luck concerning all things phantomish."

While I'm here, my new lynch list-
Di
morm
Nogrod

People I won't be voting for today-
Ang
Boro
Eomer
Esty
Kath
lmp
mith
Roa
tp
SPM

Yes, you're back on the list, Di. I realize there is a Di=innocent rule, but rules were made to be broken, and who better than Fea to break rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Well, we could tackle the matter from the other side - each of us declares whether or not s/he is a werewolf! Really, people - are we going to trust phantom's word that he isn't?!
Ha ha ha! I was rereading and caught this. The thing that makes me laugh is that actually you should trust my word that I'm not a WW, for a reason that is obvious and yet probably not known except perhaps by one or two observant individuals who have been in many villages with me.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #74
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
If I wanted to skewer a wolf, rather than romp after petty grudges which is much more amusing at the moment, I'd probably vote for Nogrod. His Sauce case seems specious and he's playing this affair quite safe.
Nothing to do with our last game?

But actually one more thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
So, if killed at night lynch Diamond. You would have to understand our past to know the reason behind it...I can say no more.
But that's just the "tragedy" of this game. We can't take any hints from the Nightly kills either as the wolves are not a pack but individuals. So any reasonable wolf might just stick into this kind of relations among other people so that we would then interpret them in a way to her/ his advantage.

Sorry about being a bore and trying to be in the bussiness too...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #75
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

phantom old chap, you forgot WWII, where I was the Guardian and you killed me on Night 2...

Zeus the Skylord gives out good and bad fortunes to good and bad men just as he wishes...

The same gods do not always preside over the same people...
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM   #76
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
phantom old chap, you forgot WWII, where I was the Guardian and you killed me on Night 2...
You're right.

Wow.... things are even worse between us than I thought.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #77
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Come to think of it, I second Kath ...any chance of a deadline?
Old 11-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #78
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen

Yes. If you want to.
Great new twist, lynching people totally not in the game. Go ahead, Mith, make Fea's day: absolute randomness. absolutely.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #79
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
If it wouldn't give the wolves an advantage, lynching Bb would be a great idea!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #80
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That is tempting and would be suitably random ...

Ang, dear, I don't want to lynch you but your flattery belief in my innocence, while touching and well founded is a little disconcerting and reminds me of another time and another place, when you so nearly pulled the wool over my eyes...

Also I feel the odds are rather against us..... The odds of a wolf hitting another wolf relative to us hitting a wolf at all are somewhat lopsided. Looking ahead, it might be useful to know whether the kill was unanimous, very useful to know the near miss.. but because useful we are unlikely to find out......

I am a little wary of LMP .. not because I think him guilty but because of previous form of using WW to settle scores...

Little suspicious of Boromir .... but he is busy I know and there is the time zone thing ......

Did wonder wether there might be a wolf each side of the pond but that might be too balanced for Fea..

Raven in intro ..... a pointer at Quoth ?

All in all, nothing of substance ..I gave up making notes because while you are all amusing, no one knows a thing yet....

I don't think I can second guess Fea on what her most fun Werewolf combo would be.... after all in other company most of us would tend to be dominant wolves .... maybe with different styles ...some flamboyant Death or Glory types others cooler calculating assasins ....

Me? Not really in either category - I was spectacularly lucky in my successful wolvish outing. Ayway I'm not a wolf this time so... I maybe the weakest link .. the innocent you could most afford to lose... but I hope it won't be goodbye just yet ... this is befuddling but far from dull and I would like to stay a while......