The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Crimes Committed

In an article in the <B>Times</B> a magazine in the U.S. (is it in other countries?) It goes more in-depth with TTT. Or at least as in-depth as an un-baised reporter can be.<P>At one point, the writer puts a quote from Peter Jackson about the direction of the film and how close it is to the books. I don't have the exact quote, as I left the magazine in my da's car, but it went on about how TTT is the furthest from the book of all the movies. Also, he stated that "...as long as the movie is good, I am sure that no matter what crimes I commit, true Tolkien fans will be able to forgive me..." (again, not exact quote.). What do you think? What kind of 'crimes' do you think PJ will commit and will '<I>we</I>' be able to 'forgive' him? <P>Another part in the article writes a small paragraph of the main characters to be seen in TTT. To my distaste, Arwen is on there, leaving out Sam, Pippin, Merry, Eowyn, Saruman, etc. Does this mean anything? <P>Thanks, <BR>Aylwen
Old 11-27-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I think the Arwen thing is just that her and Aragorn have that little thing..."Oh, you have to leave Middle Earth"..."No, I don't want to leave you." Bla Bla Bla.<P>But the rest of it, hmmm....sounds interesting. I have no clue what that will mean. I mean, he can't change the movie THAT much can he? I would think he would stay as closest to the book as humanly possible. But ya know, it's Holleywood. They are always changing great classics just to meet the likings of those people who don't read the books.<P>It's like in the movie, The Count of Monte Cristo. The director made a quote in an interview that said somewhat..."My job wasn't to make a book. It was to make a movie." That is just how things are done in the movie business I guess.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:13 PM   #3
Hanna_Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Hanna_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hanna_Gamgee Send a message via Yahoo to Hanna_Gamgee
Pipe

Im guessing the crime hes talking about is killing Saruman in TTT instead of ROTK and having the elves possibly at helms deep. This is just a guess.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I think by crimes he means any change in general. Just take a looksee around the Downs: some people get very emotional over any changes to LotR. I think the remark was meant to be facetious.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:52 PM   #5
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The worst thing he could do is end it at the fields of Cormallen instead of have frodo sail west fromt he gray havens...
Old 11-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> TTT is the furthest from the book of all the movies <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The worst thing he could do is end it at the fields of Cormallen instead of have frodo sail west fromt he gray havens... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hate to break it to ya Helkasir, but Frodo doesn't leave until ROTK.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:01 AM   #7
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well if you look around the doens a bit you will realize that people are always putting peter jackson on trial about every little thing, and i agree that he probably means that any change he makes will look like a "crime" in the eyes of the rabid fans (well you must admitt most of us are rabid ) and to quote millions of people "you will never get a movie that satifies everyone" <P>But they didn't even have half of the cast in the article?!?! not even pippin and merry!?!? that's just nuts!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well I think it's the change in plot at firsth and second the mental stages of Frodo. It will be more action based cause a movie can't display toughts so they have to cut those tought peaces out and stretch out the action peaces.
________
Sc2 replays

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Fear not, I read in an article that PJ's fav moment is the Grey Havens... so they will be in ROTK.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I mean, he can't change the movie THAT much can he? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Well........ I don't know how to answer that fully. A lot is different... a lot. But the movie is still beautiful. There were small things that bugged me, but they didn't bug me enough to change my whole opinion of the movie.<BR>Also, the size of Arwen's role in this does not designate her such a large image on the poster. I don't know why they did it.<BR>But, the scene with her and Elrond is gorgeous, I actually really enjoyed it.<p>[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that part (Elrond and Arwen). It looks really good on the trailer. Since it isn't in the book I don't want any spoilers about it, though. When it comes to spoilers I'm basically curious about if favorite parts of the book will be in there. If it's new...I want it to be new!
Old 12-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

So many favorite parts of mine were left in (Yay!) & some of the new stuff is clearly breathtaking. It's well worth the wait and the surprise!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:17 AM   #12
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So Tiger Lily, was TTT better than FOTR?<BR>I still can't believe how lucky you are too have seen it already!<P>I wanna see the fight at Helm's deep and Faramir!! I hope PJ didn't leave out too much, TTT is my fave of the three books.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #13
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WHAT WHAT WHAT !?!?!?!? tiger lily you hav eseen it? did you post it somehwere, that i might read all the delicious details!? I must know!