The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! The Importance of Setting.

Setting, as we all know, is time and place. But, writers will use that small information of setting, to their advantage, to add depth to the story. Good writers will do this. This thread is to discuss the setting Tolkien gives us in his book, and what it adds to the story.

First off, there are 5 functions of setting:
1) Background for action-simple leads you into the action, leads you into the story.
2) Antagonist- this is the setting acting as the antagonist to the protagonist(s).
3) Creates atmosphere/mood- sets the tone basically, gives you a feeling. For example a dark, damp, dreary place, would give you uneasiness or a sense of evil.
4) reveals character- this is where the setting reveals info/characteristics about a certain character. For example where he's from, is he a man with determination and good of will, or is he evil and gives up easily.
5) reinforces the theme- some writers will use the setting to reinforce the whole theme/moral of the story.

Note: Background for action is only possible to be "used" if the other 4 functions are not used. But, the other 4 functions could be combined. For example, a setting could reveal something about a character, and it could act as the antagonist. Background for action is only used if the other 4 are not.

Have at it, I would like to get a good discussion going because Tolkien does use a lot of setting, and setting functions. There's Mordor, Rohan, Gondor, The Shire, or places like Lothlorien, Cirith Ungol, Minas Tirith, Caradhras, and Shelob's lair. Tell me what you think and how Tolkien is using these settings to add depth to his stories.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
4) reveals character- this is where the setting reveals info/characteristics about a certain character. For example where he's from, is he a man with determination and good of will, or is he evil and gives up easily.
The Tolkien setting that most clearly comes to mind would be Frodo in the Barrowdowns. Frodo struggled there: he could have left his companions and even Gandalf could blame him for leaving. But Frodo didn't. He chose the noble way, and stayed.

Quote:
2) Antagonist- this is the setting acting as the antagonist to the protagonist(s).
Mount Caradhras working against the Fellowship.

Quote:
3) Creates atmosphere/mood- sets the tone basically, gives you a feeling. For example a dark, damp, dreary place, would give you uneasiness or a sense of evil.
Lorien gives the Fellowship a sense of rest and peace.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

I definately had Mount Caradhras in mind for "Antagonist." That is a clear one. You can argue the journey of Frodo and Sam, any sort of place could act as the antagonist. Mount Doom, Gorgoroth, Emyn Muil, all "physical places" that get in the way and try to stop Frodo from his one task.

I like your post about the Barrow-downs. That is an interesting one that I never really thought of. Good point, we get to see Frodo choose between his friends or his own life, definately reveals a lot about him.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
I'd think that the Prancing Pony is a place where characters were revealed. Aragorn was introduced here, and in the case of the movies, the Wraiths were introduced up close. Also, it is also the place where Gandalf's efficiency couldn't be questioned.

Shelob's does a lot, as it reveals another side of Sam, aside from revealing who and what Shelob, and not to mention the unreliable truth behind Gollum.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Imladris, another thing I thought of with the barrow-downs, would be the old forest itselft. It could also add atmosphere. We hear Fatty Bolger speak so badly of the place, Merry says there's nothing to fear, and of course its this mystical place. What more to make it mystical then having a barrow-wight, some strange Bombadil, and walking trees? Another thing to look at would be just because a place "seems" or is "thought" of as evil, the author will throw a curveball and put in something not expected. The Old Forest has such a bad name to most hobbits, but yet the good-hearted Bombadil dwells there. Fangorn, is full of of bad news, and as is described "the air is so close." Yet, the loveable Ents are there. With Lothlorien, Boromir as well as Eomer, seems to give it a bad name, because of what people don't understand, but the place is mistaken, and as you said, is a place of peace and rest.

Neferchoirwen, very true about the Prancing Pony. We see hear Butterbur, a warm, kind, although not totally bright inkeeper, in a warm kind inn to stay at. And, then we have this mysterious Strider who first comes off as a man to stay away from, but we now get to see his lineage, and that "sword that was broken." It is here where we first get to see Aragorn's will, and determination of becoming a King. I think, Shelob's lair is the hardest test for Sam, here is where we get to see how truly loyal he is to Frodo. As you said, we see that treachorous Gollum.