The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question Am I "Missing" something?

I can't figure out where in the soundtrack these lyrics are from:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>17. The Missing <P>Words by Philippa Boyens, translated into Old English (Rohirric) by David Salo, music by Howard Shore. <BR> <P>Héo naefre wacode dægréd <BR>Tó bisig mid dægeweorcum <BR>Ac oft héo wacode sunnanwanung <BR>Ðonne nihtciele créap geond móras <BR>And on ðaere hwile <BR>Héo dréag ðá losinga <BR>Earla ðinga ðe héo forléas. <BR>Héo swá oft dréag hire sáwle sincende <BR>Héo ne cúðe hire heortan lust. <P>'She never watched the morning rising,<BR>Too busy with the day's first chores,<BR>But oft she would watch the sun's fading,<BR>As the cold of night crept across the moors.<BR>And in that moment<BR>She felt the loss<BR>Of everything that had been missed.<BR>So used to feeling the spirit sink,<BR>She had not felt her own heart's wish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Is this about Arwen or Éowyn? In the soundtrack booklet there is a picture of Arwen, but the lyrics (and the fact that they're in Old English rather than Elvish) seem to be about Éowyn.<P>Where do these lyrics go and who are they about? By "where" I mean, are these the lyrics sung during "Evenstar" or "Breath of Life" or what? Confusion reigns... <p>[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 01-02-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was wondering about that too, I still cannot figure it out, maybe someone who was better in Elvish than me could give me some clues. I would love to find out which song it is in.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:19 PM   #3
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would think Eowyn, only because it speaks of "chores," and and Elf princess wouldn't do them; and a better example, the line "She had not felt her own heart's wish" could be about her pre-Aragorn after Theodred had died. Just another thought I came up with in 2 seconds
Old 01-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was also wondering about that. I couldn't fidn it in any of the songs either. But like Barodir said..i think it's probably about Eowyn. Because of the part wit hthe chores and such.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Did anyone get a special edition ($30!) CD? Maybe it's an extra track or something...
Old 01-02-2003, 09:58 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

The Eye

I have the special edition CD, and the only bonus track is "Farewell to Lórien".<P>Everything about the song points to Éowyn except the fact that they inserted a big picture of Arwen right next to the lyrics in the booklet. I tried to listen closely to the lyrics in "Evenstar" whilst looking at the Old English lyrics, but it didn't sound like what I was looking at. But there aren't any lyrics that go with Arwen! And on the other hand, I don't remember hearing vocals sung during any of Éowyn's screen time. Argh...!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yup, this really seem to be somewhat of a mystery - supposedly these lyrics should be sung in Old-English, but their nowhere to be found...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

I was wondering the same thing, and I thought they might go to Evenstar, and I thought a few words sounded the same, but there's so much of the echo that it's kinda hard to understand. the lyrics do mostly point to Eowyn, but some could be related to Arwen (how she felt about leaving in the movie) I'm also trying to figure out what The Ents lyrics are for. <P>ummm, this might be off topic, but in Gollum's Song, does anyone know what GOllum is singing to? I thought it might be the ring, but the ring can't cry, is it Frodo?<p>[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Maylin ]
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:29 AM   #9
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Arwen is not an Elf-Princess. <p>[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]
Old 01-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Ah, but close enough not to do chores. <P>As to Gollum's Song, I'm pretty sure it's Gollum "singing" to Frodo. Only Frodo would be crying and lost and away from home, like the second verse talks about. I had considered it being Sméagol to Gollum and Gollum to Sméagol...but I don't think so. Anyway, <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001396" TARGET=_blank>here</A> is a thread devoted to Gollum's Song if you want to explore it further.<P>I think "The Ents" goes with Isengard Unleashed. I have trouble matching up the words, but when you look at the English translation it certainly fit with that part in the movie.<P>I wonder why all the lyrics (except for Gollum's Song) have different titles than the tracks on the CD. It sure makes it difficult to pinpoint what lyrics go with what song. And then however am I supposed to sing along?
Old 01-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #11
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought that gollums song is refferinfg to the two sides of gollum, the one who is saying "we are lost" is the the good one while the one says "the tears come to late" is the bad gollum.
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #12
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Everything about the song points to Éowyn except the fact that they inserted a big picture of Arwen right next to the lyrics in the booklet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm... in my version, the text is next to a picture of Peter Jackson...<P>I'm positive "The Missing" is about Éowyn - wouldn't a song about Arwen have been in Elvish? And I think "The ents" is in Isengard Unleashed...
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I'm pretty sure "The Missing" is about Eowyn too - the question is, where on the soundtrack do they sing it, if at all?<P>& I believe Gollum is by & large singing to himself or selves...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #14
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I too think it is about Eowyn, seeing it's sung in Old English and the lyrics seem to work with her. I'm fairly sure the song is in Breath Of Life. When I listened to it, it seemed to work...
Old 01-09-2003, 09:30 PM   #15
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hmm... in my version, the text is next to a picture of Peter Jackson... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh dear... Yup, in the special edition it's Arwen...that shot of her that was one the poster, where she is looking over her shoulder.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #16
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Could those be the lyrics to the horrible pop song at the end of TTT? The one that sounds like a kid singing into one of those plastic reverb mics... The people I went with wouldn't stay for the credits, and I don't remember what the beginning of the song sounded like, I was trying to block it out of my head.
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

No, that horrible pop song, as you put it (and I agree entirely) is Gollum's song.<P>I don't know what I have next to the lyrics in mine. I didn't really pay attention to the pictures (before I saw the movie), I just tried to figure out where the lyrics were from, and it sounded like they were in Breath Of Life.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I see. Well, I don't have the sound track yet, and I've only seen TTT twice. Sad, huh?
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote