The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #41
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Interesting. I'm in the midst of my sixth reading ever, which was from the beginning straight through, and just like the very first time, I got as far as chapter one of RotK, and can't get motivated to keep going. *lmp shrugs*
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #42
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As this thread asks more for experiences and opinions than actual book discussion, I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum, where similar topics are placed. Please continue reading and posting there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #43
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Feel free to stone me, anybody, but I really had (and still have, I guess) to push myself to finish everything concerning Frodo, Sam, and Gollum. Sure, there was an ecstatic little push over the arrival of Faramir, but I felt it considerably slow down again when he was gone.

Also, the parts after the second "breaking" of the Fellowship are too hard to read for me. Aside from them being too melancholic, I have to admit that hobbits never really captivated me much.

*ducks flaming projectiles*

Whenever I pick up the book randomly (without having any intention to actually sit down and read), I find myself going to any Eowyn chapter, or the earlier chapters of both Book Five and Six. Sometimes I go with Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn to meet up unexpectedly with Gandalf, then accompany them to Meduseld and quietly leave them as they prepare for Helm's Deep.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #44
Valandil

Leaf Newbie alert

Since I finished reading the LoTR for the first time just days ago I can only comment on one experience. I'll take a deep breath and tell you about it with the hope that I can add something to the discussion.

I'm a bit embarrased to say that I'm 38 years old and just read the book. I read it in less than two weeks while I was bedridden with illness and bored out of my mind. I can't find the words to adequately describe what it was like for me to read the story. I rarely have the opportunity to sit still for any length of time so it was a bit surreal to go from a very fast-paced life with little opportunity for leisure to suddenly come to a screeching halt with a very heavy book in my lap (I have the hard-cover, one-volume edition). I was astonished by what I found once I opened the door that I always knew was there (who hasn't heard of the LoTR?) but never bothered opening. I thought I had too many other "important" things to do than read a fantasy book. Little did I know what a good time investment it would be for the condition of my soul. Reading the story as an adult has reminded me of what it was like before I became somewhat cynical about human nature and of life itself. It's reintroduced a sense of hope and reminded me of the importance of love and friendship. In a nutshell, it breathed new life into my weary bones and mind.

Anyway, I obviously read the book straight through. I very much want to read it again because the material is dense with detail and I know I didn't absorb it all. To be honest, I hope that my urgency to learn more about Tolkien decreases a bit because I'm losing too much sleep reading on the Internet! I believe my interest will continue... just hoping for a more managable intensity level.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #45
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome to the Downs and things Tolkien in general, Valandil. It was good to read about your personal experience, fresh as it was. You're not the only reader who came to the book(s) later than, say, 20.

If you want some help in navigating to some good threads to get you started, just ask. I'm sure there are plenty of "dead" folks here willing to help, including me.

~LMP~
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #46
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I read it in red. I read it in blue.
I read it in pickle color too.
I read it in bed, and in purple, and in brown.
I read it in a circle and upside down.
I read it with my left eye.
I read it with my right.
I read Laurelindorinan with my eyes shut tight.