User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 04:25 PM   #481
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘As you wish!’ cried Pio, merrily, as she let go the Hobbit’s hand. ‘But I will hold you to your promised songs once the music is done and our feet are tired.’ Her eyes sparkled with an impish light. ‘Best you practice them, and quickly. For I shall surely call on you.’

She ran to the center of the room, and grabbed the hands of Elwyn and Durman as she entered the dancers. ‘Springle-ring!’ she shouted to Jatyn, Rie, and Cami, motioning them into the circle she had formed.

‘A lively beat, if you will, musician. And we shall do a Shire dance for you!’ Pio clapped her hands in beat to the music, then pushed Cami forward, to the center f the Ring. ‘Show them how it’s done!’ she laughed, watching her friend leap lightly in the energetic dance.

Durman, a surprised look on his face, was next hauled into the center as Cami took her place in the swaying Ring. The dancers stamped their feet and clapped loudly, encouraging him to dance for them.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:47 PM   #482
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It all had happened so quick, Durmán could hardly understand what was going on. Before he knew, he was in the centre of the ring, everyone's eyes fixed on him.

He felt the blood rush on his cheeks and his heart pounding. This was certainly not what he had wanted, but there was no way he could escape now.

He took a few hesitating steps, trying to remember the dances he had seen when he had stayed with the Elves, but felt very self-conscious and ridicule.

Soon he excused himself and rushed out of the circle and to the counter. His cheeks were burning when he ordered an ale.

He wasn't angry at anyone else, though. How could they know he had never danced in his life!

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]
Old 12-29-2002, 05:28 PM   #483
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As Elanor watched the dancing, she began to wish that she wasn't so scared of it.

She sat down at a nearby table, watching, trying to build up her courage. At last she threw down her apron and went up to Tom, the hobbit lad she had been talking to earlier that night.

"You've been working much too hard for a hobbit," She said, startling him. "You're dancing with me."

"But I thought you were scared of dancing, isn't that what you told Miss Pio?" Tom reminded her.

"I never said any such thing," Elanor protested.

"I can't, I've got too much work to do." He shook his head, backing away from her.

"There's no such thing as work now, silly. Come on!" She dragged him out to the dancers and the two hobbits began a jaunty little Shire jig that was completely out of rythm with the music. But that was no matter, she had finally overcome her silly fear and was having the time of her life. The work could wait. For now, there was only fun and her new friend, Tom.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:37 PM   #484
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Robin glanced over to the table where Lindelot was sitting and saw the elf was watching the dancers and smiling softly, yet rather sadly, as if she were thinking how she would never again see what she was seeing now, or as if some terrible misfortune would fall upon the merry hobbits.

She's leaving, thought Robin. She's leaving just like the rest of the elves are. She's not coming back, either.

Sighing, she turned to Dinodas, and saw that he was looking at her with a funny expression on his face. She just stared at him as he stood up and put out his hand. Then it hit her what he was trying to do.

"Oh... no..." she said, shaking her head, which made her brown curls bounce from one cheek to the other. "I will not, Dinodas Green."

"Yes you will, Robin Brandybuck," replied Dinodas, and snatching her hand he dragged her to the other dancers. Robin gave an audible sigh, but her eyes were smiling. When was the last time she had danced? Maybe it would be fun.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:14 PM   #485
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

The elf frowned as she was called back by the innkeeper. She walked over to the table not wishing to speak, though it seemed that was what the other had in mind.

She looked at the man sitting at the table and how he seemed to tense when the other mentioned him.

The innkeeper motioned for her to sit in one of the chairs at the table. Not wanting to arouse anyone elses attention she sat and watched the man across from her.

As the lady left, the elf sat forword in her chair and asked." I am called Harenthiel, what do you want of me?" She looked at the man, and waited for his response.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-29-2002, 09:23 PM   #486
Rai

Silmaril

Her song finished, Jatyn sat down, feeling pleased with herself. It had obviously effected some people, for the busy inn had seemed to quieten when she'd been singing.

Jatyn walked up to the innkeeper. "Excuse me, sir, but would you be so kind as to rent me a room for the night?" She hastily reached into her pack and pulled out some coins.

Please remember paragraph breaks -Cami

Old 12-29-2002, 10:14 PM   #487
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie laughed as Pio called her into the circle. A Shire dance, what fun! She loved to dance, and to learn new dances, and wasn't afraid of doing it on the spot in front of everyone--she always had in the past, often at her brothers' insistance. She felt like a child at her father's house again, with Talormé and Alanai (her elder brothers) pushing her into folk dances--always into the solo position, and always in front of the boy she fancied.

She watched Cami as she entered the center of the circle and began a quick, lively dance. Rie laughed and clapped her hands to the beat, carefully watching the innkeeper's feet to learn the steps. Eventually she shook her head and gave it up--she'd learn as she went, or trip trying!

To Rie's utter shock, the next person hauled into the middle of the ring was the strange Ranger whom she had approached. She watched as he tried a few halting steps, and then left. "To be sure, he didn't grow up with my brothers," she thought with a smile, and turned her thoughts back to the dance, paying no more heed to him.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:28 AM   #488
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It was all a bit of a blur for poor Mr. Proudfoot. One moment he had been smoking at a table with the fair-voiced stranger, next thing he knew he was being bustled off into the kitchen. Although not quite understanding what was going on, the pipeweed had put Biffo in a good mood, and he went along with the Hobbit-girl's scheme.

"Idle hands do the devil's work, after all, Miss - we don't mind giving you a hand, do we Mister?"

Biffo rolled up his sleeves and started on a large pile nearest the door. After a few moments he could make out Belle Proudfoot's quick chattery voice from the rest of the babble. He was reminded of the last family supper at his Aunt Petunia's, washing crocks for hours on end with her peering over his shoulder and prodding him with her cane. That was an occasion best forgotten quickly!

Biffo did not talk to the man next to him, preferring to get on with the task at hand. Oblivious for the time being to the man's fair voice, he murmured snatches of a few of his own favourite songs, the ones that had helped him to get through the long hours tobacco-harvesting the last few weeks.

"I'd while away the hours,
Conversing with the flowers,
da dee dee de dee dum..."

It was not long before Biffo noticed the stranger next to him beginning to slump his shoulders. Shortly afterwards the man left, obviously considering his job done. 'Hmmph - hard day's work never hurt noone,' thought Biffo. 'Now where is that Cami girl, anyway? Or that innkeeper lass? Knew I'd get into trouble for thinking she were a Dwarf!"

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: doug*platypus ]
Old 12-30-2002, 03:40 AM   #489
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Quote:
. . . Or that innkeeper lass? Knew I'd get into trouble for thinking she were a Dwarf!"
Pio smiled when she heard this bit of Biffo's conversation with himself. She swung the door to the kitchen open, and walked in quietly, keeping her eye on the Hobbit who stood at the stone sink on a low, red stool.

He did not hear her approach, as he plied his dish rag with great vigor over the platter in his hand. Up to his elbows in the soapy water, he paused occasionally to talk to the plates and cutlery, not minding that they did not answer him in kind.

'A nice job you've done here.' she said , coming up behind him. 'Despite what your cousin Belle has warned me of.' Biffo, startled by a voice other than his own, nearly dropped the platter he had just finished scrubbing.

Pio handed him a towel to dry his hands, and poured a pint for him. 'Thirsty - dish duty, or so I've always found it.' She pushed him gently out the door to the common room, saying there was a place for him in the Springle Ring if he wished to dance.

The door swung shut behind him, and she turned to the remainder of the dishes and hurried through them. 'Best not let Belle see the quality of this work!' she said to herself.

Once done, she put on a dry apron and went out to see to the needs of the patrons.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:07 AM   #490
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“I wanted no more than to know of your name,” he replied, quiet as always. He drank of the cup Pio had left, before continuing,

“You are hiding, and I will not press you to know what or whom you hide from for that is not my way, but might I know where it is you travel from? I do not recognise you, although I may know those you know or knew."

Sitting forward from the shadows that had been cast upon his hooded face he looked at her with a piercing gaze. His face remained expressionless.

“You remind me of someone although I do not recognise yourself. I will question you no further and you are not bound to answer anything you do not wish, but I will advise you; if you want to continue to go unnoticed, don’t use your weapons to ward others off.”

With that he returned to the shadows, watching and awaiting any answers she might wish to give.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 12-30-2002, 08:19 AM   #491
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Harenthiel watched the man as he sat back in the shadows. He did not stop watching her, his gaze, piercing and hard.

"I come from Rivendell to visit friends of mine here in the Shire. My father is an elven warrior that travels all through Middle-Earth, his name is Dûnmenel."

She stared at the hooded face in front of her." That is all I will say, but do I not have the right to know your name?"

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Carlas ]

Old 12-30-2002, 10:57 AM   #492
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As the man was about to say his name, another man, tall and muscular, dark-brown hair and beard with blue-grey eyes, carrying a sheild on his back and a sword by his belt entered the pub. He looked around, as if looking for someone. He looked towards the man and shouted "You!". He immediatly un-sheathed his blade and exclaimed "You are the one I am hunting, for high treason against Gondor!" He started to run towards the man, but Harenthiel stopped him. "Who are you and what do you want with this man?"

"I am Barodir, son of Barodel, and I am a guard of Gondor! This man has stolen many items and treasures of the White City, and I was commanded to capture him."

"Barodir!" the hooded man said. "I am not the one you are searching for. But, if he truly is in this area, he will come here."
To this, Harenthiel added "Stay and drink and sing with the rest of us!"
Barodir answered "No, I am not one to sing. All I require is some Ale and pipe-weed, then I shall be content by myself. Thank you anyway.

"And you" he said, pointing to the man again,"if you are lying, I will slit your throat as you slumber." He then put his blade away, went to the bar, got what he needed, and found a seat near the fireplace.

"What was that all about?" Harenthiel asked. The man replied "Nothing. Now where were we?..."

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Barodir ]

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Barodir ]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:14 PM   #493
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio watched the interchange between the newcomer and the fair haired wanderer closely. She had seen him draw his sword and speak roughly to both the man and the young Elf, Harenthiel.

The fire of the newcomers zeal abated and her gaze followed him as he walked across the room and seated himself at a table after demanding a drink from Merri at the bar.

Seeing that he had nearly finsished the one drink, she drew another pint and approached his table, her eyes glinting coldly in the warm light of the fireplace. Carefully she placed the drink before him.

As he reached for it, the knife beneath her sleeve flashed out into her hand and she skewered his sleeve to the table. 'Should you have any further such business in the Inn, sirrah,' she hissed at him quietly, 'you will consult me first. Keep your weapons sheathed while in here. I will not have the safety of my customers jeopardized by your rash actions. Do I make myself clear, man of Gondor?'

Pio withdrew her blade, placing it carefully in the sheath strapped to her forearm. Wiping a small puddle of ale from the table top that had spilled during this brief encounter, she then turned smiling, back to the other patrons in the room.

'Nothing to see here.' she said, as she walked through the gathered crowd. She took her place behind the bar, calling out to the musicians and singers to please go on . . .

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:18 PM   #494
Derakis
Pile O'Bones

Derakis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Derakis
Sting

Derakis looks to the people he has been speaking with. "It has been a most educating experince speaking wiht you. If you are in need of any help, don't hesitate to find me."

He over to the door. Opening it, he walks out into the cool air of the outdoors. Taking a deep breath, he walks onto the beaten Road...
Old 12-30-2002, 12:41 PM   #495
Rai

Sting

Getting ignored by the dancing innkeeper, Jatyn sniffed her disapproval and sat down at one of the tables, this one populated by a young Elf and a light-haired man.
"Do they always do that to you?" she asked. "Ignore you like that?"

-Jatyn Coolheart-

~*The winds of evil flag against me, yet I am immovable.*~

Old 12-30-2002, 12:51 PM   #496
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio smacked herself in the head when she saw Jatyn sit down at the table with the Elf and man. 'Those shire dances are dangerous. Drive all the thoughts right from your head.'

She called Elanor to her and told her where to find fresh linen for the bed. Sending the Hobbit up the stairs to prepare the room, she approached the table where Jatyn sat. 'Your pardon, if you will. I have just sent someone to make up your room - number seven, up the stairs and down the hall on your left.'

She looked closely at Jatyn. 'I do like to see payment in advance if you please. It will be five coppers a night, or a silver penny, if you wish breakfast included."
Old 12-30-2002, 01:13 PM   #497
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

1420!

"I'm exhausted," said Robin, moving back towards the table. "I haven't danced in a long while, so I'm not used to it."

"Well," said Dinodas, as he walked towards the counter to get an ale, "now would be a good time to get used to it once again."

Robin ignored him and went over to where Lindelot was sitting. She sat down next to the elf and gave a quiet, "Hello."

"Suilad, tithen perian iell," Lindelot replied in her own tongue.

"I don't know much elvish," said Robin. "But I think I know enough to say that you said, 'Greetings, little hobbit maid.'"

"That is what I did say," said Lindelot, nodding. "Days are changing, with young hobbit maids speaking the tongue of the elves."

"My friend Nurumaiel who is an elf taught me," replied Robin. "At least, she taught me a little bit. She's not too good at speaking elvish herself."

"Indeed?" said Lindelot, trying to hide a smile. "Where is this Nurumaiel?"

"He's over there," said Robin, pointing at Nurumaiel. "She's sitting next to the man from Rohan. He's called Firramer. Why don't you go over and speak with them?"

Lindelot gave a nod and stood up, moving over to Nurumaiel. When she reached the elf she touched her on the shoulder and said, "Suilad, gwanur."

Nurumaiel turned and a smile appeared on her face. "Greetings," she said. "Would you like to sit down?"

"Hannad (thank you)," Lindelot said. After she had sat she asked, "Man togle i Trann (what brings you to the Shire)?"

"Mellonen, i perian iell orennas... im tolan cenpain perianen mellyn (My friend, the hobbit girl over there... I came to see all my hobbit friends)."

Lindelot nodded. "Sen dor periannath lend sad (This land of the hobbits is a sweet place)."

"Ar hain i cuiasi (And so are they who live here)," Nurumaiel agreed.

Lindelot smiled to herself. Perhaps she could speak with an Elf who dwelt on Middle-earth once more before she left forever, to Valinor.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #498
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

He sat feeling worried and confused. Remaining hidden by his cloak and hood was obviously causing much confusion. Looking back to Harenthiel he said quietly, but awkwardly and unsurely,

"I am Erdaminéon, an Elf, although it seems that many have not yet realised that, as they come rushing at me with unfounded accusations."

With this he turned to glare at the guard who had accused him, before once again removing his hood, to reveal the fair hair and clear eyes he had been hiding.

"I suppose I would be best not to hide myself anymore," he said this without taking his eyes off Barodir, "for it seems that Men will still rush you with empty accusations. Maybe he should learn to check he has the right thief before going for their throat."

He looked back to the Elf who sat at his table and said,

"Well now we know each other, and I know of your business," at this he looked slightly suspicious of her, but the look passed, "maybe you should continue to where you were going before I interrupted you."

He then sat back again, regarding Barodir with a look of disgust.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 12-30-2002, 02:44 PM   #499
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Harenthiel stood up silently from the table and looked into the elf's eyes.

"Well then Erdaminéon, be careful, I do not trust that man. It was nice to meet you, namarie."She smiled and walked towards the stairs.

Looking back she saw the innkeeper take out her knife and threaten Barodir. She held back her laughter at the look on his face and climbed up the stairs.

Old 12-30-2002, 03:09 PM   #500
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

After Pio came over and threatened him, Barodir decided to watch his manners.

Still, he just couldn't shake the thought of Erdamineon being the robber. He waited for Pio and Harenthiel to leave, and then approached Erdamineon more casually.
"So, if you are not my robber, then who are you?" he asked.

The Elf replied "I am Erdamineon, son of..."

"Have you ever been to Gondor?" Barodir interupted

"I have, but on official business." Erdamineon answered harshly, tired of the guards accusations and questioning.

"Hmph!" Barodir sneered. "Tell me, what part of Gondor were you in."

"Minas Tirith, but it was long ago." the Elf replied.

"Well," Barodir said as he brought out a journal, "we shall see. This log book holds all records of the events of the day the treasures were stolen, and," pointing to a certain point on a page, "it says an Elf with fair looking hair was seen with a large bag over his horses back, and" taking a second to look at Erdamineon, "you match the description!"

"I assure, on that date, I was nowhere near Minas Tirith" Erdamineon replied. "But, you'll notice that the Elf in the book is said to have shady eyes, and mine are clear, as you can tell."

Barodir, hearing he had made a mistake, searched the page, saw the error he made and went red. "Err...sorry...you must forgive me, I'm quick to judge and I forget things frequently....err, I guess you're innocent."

"You are forgiven. We all make mistakes every once in a while." Erdamineon said. "Next time, please think before you act." To this, Barodir went red even more.

"However, I do know one Elf that matches that description." Erdamineon said. "He's actually in this area, and I could take you to...."

Just then, the door swung open, and there was the Elf that Barodir was searching for, seemingly ready to kill...

please see my private message - Cami

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Barodir ]
Old 12-30-2002, 03:28 PM   #501
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio picked up one of the heavy clay pint glasses and threw it swift and sure at the Elf's head. He looked bemused as stars in the shape of Wilwarin floated through the impending blackness of his mind.

Leaping over the bar, her own sword drawn, she ran to disarm the unwelcome entrant. Once done, she dragged him from the Inn and tied him to the horse he had ridden in on. Giving the steed a smart slap on the hindquarters, she sent him down the road.

Barodir had come running out behind the two, and now stood hands on hips looking in frustration at the retreating rear of the Elven steed.

'Looks like you will have to run after him if you wish to catch him, man of Gondor.' she said, looking at the vanishing cloud of dust.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-30-2002, 04:00 PM   #502
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Barodir looked at Pio and smiled. "You know, for someone who threatened to stab my hand, and is making me work harder, your not too bad. "

Pio looked bewildered at him. She obviously didn't get the sarcasm out of what he said.

"Right," Barodir said,"I'll get him. I'll be back in at least an hour. Farewell for now my friends!" And at that, he tore out of the Green Dragon after the thief.

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Barodir ]

Old 12-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #503
Merri
Wight

Silmaril

Elanor sighed. Of course, she'd have to begin work just as she was about to have fun. She had just enough time to flash an apologetic smile at Tom before she was whisked off by Miss Pio and shown where the bed linens were.

But just before she went on her way up the stairs, she caught sight of the hilarious scene going on at that moment, and watched, shaking with silent laughter, as Miss Pio successfully humiliated the difficulty-causing man. She shook her head. It was time to work now. Playtime was over. For the moment, anyway.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:32 PM   #504
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

When Rie felt that finally she could dance no longer without stepping on someone's toes, she bowed out of the circle and went to get some water. (She had had her fill of ale, and her mother--for some reason or another--had always warned her against drinking ale after vigorous dancing.)

She stood and watched the dancers, clapping and cheering and laughing as they continued to dance. Then she heard a loud thump, and turned in time to see a pint glass hitting a newcomer, an Elf, squarely on the head, and Pio quickly disarming him and dragging him outside. She shook her head. "Good thing that I didn't get on her bad side," she said to herself. Then, unable to stop herself, she put her water down, cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted "Nice shot, Pio!"
Old 12-30-2002, 07:29 PM   #505
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

He heard the confusion down stairs and was awakened.Suddenly a great crash and shouts filled the inn.

"Shurly will not get any rest till the rest are in be" he said out loud.

So he packed his gear and came out of his room to the main room.He than sat down to the bar.

"Pio what is happening down here?" he asked.

"The crashing the shouts throwing out strangers in the middel of the night"he said with a suprised look on his face.

"There looks to be a stranger who was hooded but is an Elf no doubt and so much dancing and singing.Is it possibal to get some wine to help me get back to rest?"he said wide awake now.

He now looked around and said in a wisper"So who is this unhooded stranger?"he said with a nod towrds the Elf.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:38 PM   #506
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Barodir then entered the inn, sweat-beaded and dead tired. The other guests shook with a silent laughter at what Pio did to him earlier in the night.

However, he didn't bother to retaliate. The theif had been caught and slain, but the treasures had been lost. Also, the Elf theif had stabbed Barodir's left arm, which was now bleeding profusely and was starting to swell.

At sight of the wound, the guests stopped laughing and stared at him. Some gasped, but most were just silent.

He started to walk to a chair where his ale was, but he stopped halfway there. He looked about, took a step, and passed out onto a table...
Old 12-30-2002, 10:03 PM   #507
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

"Iluvatar!" Rie gasped as Barodir collapsed. His arm looked terrible; soaked with blood, it didn't look like the flow had stopped yet. And it was very swollen. Rie ran up to him, catching him before he could slide off the table and perhaps harm himself even more.

Her fingers trembling a little, she tore his sleeve away from the wound and searched it. She didn't know why; she was no healer. Even so, she knew that it was a grave wound, and that Barodir had lost a lot of blood. Her father and brothers were Rangers, but she had never seen them actively wounded: they had always been bandaged and fixed up before she saw them. Still, this was a worse wound than any in her family had ever received. Her breath began to come in quick, panicked gasps as the horrible thought that Barodir might die arose in her mind. She could hardly find her voice to cry for help.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:11 PM   #508
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Grasping the tankard with a look of pleasant surprise on his face, Biffo let himself be bustled back the other way, into the common room. A merry dance was in progress as he appeared, that much he had sensed from the kitchen.

The Hobbit took a sip of his ale while he considered his options. His cousin second removed (or something) Belle waved to him, catching his eye. He smiled politely, and then rolled his eyes when he thought she wouldn't see. That made Biffo's mind up, and he wandered over to an empty table on the other side of the dancefloor.

Biffo remained at the side table, drinking his beer and taking in his surroundings. He watched the episode with the Man of Gondor with great interest, although detached interest. Much as he wanted to leave the Shire for a while on some kind of mission, he was not about to take up with an unstable maniac. Pio the innkeeper has things firmly in hand, he thought to himself. No need to be stuck like a pig for his morals, not today at any rate! Biffo knew that the long dagger he kept concealed whenever "out and about" would deter any normal pickpockets of the Shirefolk, but he had no illusions about his chances against a warrior of the Big People. And so, he sat, and drank, and bided his time.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:41 PM   #509
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle looked around,making sure she wouldn't be seen before quietly slipping out from under the table onto the bench.She hoped no one saw her hide from the arguement,but everyone seemed too preoccupied with thier own conversations to pay her any attention.She smiled,hearing about the joke over Pio's throwing,but she was worried.
"I think it's best to tell mother I woke up in another house,no,just go home and try not to wake anyone,hmmmm....what if Pio and Cami tell her I was here?I'd really get it then...well,I want more tea,I'll get more tea,then go,it can't get any worse"she quieted herself when she realized she was thinking out loud.
She saw a big person walk awkwardly in and collapse at a table,looking closer,she noticed blood.
"AAAIII!!!"she screamed before crawling back under the table.The hair on the back of her neck stood up,and she had a feeling another arguement was coming.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:28 AM   #510
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Too late for stitches.'commented the Elf calmly as she examined the Man's left arm. 'Elanor! Bring me the small keg of Dwarven spirits, a pitcher of fresh water, and that dark leather satchel there under the bar.' The Hobbit sprang into action, and soon the items were at hand.

Pio had called on several of the patrons to position Barodir more squarely in the center of the table. Rie and Eruantalon pulled on the fellows shoulders, looping their arms beneath his armpits and heaving him slowly up and over on the surface, so that his head touched the edge of the table at one end.

Biffo, his cousin Belle and Elanor shoved on the heavy man's legs until they too were squarely aligned with the edges of the table.

Pio ripped open the man's shirt sleeve from wrist to shoulder, exposing a gash about the depth of her little finger, running from his mid forearm to a point just below his shoulder. 'Hold him down.' she said to her assistants and five bodies flung themselves over the supine figure.

She sluiced a little water from the pitcher over the wound, cleansing out the debris. 'Hold tight now.' she cautioned the others, as she poured a quantity of fiery Dwarven spirits along the length of the wound to prevent infection. The man writhed in agony, but Pio was unrelenting in her care.

Taking a small pot of aloe unguent from the satchel, she applied it liberally to the wound then packed the gash with sphagnum moss and wrapped clean linen strips about it.

By the time she had finished, he had come fully awake, the pain from the wound and her ministrations making him moan. 'Here,' she said, propping his head up with her hand,'drink this.' she trickled a small short stream of honey colored liquid between his lips.

'What's that?' asked Elanor, her eyes wide at all that had gone on.

'Elixir of poppy.' said Pio, smiling, as she motioned for Rie and Eruantalon to help her stand the man. 'it will take the pain from him for a while, and give him pleasant dreams.' Now help me get him up to a bed. We'll tuck him in, and I'll check on him later.'

It was nearing midnight when she came, carrying a candle, to see him. His face was flushed and his breathing deep and regular. Behind his closed lids moved dreams and wonders. She checked his arm - the dressing was dry, no further bleeding. She leaned close regarding him, and whispered in his ear.

'Next time use a recurved bow and a hunting arrow. Stay out of reach of the blade - you'll be safer.'
Old 12-31-2002, 06:22 AM   #511
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

The Elf sat, unmoved by all that went on around him. Harenthiel had retired to her room at his suggestion, and now Barodir had staggered back to the inn, wounded and bleeding, and suddenly the inn was in an uproar. He did not stir to aid Pio or the others who clustered around the fallen guard, but sat and observed from the corner. He felt no sympathy for the man who had had him at blade-point only a short time ago, but said quietly, speaking only to himself and those who troubled to hear him,

“He will not die.”

Erdaminéon knew that Pio would be able to care for a wound of such. It looked to be quite deep, but from his experience it would take only a short time to clean and dress it. He was correct, and soon Barodir was escorted to a room.

It was only then, with a certain air of amusement he noticed the many cups, tankards and trays that littered the table where he sat, evidence of the many occupants who had shared his company briefly before leaving on their various paths of business. He looked about the inn. The fire was burning low, and many of the common room’s occupants were going to rooms they had rented. What a night, he thought to himself. Many strangers, a guard, false accusations, a thief and an injury. Well, peace is hard to come by, and is obviously fading fast if one can no longer find it in a small inn in the Shire. He settled back to watch the last embers of the fire burning peacefully in the grate.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:30 AM   #512
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

While the orthers where busy getting the stranger to his bed.The main room was almost empty he made his way to the stranger.

"Hello there" he said as he sat down the many cups and things on his table but no one there.

He than took out two large old books from his satchel.One said Rivendale the top in gold the book was a deep and red.The orther said Lothlorien in silver pale blue was the color of this book.They where ancient books on the history and songs of the two Elf havens.

He began to read the strangers payed no mind to him but noticed the titels of the books.Stil the strangers face was unmoved and almost as stone.

"Strange now is't it one could not get any rest here.My journys took me to the blue mountains I was there this morning gathering my pipe weed.I set out at dawn and arrived here at sundown" hsaid as he yawned and read his marked place intensly.

"Ah now here I am so late it is for me.Now how is it some one of your kind should be so quit.I have never met any elf quite like you before"while he said this he turned the page.

He lit a pipe and siped his wine and
Old 12-31-2002, 02:10 PM   #513
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Once Barodir was settled, Rie slipped back to her seat by the fire, shivering. Was this the way it was to be, now that she was on her own, away from her father's safe house? She had washed her hands until they almost bled, trying to get rid of Barodir's blood. Pio had said he would be fine, but it had still terrified Rie to see a man so injured. She stumbled off of her chair and took a seat on the floor, huddled up in her cloak. The fire was warm, but it didn't ward off the chill that had fallen over Rie.

Finally she got up and walked up to Pio, paying for a room with not much more than a murmured thank-you, and went to bed. She needed some time to herself.

"I won't stay here for the night, I'll warrant," she said bitterly. "I can't keep my nose out of trouble, it appears. Oh, why did I ever leave home?" She cried for a while in her room, and hoped that the sobs didn't carry. She may not be up to the challenges that she had set before herself, but she certainly didn't want news of her weakness to get back to her father.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:05 PM   #514
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio saw the masked horror reflected in Rie's eyes. She said nothing to the young woman, but smiled gently at her as she gave her directions to her room. 'Shadow creeps even into the bravest of hearts,' she murmured to herself. 'though it will not hold her in thrall long, I think.'

Later that night, as she stopped to check on the wounded Man, she listened in at Rie's door, hearing her pace restlessly. Pio went down to the darkened kitchen and mixed a posset for the young woman - honey and milk and spiced wine, heated gently.

She carried it upstairs and knocked on Rie's door. 'Who is it?' came the muffled challenge through the door. 'It is Pio. I've come with something to help you sleep.'

Rie opened the door, inviting the Elf in. She took the proffered drink, breathing in the sweet, heavy vapors that enticed her nose. 'My mother made that sometimes for me, when I was restless and feared the dreams that would come if I shut my eyes.'

She watched as the young woman sipped at the drink. The room was close, the air stale. Pio stepped to the small window that faced on the west and threw it open, motioning for rie to stand near her.

'Tomorrow is the first day of the new year. A time for the possibilities of new beginnings.' She pointed to a bright star which hinge above the rim of the world and threw its brilliance into the dark sky. 'Look! Bright Eärendil stands there in the West.' Words of old came from her, taking flight against the shadows in the room.

'Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that comes at unawares, the longed for that comes beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!'

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:25 PM   #515
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor stood in the shadows of the inn, flabbergasted. She had long ago stopped being useful, so nobody took any notice of her, something for which she was very grateful.

Maybe I should have stayed home with my books, she mused, watching as Miss Pio dealt with the wounded man. One thing was for sure, however, books were a lot less interesting than live beings, though perhaps a lot easier to deal with.

She stifled a yawn and looked around for Miss Pio. Suddenly, the innkeeper seemed to be nowhere in sight.

"You'd best get off to bed," Tom approached her with his good-natured smile. "You look awful tired, Miss Elanor."

"Oh, I'm not tired, re-really," She stifled another yawn. "And anyway, I'm supposed to help Miss Pio, and there are still lots of guests that- (yawn) seem to be needing assistance-" She decided that would never get used to working at an inn, and hoped that this temporary employment would not hinder her in getting her to her sick cousin, Daisy.

She looked around the inn. There were at least three people left, someone reading to the wounded stranger as he was being carried up to the room, a hobbit drinking by the bar, and an elf who seemed to be half asleep.

As the one reading seemed more than slightly eccentric and therefore intimidating to Elanor, and she had always been frightened of elves, she approached the drinking hobbit first, hoping that he wouldn't be too drunk to notice her.

"Please, sir, is there anything you would be needing? It's late now- perhaps you would like a room for the night? Everyone knows it isn't mighty comfortable to spend the night at the inn's bar." She smiled her lopsided little smile, and nervously fiddled with her apron as she waited for his response.

[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 12-31-2002, 04:57 PM   #516
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Nurumaiel had been watching all that went on with shock, but when she saw Rie creeping away she felt compelled to follow her. Making an excuse to Lindelot, she slipped away silently and followed Rie and Pio, who was leading her to her room.

When they reached the room Nurumaiel stood in a dark corner so she would not be seen. When Pio left, Nuru walked silently up to the door and listened to what was going on inside. She heard Rie sobbing. Lifting her hand, Nuru almost knocked on the door, but thought better of it. Perhaps she would get to speak with Rie later.

Walking slowly back to the common room, Nuru pondered all that had happened that night, and wondered if there would ever be a day in her life where danger and sorrow did not come.

Sighing and shaking the thought away, Nuru went over to Pio and smiled at her, asking, "How is the injured man doing?"
Old 12-31-2002, 05:55 PM   #517
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

HE looked up still the stranger said nothing.He was wondering what he might have going on in his head at this time.

"The night before I left for this inn I had a strange dream.Somewhere in a place where many elfs where gatered and the sound of whater was everywhere the was much turmoil.Strangely I could be of service but not there."he said quitley now amost in a wisper.

"You see I am a seer dreams and visions come to me though most times I don't really know what to do with them.That is the main problem with men if they can see things more deeply they still don't quit know what to do with them.So you see now as I sat here I noticed you said did and asked of not much of anything to anyone lest they should see you too openly." he said now yawning.

"But still my dreams plague me but I know not what they mean or what to do about them.My song was ment to draw out any Elves that would help me see clear what is in the mist.But none of them had heard anything like it so I knew they where not the ones to talk to.But now as I was sitting here I realized you had no reaction what so ever to my song even though you are of the first born."he said now looking around at the woman chatting with the hobbit he was talking to earlyer.

"Vary plain it seems now you have heard music like this befor and it did not move you to give away your position."now leaning over to the man.

"So a man I thought you where untill I came down to the bar and saw right away I realized who you where now"Now he spoke in a hush since the inn was in almost total silence.

"I am Eruantalon a seer,warrior,and minstrel.I have vistited and helped the people of Lothlorien, Rivendell,the people of Mirkwood and any orther Elves that had needed of me"as he said this he took out his great sword.

"Do you recognize this or my bow"he held it up as well.

"I am always happy to help those in need and the Elves I hold in great regard they are my friends and I would lay upon any sword to protect there havens or there beautifull works"the expression on his face was now varry seruious and grave.

"For it was true the first born of Eru would create his most beautifull work and I have a deep love of arda and so all the works of the fairest of the earth.For only they undestand why my hart is filled with such great joy for arda since they too know its beauty"he said this with a deep sense of honor in his voice.

Now the stranger looked at him and saw and knew who he was.Would he want him on the deed at hand.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:22 PM   #518
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle sat by the fire,drying her hands.She had a wet washcloth by her,and had been scrubbing her hands until they were raw.She moved her fingers and rubbed her hands together.They still didn't feel clean.
She had never seen so much blood on anyone before,and had been worried about someone coming in and stabbing others,but whoever it was seemed to have left.
"Maybe I shouldn't go home this late at night"she thought,then looked towards the bar."How much is it for a room?Are there any empty ones?".
Old 12-31-2002, 09:02 PM   #519
Rai

Sting

'Yes, here you are, thank you,' Jatyn said, pulling a silver penny out of her pack. 'Much obliged, madam.' She shook her head, amused by the action.
'I'm sure I can find something to ease that poor man's discomfort, if you should so desire it,' she offered.

-Jatyn Coolheart-

Old 12-31-2002, 10:11 PM   #520
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

"Hmmm thats strange I can't find a listing of anyone who matches you in these books"he now said putting them away.

"Maby they are too old or maby you are not from Rivendell or Lothlorien.But where else would you have hear such songs"his face now seemed in deep thought.

"Well if you have noting to say and my dreams are false or you are simple not the person I though maby I should think harder before speaking.But my insights are not always so badly aimed."he now seemed troubeled by his dreams and the unknowing vale of silence before him.