The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #2921
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I quite like Hookbill's avy. . .I am not quite sure if he has used it for long or if it is new.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #2922
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I quite like Hookbill's avy. . .I am not quite sure if he has used it for long or if it is new.
I only changed it last night / this morning.
Thanks, Mr Rune! May giant cakes fill your house.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #2923
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I only changed it last night / this morning.
Thanks, Mr Rune! May giant cakes fill your house.
oh no. . . 2 new girls just moved in and brought with them a lot of furniture, there is simply not room for giant cakes.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #2924
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I see Sally's new avvie features my (other) favorite author! I just hope she doesn't really mean the "bad" part.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #2925
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
I see Sally's new avvie features my (other) favorite author! I just hope she doesn't really mean the "bad" part.
Heh. Aw, I'm guessing you're not a Doctor Who fan then?

Nah, Woolf is the subject of our senior seminar class and, while I don't think I'd mind her if I'd just come across her and read of my own volition, the professor in charge of the class has approached her in such a way that I can't stand her. I'm sure she's a fabulous writer, I'm just really biased now. Alas.

But really, I just couldn't resist the pun!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #2926
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

I like Mithalwen's - do I deduce from this you saw James May's cool t-shirt on Oz and James Drink To Britain???
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #2927
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Never saw it. Well, actually, I saw a few minutes while on a transatlantic flight, but the episode seemed to involve some sort of crash, so I changed the channel...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #2928
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Anyone who has a MST3K avie has excellent taste.

Serious kudos to Oddwen.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #2929
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I am though. I thought that was funny.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #2930
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Had to go look it up.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #2931
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Nog's new avvvie.

That is all.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:26 AM   #2932
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I like Mithalwen's - do I deduce from this you saw James May's cool t-shirt on Oz and James Drink To Britain???
I did but actually have it as an avatar on LJ this time last year - I saw a cotton shopper advertised in a magazine and liked it but not enough to send off for since I already have a load of them. As someone liable to flap it is a good motto. Very British! Thank God that poster was never needed for real.

However if something is owned by James May it is automatically not cool. Love him to bits though. And of course Oz sang all the baritone solos on the Radio LOTR...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #2933
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Durelin's avatar has caught my eye. The lighting is very neat how it reflects and emphasizes certain parts of the armor (I'm assuming it is a knight).
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #2934
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hehe, glad you like it. It is armor of sorts. More robot than knightly armor. It's one of the duo Daft Punk. They wear robot suits (which mostly seems to mean cool metallic helmet and boots + leather) in all their shows and most public appearances.

Last edited by Durelin; 04-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #2935
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I like Groin Redbeard's new avatar.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #2936
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
I like Groin Redbeard's new avatar.
Yep, I wonder if he also made it himself (nothing can surprise me anymore).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #2937
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I like it too. And, once again, I ask if we could see the picture in its original size.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #2938
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I like it too. And, once again, I ask if we could see the picture in its original size.
Impossible Dwarf-lovers
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #2939
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I like Groin's new avatar a lot too. In fact, it even inspired me to semi-create a chracter but I doubt I will use him anywhere (what a pity)...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #2940
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I love wilwarin's avvie.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #2941
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

For some reason, Lommy's avatar now makes me think of Black Riders as being Penguins in disguise. Clearly this is a plot device Tolkien should have made clearer to us in the books!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #2942
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think Lommy's avvie is one of the neatest that she's come up with. I've been meaning to say so for quite some time but have always put it off. Where did you find ( or make) it Lommy?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #2943
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
For some reason, Lommy's avatar now makes me think of Black Riders as being Penguins in disguise. Clearly this is a plot device Tolkien should have made clearer to us in the books!
Ha, lovely. But there's just one problem - the Black Riders were afraid of water... Hmm... maybe they were just pretending and ha! that's how they escaped from the river Bruinen! They swam away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
I think Lommy's avvie is one of the neatest that she's come up with. I've been meaning to say so for quite some time but have always put it off. Where did you find ( or make) it Lommy?
Thanks. I found it by googling "nazgûl" or something of that sort just to get an avatar that would fit the theme of my werewolf game...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #2944
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I love wilwarin's avvie.
Thanks! I gave myself a Sleeping Beauty avvie a few days before putting up my admin thread, kinda like a teaser for what the game was about. I found this one and liked it even better then the one I had previously, it let me keep my blue theme that my avvies have always had. I also had a quote from the Grimm's version of the story as my sig, and will probably change it back to that soon.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #2945
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Haha I like that one too, it's very beautiful.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #2946
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I rather like Hookbill's new avvie! Best one I've seen in a long time. I love Phantom and Alien!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #2947
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I must nominate Folwren's new avvie. Very beautiful; it reminds me of Joan of Arc!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #2948
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I must nominate Folwren's new avvie. Very beautiful; it reminds me of Joan of Arc!
Why, thanks! It is Joan of Arc. My previous one was, too - I believe it was a randition of her triumpant entry into...Orleans? I forget which city. Anyway, this one is just a cool painting of her in armor with a sword.

By the by, I liked your lates Avatar - the sketching of the dwarf. I'm sorry you changed it so soon.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #2949
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Joan of Arc, wielding Charlemagne's sword, Joyeuse, I believe...?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #2950
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Joan of Arc, wielding Charlemagne's sword, Joyeuse, I believe...?
It's been a while since I read the book, so I'm sorry to say I don't know.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #2951
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Nice selection by Groin again...and I know what that's from this time.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #2952
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Nice selection by Groin again...and I know what that's from this time.
My hat's off to you Kuruharan for recognizing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Thanks! It is Joan of Arc. My previous one was, too - I believe it was a randition of her triumpant entry into...Orleans? I forget which city. Anyway, this one is just a cool painting of her in armor with a sword.
A perfect tomboy heroe!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #2953
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I quite like Bethberry's new one, it's colorful and all... but the main reason why I am writing this is that on first sight, I thought it's some interesting picture of Greedo.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #2954
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I quite like Bethberry's new one, it's colorful and all... but the main reason why I am writing this is that on first sight, I thought it's some interesting picture of Greedo.
Aliens are the new dragons, Legate.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #2955
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Nerwen, yer avvie be fittin' wit' t' WW game.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #2956
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Nerwen, yer avvie be fittin' wit' t' WW game.
Yarr 'tis true. A nice touch fer a game filled w' such survy rogues n' ne'er do wells.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #2957
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Rikae, I like the subtle twist to your avvie. I've spent a lot of time on Twitter feeds lately, so if it means what I think it does I'm in favor of it.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #2958
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I like Nogrod's latest, as well as Groin's, which has a similar theme. Both are timely, and the solar system is one of my interests.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #2959
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I like Nogrod's latest, as well as Groin's, which has a similar theme. Both are timely, and the solar system is one of my interests.
Seconded totally.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:02 AM   #2960
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would nominate piosenniel's, whose Opus from Bloom County really takes me back (though I would have chosen Bill ).