Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2004, 01:05 PM   #121
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmmm. . .May and Henry leading those younguns into the forest?! Fordogrim may have to trail after them, just to keep an eye on their shenanigans. . .
Old 03-13-2004, 04:29 PM   #122
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

He he. Sneaked in a bit of time. Bad me.

Crispin would very much enjoy exploring. Let's hope they don't get lost!
Old 03-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #123
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Alright, now I have a response for Elsa's response. Obviously both Elsa and Kal are a little nervous about this whole thing, but Kalimac is willing enough to try it out and Elsa agreed. Brings to mind wondering about how Alora and Crispin are going to feel about being handled like babies, bandied about to be watched by kids just slightly older than them. There's that controversy thing again. Mmm-hmm

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 03-14-2004, 05:50 AM   #124
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Save filled in

I have filled in my save near the bottom of the first page of the thread where Harold gives his reaction about the missing chicken.

Seems like he has a very different view than Kalimac. A single missing chicken represents a lot more to the Harfoot family than it does to the wealthier Whitfoots.

Ahem.....but this incident will not make Harold think more kindly of anyone who tries to take away what he has earned through his hard labors! (That includes the family from which he used to "rent" his land!)
Old 03-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #125
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Great posts!

Arestevana, I'm not sure whether it is a good thing or not, but I completely relate to Elsa's concern for her children. I think you've captured that well.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be more realistic for the "kids" to go exploring during the daylight (Only if the kids want to explore, of course ). What if they overhear the ones who go to get firewood talking about this weird feeling in there, or something like that, and they get curious and decide to check it out. Then the next day, while the band stops for a midday break, the kids slip away (and a certain old hobbit who follows?). This could be a really fun scene, especially when Elsa realizes her babies are gone.

Feedback, please.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #126
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you, Alaklondewen.

I agree; this scene could be really fun if it is played out. I must admit that I'm hoping the children run off. It does seem cruel that I should wish such a thing on my own character, though. And Elsa was coping so well... *sigh*
Old 03-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #127
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Alora's Invisibility spray...?

Everybody: I'm am terribly sorry! But I will not be posting at all during Spring break. Again, sorry all!

You can use Alora for odds 'n ends if you would like till the week is over.

Alak: please check your pms.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #128
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Okay, my fellow gamers, we need to get the action rolling, so I need to know whether any characters will be joining Marcho in the forest. I need to know beforehand so I can set the scene, so please let me know ASAP.

One thing to keep in mind as we deal with the forest during their first night is that they will be traveling next to the forest (going around it) for the next three game-time days.

Fordim - Great post. I'm glad you worked with Fredigar and allowed May to hear of the forest. Poor Fordo, even if he is a rascal, I still feel sorry for his being hurt.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #129
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
I believe Kalimac will volunteer.

If Harold does as well, this will give Kal a good oppurtunity to ask him about the baby-sitting thing and other conversation. I assume that Harold and Kalimac are not exactly friends, but they have known each other for some time so they will be comfortable speaking.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #130
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordogrim will be following the 'kiddies' into the forest when they go in after the grown-ups -- I rather suspect he will NOT be pleased at being left behind by the scouts (in fact, if you wish to have Fordogrim give his opinion to Marcho about going into the forest, then feel free to do so).
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #131
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

going into the forest

Kransha, Alak,

Regin would like to volunteer to go into the forest, and he will certainly relish the opportunity to talk about his children babysitting for the Whitfoot's son and daughter.

Harold knows Kalimac quite well, but as the man from whom he gets his land to farm, rather than a friend.

Regin
Old 03-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #132
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Great, the fathers and Marcho leaving Fordogrim behind. Very nice.

You know Regin's last comment about the relationship between the two families is right in line with something I was thinking about ealier in the car. It's interesting how two people being in the same relationship with one another can have completely different perceptions of the relationships. In Kransha's character description of Kalimac, he says that Kal feels very friendly toward the Chubbs, but we see a very different perception coming from Harold. This is completely normal. I'm sure Kal doesn't see himself or his family as some sort of dictators or tightwads, but because he has an authority over the Chubb family, they tend to feel this way about them. I think this kind of incongruence happens all too often in the real world, otherwise, there would be no broken hearts.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works itself out.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #133
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
I think Sarah would like to go into the forest. It gives her a chance to get away from all the chickens. She can't stop talking to them no matter how hard she tries.

Just let me know.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #134
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Ooh, I'm glad a woman is coming...spices it up a bit.

I'm going to put us at our first campsite tomorrow, late afternoon EST, so if you want to get a post in before then please do so. Just remember that if you use a SAVE, it must be filled within 24 hours.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #135
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Everyone:
I'm really bad. Sneaking in more minutes at Academic Team while I'm supposed to be researching.

I think Crispin is going to try to go into the forest with his father, but will be turned down. How's that sound?

~Fëa
Old 03-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #136
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Memory -- just wanted to say what a nice post! It really opens up that somewhat more tender side to Fordogrim that I was sure was there somewhere.

BTW -- what is that in Liv Tyler's mouth anyway???????
Old 03-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #137
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril my return..

Ok, I may accually get some time to post during this week! Not much though, I'm afraid.

Alak- check your pms..
Old 03-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #138
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Another post for Crispin is up. I think one of the Boffin girls has her eye on Crispin! Boy, he's a ladies man.

~Fëa
Old 03-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #139
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Eye First Camp

They are finally getting to stop and rest. Those not going into the forest might think about getting water from a small stream across the way.

Child - Please check your PMs.

Witch_Queen - I used Sarah for some comic relief, let me know if you dislike it and I will edit.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 AM   #140
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Approved Carry-alongs

I am bringing this forward on the discussion thread so we will have easy access:

Just bringing this forward:

Approved Carry-Alongs

Ponto Bracegirdle - A young Bree merchant who hopes to gain business by losing his competition and having new trade with Elves and Men. Newly married to the young Belba Banks.

Ruby Hornblower and her two small children are leaving Bree after her husband was killed in a farming accident. She is being pressured by the Big Folk to sell her land, and she is finally giving in.

Fredigar Headstrong is a local deputy in Bree, who hopes he can organize the new law once they arrive at the White Downs. This hobbit is known for being rash in his decisions.

Ferdibrand Boffin, his wife, Peony, and their eight children are leaving their small house in town in hopes of finding land large enough for their still growing family.

Boffin children:
  • Lilac, girl, 20

Bolco, boy, 19

Nick, boy, 13

Daisy, girl, 12

Rose, girl, 9

Hob, 7

Opal, 6

Edmund, 3
Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #141
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Alak: I love it. The fact that Sarah appears to be braver than a man cracks me up. I couldn't have done it better. No need for any editing its good with me. It only makes Sarah seem more stubborn and hard-headed. At least Sarah isn't taking a chicken along with her!

Regin: Check your pms.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #142
Child of the 7th Age

description of the forest

The descriptive post is up, along with a bit of the history that made this piece of real estate rather grim.

Regin - Thanks for letting me use your character as we discussed.

Alak - check your pms....
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #143
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

I will be absent for the next 4 days. I hate it that it comes at this time. I will be away from the computer. Feel free to use Sarah in anyway that is true to her character. Just don't make her seem mean and evil.

I am deeply sorry.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #144
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

My response to Kalimac is up.

Witch_queen,

We'll look forward to your return. I included Sarah in the post as you suggested.

Regin
Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #145
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Great posts!

Poor Harold, the trees seem to have it out for him.

Fordim, I'm glad we're getting to see a softer side of Fordogrim, even if the characters don't see it.

Witch_Queen - I hope everything goes well, and we'll certainly be glad when you're back.

I'm quite pleased with the quality of writing on the game thus far, and we're keeping with the schedule, which is also a plus. Keep up the great posts!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #146
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Just a quick Question: Since when did May marry Harold. NO seriously Regin you may want to check your last post. It seemed very disturbing since it seems that Sarah's daughter has married Sarah's husband.

Scarry really. Well now i'm gone for the next four days. I will miss you all. Like I said use Sarah in any way as long as it is true to her character.

Regin: just please change the name May to Sarah so that I won't get sick.

I'm gone now! Blessed Be!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 PM   #147
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Major typo.....

Whoa! That is a BIG typo. I'm really sorry, and have corrected it.

My apologies to both Witch_Queen and Memory of Trees.

Regin
Old 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #148
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
I think it's a strawberry...
Old 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #149
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I am sorry to say my posts may dwindle few days. My time at the computer is limited, for I have many exams to study for and articles/stories to write before the end of the semester. I will check in on the DT every day, but I might only get one or two posts in. PLEASE carry Crispin along, and keep him to character.

Sorry again,
Fëa
Old 03-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #150
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Harold Chubb

Poor Harold, the Hobbit can't walk two inches without tripping on a tree root. Man, he must have really bad luck, or be really clumsy, or both.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #151
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots

Oh dear, it seems the forest has separated Sarah from the group. Kalimac and/or Harold must find her. :P

Everyone - We have a few people who are currently unable to post or only able to post infrequently. It is critical that those of us who are still here make up for them. Those of you, still at the camp can get water for the group or be unpacking the camping supplies. We just need to keep things moving. Regin and Kransha, I would say Sarah should be pretty easy to find...maybe a one post each kind of thing, and then we'll get her out of the forest and move things along from there.

~ Alaklondewen, your friendly neighborhood game founder.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:19 PM   #152
Child of the 7th Age

Alak,

There's a minor problem. Regin asked Kalimac a question about babysitting to which he needs a reply, i.e, the request for money for the kids. The game can't really go forward until he gets an answer.

So this is what I'm going to do.... I'll save a space for Kransha right after Regin's post, and put yours forward one space. That way the game could go forward and Kransha can later fill in his reply. He'll put it on the discussion thread and I can paste it up.

I also sent Kransha a reminder pm....

Hope this will help.

Cami

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 03-19-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 PM   #153
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

Thanks, Child, that works really well. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #154
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Sorry about not posting that crucial reply. I've been impossibly busy, but fear not! The reply (though, short) will be up within the hour.

Old 03-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #155
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

As requested by Child, here's the game post for Kal's reply

"You, see, it's only fair that my lad and lass should get paid for their work. It will be hours of toil for them that will take them away from other useful things. Sarah and I agree that the responsibility would do them good, but only if they are given a fair wage for their time and their services."

Harold said all this with perfect and unwavering (at least the illusion of unwavering) confidence. Kalimac, even though he knew better, let his jaw drop and hang for more than a minute as he realized that, for the first time he knew of, Harold Chubb had actually insisted that he do something. He was practically floored. He shouldn’t need to pay a couple of tweens who’s family was in his employment! It was outrageous, maddening, and utterly confusing. Kalimac came to the irritating realization that he hadn’t even considered the fact that Harold might want his children paid.

But, as much as he hated to say it, he really had his heart set on having the Chubb children watch his own. He’d told Elsa that he would get the job done and it would be a stinging embarrassment if he refused to accept their services just because they asked for a few of the many coins in his deep pockets. It had to be done, even if it bit at Kalimac Whitfoot’s pride.

“I…I…I suppose you’re right.” He said at last, his words a little slurred in his bewilderment, “I will indeed pay your children if they are responsible and dutiful in their new line of work.”

He almost instinctively patted his vest pocket that contained most of his immediate funds. He didn’t mind parting with it, but he almost felt as if he was throwing it away. ‘Nonsense!’ he thought, ‘They want to be paid and I will pay them fairly and justly. Let it not be said that Kalimac Whitfoot is some money-hoarding miser, for it has just been proven that that is not the case. It's probably better to pay them. They’ll put more effort into it if they have a monetary reward to look forward to.’

Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #156
Child of the 7th Age

Kransha -

I've added it to the game.

Cami
Old 03-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #157
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
The girl sighed a bit and said under her breath but just loud enough for Crispin to hear: "Um... I... sure... I... like... um... you... Crispin," She bit her lip and winced as if she had been struck by a terrifying blow.
Dang, Crispin sure is popular! First Iris, and now Miss Daisy Boffin!

~Fëa
Old 03-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #158
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sarah has been found!

Actually, Sarah doesn't think she was ever lost! But at least husband and wife managed to locate each other.

Witch_queen,

Once you return, please eyeball the post and make sure nothing about your character needs changing.

Regin
Old 03-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #159
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thumbs up

Great response, yesterday. I am pleased with the posts.

Fordim - Would you like us to find Fordogrim in the forest, or do you have other plans?

Regin - I think I sent you a PM. I got an unexpected message, so let me know if you got it. If not, I will resend.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #160
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Alak,

Yes, I received it. Please eyeball the post and check your pms.

Regin