The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2002, 01:48 PM   #41
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

My faith in Santa Claus is stronger than my faith in men.

The idea of Aragorn is a nice one, but I don't think that it's in the cards for yours truly. Anyway, I don't want to waste my time thinking about it. Why oh why did Tolkien have to create such perfect characters just to frustrate me? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 08:27 PM   #42
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I beg to differ about Aragorn's not wanting to hand over his sword to the Doorward of Theoden. The reason for his balking was because of Anduril and Aragorn's heritage, and that Aragorn was certainly of Theoden's equal two generations before, when he served in Rohan.

The problem was, that any man who pulled the blade from it's shieth, even in curiousity, if he were not Aragorn, he would die. This was the power of the shieth that Galadriel gave Aragorn. I do not think Aragorn wished to suffer that any man might die due to not believing it.
Indeed, after Aragorn explains the sword, the guard:
"Stepped back and looked with amazement on Aragorn.
'It seems you are come on wings of song out of the forgotten days,' he said. 'it shall be, lord, as you command.'"
See? He ceased to question Aragorn, believed his command, and called him lord.
I too, would have been angry, as Aragorn was, if I had been a lord of Rohan, and forgotten in only 2 generations. I'd be mighty furious! Woooo!
Old 10-20-2002, 01:11 PM   #43
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where does it say about the person being killed if they remove the sword from its sheath if not Aragorn?