The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Question Would not the Power of the rings be never-ending if...

If Saruman's theory of where the Ring had gone, (floated down the river and out to Sea never to be seen/worn again) had actually occured, would not the three Elven rings' power never end? Granted they'd still have to fight that Royal pain in the neck Sauron and all his not-so-little armies in Mordor, but still, it's my understanding that it was the destruction of the One that brought an end to the powers of the others. Thus, if the One were lost and never destroyed, the Three would continue on... Right?

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Right, but it was completely inevitable that the Ring would be found and the Three Rings would be of little use when Sauron ruled Middle-earth anyway.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:03 AM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Exactly. Remember, as Gandalf said (I don't know if it is in the book or just the movie) "the ring wants to be found." Eventually, somehow, someway, the ring would be found. As Legolas pointed out - it was inevitable.

Even before the elves knew that the Ring had been found, however, they were still leaving ME. By the time that Gandalf realized that Bilbo's ring was THE Ring, the vast majority of elves had already left for Valinor, even though the three elven rings still held their power. So, even before the elven rings lost their power, the time of the elves was drawing to a close.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My point exactly. You can't exactly rule a people who are leaving these shores. You'd be a King or Queen without a people, so, in essence, they wouldn't be a ruler at all. That was why Elrond declined the Kingship of the Noldor. He realized that his people were leaving those shores, and that there was absolutely no point in ruling a nonexistent population, which was, after all, the purpose of the Three.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The kingship of the Noldor? When was it offered to him? Gil-Galad had no sons, that’s why there were no more High King of the Noldor in Middle Earth. Not because Elrond rejected it.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Ok, it was never directly offered to him, but Elrond was the last remaining male descendant of the House of Fingolfin. That immediately qualified him as eligible, in addition to being Gil-galad's vice-regent in Eriador.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote