Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye Breelanders All! Discussion Thread - Part 1

Annunfuiniel and Child of the 7th Age invite you to play:

Breelanders All!

Historical Background:

The year 1300 of the Third Age was a time of momentous change, much of it for the worse, as the shadow extended its hold over Middle-earth. In this year, the Nazgul reappeared and the chief of these, known as the Witch-King of Angmar, established a stronghold in the northern part of the Misty Mountains. Many hobbits who had lived in this region for some 150 years now fled west towards Bree-land.

In this time of growing distrust and suspicion, intimate contact between differing free peoples was the exception rather than the rule. Yet, somehow, the Big and Little Folk of Bree managed to live together in peace. In this RPG, we would like to speculate how these good relations might actually have developed.

Fictional Background:

Tolkien indicated there were three major groups of hobbits: Fallohide, Harfoot, and Stoor. Most of the hobbits in our story are Fallohide or Harfoot, along with a few Stoor brides who married into these lines.

In our story the original home of the Fallohide hobbits was north of the Hoardale River on the western side of the mountains. These hobbits escaped from the clutches of the Witch King and, joining with their Harfoot kin who were also fleeing westward, settled in the villages of Archet, Combe, and Staddle just north of Bree-hill. Here, they built homes and quietly cultivated the land.

An uneasy truce existed between these smaller communities and Bree, a large trading city settled by the Big Folk. While both the Big and Little Folk preferred to ignore their neighbors, wild rumors abounded, and each side viewed the other with suspicion.

Basic Storyline:

After a few years of relative peace, the real troubles began. In the summer of 1305 Third Age came unusual heat and drought. Since the rains of the autumn were not enough to save the crops, some Hobbits from outlying villages decided to move into Bree and practice their crafts professionally there. But, with the shortage of food, the Hobbits’ timing was as wrong as it could be. Many of the Big Folk defended their territories jealously, resenting the intruders and blaming them for the bad times.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the Rangers brought the leaders of the Big and Little Folk an alarming message. Several villages in the foothills of the Misty Mountains had been attacked and destroyed by the Orcs and Hillmen months before. These folk migrated westward on the roads, trying to escape the evil forces behind them. Hungry and discouraged, they turning to looting and stealing in order to stay alive in this time of dearth. The main body of refugees waits at Weather Hill. An advance scouting party has been sent to look over the villages and towns ahead of them on the road. Rumor has it that they are now considering an organized attack on Bree, hoping to carry off the riches of its merchants or perhaps even to occupy the town.

Considering that Bree’s ancient defenses--its dike, heavy gate, and thick hedge--are almost ready to collapse, this is dire news. Our story begins when the Rangers call a meeting of all the residents of Bree and surrounding communities to see if they can join together to develop a strategy for defeating the outlaws.

This RPG traces how the Big and Little Folk eventually get beyond their suspicions and jealousies to work together to reinforce Bree's defenses and fight off the brigands’ attack. Each comes to appreciate the contributions of the other making a start towards living together as peaceful neighbors.

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-16-2003, 02:28 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The purpose of the story is to: Overcome the prejudices and settle the disagreements between Big and Little Folk to get them to work together in defense of Bree.

This means we will know the story is over when: Breelanders reinforce the defenses and physically defeat the enemy.

Starting Location: Bree, but with references to hobbits living in the outlying areas.

Likely destination: Everyone safe behind Bree’s renovated hedge and gate, even those hobbits from the outlying towns, at least until the bandits are defeated.

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the Third Age, the year 1305 from mid Halimath (~September) to mid Winterfilth (~October).

The storyline itself or plot covers 4-5 weeks.

This game requires a time commitment of 9 weeks from the game owners and from the major players.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:33 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Characters Needed:

• Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.
  • Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially be very mistrustful of the men.

Suggestions for Constructing a Profile:

Big and Little Folk should choose a realistic occupation such as farmer, cook, miller, peddler, baker, laborer, stable hand, teamster, minstrel, peddler, etc.

We need one of the Big Folk to serve as mayor. If you're interested, pm Annunfuiniel to let her know.

Make sure to say in your profile what your initial opinion will be of the "other" group.

Important:

Each poster who plays a resident of Breeland, Big or Little, must submit a complete profile for their adult character. Use the form below.

Each poster will also create a "carry-along child" of the same race (possibly a sibling group) that you will use in certain sections of the RPG. Just attach a paragraph at the end of your regular profile that includes the following: name, age, race, plus a few words on where they live, what they’ve been taught about the ‘other’ race, and what their thoughts on it are.

Again, please include a few words on what happened when their village and/or family was destroyed, and their attitude about attacking Bree.

First posts :

The first posts for hobbits and men should show how your adult character feels about the other group (positive or not), plus your reaction when you hear the news about the threat from the outlaw band and the fact that a joint meeting has been called.

The first posts for the outlaws should show what happened to their familes when the village was destroyed and your feelings about the attack on Bree. . Just how eager are you? Do you see it as a way to get fast treasure or a place to settle down?

Character types that would not belong: Any not listed above.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-16-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Dedicated Characters:

Annunfuiniel - game founder - will play 2 characters: the hobbits Rosco Woodfarer and Mausi Honeysuckle

Childofthe7thage - game founder - will play 2 characters: Andreth Woolthistle, female, Race of Man, and Kali Honeysuckle, a hobbit child, son of Mausi. She will also make a cameo appearance for Greta, one of the refugees displaced to the Weather Hills.

Beren87 will play 1 character: Minastan Helmman, the human ranger.

Nurumaiel will play 1 character: the child Edmund, son of Andreth (Race of Man.) (cameo).

Piosenniel will play 2 characters: Berilac Woodfarer, the Hobbit ranger and Willem 'Will' Furroweed, child, (Race of Man).

Taralphiel will play 1 character: Lotar, the outlaw leader (Race of Man).
Old 09-16-2003, 02:37 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Annunfuiniel's Character - Rosco Woodfarer

NAME: Rosco Woodfarer

RACE: Hobbit (Fallohide)

WEAPONS: Rosco prefers a bow and quiver of arrows. He does own a short sword (a rare genuine hobbit blade; in those rough days Hobbits still knew how to forge weapons) but hasn’t used it for almost five years.

APPEARANCE: Very tall (4'4'') for a hobbit even though hobbits were generally taller back then. Because of his pure Fallohide blood he has light brown, wavy hair. Although his face and hands are tanned, his skin is otherwise fair. Under his eyebrows, which are a shade darker than his hair, sparkles a pair of deep blue eyes. Those who have met him only in business say that nothing but earnestness can be read from his glance, but friends know better - a smile never stays solely on his lips but manifests itself also in his eyes. His other features are further quite un-hobbitlike: disregarding his furry feet, curly hair and a bit of a broad nose, he bears an astonishing resemblance to the Elves.

He likes his clothes to be forest green or the grey of the old tree trunks but otherwise dressing isn’t one of his priorities - a matter on which neighbors sometimes comment. An old hooded cloak, the grey patched one, rarely hangs idle on the rack for he uses it every time, everywhere.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is thoughtful and kind, ready to listen to your troubles and help the best he can. As a leader and judge he’s stern but just. Only five years have passed since the Hobbits fled from the clutches of the Witch King and the memory of their desperate flight still shadows his thoughts from time to time - no one needs to remind him that in tough situations hesitation may cost lives as well as rash orders.

He’s considerate almost without exception when it comes to hobbits, but the prejudices and gruffness of the Bree-folk have made him see red and reveal his weaknesses: sharp tongue, his most feared weapon on occasion, has more than once gotten him into trouble. In verbal battle, 'retreat' doesn’t appear in his vocabulary.

But when peace is on the land he’s a merry fellow who loves to wander in the woods day and night, then to return home for a good meal and drink in front of his hearth. And here we come to his last 'oddity': no one knows exactly why - maybe due to his wandering nature and his obligations as the Hobbit leader? - but he’s still a bachelor. Sometimes a feeling of loneliness creeps into his heart at nightfall but then, snatching his cloak from the rack, he heads to the forest, with the stars as his companions - and the next day he delights in the sight of children playing in the dusty village streets.

HISTORY: Rosco was born in TA 1258 to Bardo and Mimosa Woodfarer in a small hobbit settlement on the banks of river Hoarwell (Mitheithel), some fifty miles north from the Last Bridge. He has a brother, Berilac who’s five years younger than he and twin sisters Britnie and Goldy, eight years younger.

After tradition the Woodfarers had ever been the leaders of the mixed Harfoot and Fallohide clan that formed when the first Fallohides came to Eriador over the Misty Mountains (ca. 1150 TA). So when the times grew dark again and the hobbits had to leave their homes (1300 TA) Rosco’s father Bardo took to guide his folk to safety. And he nearly made it...

Bardo Woodfarer perished in an orc-raid and so it was Rosco’s bitter part to take his father’s position at so an early stage. Through many hardships and losses the hobbits finally came to Bree-land under his lead and found others of their kind. On the perilous journey Rosco had gained renown and was soon recognized as the leader of all Bree hobbits - though at times of peace his duties were few.

Annunfuiniel's post - Rosco

Rosco stood on the doorstep of his hobbit hole and breathed deep the fresh morning air. The sun was still low on the eastern sky and the wind had not yet woken. What a fine day to go hunting! the hobbit mused and turned to get his bow from inside when suddenly a rattle of cartwheels reached his ears and made him glance back.

A plump pony trudged slowly up the road from Staddle towards Rosco’s burrow and the small red cart behind the beast swayed gently from side to side with every move. On the driver's seat there sat a grey figure that to a stranger would have seemed to be nodding in sleep. But Rosco recognised the comer and smiled.

“Good morning, dear old ____!” Rosco called out and raised his hand in greeting; “You’re early on the road. Going to town?”

“Good morning to you too, Mr. Woodfarer. The early bird catches the worm, they say – and the early hobbit gets a second breakfast says I. It sure looks like a fine day coming; yesterday’s rain was just what we needed! And yes, I’m on me way to Bree to visit me son and his family – he keeps a little shop now, you know; 'What ye can imagine that lad can carve' I used to tell all and now he’s tryin’ to make a living out of that art. And then I must run some errands: sell this and buy that, you see. Though I must say there’s not much to sell… But here we go again! I just rattle on and almost forget the reason for me call!” The old hobbit rummaged around his bags and baskets; “Where did I put it… Ah, there!” he handed out a small, warm package.

“Me wife told me to give this to you. 'Take this bread to Mr. Woodfarer,' she says; 'for bread doesn’t grow in trees and yet he walks in the woods all days long. We must take care of him!'”

The grey hobbit grinned; “'Take care of him?' I says to her; 'Mr. Woodfarer’s no lad anymore; surely he knows how to look after himself!' But did she take heed of me words? Why of course not!”

Rosco listened to this flood of speech smilingly. But he knew well the value of the gift and thought hard how he could repay the old hobbit couple. Finally he had a chance to speak; “Thank your kind wife for the bread and for her concern.” The delicious smell of the fresh baking flowed to Rosco’s nostrils and he had an idea. “But tell me: would it ease her heart if she did the baking for me from now on? I was thinking maybe three or four times a week? I would pay her what I’ve paid to the bakery before.”

_____ took his hat in his hand and bowed his head; “Thank you, Sir; I’ll ask her. But I’d say she’ll be only pleased to hear this offer.”

Rosco watched as the cart and pony disappeared down the hill and then he stepped inside. Soon he appeared again, wrapped in his grey cloak and carrying his bow, quiver hanging from his belt. He headed towards the sunrise and soon vanished into the green shadows of the wood.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:44 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Annunfuiniel's Character - Mausi Honeysuckle

NAME: Mausi Honeysuckle (her children call her Mima)

RACE: Hobbit (Stoor)

WEAPONS: shears and needles; quick wits

APPEARANCE: Years have treated this hobbit kindly when it comes to looks: her cheeks and lips are as rosy as in her tweens and her brown eyes are bright, usually glinting with a smile. Wavy nut brown hair graces her head. She is of average height for a hobbit of those times, reaching just over four feet. She prefers greens and blues in her dresses; yellow is for parties. Over her dress or apron she girds a pocket where she carries her shears, several hanks of string and some other useful item. A bunch of keys also hangs from her waist, clinking as she walks.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Mausi is a friendly, approachable, and generous person and generally good-natured though at times sharp-worded. She is naturally quite talkative, especially with family and friends. Those in difficult or unfortunate circumstances are always close to her heart. She can be firm, positive, and independent in her own ideas and in reaching her own decisions which is sometimes seen by others as obstinacy - and maybe rightly so. Under conditions of stress she may inadvertently react in temper or stubbornness that she later regrets.

Mausi has to plan things ahead to be able to support her family but secretly she enjoys every break in the routines; unexpected opportunities for meeting people, story telling, singing... Emotion and feeling, the desire to be friendly, happy, and a good mother, are the driving forces in her being rather than material success; she wants to do her work well and as long as her family survives with what she earns she is content.

HISTORY: For everyone who is interested in genealogy: Mausi is Cami Goodchild’s (later Oldbuck) - Yes! our Shire mod’s – great-granddaughter in the seventh generation, a descendent of Holly Oldbuck. (To learn how this is possible check In the Shadow of the Star RPG.) Mausi’s kin married into the Fallohide line and entered Eriador about 1150 TA. They eventually settled on the banks of the river Hoarwell (Mitheithel), near the Last Bridge.

For nearly one hundred and fifty years the hobbits dwelled there in peace. But then the realm of Angmar rose and fear spread over the lands as the servants of the Witch-king carried all before them. Mausi had to flee with her husband Meliodias and their three children. The flight was full of horrors; a chaotic nightmare that separated families and family members. (When the raids began Mausi and her family fled west whereas her parents and siblings strolled south, and they lost contact). But the heaviest blow for her was the loss of her dear husband: Meliodas gave his life to save his family
Mausi and her children settled first in Staddle; the young widow’s neighbours helped her in delving a small burrow. Rosco Woodfarer and his brother became very close to Mausi and her children. Soon she could provide for her family with the small but steady income she got from working as a seamstress. But times became worse with the drought and the little family had to move to Bree to survive.

FAMILY: Daughter Hollyella, usually just Ella (10), sons Redmond, or Mondy for short (8) and Kalimac, or Kali for short (6) (see profile below).

Child's Character - Andreth Woolthistle

NAME: Andreth Woolthistle

RACE: Man

WEAPONS: Growing up in a family with five brothers, Andreth learned how to handle a bow at an early age, much to her parents’ dismay. On a day-to-day basis, however, her more usual “weapon” is a good, hearty broom to chase patrons out of the Prancing Pony when they are not being cooperative.

APPEARANCE: Andreth’s most distinguishing feature is her mop of brownish-red curls and her plethora of freckles. She is a woman who cannot sit down. As the proprietor of the Prancing Pony, she is continually active, running from one end of the Inn to the other with her long hair streaming out behind her. Her bright green eyes clearly reflect whatever emotion she is feeling. She is unusually tall for a woman, and sometimes uses her height to keep visitors to the Pony, male and female, in line.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: By nature, Andreth is kind-hearted and helpful, genuinely concerned about those around her who’ve had a harder time in life than she. Yet she is also a person who will not suffer fools easily, and can easily lose her temper when confronted with irritating behavior or stiff-necked opinions that seem to be little more than a cover for stupidity and ignorance. In her capacity as Innkeeper, she has seen too many instances of this among the numerous guests who frequent the Pony.

Although normally energetic and outgoing, Andreth has discovered that life isn’t as simple or easy as she once thought. Brigands roaming the countryside near Bree were responsible for slaying her husband while he was making a short journey to neighboring communities to buy needed provisions for the Inn. She is trying to pull herself out of her grief and focus on life. Her efforts have been complicated by the fact that she must deflect a host of suitors who’ve appeared on her doorstep, hoping to get a chance to become the new proprietor of the Pony.

HISTORY: Andreth is a daughter of one of the oldest families in Bree. She has family stories that suggest her ancestors were descendents of some of the original men of Dunland who founded Bree in the Second Age.

FAMILY: Andreth has a son Edmund who’s seven years old. (See profile below)

Child's character - Kali Honeysuckle

NAME: Kalimac (Kali) Honeysuckle

RACE: Hobbit (Stoor/Fallohide mix)

WEAPONS: His own two good fists!

APPEARANCE: Unlike his older brother and sister, little Kali seems to hearken back to the Stoor heritage of his mother. He is short and chunky, and has even been known to put on a pair of boots when the weather is muddy. He has curly brown hair and brown eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Nothing makes Kali happier than to run down to the pond to swim and fish. He dreams of someday building a boat and sailing away across the sea, much to the dismay of his mother. For now, however, he must deal with the harsh realities of his immediate life. His father died when he was only one year old, and Kali often wonders what his dad looked like, and why he can’t be here with him.

When the children of the Big Folk tease Kali, it bothers him even more than it does his brother or sister. Yet Kali is less afraid of the Big Folk than they are and has been known to go up to one and start a conversation, an action that sometimes brings problems.

Kali has a special love for tales about Elves and longs to meet one someday. He wants to learn to read and write so that he will be able to record all the tales he has heard.

HISTORY/ FAMILY: See profile for Mausi Honeysuckle

Annunfuinel and Child's post - Mausi, Andreth, and Kali

Mausi let down her needlework and rubbed her eyes. Three hours of stitching in a row doesn’t do good for anyone’s sight she mused and tried to rest her blurred gaze by looking into the distance. Bright late-morning sun peeked inside from the southern window. Mausi shrugged her shoulders and eyed her accomplishments with mixed feelings: the job was almost ready but it had been a simple task from the beginning - the small, moss green jacket had only needed some patching and new buttons. The money that I get from this work will be spent quicker than Mondy manages to get into new trouble! Mausi grinned sadly. A heavy sigh escaped her lips. How gladly she would have sewn a totally new jacket! But who could afford to make such an order nowadays?

Mausi was just about to pick up the sewing from her lap for a final touch when she heard the front door fly open and the sound of light, quick-paced footsteps filled the air. Mausi startled but then smiled: “Kali, my dear! Please don’t run while inside. Remember what happened the last t…” Her voice trailed off as she heard another, much heavier step. Who could that possibly be? she wondered and stood up, placing her work on the kitchen table beside her.

“Kali?” she asked, now in an alarmed tone.

“Mima!” the boy exclaimed as he burst into the kitchen and ran straight to his mother’s lap.

“Kali, what’s wrong?” Mausi questioned anxiously as she saw the trails of dried tears striping her son’s dingy face; “Where are the others?” She forgot about the other footsteps until a large figure filled the doorway. Mausi held her child tighter in her arms and spoke, unable to hide her nervousness: “Who is it? What have you done that scared my son like this?”

The shadow hesitated but Kali finally opened his mouth: “Mima, this is my new friend. She has done nothing wrong. Please be kind to her. It was the big boys… They called me names and…and…I want to learn to read, Mima!”

Mausi was perplexed, to say the least: “Read? What has reading got to do with all this?” The shadowy figure moved cautiously inside and Mausi saw a woman, one of the Big Folk. She gasped but then controlled her expression. This isn’t the first time you’ve see one of them, you fool!

Although Mausi’s little cottage had extremely lofty rooms for a Hobbit dwelling, the woman was tall even for one of the big folk. She had to bend and dodge the chandelier that hung high above the Hobbit heads. After a short but awkward silence Mausi found her words again, “I apologize for my heedless words! I am Mausi Honeysuckle, Kali’s mother, as you probably have gathered already. May I now ask for your name?”

Mausi eyed the stranger still somewhat suspicious though her son’s words had been reassuring. The woman’s face seemed familiar to Mausi and suddenly like a stroke of lightning it dawned on her: The innkeeper! That’s who she is!

The taller woman extended her hand in greeting to Mausi. “I’m sorry that I startled you so. But your son insisted I come in to meet you. My name is Andreth Thistlewool. I’m the proprietor of the Prancing Pony.”

Andreth turned around to face Mausi, “I found Kali hurt and crying on the back steps of the Inn. Some of the big lads were teasing him. I’m sorry for that.”

“And what did they say to him?” Mausi bristled. She turned her eyes from the innkeeper to her son, but the little boy clammed up and refused to talk.

The larger woman’s face went beet red as she turned to face Mausi. “I’m afraid some of these lads need discipline. They were calling him names, and said he was stupid…” What Andreth did not say was that, much to her embarrassment, her own son Edmund had gone along with the group who’d been tormenting the boy.

At this point the younger lad piped up, blinking back his tears, “Bill, the big one, called me a ‘rabbit’. He said I was too dumb to learn my letters and numbers.” The boy shifted his gaze downward.

Andreth flinched uncomfortably, “I’m so sorry, Mistress Honeysuckle. Some children can be incredibly rude. But I’m afraid there’s even worse than that. Two of the lads stole your son’s hat and flung it about the courtyard, forcing him to go chasing after them.”

As the full explanation came out Mausi’s cheeks flushed with anger though she tried to hold herself back. This won’t do anymore! she mused and then spoke aloud, “Kali, could you go and get Ella and Mondy here.”

Then she realized what was wrong with the whole picture, “Where are they anyway? They were supposed to look after you.” Kali sensed his siblings were in big trouble and kept silent, staring down at his dusty toes.

The innkeeper glanced at him but then turned around to address Mausi, “There were two young Hobbits coming from the Gate as we entered, a boy and a girl. Maybe these were the ones you’re looking for?”

“Most likely so.” Mausi sighed, “They have probably seen something “interesting” again and gone to take a closer look at whatever it is without further thought. Kali, run now and call for them - they can’t be far - I need Mondy to do something for me.”

The young lad still hesitated. “No, they are not in trouble if they come right away.” Mausi assured him, smiling at her younger son’s concern.

Kali ran off, returning soon with his siblings. Mondy and Ella's enthusiastic babbling could be heard as soon as the front door opened. But with them came a third hobbit; a tall and slender man in a patched grey cloak.

"Ro-... Mr. Woodfarer! Just the hobbit I hoped to see!" Mausi exclaimed and hurried the few paces to the door to greet the newcomer.

Rosco Woodfarer took the hand that was extended to him in greeting and shook it lightly, feeling Mausi's strong grip. Still rocking on his heels on the doorstep Rosco scanned the room in front of him. Mister? he frowned. The hobbits had called themselves by first names for years now, except among total strangers. 'What...?' the question didn't have time to form in his mind before his eyes fixed on the red-haired woman.

An awkward silence fell to the room as even Ella and Mondy hushed to stare at the 'biggie' (as they named all of the Big Folk), swaying between fear and curiosity. But Rosco's blue eyes flew from one woman to the other and seeing Mausi's strained face he jumped into conclusions.

"What is this?" he addressed his words to Mausi. "Is there a problem?" His gaze shifted to the innkeeper.

Andreth moved uneasily but Mausi's face reddened at her friend's impoliteness. Then she raised her hands to her hips. "There are some problems indeed..." Mausi began, "-but not with her!" She hissed from between her teeth and beckoned Rosco to come further inside. "...and Miss Woolthistle here was so kind as to bring them to my knowledge. We-"

The front door opened and a gust of wind swept through the rooms, once again carrying the sound of footsteps. What a market! Mausi sighed and spun round, nailing her gaze to the doorway.....

Additional post for Child's character Andreth Thistlewool

Grimly reflecting on the specific punishment she would dole out to Edmund for his part in this ill-mannered escapade, Andreth clambered into the pony cart and flicked the reins over Bettercup's back. Thank goodness Kali hadn’t guessed Edmund was her son, or mentioned his part in this affair to Mausi. The woman might never have spoken with her. Edmund was only seven years old, yet already he’d picked up the rude language and behavior of the older boys when it came to dealing with hobbit children.

She remembered the group of bullying lads and sighed. There were enough real problems in life to keep everyone busy in these hard times. No need to go out and create others that were totally unnecessary.

Andreth navigated her cart down the main street of Bree, carefully skirting the large potholes, and pulled up in front of the Inn. But before she could run inside to speak with Edmund or ask the stable lad to unhitch Buttercup, she could see another problem already brewing on the front steps. A noisy throng of guests had gathered near the entrance to the Pony; she could hear their voices rising and falling as they pressed foward with insistent questions, bantering back and forth with a tall gentleman dressed in Ranger’s gear. Andreth placed her hands on her hips and inwardly groaned as she took in this scene of mounting confusion. Then she curtly reminded herself to keep her tongue in check.

Several of the guests stood over to one side reading a placard that had been nailed up near the entrance to the Inn. As this group noticed Andreth approaching, one of the men whirled around and spat out his indignation, “Are you going to let this stranger post notices without permission? Humpf! How do we know it’s true? I haven’t seen any bandits lurking on my doorstep. And to suggest we cooperate with those sniveling hobbits! It’s preposterous. If your husband was alive, Andreth Thistlewool, he’d put a quick end to this. This is what comes of letting unattached women run an Inn!"

"And, as for you….” The gentleman stepped forward with his fist raised against the Ranger.

Just as Ned the Miller was about to leap out and intervene, Andreth bounded from the cart and elbowed her way through the crowd, pushing several guests aside until she stood face-to-face with the Ranger who presided over the mob. Her eyes flashed with indignation.

“What’s all this? Who gave you permission to post that notice on the Inn and incite my guests? I’m Andreth, the proprietor here, and I demand to know what’s going on!” She stepped back and stared at the tall figure of the Ranger. He looked at her with a hint of a grin on his face, an expression that registered halfway between amusement and resignation. Then, he gestured towards the placard that was posted near the front door. There, at the bottom of the board, in a conspicuous spot, was the signature and raised seal of the Mayor.

Andreth looked embarassed and bit her tongue. Whatever this was, it was no mere jest. She reached out a welcoming hand to the Ranger and added regretfully, “I’m sorry. It’s not been a good day. I should have looked before I spoke. Please, if you have a moment, step inside and explain what’s happening. Some of my patrons are upset, and I may have to explain things to them.”

With that the tall, willowy figure of the proprietor and the rugged one of the Ranger disappeared down a side corridor of the Inn, heading towards a room that Andreth used as her private office. In the distance she could hear the stubborn protests of her young son Edmund who was already leading Cook on a merry chase through the kitchen and the pantries.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:47 AM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Beren87's Character - Minastan Helmman

NAME: Minastan Helmman

WEAPONS: One long sword, named Calalim (Q: light-giver..or close to it), which has gotten little use in it’s time at his side. His skills with a bow are lacking, at best, as his use of stealth allows him to get close enough to never need to use the long-distance weapon.

APPEARANCE: Sandy brownish hair contrasts well with his tanned skin, highlighting his brown eyes. His clothes tend to be meticulously clean, despite his time in the forest, though on close inspection one can see they’re worn from washing and the general wear and tear of a traveler. His face is generally covered by a smirk directed towards those around him, which gives him the appearance of being cocky.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Minastan is, because of his time alone with himself away from town, a smart-aleck when it comes to social interaction. He’s puts up with people well, often explaining things multiple times without ever getting angry, but when he can see the chance to make a wise-crack, he generally seizes upon the moment. This is a put off to some, but he lets it go. He is slow to anger, having attuned his emotions to a point where he’s nearly always in control. Having grown in a village without Hobbits, he was at first oddened by the little folk, but soon learned to live amongst them. Yet, he isn't respectful of his fellow Hobbit Rangers, finding them too meek to do their duties appropriately. He works with them, but doesn't generally rely on them.

HISTORY: Minastan was raised west of Rohan, in the open plains of that rolling country. He led a happy life within a small village, learning the various skills he would need as an adult in the community, to defend against marauders and wild beasts. But at the age of 19, the longing for adventure in his soul took control, and with hardly a warning he embarked out across the wilderness until he was nearly killed by a pack of wolves near the forests of Mirkwood. Yet he was saved by a wandering group calling themselves “Rangers.” He soon joined up with the men, learning their talents of scouting and the ways of the wilderness.

Now at 37 he is a wanderer who lives life as he sees fit, with no ties to anyone around him. His journeys have now brought him, along with a few other rangers, to the village of Bree, after the discovery of marauders on the road.

Beren87's post - Minastan

Minastan walked along the main road in Bree, the Prancing Pony ahead of him in the distance. The notice he carried in his hand, the ink still slightly wet from the Mayor's assitant, waved in his wake. He continued moving on, ignoring the idle stares of the people of the city. A ranger will always draw stares, he said to himself, lofting his position in his mind higher than the people of the city ever cared to do.

Some began to follow him, interested in the paper fluttering in his hand. They gathered around the steps as he climbed them, growing larger as time progressed. He took out a tac, and placed it on the top and bottom of the notice, then proceeded to step to the side, so that the gathered mass would have time enough to read.

He blinked at the crowd around him, the subtle grin on his face mearly covering the amusement he felt inside for their sudden voluminous chaos. His hand rested lightly on the sign he had just posted. The people weren't generally trusting of Rangers as it was, and he knew that, but surely they would take the words of the Mayor?

"What on Earth does this mean?" shouted one man from the crowd, his voice rising above the rest. "Cooperate with Hobbits? What on earth for?"

A tall man in the front of the crowd proceeded to state "You rangers had best be watching where you're posting these things, I'm sure the Innkeeper won't abide by you simply nailing things to the Pony."

Suddenly, a woman came elbowing through the crowd, her recently unoccupied cart easily seen in the road. He smiled down at her from the step, her grim face revealing her grim attitude towards the commotion his notice was posting. She proceeded to proclaim herself the owner of the Inn, bellowing about posting notices without warning. He merely continued pointing at the sign, waiting for her to see the raised seal on the bottom. Suddenly she flushed, noticing the sign of the Mayor, and then apologized for her initial anger.

Her hand shot out to the door, opening it and then inviting him in, leaving the crowd to ponder as they liked. She led him down a small, side corridor, her pace quickening with the assurance of a widower. A door arose out of the end of the hall, their obvious destination. She opened it without a glance, and invited him in. There were a few ruffles of paper upon the desk, which she hurriedly tidied.

"Now then, what's the meaning of all this?
Old 09-16-2003, 02:49 AM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Nurumaiel's character - Edmund

NAME : Edmund Woolthistle

RACE : Man

WEAPONS : His mouth is his greatest weapon. He's excellent at tormenting and teasing, name-calling, and other such things that would hurt a fellow boy's feelings, and the use of the older boys he has as friends. Sticks are also quite handy when playing pretend swords with his friends, though he would never be seen using it for real on a living thing.

APPEARANCE : Edmund looks much like his mother Andreth Woolthistle. He has brown curls, and a few freckles on either cheek and speckling his nose. Most people remember him for his lively, sparkling blue eyes that are constantly filled with wild adventure and excitement. It is most likely his eye color came from farther back than his parents. He's fairly slender, though he still has a little bit of his baby chubbiness left, mainly in his cheeks, though a little in his belly. Though he's an average height at the present time, when he's older he will most likely be tall like his mother and father.

PERSONALITY : Edmund is an active little boy who, like most boys, likes to have a good time. Unfortunately, through taking up with the wrong friends, having a good time mostly meant bullying other children. He also has a passion for tormenting the Cook at the inn, mainly hiding various tools from her and stealing food when she's not looking. Edmund is the ideal little terror, even to his friends at times. If things don't go his way, he'll lose his temper and give them a nasty time. Though he was not like this before, it is suspected by most that the death of his father a year previous seriously affected him.

However, he does have his good traits. Like his mother, he has a kind heart, and he only needs to get past the hard crust that's surrounding it, caused by the bad company he keeps. His kindness is mainly exercised in animals, and he's forever finding wounded creatures that he insists need his care. This bothers some people to no ends, but afterwards they see how much it's worth it when they see the gentleness and love he shows as he treats his patients.

Though he's a bother to her, he loves his mother very much, and does everything he can to help her. He can be difficult sometimes, and often throws temper tantrums, but such tears that come from his blue eyes as he runs to apologize to her! He would do just about anything for her.

HISTORY : Edmund lived in Bree all his life, with his father and mother at the Prancing Pony. When he was only six years old his father was killed, and, being very fond of his father, Edmund was very sorrowful. For a long time he was depressed and bored, then he found a way to pass the time by causing trouble with some of the other boys.

Nurumaiel's post - Edmund

Edmund Woolthistle, a young lad of seven years, sat on a little stool in the kitchen of the Prancing Pony, a basket of potatoes at his feet. His freckled face was bright read, partly with anger and partly because of his efforts. He had already peeled the awesome amount of five whole potatoes for Cook to mash later, and he was feeling pretty exhausted. Cook was, obviously, cooking, but at the same time she was watching Edmund with a stern eye.

He had to endure this suffering all because of that silly hobbit boy! What a crybaby he had been. All they (meaning Edmund and his ne'er-do-well friends) had done was try to have a bit of fun with him (which, you must take note, means teasing) and he had burst into tears. So when they had tried to play a game with him (stealing his hat and tossing it to one another, causing the poor hobbit boy more distress), they had expected him to cheer up, but did he? Of course not! He was a hobbit, so he wouldn't.

I am being punished because some stupid hobbit is a crybaby, Edmund thought ferociously, picking up another potato. I'll be stuck in this stupid kitchen all day because of that stupid crybaby. Reflecting on this grim thought, Edmund felt anger building up at rapid paces inside of him. Forgetting that Cook was watching him, even forgetting that he was sitting in the prison of the kitchen, he took up the potato he had just finished and hurtled it across the room. It narrowly missed Cook's head and with an indescribable noise hit the kitchen wall. Cook immediately turned flashing eyes towards Edmund, but the boy's own blue eyes showed no signs of remorse for what he had just done.

"...and if Edmund should cause any further trouble while in the kitchen, you may think of a suitable punishment for him." Those had been Andreth's words. Cook didn't hesitate to carry them out. "Edmund Woolthistle, you will clean up that mess immediately, and then you will finish those potatoes. Instead of letting you off after dinner like I had originally intended, you will stay and help me clean up. You can expect to be doing many dishes and scrubbing many tables, young man."

Edmund gave her a sour look as he crossed the kitchen to take care of the crushed potato. His slightly chubby face turned an even deeper shade of red, if that were possible. He had planned to take care of his wounded squirrel after dinner, but now Cook had to spoil it all. She would feel sorry when the squirrel died, that she would. But the poor squirrel, that had to suffer so that horrible Cook could satisfy her need for punishing innocent little boys! Edmund thought all these things with the anger increasing in him. The injustice of the world was too great.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:51 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Piosenniel's Character - Berilac Woodfarer

Name: Berilac Woodfarer (Beril the Bowman)

Race: Hobbit, Fallohide

Weapons:

An expert bowman, he bears a Yew longbow, 57” (1.4 M) made to size for him; deer leather belt quiver with knife sheath; cedar shaft arrows with iron tips; a short sword, twin to his brother’s. Small leather tube bearing a great number of his maps. Rides a small, grey colored horse named Slate.

Appearance:

4’ 6” (54”; 1.37 M); 100 lbs (45 kg); hazel eyes; thick, wavy, dark blond hair, shoulder length, worn pulled back and bound at the nape of his neck with a leather thong. Fair skinned beneath his tanned features; his face bears a rugged, weathered look. Lean, sinewy, muscular build. Normal attire is black mid-calf breeches secured with a dark leather belt bearing a brass buckle; dark grey, long sleeved tunic; a long, hooded, grey green cloak. On the index finger of his right hand he wears a slim, gold band.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses:

A reserved man in the company of strangers; allows others to take the lead in conversation or social interaction in such company as it provides him the opportunity to observe them closely. Has a keen mind and sharp senses. Good judge of character; loyal to his friends and family, around whom he shows quite a different side to his character – wicked sense of humor, outrageous flirt when it comes to charming the ladies (learned at an early age how profitable this could be in managing his younger sisters), fond of reciting poetry (especially his own doggerel), is adept at ferreting out juicy pieces of gossip.

Above all, he is a very devoted husband and father. His family is his source of strength and also his greatest weakness. Given a situation in which he must choose between the needs of his family and his own needs he would choose their well-being over his own.

He is less inclined to be harsh about the animosity between the Big Folk and the Little People as are other Hobbits. As a Ranger, he works closely with Men, and finds them to have an equal measure of good and bad traits as do his fellow Hobbits.

History:

Born in TA 1263, the second child and second son of Bardo and Mimosa Woodfarer in a small settlement on the banks of the Hoarwell. His younger twin sisters were three years younger than he, and he doted on them, fancying himself to be their protector. They in turn adored their older brother and would do anything for him – an unfortunate choice for them at times, especially when his ideas of what might be fun conflicted with his mother’s ideas of what was right. His brother, Rosco, was much older than this trio and though his interests were often more mature, at least in his eyes, than the childish antics of his brother and sisters, he often would step in to negotiate between his parents and the Triple Terror as they were known in the family.

He was a young man still, just turned thirty-seven, when the encroaching shadowed times forced his family and the others of their settlement to leave their homes and seek the safety of the larger Mannish community of Bree-land. The death of his father at the hands of the Orcs kindled a desire in him to see that the darkness would not prevail and that his people and all those who dwelt in the lands between the Misty Mountains and the Blue could do so in peace.

Once his mother and siblings were seen safely to Bree-land, Berilac turned eastward on his small horse, Slate, seeking the holding of the Rangers who had traveled often through the area where his family had lived. Rangers who often stopped to confer with his father, bringing news of the areas outside the Hobbit settlement, and in the last years grimmer news of the nearing darkness. He had been taken in by them, several of the Hobbit Rangers giving witness to his character and his woodsman’s skills. The fact that he was considered an accomplished archer with his short Hobbit bow was also a mark in his favor.

Now, he lived in their hidden fastness in The Angle – Rangers, both Men and Hobbits, and their families, in a small settlement in the area between the Hoarwell and the Loudwater, where it joined the Hoarwell’s courses. Under the tutelage of Merimas Thistle he honed his Ranger skills, and was given the gift of a longbow made especially for him by the Rangers' Master Bowman.

And under the motherly eye of Merimas’ wife, Larkspur, he was taken into the family. This bond was made permanent when, at age 39, he married the oldest daughter of the family, Fairlight, two years younger than he. The following year saw the birth of their daughter, Alyssum. And now at age 42, another child is on the way, and soon to be born.

Though he looks forward to seeing his family in Bree-land ance again, it is with great reluctance that he leaves his wife and undertakes the task of journeying to Bree-land to speak with the folk there concerning the troubles coming their way.

Piosenniel's post - Berilac

It was a pleasant enough day for tramping down the road, he thought to himself. The mid-day sun was warm against the promised chill of early autumn, and a few late flowers poked their fading heads through the dried grasses along the roadway. It had been nearly a year since last he’d seen his brother and sisters. His mouth curved up in a soft smile at the thought of Britnie and Goldy, both married now with little ones of their own. They lived very near one another (as children they had been inseparable), and every so often he would receive a joint letter from both of them letting him know the little details of their lives and of course always hinting that perhaps, if he could see fit to be decent about it, he would bring his wife and daughter to visit the better half of the family. He could see them now, Britnie with her hands on her hips and Goldie wagging her finger at him, when he told them the latest news – they were about to become aunts once more.

He paused, just before he reached the Southgate and brushed the road dust from his breeches and shirt. He pulled back his hair, undone a little in the breeze, and smoothed it into the confines of the leather cord he used to bind it once more. His hands and face he had already washed in a nearby pool – filled to brimming now with water after the recent shower. He had smiled at his reflection in the still water before cupping it in his hands – how lucky to not be bothered with facial hair like his Mannish counterparts. Days of tramping and living rough would have brought them to Bree looking more scurvy than the ruffians they came to warn about.

As it was, the Gatekeeper admitted him but barely, muttering something about odd looking Hobbits. He cast a suspicious eye on his long bow and knife and debated for a moment whether he needed to alert the Bree watch about this overly armed hole dweller. In the end he decided it was too much trouble and waved him in, returning to his perusal of the bottom of the pint one of his friends had so kindly brought him from the Inn.

Berilac walked slowly across the causeway over the dike and through the gate taking in the details of the town’s defenses. He paused once he was well past the hedge and looked back. His eyes narrowed at what he saw, and he ticked off mentally those things that needed to be fixed or strengthened. The earthen-work dike had caved in and filled up in places; the hedge had not been well taken care of and stood thin at various points he could see from where he stood. The gate itself looked as if it had no cross bar to keep out would be intruders. And the flimsy latch on it would not hold back the efforts of a small child he thought to himself. He sighed, taking in the last problem, but not the least – the Gatekeeper . . . drinking on duty.

He turned away from the gate, and trudged up one of the main paths, stopping to ask several Hobbits along the way for directions to Mausi’s house. With any luck he could bunk down at her place, then visit his brother on the morrow. He laughed to himself thinking of Ella and Mondy and little Kali. Perhaps they could be persuaded to walk about the perimeter of the town with him. If anyone knew where the places for easy ins and outs were along the hedge and dike it would be the children.

Reaching his friend’s doorway he noted a largish cart parked just outside, and wondered if one of the Big Folk had brought some business for Mausi and her nimble fingers. No one answered at his light knock, and he turned the handle of the door to let himself in, as she had so often told him to do in the past. He heard voices and paused not wanting to intrude. From his vantage point he saw a tall woman smile at Mausi and extend her hand in farewell. Her words came clearly to him.

‘Your children are safe, and I see that you have a visitor,’ the woman said in parting. ‘I’m afraid I truly must be going. My own son is at the Inn with Cook looking out after him. He’s quite a handful for her, and I need to get home.’ The woman hurried out of the room and down the hall to the door, nodding at Berilac as she passed.

Berilac’s grin widened as he entered the room where Mausi stood, and he gave an astonished gasp when he saw his brother standing off to the side. They embraced, clapping each other heartily on the back. Mausi standing to one side looked on, delighted to see Berilac and to see his brother enjoying the surprise. Berilac broke from his brother’s embrace and swept Mausi into a bear hug, causing her to squeal as he lifted her from the floor, then deposited her into his brother’s astonished arms.

She invited them to stay for supper and sent them down to her small side cellar to pick out vegetables for a thick soup. They were drafted into helping her prepare it while she made a pan of biscuits to go with it. It was during the chopping of the carrots and taters that Mausi inquired, in a soft voice, hoping against hope, about her parents and siblings. Had Berilac had a chance to see if there were any news on their whereabouts, she wondered. Rosco, too, looked up expectantly.

‘Aye, I do have news, and better than I ever thought to find.’ He could hear her short intake of breath at this auspicious beginning. ‘Your family is well and they all send their regards to you and the children. They dwell now in the Angle, as the country that lies between Hoarwell and Loudwater is called. There’s a great hobbit settlement there, with many Stoors, established by our southern cousins that have long been separated from us.’

‘The Angle?’ asked Rosco, his brows rising. ‘Yes,’ replied Berilac, ‘not far in distance from where I live, though our way is hidden to them.’

The soup was bubbling merrily and the smell of the browning biscuits made Berilac’s mouth water after days of cold meals eaten quickly on the along the trail. Mausi was busy getting the children ready for dinner – hands and faces washed. And giving them little tasks to set the table for the meal. Rosco, sitting in a chair in the front room, Berilac near him, took the opportunity of this busy diversion to ask his brother the real reason for this visit. Berilac filled him in on the news about the bandits saying that he and one of the Big Folk Rangers would be calling a meeting for all the folk in Bree-land about meeting this threat.

Rosco listened closely and shook his head at what his brother had said and what he expected. ‘I know,’ said Berilac, reading the expression on his brother’s face. ‘It’s going to take some doing . . . and unfortunately not just in fixing the dike and hedge . . .’
Old 09-16-2003, 02:55 AM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Piosenniel's character - Will

NAME: Willem ‘Will’ Farroweed

WEAPONS: Carries a one bladed pocket knife; sling shot; pea shooter

APPEARANCE:

5’2” (1.6 M); 107 lbs ( 48 kg), lean, gangly, all elbows and knees, light brown thatch of thick, straight hair cut unevenly about his head; brown eyes; spotty complexion; brown breeches cinched up with a belt, his bony ankles hanging out; sloppy big tunic, patched at the elbows, a hand me down from his 18 y/o older brother; usually barefoot – in colder weather has a pair of brown, calf high, run down leather boots.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:

A bully with a sharp wit that impresses his little gang of friends. They look up to him as a leader, and delight in the little schemes he cooks up to harass the Hobbit children. He is quick to take offense, but stores his ‘injuries/woundings’ away, letting them fester and ripen into thoroughly nasty retaliations.

HISTORY:

Father: Tomsin (Big Tom) Farroweed
Mother: Letitia (Letty) Rushlight Farroweed

His family has a long history of being pig farmers. And have lived for many generations on a small holding between Staddle and Bree. As in all farming ventures – some years are good and some less prosperous. Of late, fortune has not smiled kindly on the Farroweed family – the market for pork is down, crops are off, and feed more expensive. Of late, there have been a number of pigs gone missing here and there. At first the possibility of wolves or wild dogs was entertained by the family, but now Big Tom is sure it’s the Hobbits that have something to do with his missing swine.

Willem is the youngest of seven children – four other boys and two girls. There being so many other hands to help out with the needs of raising pigs, his mother has had plenty of time to baby him. He is still her 'precious little baby boy’ and can do no wrong in her estimation. His brothers and sisters champion their baby brother against all outsiders.

Willem’s father is a pessimistic man, and of the opinion that the influx of Hobbits will prove the undoing of any hope for continued prosperity by the Men of Bree. His family accedes to his often voiced opinions, and Willem has absorbed this negativity toward the Hobbits as being ‘right’ - it fuels his activities as a bully and tormenter of the inferior and interfering hole-dwellers.

The character of Williem will not be a main character, but will be controlled by me and used in the game as needed.

He will not have a First Post to be placed when the game opens, but will jump in when appropriate.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:58 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Tara's Character - Lotar

NAME: Lotar

WEAPONS: rusted longsword, and a small dagger in his boot

APPEARANCE: Tall and thin frame, with dark hair and equally dark eyes, with a streak of grey through his beard being a distinguishing feature. Dressed in heavy worn riding gear, and little or no armour. He looks every bit the sinister character, and when his temper flares, its certainly proven.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Lotar is not the most patient of men when it comes to his peers. He is calculating and quite intelligent when it comes to matters of survival and some war strategies. He has his times of dark mood, where he will seal himself off from everyone and stew over seemingly trifle matters, but most of the time his frustrations is clearly vented. Apart form this, no one has accused him of being a poor leader, and he is known as the most efficient of all of the bandits.

HISTORY: Lotar was one of the men who lost the most in the scouring of his Village by the Dark forces, but he speaks of it little. His only family left is his son Kandel, who is never far away from him This is often found humorous by the other men, as they are at loggerheads over almost every issue of strategy, and are very different in personality.

Tara's post - Lotar

‘My beard will get whiter waiting for that blasted scout!’ Lotar roared. Pacing to and fro, he kicked the dirt and continued fuming ‘How am I supposed to plan anything if that dolt takes his pleasant time coming back with the mapping!’

‘Its always possible that the man was attacked’ said Kandel coolly, as he leant against a tree stump. Looking up through his long hair, his tone further irked his father. ‘Is your head fullo’ rocks? Who would attack him? One of those Little Men with a pitchfork? Save me!’ Lotar stopped as a young man heaved into the clearing. ‘Lotar sir’ he heaved ‘There be little defense on the way. None actually. They’ve done practically nothing!’

‘Well, at least you tell me what I wish! Now, tell me what the scene looks like! I want every hill and knoll if this is to work! The sooner we get this, the sooner we have our own houses and fires to warm our feet by! This town will make us a pretty amount!' he said with a pleased grin. Kandel watched him and shook his head with a small laugh.

Tara's Character - Kandel

NAME: Kandel

RACE: Men

WEAPONS: Longsword and daggers

APPEARANCE: Tall and strong like his father, but paler with lighter hair. Handsome features and a mocking smile forever on his face. Wears similar gear to all the outlaws, with a hood he generally hides under.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kandel has inherited more of his personality from his mothers side. He is cooler and more collected than his father is. Though he shares the same eye to detail as his father. He is quick on his feet and even quicker in tongue. One of his greatest joys is winding his father up with smart remarks, though his devotion to him is clearly seen. He is rarely found very far away from him, especially in moments of action. Many see him as taking life as fun and games.

HISTORY: Orcs killed His mother and sister when his village was raided. He has wandered with his father since. Because of this he has developed a reasonable skill with the blade out of necessity, and boasts that he rivals his father.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:04 AM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It is a requirement that all potential game players will either have posted in one of the RPG Inns (preferably in The Green Dragon) or have played in an RPG on the Barrow Downs.

Those who have not played before in a Barrow Downs' RPG will be given preference.

Final preference, though, will be at the discretion of the Game Owner.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:07 AM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please use the following form for creating your character to post on the discussion thread:

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.

It is a requirement for this game. Character Descriptions without a First Post attached will be sent back to the writer. They may be submitted again, once there is a First Post to go with them.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:19 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Again, here are the:

Characters Needed

• Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.
  • Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially be very mistrustful of the men.

Big and Little Folk should choose a realistic occupation such as farmer, cook, miller, peddler, baker, laborer, stable hand, teamster, minstrel, peddler, etc.

We need one of the Big Folk to serve as mayor. If you're interested, pm Annunfuiniel to let her know.

Make sure to say in your profile what your initial opinion will be of the "other" group.

Important:

Each poster who plays a resident of Breeland, Big or Little, must submit a complete profile for their adult character. Use the form below.

Each poster will also create a "carry-along child" of the same race (possibly a sibling group) that you will use in certain sections of the RPG. Just attach a paragraph at the end of your regular profile that includes the following: name, age, race, plus a few words on where they live, what they’ve been taught about the ‘other’ race, and what their thoughts on it are.

Again, please include a few words on what happened when their village and/or family was destroyed, and their attitude about attacking Bree.

First posts (REQUIRED) :

The first posts for hobbits and men should show how your adult character feels about the other group (positive or not), plus your reaction when you hear the news about the threat from the outlaw band and the fact that a joint meeting has been called.

The first posts for the outlaws should show what happened to their familes when the village was destroyed and your feelings about the attack on Bree. Just how eager are you? Do you see it as a way to get fast treasure or a place to settle down?

Character types that would not belong: Any not listed above.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:08 PM   #15
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Welcome to Breelanders All!

If you have a yen to play one of the Big or Little Folk of Bree, or a brigand on the lam who's on the attack, read over the 'characters needed' section and draw up a profile and first post. We're hoping for a good mix of experienced gamers and newbies, especially writers who will hang in there for the duration of the game, which should last about nine weeks.

Annunfuiniel and I will look over your profile and first post, and quickly let you know if any changes are needed. Eventually, we'll post a list that will show exactly who's accepted in the game and which character everyone is playing. That may take a few days, so please be patient in the meanwhile.

This should be a fun game. There's definitely room for humor and some honest hack-and-whack. There's also a tiny hint of sadness. These folk attacking Bree aren't terrible baddies. They're just everyday people driven from their villages by the Witch King's agents. The refugees are desperate for food and a home, and their leaders have made some bad choices.

We look forward to gaming with you!

Cami Goodchild and Annunfuiniel
Old 09-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #16
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Here's the whole thing this time. Sorry for posting it up wrong the first time!

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes. A few very old ones like a Hobbit's Tale and one I don't remember the name of, and I started In the Shadow of the Star.
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? This is the only one.
3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – The Green Dragon, but it was a LONG time ago.

NAME: Alvinac

RACE: Mortal; Breelander.

WEAPONS: An old double-bladed sword and a slingshot he doesn't remember how to use.

APPEARANCE: Dirty dark-red hair, and a short beard. He's a little taller than normal, but only an inch or two. He has dark cinnamon colored eyes, but they sometimes look of reddish color.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He's the almost the average mortal: He drinks almost every day, likes to start fistfights, and loves a good laugh. Being raised by only his father, Alvinac is a rough man with a rough heart. Although he's not mean, he doesn't take kindly to people like hobbits and elves. He is an excellent one-on-one fighter, but isn't to great with his sword.

HISTORY: His mother died in childbirth, so his widowed father brought him up. Alvinac's father was a farmer and hunter, and wanted his son to be just like him. Being taught to fight and farm at a young age, he was an average boy. When his father died of a freak farm tool accident, he moved into town. Even though he had all of the skills of a farmer, he took up the occupation of a miller. Alvinac met another miller's daughter, Genevieve, and they married when he was twenty-four. Genevieve, like Alvinac's mother, died in childbirth with their first and only child, a daughter named Karianne. Alvinac brought Karianne up alone as well, and taught her a few skills of a miller and a man. She, unlike most of her friends, could fight as good as any boy her age.

Name: Karianne (Kari), Daughter of Alvinac the Miller
Appearance: Shoulder length dark red/brown curly hair and brown eyes. She is very tall and lean.
History: Kari was brought up by her father in a cabin near the woods, learning to fight and farm. She is very interested in learning about Hobbits, but her father will not allow it. She was taught to respect them, but only come in contact with things other than Mortals when earthly necessary.

ArwenBaggins's post - Alvinac and Kari

Alvinac sat quietly in the mill, with his eleven-year-old daughter Kari focusing on pouring lumpy flour beside him. The room was quiet, and the only disturbance was a small mouse scampering in and out of the barrels of flour.

Kari, looking around to make sure her father wasn't watching, reached down beside the barrel she was sitting on and pulled up a book. Alvinac often asked her how a hobbit could write a book when most hobbit's couldn't read, but Kari always had an answer. "I borrowed it from Miss Woolthistle. She said that Mistress Camelia Goodchild Zaragamba wrote it. She was a real smart hobbit." Her father told her that she would never come in contact with a hobbit and she didn't need to know how to act around one, but she read the book anyway.
Not even looking up from his work, Alvinac sternly uttered, "Karianne Alexia, put the book down." Kari rolled her eyes and leaned down again to drop the book.

She was stopped when they heard shouts from the streets. The girl perked up and ran toward the door. "Papa! Let's go! A Ranger's out there, and there might be some fights!" Without waiting an answer, Kari bolted down the stairs toward the Prancing Pony.

Alvinac met his daughter on the steps of the Pony, his fists raised. "Papa... the note says that we're gonna be having a meetin' with Hobbits!" She tried to sound angry, but her joy could be heard and seen.

Her father lowered his fist with a jerk, and leaned in to make sure his inquisitive daughter was telling the truth. Seeing that the note did state that, he clenched his teeth and grabbed Kari's arm. "At this meeting..."

Kari smiled. 'He's going!' She thought to herself. Alvinac must have seen it in her eyes, because he quickly retorted, "If we go..." Then he paused. "You will arouse no interest of these Hobbits. You understand?"
Her copper-colored curls lowered at first, but then she nodded and looked hopefully up at him.

Her father rubbed her head and sighed, "Go get your book. I'll teach you some new foot techniques." Kari's grin widened, and she ran off down the crowded lane to the mill.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #17
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Good heavens! I go away for a day, and the thread is twice as long! I didn't mean to cause such a stir with my 'save.' It was just a way of letting you know that I was thinking about it and who I would be trying for. It also seems to save room on the thread if I just edit the original post. Good grief!

Anyway, MY character...

NAME: Soran

RACE: Man (outlaw)

WEAPONS: A fairly old sword that he barely knows how to use, a bow with which he is a great deal more proficient, and a pike that is little more than a sharpened stick.

APPEARANCE: He has dark brown hair going to gray at his temples and dark brown eyes with flecks of green. His face is seamed with worry lines and smile lines in his forehead and around his eyes and mouth (he doesn't smile much anymore, but he used to.) He's of middle height and wears a tattered black cloak that covers his much mended gray and brown tunic and trews.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Soran was once a cheerful man, but his losses have made him bitter. He constantly blames himself for the fate of his family, and when left alone, torments himself with imagining what could be happening to his daughters and his wife. He treasures no of a glorious revenge, because he knows that on old(er) man could do nothing against the armies of the Witch-King. For all his sad experiences, he is fairly gullible, and believes whole-heartedly that the Breelanders are greedy and grasping, that they would turn him away with nothing if he came forward peaceably. (which is of course nonsense.) He is given to brooding silences, when he'll stare into the flames and wish that his miserable existance is just a dream.

HISTORY: Soran used to be a farmer who occasionally hunted to supplement his crops. The Witch-King commanded that all of the produce from the farms in a certain area be given to his troops, so they would have a steady supply of food. Soran's farm was in this area, but he refused, on the grounds that it was his work that brought these crops from the ground, and he had the right to use them as he would. The regional commander was not too pleased with that, and ordered that Soran and his family be used as an example.

One evening as Soran, his wife and their five children (two sons, ages 15 and 12, and three daughters, ages 13, 10, and 6) were sitting down to supper, a battalion of men from the Witch-Kings army attacked. They forced Soran to watch as they slit his sons' throats and carried his wife and daughers away. They beat him and left him senseless on the floor of his cottage, lying in his own sons' blood.

When he woke, he fled, hating himself as a coward, but not knowing what else to do. He eventually joined up with the bandits, mostly because he was lonely and food was surer with them than alone. Now all he wants is a place where he can remember his loved ones in peace.

Tinuviel of Denton's post

Soran watched the fire in front of him and reflected on just how much his life had changed. Not too long ago he had been a prosperous farmer, and now he was an outlaw and a bandit. How Laira would have laughed. That sent him off into another trend of melacholy, thinking about his lovely wife.

He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he hardly noticed Lotar's rampage, even though the man almost tripped over him. Of course, most of them were used to Lotar's furies by now, and didn't pay them any notice anymore. The poor fellow who'd gone scouting was new to the group, probably another of the Witch-King's victims. He didn't talk much, unless in a reply to direct questions. None of them asked about his family; it was understood that such things would be shared only if invited. Soran was only half-listening to Lotar rant and rave until the scout came back.

‘Lotar sir’ he heaved ‘There be little defense on the way. None actually. They’ve done practically nothing!’

‘Well, at least you tell me what I wish! Now, tell me what the scene looks like! I want every hill and knoll if this is to work! The sooner we get this, the sooner we have our own houses and fires to warm our feet by! This town will make us a pretty amount!'

His ears ed up and he thought almost dreamily about having a house of his own again. He would have to turn tradesman, of course, there was no room for a farm in a town...never mind. He was a bandit, and this Bree-town would likely turn into a haven for his kind, with few respectable people if any at all. Still, a home would be nice.

A chill gust of wind broke his concentration, and he pulled the half-shredded cloak closer around him, temporarily forgetting about the thought of a house in the future in absorbtion of his discomfort in the present.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]

Old 09-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #18
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Here is the profile for Rosie and her child Fippi [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES, Hunt for the Dragon, Filght from Rohan, C&C

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Well, C&C is ending today, so I'm not involved in any RPGs at the moment

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES, the Green Dragon Inn.

For your character please include:

NAME: Rosie

RACE: Hobbit, (Hardfoot, but is now married to Fallohide)

WEAPONS: She is extremley sharp tounged.

APPARENCE: Rosie is not very tall or very small for a hobbit. She is just around normal size. She has brown, short and very curly hair. Rosie has small brown eyes and long eyelashes. She has a beautiful smile and her laughter is very joyful. She is a bit thick, but fat, would be the wrong word for it. She is just a bit thick, that's all. Rosie always wears a green dress, because that's her favourite colour, but yellow will do, in certain situations.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Rosie is a very smart woman, she is also very sharped tounged, but not in a bad way. People think she has a gift, because she is always willing to say what's on her mind, without hurting anyone or being rude. Rosie is also very independent. She can stand on her own feet when it's needed. (She isn't a woman who is dependent on her husband to survive.)

Her husband (Hedgar, 44) and her son (Fippi, 8) are very fond of her. Rosie and her husband are very different by each other, both their age and how they act. Hedgar is a quiet, but not a shy person, Rosie however, in neither quiet nor shy. She talks whenever she feels like it, and she is certainly not afraid to meet new people, (she isn't afraid of anything, at least she likes to think so), she is therfore finding herself in akward situations. Rosie enjoys a good laugh as well, and she loves to hear stories.

Others often discuss the age difference between the two of them, Hedgar and Rosie. Rosie, herself see the age difference as a minimum problem, and she doesn't really care. Hedgar loves her and she loves him.

Even though they are very different, Rosie is, just like her husband, a very outgoing person. That is, as many say, the only thing they have in common. Rosie's reply to this is that 'the opposites often attract to each other'.

Another thing that separates the two of them, are their different wiwes on the Big Folk. Rosie is very facinated by them, and she enjoys their company. She thinks that they have an interesting personality and always a good stoy to tell.
Hedgar however is not very fond of them, and he strongly dislikes that his wife is socializing with them every time she got a fear chance.

Rosie is very strict with Fippi, but it's only because she wants him to grow up and be a polite and caring man one day.

Rosie and her husband runs three mills in Staddle, and they are famous for being the 'milling couple'.

HISTORY: Rosie fled to Staddle, just north for Bree-Hill. She has lived there for quite some time, with her husband and her son. Rosie met her husband as he, aswell, fled to Staddle. Well, it was because of Hedgar she came to Staddle, she would have followed her parents to Archet otherwise.

Her sisters, brothers and parents are now settled in Archet.

-----------------------
Rosie's child:

NAME: Fippi

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Fippi doesn't have a weapon except his "colourful" stones that he collects.

APPARENCE: Fippi looks a lot like his father. He has brown curly hair, thin and short legged. He has big blue eyes, just like his old mate. His mother dresses him, and he is always dressed in blue or green. (Rosie, his mum, loves green. The blue colour is Fippi's own choice.)

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Fippi is like most Hobbit boys. But Fippi is a very polite young man, when he needs to be. He loves to play, and he loves climbing trees. Even though he is quite short for his age, he is a good climber and other boy on his age give him credit for that. Fippi is his "dad's" little boy. He is very simelar to his dad, in many ways. He can be naughty at times, but also caring and kindhearted.

Fippi loves his parents, even though Rosie can be a bit strict with him.

Orofaniel's post - Rosie

Rosie rushed in to the kitchen. Where were Fippi and Hedgar? She looked out the window towards the three mills. No Fippi and no Hedgar.... The sausages would be cold and the whole lunch would be ruined! They said they would get back from town in good time before lunch, but no, they weren't here. She glanced over at the mills, could they have stopped by before going home? No, she would have seen them if this was the case.

Rosie was strucked by a hurt and angry feeling. They could have told me that they would be late, she thought and gave a short sigh. She was very dissapoinded, because she had been cooking since breakfast, just to make this lunch special. How could they forget? Maybe they had lost track of time.... but this only made Rosie a whole lot angrier. She had told them when to come home, just before they left!

She looked over at the table everything was ready for them. Small, and nice plates decorated with flowers. The cosy cups were filled with lovely hot tea. Green and yellow flowers were also decorating the tablecloth, because they were Rosie's favourite colours.

Oh, well, this wasn't exactly the first time such a thing had happened. She remembered when Fippi had been late for dinner once. He had been climbing trees, and afterwards he couldn't get down. Rosie had been quite worry, and she and hedgar had been looking everywhere for him., but without a result. Then when the darkness was about to keep over them, they had heard screaming from the backyard. It had been Fippi of course. The poor little boy had been stuck in the tree for 3 hours! Rosie had never fogiven heself after this episode, and she rememberd that she had made him hot tea and cake everyday for a month.

As she thought of this, she got really frightened. What if something had happend to her little boy, Fippi? She ran towards the window again, and looked out.

I hope that was Okey.....Nova is going to play Hedgar, Rosie's husband if that's okey. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

Old 09-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #19
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Howdy!

*Looks at the screen....

We can do saves at the Discussion thread?? Wow! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay, a male hobbit is coming up, anytime today! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Nice looking RPG! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*nova* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs?
– YES; Hunt for The Dragon, Flight from Rohan and C & C.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Erm, 1/2..C&C is just ending, besides I have only a secondary character.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – The Green Dragon is my place... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

NAME: Hedgar

RACE: Hobbit (Follohide)

WEAPONS: Almost anything but his walking stick, it is too prescios to him.

APPEARANCE: Hedgar likes to think on himself as VERY good looking. (Few would say that he is though.) His brown curly hair is almost not visible anymore, he is loosing it quite quickly. Hedgar is thin, but has a stomach. All the ale has marked him, in other words. His very short legs make him a short little hobbit, who wants to enjoy life to the fullest with pipeweed and ale. His sea-blue eyes are sharper than a blade, Hedgar believes he can see through anyone with them.

PERSONALITY/STRENGHTS/WEAKNESSES: He is a very outgoing person, long walks are things he really enjoys. (That almost the only thing he and his wife, Rosie, have in common.) He enjoys a good laugh at an Inn somewhere. If not his beauty can charm the ladies, his humour sure can! He is indpendent, and strong in mind and will. Hedgar truely believes that the Big People have hidden intentions, he therefore choose to ignore them or play stupid when he socialize with them.

His son is the best thing ever happened to him, and Hedgar would do anything to protect and give Fippi everything he needs. (Hedgar isn't very strict with him, to Rosie's horror. "Let him be a boy," Hedgar uses to say. "He'll grow up, when time is ready.")

Hedgar doesn't have a clue how to handle a sword, bow, etc. He tried to swing a sword once, but his hands were so sweaty that he lost grip of it, and it landed on his foot. His big toe didn't like that, neither did Hedgar. Basically, it's scaring him to death, the thought of holding something deadly.

HISTORY: Hedgar was born north of the Hoardale River on the western side of the mountains. He managed to escape from the clutches of the Witch King (Hedgar doesn't like to look back at this period of his life. However, when he is to mention The Witch King he only says; "The Scary One.") He joined the Hairfoot Kin who were also fleeing westwards. It was then he met his beloved wife, Rosie. They fell soon in love, despite their differences, and they settled together in the village of Staddled just north of Bree-hill. A couple of years later they had a son, whom they called Fippi after Hedgar's grandfather.

Eight years after the birth of their son, they have a nice little hobbit home (hole). The couple work as millers and enjoy their life at the countryside.

Novnarwen's post - Hedgar and Fippi

"Fippi, it's almost lunch time," Hedgar said grumply. Fippi had insisted on taking a long walk down-town in Bree. Hedgar didn't have a choice, he never had. Fippi sprang down the street, his father in his heels, muttering something about where his son dicsipline was, and if hadn't learned anything from his father. Fippi ran on. Hedgar on the other hand, went slower and slower. He hadn't the strenght to run that fast, both his stomach and his legs were not fit for such. Fippi stopped and waved at his father making a grimace, exclaming something about being first to the meat shop.

Hadgar held Fippi tightly in his hand. "I wanted you to win, sonny. It's good for you. I've won plenty in my life, it's your turn," he lied. Fippi noticed, but didn't say anything. He just lookd up at his father with an innocent look. "The Inn," he muttered. Fippi loved the Inns, just like his father. The little hobbit man had no option than to lead his eight years old son to The Prancing Pony. I need to get myself a pint anyway, Hedgar thought giving his son a smile. Fippi started running again, letting go of his father's hand. Hedgar 'ran' (If that's what you want to call it) after.

-------------------------------------------

“Are you going to let this stranger post notices without permission? Humpf! How do we know it’s true? I haven’t seen any bandits lurking on my doorstep. And to suggest we cooperate with those sniveling hobbits! It’s preposterous. If your husband was alive, Andreth Thistlewool, he’d put a quick end to this. This is what comes of letting unattached women run an Inn!"

Hedgar stood stricken. Fippi was silent too. "Close your ears sonny," Hedgar commanded. Fippi didn't do as told, he just pretended, his father knew that. Hedgar tried to understand what was said, but the Big Folk was all over the place, and the little hobbit didn't seem to get noticed, and if he was, they gave him glares. "Filthy little, I mean big...." he muttered. He felt his tunic being dragged downwards. It was Fippi reaching up, "I want to go home. They are saying so many horrible things.." he said giving a sigh. His father nodded, to Fippi's pleasure. "Come," Fippi said, now taking his father's hand and turning from the noisy crowd.

-------------------------------------------

Hedgar's son ran the little distance remaining. Hedgar followed in his slow pace. The hobbit wasn't very pleased with today's 'adventure'. His son was sad, he had obviously heard too much.

"Where have you been?" It was Rosie's voice calling. Fippi had reached their home, Hedgar would too, when she'd calm down. They were far too late for their planned lunch.

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

Old 09-19-2003, 07:24 AM   #20
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arwen, Tinuviel, Nova & Oro,

A hearty welcome to all - and I can't wait to see your profiles and posts!

But just to clarify: we don't make saves on discussion thread. This means that all though you have announced for which character you're crafting a profile others can still apply for the same role - and you don't have any advantage over them by means of these saves.

But as I said already: can't wait to see what you have done with your characters! I know I won't be disappointed in my expectations for the quality of all your profiles and posts. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Annun

EDIT (referring to Cami's post below): Well, well; the old saying 'Great minds think alike' has proved accurate once again! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 09-19-2003, 07:25 AM   #21
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

"Saves" -- Well, not exactly. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hi, there everyone! You need to get your post and profile up to be considered for the game. Your acceptance will be based on our review of that, rather than any particular placement on this thread.

However, we're definitely pleased to hear that several of you are working on something. I'll be keeping my eyes open over the weekend and will try to read things shortly after they go up. If you can, try to fill in your save within 48 hours.

Folk who come later....it's probably best to wait till you have the actual material to post, or we'll end up with a string of blank boxes! You have plenty of time if you work on it over the weekend. We won't do any formal acceptances at least till early next week to give folk a chance to reply.

Again, we're really looking forward to seeing those creative characters. This game should be fun!

Big and Little Folk - remember to do you brief profile of a secondary child character as specified earlier in the thread.

Cami

Whoops, this is funny! Annunfuiniel and I just cross posted with basically the same message. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #22
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Novnarwen have posted now. As you see, she wants to play Rosie's (my character's) husband. I hope that's okey.

I also hope it's okey that we only have one child, but if you want us to fix it, I'll do it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Nice game, and nice characters so far!

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 09-19-2003, 11:18 AM   #23
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

SAVES! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Cami - you soft-hearted moderator!!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~~ Pio [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 12:18 PM   #24
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Soft-hearted? Me? Cami slinks sheepishly into the bushes.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ahem,....back to business here! Oro and Nova, those look very promising, especially the idea of a couple.

Annunfuiniel needs to see them. Plus we won't be doing acceptances till at least next week. I want to look at them more closely over the weekend and I will send you a pm if there are any minor revisions I can suggest.

Thanks again for being so prompt!

Cami
Old 09-19-2003, 01:03 PM   #25
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oro and Nova,

As Cami put it we don't make any acceptances yet. But I'll say things are looking good for you two! You will be hearing from me or Cami in the next few days by PM after we have discussed about your little family.

Cami - get out from those bushes and check your PMs, please. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Annun
Old 09-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #26
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annun,

Please check your pms. You should have my note by now. Scratches head in puzzlement! If it did not arrive, please advise.

Cami
Old 09-19-2003, 01:24 PM   #27
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Cami,

We cross-posted again; I got your PM right after I had posted that last 'check your PMs' -note.

And - just to make things a bit more complicated - the PM, with which you answered the PM that I asked you to check, has now been answered! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

(Bedtime, I know...)

~Annun
Old 09-19-2003, 01:41 PM   #28
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Quote:
Oro and Nova,
As Cami put it we don't make any acceptances yet. But I'll say things are looking good for you two! You will be hearing from me or Cami in the next few days by PM after we have discussed about your little family.
Great! I'll be checking my PMs the next few days [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #29
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I've just posted to say a few things.

1: I've edited my 'save' (eek!)
2: Cami's been PM'ing me over the past couple of days, and I just sent her my profile to look over.

Thanks!
-Fëa
Old 09-19-2003, 03:33 PM   #30
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arwen,

Many thanks! Yes, that Cami can be a real "pest" filling up everyone's in-box with little messages. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Your characters look interesting. I especially like the tension between father and daughter. Very clever.

I sent you a pm about the book. Since it was rare for hobbits to read or write in this early period, we may need to do a little explaining about that book she's reading.

Take a look at my idea and see what you think. Kari may need to tell her father where she got the book and who wrote it.

You can respond by pm or on the thread.

Cami

Old 09-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #31
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I've responded to the PM, but I'll post here too.

I changed the book thing a little. Anything else you see Cami, you can edit.

-Fëa
Old 09-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #32
Asa

Eye

Do you still need prayers or are you all filled up?

Old 09-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Asa

Looks as if there is room for you to try for any of the character types:

Big Folk of Bree(Men)
Little Folk of Bree (Hobbits)
Outlaws (Men)

Take your pick - read the proposal carefully, then do a character bio using the form on the proposal and write a first post for your character.

Once you are done with that - put BOTH the character description and the First Post here on the Discussion Thread.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator
Old 09-20-2003, 02:32 AM   #34
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yes, Asa - please put up a profile and a first post for us to consider; Cami and I haven't given a definite 'yes' to anyone yet.

Arwen - job well done! You'll be hearing from us next week.

Tinuviel - your character looks very promising too. You'll also hear more from us in the near future.

~Annun

EDIT: And because repetition does no one any harm... Here's once again the Characters Needed list (with the current situation of appliers):

· Big Folk of Bree (Race of Man) - 3, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially dislike the hobbits.

- Alvinac (+ Karianne) by ArwenBaggins

* We could make use of one female here!
* We need one of the Big Folk to serve as mayor. If you're interested, pm Annunfuiniel to let her know.

· Little Folk of Bree (Race of Hobbit) – 3-4, no more than 1 female : At least two of these should initially be very mistrustful of the men.

- Rosie (+Fippi) by Orofaniel
- Hedgar (+Fippi) by Novnarwen

Big and Little Folk should choose a realistic occupation such as farmer, cook, miller, peddler, baker, laborer, stable hand, teamster, minstrel etc.

Important:

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 09-20-2003, 09:14 AM   #35
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This looks like fun! Wow, there are some cool characters up here.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes: The Summons
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None
3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – Yes: The Green Dragon

Arestevana’s Character: Kirima

NAME: Kirima

RACE: Men (Outlaws)

WEAPONS: She carries a small knife for foraging in a wrist sheath and a walking stick.

APPEARANCE: Kirima is of average height and strong. She is thin from too little food, but not skeletal. Her skin is tanned to olive and she has long black hair and dark eyes. She wears a faded green dress of rough cloth and a tattered grey cloak.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kirima is a quiet, gentle person. She was kind to everyone and laughed often, but the attack on her village changed her. Now she almost never speaks. She does not wish to harm innocent people, and tells herself the Breelanders are like the hillmen the raided her home. She is too trusting, though this trait has been tempered by her recent experiences. Kirima also has talent in healing, a gift her mother taught her much about. It was mainly for this that she was permitted to travel with the scouting party, though she is a good scout and moves quietly in the woods. Her skill with a bow and arrows is good, but not exceptional, and her combat skills are somewhat lacking.

HISTORY: Kirima lived with her family on a farm in the foothills: Her husband, Gannon, their two year old son Pepin and their infant daughter Brier. Her mother and younger siblings, three brothers and two sisters, lived on a neighboring farm. When the hillmen attacked, Kirima was out foraging. She returned to find her husband and daughter cruelly murdered. Pepin was missing. At her parents’ house she found her father, mother, and eldest brother dead. There was no sign of the others. There were several other survivors, but most were badly wounded, and many died. When a band of refugees came through the town, Kirima left with them in an attempt to escape from her grief.

Arestevana's post

Kirma sat against a tree. She dragged her fingers through her tangles black hair and began to tie it into a rough braid. Even this simple activity gave her something to keep her mind off—she shied away from the thought. Tying the braid off at the end, she flipped it back over her shoulder and curled up, staring at the fire.

‘My beard will get whiter waiting for that blasted scout!’

Kirima started, but it was only Lotar again. He was pacing to and fro kicking at the ground and fuming. ‘How am I supposed to plan anything if that dolt takes his pleasant time coming back with the mapping!’ he yelled. She frowned, knowing she was much too skittish these days. These days. She stood up, grabbing a pail and starting off to find water, wishing she could forget.

It took little time to find a stream, and Kirima soon returned to camp. She filled a small pan with water from the bucket, trying not to think about the house it had come from and the devastation there. Skirting awkwardly around a man sitting at the fire, she placed the pan in the coals at the fire’s edge.

Suddenly she realized that the camp was quieter than it has been when she left. Glancing around, she saw that the scout had returned and was talking quietly to Lotar and Kandel. Turning back to the fire she threw a handful of herbs into the pot. They floated there, seeming to ask, Who are you kidding? This isn’t food. She glared at the water for a moment, and then turned and sat down against a tree again, her head in her hands, wishing it were all a dream.

----------------------------------------
Thanks, Cami. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Arestevana ]

Old 09-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #36
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Thanks everyone for the submissions. As Annunfuiniel said, no definite word till next week, but there are some interesting characters here.

I will be getting back with some of you on suggested revisions, either here or by pm.

Arestevana - Please check your pms. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cami
Old 09-20-2003, 10:10 AM   #37
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I'm just gonna be checking in here every once in a while to see what's going on. When are you going to be choosing? Because Monday I have an Academic Team meet and I won't be on.

Thanks,
Fëa
(Alvinac & Kari)
Old 09-20-2003, 10:13 AM   #38
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I received a completed profile and post from Eruantalon as an outlaw that should be going up shortly.

You are welcome to craft a profile and post for any character that interests you in the story.

However, if you are undecided, I would encourage you to consider one of the residents of Bree, either hobbit or man.

We are really looking for a mayor which could be an interesting role.

Cami

[ September 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #39
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arwen,

Check your pms.

Cami
Old 09-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #40
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

-Er- I haven't any new PM's!

I'm Check again.

-Fëa-