The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe FotR EE throw-away scenes?

Some scenes in FotR EE version really didn't seem to warrant being put in (IMO), they were just confusing & didn't add enough to the story to justify their being put in really. For example:<P>*Aragorn singing the 'lay of Luthien' when the hobbits were sleeping (most of them). I don't think many non-book-reading fans would really even get this part. I also hardly think it was worth sticking it in there, even if it does add a <I>little</I> bit to the Aragorn/Arwen relationship.<P>*Galadriel holding out Nenya on her finger & saying, "THis is Nenya, the Ring of Adament. & I am it's keeper." #1- No one that hasn't read the books would understand what Nenya or the Ring of Adament is & #2- It basically serves no purpose except to show that she is also a ring bearer.<P> There may be others that I'll think of & post about l8tr, but for now:<P>*Give me your opinon on the scenes.<P>*Add any more scenes that you thought served no purpose.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I very much enjoyed the scene in which Aragorn recites part of the <I>Lay of Leithian</I> before they reach Rivendell. It is an interesting enough piece of exposition, and I certainly found his quick conversation with Frodo to be a poignant scene. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't think many non-book-reading fans would really even get this part. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think, in defence of Mr. Jackson, that the Extended Edition was meant to cater to the people already familiar with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien moreso than was the theatrical release.<P>I too disliked Galadriel's revelation that she was the bearer of Nenya. It was just another example of her character's dumbing-down needlessly (another being her telling Frodo unambiguously that Boromir "will try to take the Ring").<P>My favorite Extended Edition scene was the brief, melancholy and hauntingly beautiful passing of the Elves to the Havens, as viewed through the eyes of Frodo and Sam.<p>[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 09-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Although I don't think it was essentially <I>neccesary</I> to put it in, I did like the Lay of Luthien scene. It added more to the (surprisingly) dumbed-down movie Aragorn, if no other excuse can be found for its eventual inclusion. <P>I think Mr. Jackson added the (sort of confusing without the book dialogue to back it up) bit with Nenya because of the fact that Galadriel goes with the ringbearers (most of them) to the Grey Havens in the end. And that is quite a nice link between them all. Also it was perhaps to show that she knew a bit -if ever so small compared to Mr. Frodo's- of the burden that it was to him. <P>All in all, I think Jackson did well to include them, as there are/were many fans (not excluding myself- in some cases) who were undoubtedly dissapointed with their loss in the original.<P>My favourite EE scene however, would probably (currently) have to be THE DRINKING SONG. <p>[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My favourite EE scene however, would probably (currently) have to be THE DRINKING SONG. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Heck yeah!<P>Well, I just thought that those scenes were a nice added touch for the book-readers, so that we could say "Yes! They put that part in!" and feel better about the adaptation.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The added scenes were a nice touch, and I think they not only helped to unfold the plot a bit more, but also added nice little insights into Middle Earth life and customs.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My favorite Extended Edition scene was the brief, melancholy and hauntingly beautiful passing of the Elves to the Havens, as viewed through the eyes of Frodo and Sam. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That was sooo beautiful. I was wandering in the woods yesterday evening, under the fading sunlight, and I just had to sing the music. It was the perfect setting.<BR>The scene gave a great depth to the personal story of the elves, showing how they were gradually departing from Middle Earth. It makes me sad to think that an ancient part of that world is being lost, rather like our own world's old ways and customs (I'm rather a past-dweller, always with my head in a lost, ancient land, so it really touches me).<P>The drinking song was great
Old 09-12-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I liked all the added scenes and I could care less about the people who haven't read the books. No one that I know has the extended edition without reading the books.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I could care less about the people who haven't read the books.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It can also be rather confusing to casual book-readers who haven't read about Luthien & Beren. <I>I</I> don't have a real problem with any of the scenes I mentioned, but I don't think they added very much. The Drinking Song! That has to rank up there.<P>P.S. I'd definatly say Aragorn's song added more to the movie (& was less confusing) than the 'nenya' seen did. I didn't mind necesarily that we got to see Nenya, but it sure didn't serve hardly any purpose.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Mr. Jackson added the (sort of confusing without the book dialogue to back it up) bit with Nenya because of the fact that Galadriel goes with the ringbearers (most of them) to the Grey Havens in the end. And that is quite a nice link between them all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> I do agree that's probably why he did it, but to me it was just an intersting choice to put in. Since the she didn't expound upon it at all or anything...Oh well, just random thoughts of mine
Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 PM   #8
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think there's any point in pondering 'what was the point'...what is the point to life? Ok, I'll shut up now...<BR>Although I will say that I liked the little touches that the EE added, if only because it added in some things the theatrical version missed.<BR>By the way, are you a mod, Estel?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>are you a mod, Estel?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Lol, nope sorry. I get asked that a lot, though, so you're not the only one . I also liked many of the extra scenes, but the aformentioned ones less.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe...oh well...I was just wondering, because you seem like one...if that even makes sense. It probably doesn't. Oh well...<BR>Back on topic...nope, I can't think of anything more to say.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Since the she didn't expound upon it at all or anything...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That was really what made it confusing. She probably should have gone into it a bit more...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I am in favor of both Aragorn's song and Galadriel's Nenya for same reasons already cited. Love the drinking song for same reasons cited. Very very glad they actually let us know who Boromir was before Caradhras. Think they should have taken out or edited more off the repeated Isildur's hacking off the Ring--you begin to wonder if there's some odd reason why it's shown so often. And ... I wish they'd deleted or redone the edits when Boromir dies--first his hand is on Aragorn's shoulder and then it isn't. Same thing with Arwen's sword raised and then not raised across the river during the confrontation with the Black Riders.<P>Okay, and there's one more thing that I think should have been deleted or changed somehow. I don't know if this one's just me, though--when they are about to reach Moria, Gandalf asks Frodo to "come help and old man." They have a serious conversation, and Gandalf warns Frodo to trust himself. Frodo asks for advice and Gandalf says he doesn't know because "Against some foes I have not been tested." Am I missing a connection there or does one have to stretch credulity to make sense of that exchange?<P>I think this is the one film where I can spot irritating bloopers and gaffes, but it still captivates me and I love it like a good friend.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:39 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I personally don't think at all that the EE scenes were "throw away". Though they really did not add much to the actual story, they were all really lovely, and some of them were very sad I especially loved the scene of the Fellowship leaving Rivendell, and I also liked the scene where Aragorn was at his mothers grave and Elrond was talking in the background. I don't know why I liked that last scene, and I really don't know where it fits into the story, but I still think it turned out really beautiful. But maybe that is one of the problems.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is an old thread...but I saw FotR-EE with my family for the first time this weekend. It was in a special limited run at a theatre. I thought it was awesome.<P>BUT, and here come the buts: <BR><I>1. The scene with Strider singing the Lay of Luthien in the wilderness before Weathertop left me at a loss.</I> Why insert that, if they weren't going to have Strider go into the story--however briefly--as in the book? So even the non-book readers have an idea that he and Arwen parallel Beren and Luthien.<P><I>2. Aragorn saying he didn't want Arwen to marry him, and renounce her immortality?</I> I think since he was 20 (LotR, Appendix A), this was his heart's desire, though, he patiently subordinated it to life tasks. Did I misinterpret something? In my opinion, it greatly adds to the wimpiness and indecisiveness of the movie Aragorn.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM   #15
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

While I've only seen the Extended Edition once and can't recall in detail every scene, I think it was absolutely necessary to expand on the scenes in Lothlórien. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It basically serves no purpose except to show that she is also a ring bearer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't you think that it's fairly significant that she is a Ringbearer?! Without being reminded of this (I don't believe that one shot at the beginning of the film was enough) it makes several of Galadriel's other comments confusing to anyone not familiar with the books, which is hardly very fair on them. If you want to talk about "throw-away scenes" let's discuss PJs little Indiana Jones moment with the falling stairs in Moria!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #16
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Don't you think that it's fairly significant that she is a Ringbearer?! Without being reminded of this (I don't believe that one shot at the beginning of the film was enough) it makes several of Galadriel's other comments confusing to anyone not familiar with the books, which is hardly very fair on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True, but how many peole 'not familiar with the books' will really get the "This is Nenya, the Ring of Adament' part without any further explanation? I mean, it doesn't specify it's one of the 3 elven rings, 7 very few people will remember seeing her wearing it at the very start (I didn't). I think it could've been a much better scene with a little expansion .