The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Sami
Newly Deceased

Sami has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel Quote

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it."

What does nobody remember? Aren't there lots of characters in middle earth who remember pretty much everything that has gone on for the past 3000 years? including galadriel herself.
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Good question.

The line is taken out of context. As I recall, Treebeard uses the first part of it --water, earth, air -- in the book to suggest that the light is returning to Middle-earth (proven correct with the defeat of Sauron).

The film uses it awkwardly, and it's exacerbated with the additional line about no-one now living who remember things that are lost. It's a meaningless sentence which amounts to: certain things that some people used to know were not passed on to other people and are thus lost to current knowledge. Might as well say: people die.

In a film featuring several characters with extra-long life, it's particularly odd.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, at least it sounds cool.

She couldn't just say, "People die." How good would that sound? I think it would have been more appropriate to have written the line, "For few now live who remember it" because, as you say, there are couple characters who remember it first hand - Galadriel, Elrond - and several who know of it second hand or more - Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman, Denethor. Several had forgotten it, but it wasn't lost altogether.

But, really, a lot of times, the main purpose of cool sounding quotes in a movie is purely for how cool they sound, and not for any other purpose. Think about half of Legolas' lines - "A diversion!" "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your alliegance." (How was Boromir supposed to know who on earth Arathorn was?)

Just my thought.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
The line is taken out of context. As I recall, Treebeard uses the first part of it --water, earth, air -- in the book to suggest that the light is returning to Middle-earth.
You're certainly right that was taken out of context (PJ did that a fair amount).

I think, however, that Treebeard's intent was sadness at the changing, not hope in returning light. In the fuller quote Treebeard is speaking to Galadriel & Celeborn
Quote:
It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again.
To which Celeborn says he doesn't know and Galadriel says not until the lands under-the-wave (ie, Beleriand) are lifted up
Quote:
Then in the willow meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the spring.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

You're right, Puddleglum. I was posting without checking the book.

Folwren, I wasn't suggesting using that line - the point was that both are just as bad!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
But, really, a lot of times, the main purpose of cool sounding quotes in a movie is purely for how cool they sound, and not for any other purpose. Think about half of Legolas' lines - "A diversion!"
I think those "Captain Obvious" lines are meant to be for the benefit of audience members who haven't been paying attention.

But as for your main point– no, it's not unusual in adaptations for "cool" lines to be given to a different character, sometimes in a context which changes the meaning altogether.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
jcarry
Newly Deceased

jcarry has just left Hobbiton.
HY every one how are you here i am sharing some information with you.

Galadriel: It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves; immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven, to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race. But they were all of them deceived, for a new ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret, a master ring, to control all others. And into this ring he poured all his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I find failed spam the most amusing of all.