The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Watching the SE Directer comentary....

I came across a few things that he said which were interestong.<P>1) When Aragorn is leaving Rivendell and looks at Arwen and PJ says "They won't be seeing each other for a long time." Not tiel ROTK I gathered. Makes me believe that Arwen will take Narsil as far as Lothlorien and Haldir who I believe is at Helms Deep will bring Aragorn the sword.<P>2) He hinted that the Evenstar given to Aragorn will comeinto play in some way. My guess it is when Eowyn asks who gave it to him. They talked why they gave it to Aragorn instead of Arwen giving it to Frodo at the end and they said it was more of a symbolism than anything.<P>3) The Scouring of the Shire isn't in the movie. They said Frodo looking in the mirror and seeing it is their homage to that part but it doesn't work as a movie. I tend to agree.<P>4) They talked about the magic chants Gandalf, Saruman, and Arwen used. Saruman was telling Caradharas to wake up, and Gandalf was pleading with it to go to sleep. Arwen did not raise the river herself. She just asked the river to rise up. Big Tolkien concept that nature has a spirit of its own.<P>5) He put Wings on the Balrog because Tolkien said it had wings, which he did.<P>6) He admitted that cutting down Lothlorien in the original version wasn't a very good thing but had to be done.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I found number 4 very interesting. I'd always wondered what exactly they were saying, and it seemed somewhat cheesy to me. Especially the mountain bit. But it makes more sense that they were merely, "asking" the mountain and river to do their bidding. So it <I>was</I> Caradhras being nasty...they just had Saruman say, "Hey, wake up." Cool.<P>I really wish, now, that Lothlorien had been left intact for the theatrical release. It is so good! I mean, I didn't mind the shorter version so much before watching the extended version, but now that I have I can't imagine enjoying it the other way again. Oh well, directors have tough decisions to make.<P>BTW, I mean to listen to all those commentaries eventually, but right now I'm still making my way through the appendices. Gosh, there's so much.<p>[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 11-19-2002, 03:02 PM   #3
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah the request of nature is big. I read a dumb review and the person said "Well if that wizard is so powerful why didn't he just cause a rock to fall out of the sky and crush the fellowship." We the mountain is making its own decisions on how to be wicked not Saruman.<P>I agree on Lothlorien. The best line of the movie in my opinion wasn't evben in the original: "I asked her for one hair from her golden head. She gave me three."

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:57 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yes, I've repeated that line to myself a few times. Aw...it's just great! Did you see the segment in the "Cameras in Middle-earth" feature (Disc 4) where John-Rhys Davies talked about why they had Gimli tell Legolas that instead of showing it? I agree with him...it might have lost something the other way.