The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #761
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Not meaning anyone present here, of course...

Quote:
What a nuisance!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:34 AM   #762
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Shooting wild

I judge that having trousers torn would be a nuisance, so Artaxerxes, maybe?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #763
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Close, but not the right speaker - nor the right situation!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-27-2006, 03:43 AM   #764
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Might as well have a stab at it too

Psamathos Psamathides? I reckon that if I'm wrong I've still narrowed it down to one wizard.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #765
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Actually, the speaker is not a wizard...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 AM   #766
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
...but the wife of a wizard!

It's Mrs. Artaxerxes (the Merkings daughter) who exclaims "Dear me! What a nuisance!" when Roverandom complains that he can't swim.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #767
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Precisely! Guinevere takes the cake - or internet cookies, as they're easier to transport virtually...
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #768
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you for the cookie!

But it made me rather thirsty, so

Quote:
That's the time for drinking!
Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 AM   #769
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Willow-wren is speaking to Tom Bombadil in the Adventures of...:
Quote:
"Down by Mithe," I'll say, "just as sun is sinking."
Hurry up, hurry up! That's the time for drinking!'
Guess we'll have to wait a few hours till sundown...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 AM   #770
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Right!

It didn't take you long to solve that one!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #771
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

A favorite sentence:
Quote:
I told you so.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #772
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

it's about time to solve this one!

It is said by the gloomy blacksmith to the people of Ham (and the King and his knights) when Chrisophylax failed to return with the promised treasures on January the 14th.

(I thought it sounded like him, but only today did I look it up and found the quote!)
Old 03-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #773
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well done, Guinevere! Pray proceed with a new one.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #774
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Well, that's cleared up.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #775
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That (mystery i)s cleared up - Nokes said it to Prentice almost at the end of Smith of Wootton Major.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #776
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Exactly! You cleared that one up immediately.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #777
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Let's try for another fast one:
Quote:
Come on now quick!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #778
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

So much for a quick solution - anyone still willing to give it a try?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #779
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I knew the answer, but wanted to give someone else a chance. But apparently, no one else is interested

It's Torhthelm shuddering and speaking to Tídwald:

"Come on now quick! Christ forgive me,
and these evil days, when unregretted
men lie mouldering, ..."
Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #780
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm glad you're still interested, Guinevere! You're right, of course, and I look forward to a new quote from you.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:15 AM   #781
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

This one is probably way too easy for you, but it's something that I often think of myself:

Quote:
I wish I was more strong-minded.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 AM   #782
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, I'm not going to wait for anyone else to solve this one, since so few are interested. It's Niggle, speaking to himself (the only audience he had much of the time!).
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #783
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Correct, of course!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #784
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The fate of this thread occasionally:
Quote:
I'd half forgotten.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #785
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

How true!!

I had suspected all along that the quote was in "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth", but only this weekend did I get back my "Tree & Leaf" edition to confirm it.

It's Torhthelm speaking to Tídwald: "The Danes, you say!
Make haste! Let's go! I'd half forgotten."
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #786
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's it! Now for a new one, please...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #787
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quote:
Now try again!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #788
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
'Now try again!' said the farmer. "And try harder!"
I did my very best, and so did Farmer Giles of Ham, speaking to the dragon, who was doing his best to get out of an uncomfortable situation.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 AM   #789
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

My goodness, that was fast work, Esty! Amazing!
And I had thought it was perhaps too short and I would have to add "and try harder" !
Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #790
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It was close to the quote on the other minor works thread, and I happened to have the book opened to that, so found it on the very next page.

Here's another short one - if it's too difficult, I can add to it.
Quote:
That's natural.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #791
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Nokes explaining his loss of weight rationally (to anyone who would listen):

"And if you stop eating, you grow thinner. That's natural. Stands to reason. There ain't no magic in it."
Old 05-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #792
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You got it! Good job. The floor (of the thread, at least) is yours now.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #793
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!

Quote:
What if I upset you?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #794
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the otter, speaking to Tom Bombadil, who's out boating:
Quote:
Hoosh! Tom Bombadil! 'Tis long since last I met you.
Turned water-boatman, eh? What if I upset you?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #795
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Yes, of course!

Another immediate answer! You know these works by heart, it seems!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 AM   #796
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I must confess, these threads have had an important part in increasing my knowledge of the minor works! Combing through them to find the quotes has me rereading them, at least partially, quite often.

Now try to find this one:

Quote:
Let them get on with it!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 AM   #797
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Yes, the same thing happened to me with LotR, the Silm and U.T., when I partook in Quotable Quotes! When looking for the quotes I always got hooked and read whole chapters and more.

And I have found your quote

It's Farmer Giles' reaction to Garm's news that he had seen a dragon, but relatively far away:

"Oh, away there!" "They're queer folk in those parts, I've heard tell, and aught might happen in their land. Let them get on with it!"
Old 05-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #798
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's it! Your turn...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #799
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I found another proverb!
Quote:
Live and learn!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #800
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
When something is done to domestic animals by seaweed wizards (who should be blistered and warted by animal watch for this, no doubt, and maybe even potted and jammed too), or maybe by Persian plum-pickers, other wizards tend to learn a thing or two, student in the case being Psamathos Psamathides...

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 06-01-2006 at 08:33 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote