The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2002, 03:19 PM   #81
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

You got the title of the work and the title of the poem, but the speaker is neither the boat nor the shell.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #82
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

OK, if the narrator is the one speaking that sentence, then it would be Frodo, as the poem is also called Frodos Dreme.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:31 PM   #83
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I would have accepted "The narrator". Good show.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:55 PM   #84
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This quote may be easily identifiable, but I think it's so funny that I can't resist!
Quote:
What, digestive and genital organs of plants?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 AM   #85
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Tompkins to Atkins, discussing late Niggle and his appreciation of flowers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #86
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Basically correct, HI, though Tompkins was quoting himself speaking to Niggle (about leaves as well) in that conversation with Atkins. Pray proceed!
Old 10-23-2002, 04:45 AM   #87
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

thanks

Quote:
It means much the same; but call it that if you like.

Old 10-24-2002, 11:58 AM   #88
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That would be Nokes the Cook speaking to Prentice in Smith of Wootton Major.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:22 PM   #89
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Squatter rulez! Carry on the banner [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2002, 05:23 PM   #90
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Thank-you, O Chanting One. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
My back's broken, and the breath has left me.
Is that a rock-and-roll quotation or what?
Old 10-26-2002, 02:19 AM   #91
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

No, it's Sam, after 'trimming the grass-border under the window'. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Not canonical, you say? Well then, it's Torhthelm to Tídwald in 'The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth'.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:22 AM   #92
Spectre of Decay

1420!

Estelyn takes up the baton again. The crowd yells "Go, Esty; go Esty!" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 05:45 AM   #93
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I know this one is easy to identify, but since it's one of my very favorites, here it is:
Quote:
Man, sub-creator, the refracted light through whom is splintered from a single White
to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:21 AM   #94
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's Philomythus again. Sixth stanza of Mythopoeia
Old 10-26-2002, 08:07 AM   #95
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Correct, of course, Sir Squatter, and isn't it beautiful! Please proceed.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #96
Spectre of Decay

Sting

It most certainly is, Your Highness.

Quote:
Yet I hope that what I have later to say about the other questions will give some glimpses of my own imperfect vision of it.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #97
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That is Tolkien speaking as the narrator of the essay 'On Fairy Stories'.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:05 PM   #98
Spectre of Decay

Sting

I say. Jolly good show, what?

You may proceed.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:07 AM   #99
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

OK, let's see if this one will keep you looking a bit longer!
Quote:
What do you want?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #100
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
A drowsy cook gave a surly look,
and 'What do you want?' said he.
'I want fire and gold and songs of old
and red wine flowing free!'
It's the inn's cook to the Man in the Moon from The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Old 10-27-2002, 10:53 AM   #101
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Absolutely right, as so often - please continue!
Old 10-27-2002, 12:47 PM   #102
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Okey dokey:
Quote:
And your eyes fancied barrow-wights and bogies.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:59 PM   #103
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

It sounds like bombadil, but I'm not able to find exact quotation. Would you be so kind to give us a clue?

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:03 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 AM   #104
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

My first guess would be Tolkien in the essay 'On Fairy-Stories', though I haven't the time to search right now.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:30 AM   #105
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Don't tell me I've got both of you stumped. It's neither Bombadil nor Tolkien, I'm sorry to say, but think along the lines of battles and you'll get it.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:14 AM   #106
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

You obviously have The only mention of bogies I could recall comes from here:

Quote:
Hoy! Here's Woodman Tom with his billу-beard on!'
laughed all the little folk of Hays-end and Breredon.
'Ware, Tom' We'll shoot you dead with our bows and arrows'
We don't let Forest-folk nor bogies from the Barrows
cross over Brandywine by cockle-boat nor ferry'.
'Fie, little fatbellies! Don't ye make so merry!
Nothing else I can think of as yet

BTW, what battles?

Old 10-28-2002, 06:38 AM   #107
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
BTW, what battles?
Ones that are over.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:11 AM   #108
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, that clue did it - it was Tídwald to Torhthelm in 'The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son' - tricky reference there!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:19 AM   #109
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the answer I was looking for. And to think I only put it in there as a tribute to Our Beloved Founder...

Your turn, Estelyn.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 AM   #110
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
All is vane.
I assure you, the homophone is spelled correctly! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 12:11 PM   #111
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
A complete shot in the dark: Farmer Giles in Farmer Giles from Ham?
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:57 PM   #112
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Nope, Eärendil, sorry!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:18 AM   #113
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Nas-s-sty, tricky S-s-s-squatter

Estelyn, that's Weathercock in Bilbo's "Winter"

Quote:
'My case is hard' the throstle cried,
And 'All is vane' the cock replied,
And so they set their wail up.

Old 10-29-2002, 01:43 AM   #114
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Very good, HI! Go ahead with the next one.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:27 AM   #115
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
That will learn him

Old 10-29-2002, 02:42 PM   #116
Spectre of Decay

Sting

The villagers of Ham, on seeing Giles and his blunderbuss turn back the giant.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:27 AM   #117
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Definitely, Sir. Proceed

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 10-30-2002, 01:49 PM   #118
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Very well, Sir

Quote:
Nameless nightshades - naught else can I see
Old 10-30-2002, 11:52 PM   #119
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Again, it's Tídwald to Torhthelm in 'The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son'. That poem does have a lot of parts appropriate for the Barrow-Downs, doesn't it?! Seems to be your current favorite, Squatter - getting in the mood for Halloween?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:35 PM   #120
Spectre of Decay

Sting

You're right about the source of that quotation, Esty. Prepare for Halloween? I suppose I do make sure that I have plenty of pellets for my air gun...