The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2002, 02:14 PM   #121
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's a nice Halloween quote:
Quote:
Think less, and talk less of ghosts.
[ October 31, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 AM   #122
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Tidwald to Torthelm, whom he thought to be frightened by an owl hoot

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:48 AM   #123
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That's it, HI - your turn!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-04-2002, 02:30 AM   #124
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Thanks

Quote:
He was a very good neighbour, and let me have excellent potatoes very cheap, which saved me a lot of time
+ about whom + circumstances

Old 11-05-2002, 07:17 AM   #125
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Niggle is speaking of Parish to the Two Voices in 'purgatory' after both men have died.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:04 AM   #126
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

aiwa, meaning , "yes"

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:08 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 11-06-2002, 06:57 AM   #127
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's an optimistic quote for the day:
Quote:
I expect it will turn out all right.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:58 AM   #128
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that's old Master Cook, smith's grandfather, to Alf when he (grandfather) was leaving

Old 11-07-2002, 04:19 AM   #129
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quite right, HI - your turn!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:48 AM   #130
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

I confess I'm going to cheat (just a little), but who said this:

Quote:
He who would enter into the Kingdom of Faerie should have the heart of a little child

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:10 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 11-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #131
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That quote was a bit tricky, HI, though I was sure I would find it in Tolkien's essay 'On Fairy Stories'. There he quotes Andrew Lang, who made the above statement.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:04 AM   #132
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Yes, Esty, that's him

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:10 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 11-13-2002, 05:55 AM   #133
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a new quote for you:
Quote:
You'll never find it out, the way that we have brought you!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:42 AM   #134
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Badger-brock to Tom Bombadil

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:09 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 11-13-2002, 07:44 AM   #135
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Yes indeed, HI - go ahead with a new one!
Old 11-13-2002, 07:52 AM   #136
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

well, off we go!

Quote:
Now then! One at a time

Old 11-20-2002, 05:19 AM   #137
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Time to get this neglected thread going again! The answer is: Farmer Giles of Ham, trying to make sense of everyone talking all at once!
Old 11-20-2002, 06:21 AM   #138
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

corrr-r-r-rrect

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:04 AM   #139
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's a quote that tickles my fancy:
Quote:
His head was not screwed on tight enough.
Who says it, and of whom?
Old 11-25-2002, 03:09 AM   #140
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Anyone want to take a shot at this quote? It's quite easy!
Old 11-26-2002, 01:12 AM   #141
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

well, that's First Voice about Niggle in ":eaf by Niggle"

Old 11-26-2002, 04:06 AM   #142
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's right, HI - you're next!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:45 AM   #143
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
You will hear from us later

Old 11-29-2002, 06:09 AM   #144
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That was the King, Augustus Bonifacius Ambrosius Aurelianus Antoninus Pius et Magnificus, dux rex, tyrannus, et Basileus Mediterranearum Partium, speaking to Farmer Giles of Ham (or, if you prefer, Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo).
Old 11-30-2002, 02:49 AM   #145
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Mais oui, c'etait lui vraiment, Bonifacius rex etc etc Madame, votre tour, je vous en prie...

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:09 AM. Reason: sweeping party
Old 11-30-2002, 04:02 AM   #146
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Um, Madame is me, right? And it is my turn - but that's all I can guess. What little French I had the opportunity of learning has been mostly forgotten, unfortunately! Well, here's a new quote:
Quote:
It'll make them laugh.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:14 AM   #147
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Nokes to Alf at the putting of silver star into the Great Cake

Old 12-03-2002, 03:53 AM   #148
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Yes, HI, quite right - your turn!
Old 12-03-2002, 05:30 AM   #149
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
Now that you are here you shall dance with me

Old 12-03-2002, 06:59 AM   #150
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Sounds to me like the Queen of Faerie talking to Smith. Or am I off with the fairies myself?
Old 12-05-2002, 12:50 PM   #151
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* HerenIstarion announces Squatter's answer in Minor Works quotes to be correct

He can't remember his forum password, so I pasted that from the chat for him.

Go on, Squatter!
Old 12-05-2002, 03:09 PM   #152
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Thanks Legalos.

Quote:
You stumbling dolt, Look where you're going!
Old 12-08-2002, 06:56 AM   #153
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's Tídwald to Torhthelm in 'The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son'.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:35 AM   #154
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the one. Your turn, Esty.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:25 AM   #155
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I might go by other ways.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:45 AM   #156
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Tom Bombadil a-rowing

Old 12-12-2002, 02:52 AM   #157
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Yes indeed, HI - please go ahead!
Old 12-12-2002, 06:37 AM   #158
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
Oh well, there's no place like home, they say

Old 12-13-2002, 09:08 AM   #159
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the Giant, explaining to his relations why he didn't stay in the Middle Kingdom.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #160
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

That's him. Go ahead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]