The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2002, 11:13 AM   #161
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Righto. Here's one that could prove topical:
Quote:
I'll give your otter-fell to Barrow-wights.
Old 12-14-2002, 03:55 AM   #162
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That's Tom Bombadil; he continues:
Quote:
They'll taw you! Then smother you in gold-rings!
Hmmmmmm, that brings us back to the old question: What was Tom B's role in the matter of the Rings of Power???
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 07:19 AM   #163
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Tom it most certainly is, and indeed it does. You may continue.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:14 AM   #164
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Here's a challenge, I hope!
Quote:
For children are innocent and love justice; while most of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #165
Spectre of Decay

Sting

G.K. Chesterton. Tolkien quotes him in the section of On Fairy-Stories entitled Children. That was rather a tricky one, as I was naturally inclined to think that it was Tolkien himself who had said it.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:14 PM   #166
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I might have known that I couldn't baffle you for long; you're right, of course, Squatter. Your turn!
Old 12-14-2002, 02:55 PM   #167
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Thank you. Let's see how you fare with this one:
Quote:
To mortal fields say farewell
Old 12-14-2002, 05:07 PM   #168
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That is spoken by Elven boatsmen to Fíriel in 'The Last Ship'.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:09 PM   #169
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Indeed it is. Your turn.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:25 PM   #170
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
The shadow was the truth.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #171
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Ned Smithson, from Smith of Wootton Major
Old 12-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #172
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quite right, Spectre of Decay! Continue, please.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:41 PM   #173
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Thank-you, Your Highness. Here's one:
Quote:
I bow not yet before the Iron Crown
Old 12-16-2002, 06:01 AM   #174
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Sounds like Hurin, but I assume it can't be him, since we are playing minor works...hm...
a hint, maybe?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #175
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...not cast my own small golden sceptre down.

Wonderful line! That's Philomythus to Misomythus in Mythopoeia.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:07 PM   #176
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

blimey... how could I forgot...

*H-I is ashamed [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Squatter?

Old 12-16-2002, 02:58 PM   #177
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Esty's right. For shame, Heren.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:41 AM   #178
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I never knew you were so clever.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:58 AM   #179
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Parish to Niggle in Niggle's Parish in conversation with Shepherd

Old 12-18-2002, 04:19 AM   #180
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Absolutely and completely right, HI - your turn!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:26 AM   #181
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
...I feel so fat, for I have fed on cramsome bread...

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:17 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 12-19-2002, 03:57 PM   #182
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's Perry the Winkle again. This time to the townsfolk.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:23 AM   #183
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Yes Sir, you may proceed

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:17 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 12-30-2002, 11:21 AM   #184
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Squatter?

Old 01-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #185
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Sorry. Call of being somewhere remote for a while. Here's another to keep you going:

Quote:
Green is the land, the leaves are long, and the birds are singing.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #186
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, I finally found it! It's sung by the Elven rowers in 'The Last Ship'.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #187
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the one. I am agog with anticipation of your next quotation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 02:46 PM   #188
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
You need not grudge him his name.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:35 PM   #189
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Atkins, reproving the unpleasant Councillor Tompkins at the end of Leaf by Niggle.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #190
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Yes, Squatter, that's it - please proceed!
Old 01-09-2003, 03:34 PM   #191
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Try this one on for size then:

Quote:
I shall enchant my heart, and I shall place it upon the top of the flower of the cedar. Now the cedar shall be cut down and my heart will fall to the ground, and thou shalt come to seek for it...
Old 01-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #192
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
...even though thou pass seven years in seeking it; but when thou hast found it, put it into a vase of cold water, and in very truth I shall live.
That's beautiful, Squatter! It's from the essay 'On Fairy-Stories', quoting The Tale of the Two Brothers; speaker is the younger brother to the elder.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #193
Spectre of Decay

Sting

It is quite a nice piece. Next time I promise one from a named speaker. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Esty's turn
Old 01-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #194
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
The woven staves have yet worth in them for woeful hearts.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #195
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

This quote has been up almost a week - any takers??
Old 01-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #196
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
...But there's work to do ere the funeral begins.
That's Tídwald to Torhthelm again from The homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son
Old 01-21-2003, 03:24 PM   #197
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Righto, Squatter - your turn!
Old 01-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #198
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Thank'ee, Marm.

Here's a nice easy one:
Quote:
I told you so.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:03 AM   #199
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

'Twas the blacksmith in Farmer Giles of Ham. Is that the only occurrence, or does this quote show up in more than one place?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #200
Spectre of Decay

Sting

You're right again. I think he does say it more than once, as it happens.