The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2003, 05:19 PM   #201
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Quote:
I have cares of my own.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #202
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
I have cares of my own
in my heart, Totta, and my head's weary.
That's Tídwald again. What a cheery fellow he is, to be sure.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:58 PM   #203
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

*drrrrrrummmmmrrrrrrrooooooooollllllllllll*
Correct! Go ahead!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-30-2003, 03:01 PM   #204
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Very well, then. Who spake these heavy staves of doom?

Quote:
It's only an owl
Old 02-01-2003, 01:22 AM   #205
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Somehow this feels like a tennis match, Squatter - isn't there anyone out there who'd like to make it doubles??

Well, the answer is, it's our friend Tídwald to Torhthelm again, from The homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #206
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Correct. I couldn't resist its Pythonesque overtones.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #207
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I never invited you.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:21 PM   #208
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
'Go home, go home!' the old Troll said.
'I never invited you.
Only on Thursdays I bake my bread,
and only for a few.'
The Troll in question being, of course, Perry the Winkle's friend in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 PM   #209
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right you are, Sir Squatter - pray proceed!
Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 PM   #210
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Thanks. Have a go at this one:

Quote:
You'll have to go
Old 02-12-2003, 12:14 AM   #211
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I finally found it - it's the Inspector to Niggle in 'Leaf by Niggle'.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:24 AM   #212
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That's the fellow, miserable, officious little tick that he is.

Your turn.

Incidentally, why isn't anyone else playing this game? These stories contain some of the best lines and scenes of all Tolkien's books. Join us.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:49 AM   #213
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

HerenIstarion, who started this thread and has unfortunately been missing from it lately, and Squatter and I, who have been the only players recently, cordially invite one and all to join us in the fascinating search for quotes in Tolkien's minor works!

These are:

Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major
On Fairy Stories
Mythopoeia
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son

(contained in various collections, for example in 'Tree and Leaf' and 'Tales from the Perilous Realm')

Here's a new quote to start with:
Quote:
Who would have thought of seeing you here?
Old 02-19-2003, 06:49 AM   #214
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

ai, ai, the conversation which the given quote is derived from always makes me laugh

I won't answer though, and for 2 reasons

1 Let others join
2 I don't know when I'll be online next time

so I'll go away quitely grinning and chuckling under my moustache...

(well, I have no moustache to be honest, but it sounds funnier - chuckling under one's moustache...)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:19 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:12 AM   #215
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Heren, how nice that you dropped in here to say 'hi', at least - we've missed you! Now, who's going to try their hand at that quote - it's not hard at all.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #216
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Chrysophylax Dives, after Farmer Giles came face to face with this dragon and 'scrambled' on his horse.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:05 AM   #217
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Yes indeed, Legolas, and welcome! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #218
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Sting

Not difficult, by my reckoning:

Quote:
What at the mead man vows, when morning comes let him with deeds answer, or his drink vomit and a sot be shown.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #219
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's Torhthelm, quoting lays which say so. ('The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son')
Old 02-21-2003, 11:57 PM   #220
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Sting

Yes.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:31 AM   #221
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I cannot see clearly.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:46 AM   #222
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

The Smith of Wotton Major returning silver star into the black box

Old 02-24-2003, 10:52 AM   #223
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quite right, HI, and nice to have you back with us again! Your turn...
Old 02-25-2003, 12:49 AM   #224
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Thanks

next to go:

Quote:
A little closer inspection will
be required

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:23 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 02-26-2003, 04:00 PM   #225
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

'Tis the parson to Farmer Giles of Ham, trying to read the inscription on the sword Caudimordax.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 PM   #226
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

yes pray proceed

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:23 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 03-01-2003, 04:03 PM   #227
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I might go by other ways.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 AM   #228
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
Tom laughed to himself: 'Maybe then I'll go there.
I might go by other ways, but today I'll row there.'
Tom Bombadil a-boating again, Estelyn.

It's nice to see some other faces in this quiz again. I do hope you all stick around awhile for a little minor musing.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:10 AM   #229
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right you are, Squatter - your turn!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:12 AM   #230
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Righto:

Quote:
This is my time for sleep!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #231
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I've been looking for this quote, so far without success. I tried 'Tom Bombadil' and the 'Homecoming', thinking that it's from poetry, but haven't found it yet. Anyone want to help me look?
Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #232
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Keep looking. It's from a very minor work.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #233
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Is it in Roverandom? I don't have that one...
Old 03-10-2003, 03:56 AM   #234
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

it is indeed. The speaker being Psamathos Psamathides talking to Rover

Old 03-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #235
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Right you are, Heren old boy. You may proceed.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:08 AM   #236
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

thanks

I'll have a go than:

Quote:
What's your business here? Hat all stuck with arrows

Old 03-11-2003, 03:24 AM   #237
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's Farmer Maggot to Tom Bombadil in the 'Adventures' of the same - and nice to have you posting with us again, HI, even though you beat me to the Roverandom quote yesterday! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 06:46 AM   #238
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

yes indeed (both cases )

Pray proceed

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-20-2005 at 04:31 AM. Reason: sweeping party - smilies
Old 03-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #239
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
I see exactly what you are getting at.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:05 AM   #240
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Imaginary Niggle to Niggle proper about his painting