Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #521
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
My post is up. I didn't really advance the story much because I don't know what direction the story is going. I like the idea of the fake repentence of Herugor, although you can bet Azarmano will still be suspicious. With regards to the Kathaani question, I think that it would be more dramatic to have her die. So that's my vote. But I really don't feel strongly about it. What needs to happen before we board the ships story-wise? Will the game end as we are sailing off into the ocean and away from Numenor?

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 11-12-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #522
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that could make a good ending, but I'd like a small epilogue of on the shores of Middle Earth, perhaps weeks, months, or years later.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #523
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Two Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
You know that if is was really you, you would give your life so that your daughter could live.
I presume that I would. However, would my daughter let me? Kath is old enough to choose her own fate; that is why she was allowed to go off to save her father in the first place. Her parents can no longer take care of her as the child she was, because she is no longer that child. If her parents attempted to give their lives for hers, would she allow it? Would she rather see the futility of the situation, hoping against hope that they didn't do anything stupid and kept themselves alive to help people that weren't beyond aid? Do you see my reasoning? Kath's death and the complete and total uninvolvment of her parents would be coming of age with a vengeance, I suppose.

Second thing: Regin: much though I love your post, you have Regin with Kathaani. I've had her taken away in advance so that she is currently alone save for unimportant side characters. It doesn't match up.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #524
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's not your reasoning that's the problem, Fea. It's more or less an emotional thing for me, so it's just my problem. Do what you think best for the story.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:42 AM   #525
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Fea: I am sorry about that. I edited my post so that Azarmano only thinks about Kathaani and wishes that he could see her. Let me know if further revisions are needed so I can make them.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #526
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
It's not your reasoning that's the problem, Fea. It's more or less an emotional thing for me, so it's just my problem. Do what you think best for the story.
If by best for the story, you mean most able to eke out emotional responsiveness, then her death would be fantastic, as proven by you (and me... I'll admit it...). But if it does bother you that much, then there isn't a chance in The Void that I'm going to do it. I'm equally likely, you remember, to have her get better, or, slightly less optimistic, to have her survive, heal, but be unable to ride or something equally sad because of the long term affects of the wound. I'll admit to it being easier to contemplate the death of a character when it doesn't strike so close to home. My brushes with death have certainly not been fun (understatement of the century), but I haven't had to contemplate the loss of a child. Perhaps that's... I'm not sure if I want to do it any more. I don't think I could do the emotion justice for Inzillomi...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #527
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Don't hold back on my account. I'm over it. I say give both a try as rough drafts, and see what works best for you.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #528
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Okeydokey.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #529
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've run into an entirely unexpected snag. I generally compose off the cuff, but I've tried my hand at composing a death scene in advance and I absolutely hate it. I'll admit that it isn't bad, but it isn't right. I can't seem to do the death the justice that it deserves. Any tips? How can I do this better?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #530
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I guess I can't really help until you post it here on the discussion thread.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:44 PM   #531
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Pio: Could you please place this post above Post #102 in the game thread? Thanks!

PLACED ON GAME -- PIO

__________________________startpost

Himaran's post

As he rushed out out onto the winding stairwell, Abarzadan heard the main door to the estate crash open. Crouching, he peered over the railing and watched as heavily armed guards poured into the atrium. The reason for Abadana's disappearance instantly became clear. But what to do? An armour-plated captain shouted orders to his men and they started up the staircase. There was no way to go but up. Keeping his head low, Abarzadan ascended on his belly, scrambling as quickly as his four limbs would carry him. The pounding footsteps behind him grew close, than faded into the study. Not much time. Forgetting any preconcieved notions of stealth, the man threw caution to the wind, stood, and bounded up to the next level.

Betrayed. The whole affair had been a farce, starting with his "unexpected" meeting with Ellinel. She recognized the name, ensnared him with her charm and appearance, and brought him to her father for the slaughter. As the man continued his unconventional escape, he vowed to cheat them again, just as his father had so many years before. Bursting through a nearby door, Abarzadan found himself in a loud, steamy and bustling kitchen. Cooks and porters yelled with surprise as he leaped over a counter and tore threw an array of stoves, kicking and tipping over various barrels and cauldrons in his mad flight. A lone, enraged worker brandishing a knife blocked his exit, but slowing down was no longer an option for the man. He waited until the last possible second before snatching an empty kettle, knocking the implement aside and fleeing from the scene. Slamming the door behind him, Abarzadan jammed it with a nearby stool before turning and finding himself at a dead end.

The window.

Snatching a broom from its customary place on the wall, he smashed the expensive but delicate glass and glanced out. He was two stories above the ground, too far up to jump. Unlike the stories he had often read as a child, there was no tall haywagon conveniently sitting just below him. Shouting behind him, someone shoving on the door.

Then he saw the pipe.

Naturally, any wealthy man's house would have a functional sewer system, and this one was no exception. The waste must run down, so... Careful of the remaining glass, Abarzadan clasped both arms around the thick clay cylinder and pulled his body out with them. Then he started sliding. The stool was knocked aside. Guards swarmed in, found an empty room with a broken window, and looked out. There was no one in sight.

Documents in hand, Abarzadan sprinted down the street. Locals eyed him briefly before sighing, turning and continuing with their business. A tremble sent him tumbling to the earth, but he pulled himself up and hurried unward. Where was he going? Up ahead, the man saw the crown of the temple. Perhaps even now as he hurried towards it, his past companions were being bled or burned to death on one of its pagan alters. There was absolutely no logical reason to head towards it, especially now that he had escaped two deathtraps in the same day. Yet something, a force not dark or sinister, seemed to be drawing him to it. Maybe the Valar wish for me to make a stand. Maybe it is my time.

But Kali, waiting alone in the shadow of the temple, knew better.

_____________________endpost

Well, since LMP stated that as "They turned and began to canter back toward Rómenna when they heard the hard galloping of a single horse," Abarzadan's journey in and return from Armenelos is complete. I will definitely write a closing post, with him meeting (and perhaps lying to) Malabar, but if I find time I will also write one about his ride away from city.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-13-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #532
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I didn't get far before giving it up as a bad job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapped death scene
The guards had reached Romenna some hours before. Khônarű sat beside the unconscious body of Kâthaanî Karibzir with his face in his hands. Though healers, the best of the Faithful, had attended her and checked on her religiously, she seemed to respond to nothing. One stood over her now, an elderly woman with flowing white locks. Kâthaanî's breath was steady, but it was slow. Her face was pale and her hands were cold as ice. She had stopped bleeding, but she had lost much blood in the process. Khônarű dreaded the arrival of Mabalar and his lady. The healer came to him now, touching his shoulder lightly. Wordlessly he stood and followed the small woman from the room.

Her blue eyes shone bright with hidden tears as she spoke to him. He appreciated her stark honesty. Several moments later, he returned to his post. As the hours passed, all signs of life disappeared from her face, leaving an empty shell where before, a lovely lass had lain. He murmered a prayer for her as her breath slowed to a stop. Lightening lit the otherwise dark room for a moment. Somewhere in the distance, a dog howled. Khônarű wept silently as the girl's body was covered by solemn attendants.
It doesn't feel right at all, and I don't know what to do to fix it. If I use it, I want it to be just right, and this isn't, not even in a still-needs-work sort of way, and I don't know why. It's frustrating.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #533
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

All I can do is suggest.

First, you've introduced new characters that we don't know from Hurin. Scrap them and bring in someone whose name and history we recognize. The hands of the king are healing hands: the line of Elendil is royal, and should have been the line through which the crown of Numenor passed, except for a usurpation; so, Elendil could be the attempted healer. We know who he is. If his healing attempt fails, that's greater drama.

Kat needs to speak, needs to have a last moment with her parents, a time to bid farewell and speak of the hope to be reunited beyond the walls of the Arda.

Slow it down. Let it breathe. Give it more space. It feels rushed. Narrated. Told rather than shown. Describe what's happening rather than say it. Use the reader's senses.

What are the emotions behind the tears? You have to try to bring Inzillomi into this, and Mabalar as well. Go ahead and write for Mabalar too. I think you have a good enough idea what he would think and feel and do. Give it a shot. I think you can imagine it and turn into something real. And yes, it may make a change in you to write it, too.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:53 PM   #534
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Scrap them and bring in someone whose name and history we recognize.
Easy enough to do. They were only really meant to show what was up with her on the road. It's tough to post for someone unconscious.

Quote:
so, Elendil could be the attempted healer. We know who he is. If his healing attempt fails, that's greater drama.
Very true, though he's not there. Keep her alive until he arrives?

Quote:
Kat needs to speak, needs to have a last moment with her parents, a time to bid farewell and speak of the hope to be reunited beyond the walls of the Arda.
I agree.

Quote:
Describe what's happening rather than say it. Use the reader's senses.
I needed that.

I've got a few things to think on and then I'll give it a fresh shot.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #535
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've got a post that will need to be put in before Menel's. LMP, I'd appreciate your input on it, so I'll PM it to you later today (sometime either mid-afternoon or late tonight), if that's okay?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #536
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

PM is fine, Fea.

It doesn't have to be Elendil. The alternative is to make the healer someone the reader can emotionally identify with. That's a challenge, but I think you're up to it. Say that maybe they're related, so this healer, as a first cousin, or something, has a vested interest in keeping Kat alive. Or something like that, say.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #537
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Pio, can you place this before Menel's post? LMP will be posting again also in reference to this, and so will I.

POST PLACED ~*~ PIO

-----------------------------

Feanor of the Peredhil's post

Kâthaanî Karibzir was remembering, or was she dreaming? It hurt to breathe and she could not tell. She knew that one candle burned beside her: the dim flickering softly illuminated her eyelids, and she heard the music of hoof beats to accompany the rhythm of the flickering pink before her closed eyes.

It had been a diversion. She and Marsillion had ridden away with faithful Tiru to travel to Armenelos... to be the visible group of rescuers. Kâthaanîhad never dreamt that she or her companions would need rescuing.

Like moths drawn to a soft lantern in the deepest hours of the night, they had been so easily caught by the King's Men. She tried to groan at the thought, but no sound emerged. She could sense that she was not alone, though whoever sat by her made no sound. She could not open her eyes... not yet.

A cell. The cold walls glimmered with dampness in the sparse torchlight. She was chained to the wall, alone but for the rats that moved toward her stealthily as she slept. In her mind she shuddered. They had put Marsillion in another part of the dungeon. Tiru had been taken away with him. Kâthaanî had nothing save the tortured screams of those on the Dark Lord's dreaded altar to sing her sweetly into dream at night.

She was cold. Was it dream or waking? Voices made their way softly to her ears. They soothed her, though she could not understand the words. The cold stone wall chafed her skin as she leaned closer, straining for sound. The voice was unknown to her. Did she only imagine the comforting tone that found its way to her ears? The essence of the message... do not despair... it sang a soft counterpart to the groans of the slowly dying. A dream? she could not tell. Hours had run into days that were interchangeable with seconds. The monotony of darkness was broken only by blinding torchlight that guided doomed men to their fate. She wept at the cruel injustice. She wept for her father, a brave man, a good man, more helpless even then her to stem this slaughter, if only because he had had the longer understanding of it. She wept for the malice in the eyes of the guards that brought her meals, denying her even the smallest word of hope or sunlight. She prayed to the Valar for their redemption, though she never spoke.

It hurt. A sharp pain in her chest, just below her ribs. She was wounded. Inexplicable warmth flooded the area with pain as memories sought to repress reality. A hand took hers none too gently. Her chains unfastened from the wall, she was pulled from her cell and ordered to stand. She tried and fell, her muscles screaming in protest. Kâthaanî was dragged through the halls of the dungeons as she tried in vain to block the vicious light from her eyes.

She was thrown to the steps of the altar and she lay there until pulled and held to standing. Only then did Kâthaanî take in the sight: Marsillion stood bound, his eyes red and swollen, Tiru beside him. Abârpânarú stood, his shoulders stooped, his expression bereft of hope. Kâthaanî's heart stirred. She had failed her father. Her own impetuosity had betrayed her. Now, not only would her father die, but he would be forced to watch his beloved daughter tortured to death before it. Tears stained Kâthaanî's cheeks as she silently whispered "I am sorry" to ears that could not hear.

While on the journey, Kâthaanî had acted rashly... as a child. She had forced herself upon this mission with little right, and what had she to show for it? She had not saved her father... simply caused him more heartache. He would willingly die to save her... she had never so fully understood the implications of this until now... now, when death loomed near. Would they die fast? She could only hope that Abârpânarú would die first, though it pained her to think it, to be spared the tragedy of the ending of his daughter's life.

Was it ending now? She could not move. As a child, Kâthaanî had fallen from a horse, bruising her head. The feeling had been the same then, twining as a cat through now and then. It had only taken the voice of her father to tie her to reality. She wished he was here. She had seen him fall. Her mother had come. These moments melted together until she wondered how she had come to be riding double with Inzillomě. A strong arm had pulled her from the saddle and she rolled to her feet, knife in hand. As her mother looked on in horror, Kâthaanî had tried and failed to prevail once more. She fell to the ground with a scream as unforgiving metal pierced her flesh. It hurt like nothing that she had ever felt, unpityingly reminiscent of the harsh, bone-chilling ache that had once descended upon her after falling through ice... only worse... much worse. She could feel the chill radiating from the wound; it spread through her without boundary and with immediate effect: she lay frozen in fear. The candle flickered, going out. Voices sounded. Kâthaanî lay bleeding and her last thoughts were of her mother: her father had been saved from his daughter's death only for the witnessing to be given to Inzillomi. The world faded from memory.

"Kâthaanî." spoke a voice. "Kâthaanî, hold on." It was her father. He had helped her to safety when Izri came.

"Kâthaanî, speak to me." His voice was charged with worry. Why did the ground shake like this? Why did her dreams lie? Abârpânarú had not ordered her to speak in Armenelos.

"My Cerveth, my love, I am here." A hand took hers. Kâthaanî clasped Izri's reins.

Inzillomě looked at her husband in fear as she held her daughter’s icy hand within her warm ones. On their arrival to Romenna, the guard in charge of Kâthaanî had reported that her condition was worsening. Her breathing had slowed, her face was white. Her wound no longer bled, but the healers, not Elendil in the least, believed the offending sword to have been tipped with poison. She lay now unaware of the world... or so it seemed to her parents.

---------------------------------

Many thanks, littlemanpoet.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-15-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #538
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Silmaril

Pio, could you please place this post in post # 109, in between Feanor's and Meneltarmacil's? Thanks!

POST PLACED ~*~ Pio

Mabalar knelt by Lothlômé, watching Cerveth intently as their daughter's life slipped away. They were safe in the hold of Elendil's ship, already moving ahead of a strong wind, which was gaining strength with each minute that passed. The roar of the wind and surf grew louder outside, but did not drown out the sound of Cerveth's shallow breathing, nor the sound of Mabalar's own beating pulse in his ears.

"Cerveth!" Lotha called. Mabalar took up the call, holding his wife's warm hand in his left, and his daughter's cold, cold hand in his right, completing the circle the three of them made.

If sheer will were enough to bring her back, she would be whole and laughing with them this moment. But there was nothing he could do.

Elendil had seen to the binding of her wound, and had spoken gravely of poison. He had tried to prepare them for the worst.

Mabalar was not prepared. "Cerveth! My dear! Stay with us!"

Tears stained Lotha's face. His eyes were painfully hot and dry. He refused to let his daughter die.

"Cerveth!"

She was so pale. Her breaths came shallow and ragged, and too few. Mabalar's heart beat heavy doom in his breast; but he refused to accept what his heart told him.

"No!" He dropped his wife's and daughter's hands, rising. "This was not meant to be!" He stood rigid, his hands fisted, the muscles in his legs knotted, his stance wide against the movement of the ship. He looked westward. "Mandos!" he yelled. "Take me instead!" Anything to save his precious Cerveth. "Let me have the sword thrust and the poison! Spare her!"

But Mandos gave him no sudden wound, no exchange of place or pain, no vision; not even a sound.

Mabalar fell to his knees again, and looked again at Lotha's anguished face.

His throat clenched on his words as he murmured, "I do not want to lose her," and he wept. For long moments, husband and wife hung upon each other, their shared grief their only comfort.

"Mama! Papa!" The voice came to their ears barely above a whisper, using their names from her childhood.

"Cerveth!" They knelt again by her side, hoping against hope that she was reviving.

Well, Feanor, definitely not easy to write, but worth it to at least try, no?

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-23-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:40 AM   #539
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll be out of town and won't be posting here until Sunday afternoon at least due to Thanksgiving. Just thought you should know.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #540
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Well, Feanor, definitely not easy to write, but worth it to at least try, no?
A learning experience I never expected to have. I'll get to work on the last of it. Do you want me to leave you an opening for the last word?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #541
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
A learning experience I never expected to have. I'll get to work on the last of it. Do you want me to leave you an opening for the last word?
As you like. I'm sure I'll find something to say yet before the end, whatever you do. For one thing, I'm interested in a confrontation between Elendil and Herugor, and then a final post "some time later" on the shores of Middle Earth. Oh, and somewhere before that, the Great Cataclysm has to be described from the pov of at least one character.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #542
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Oh, and somewhere before that, the Great Cataclysm has to be described from the pov of at least one character.
Ick. Somebody else can have that one. It's quite enough mental anguish to get yourself in a position to decently compose a compelling death without having to destroy an island in the process. [img]ubb/tongue.gif[/img] Can't wait to see what happens with Elendil though.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #543
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

I can do the Great Cataclysm post. I'll put it up after Fea's post regarding Kathaani. I also will incorperate an Azarmano reuniting with his family on board the ships thing.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:38 PM   #544
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Arg! School is bogging me down. I would really like to write a post about Abar meeting Malabar and... explaining their relationship. That, and a final post about Abar's feelings regarding his father, the journey and the plot to kill his family. All coming soon!

... gone but not forgotten...

- Him
Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #545
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himaran
Arg! School is bogging me down. I would really like to write a post about Abar meeting Malabar and... explaining their relationship. That, and a final post about Abar's feelings regarding his father, the journey and the plot to kill his family. All coming soon!

... gone but not forgotten...

- Him
Looking forward to it.

And a special thanks to Pio for graciously and patiently waiting for the winding down of this rpg.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #546
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
And a special thanks to Pio for graciously and patiently waiting for the winding down of this rpg.
Indeed. M'lady Pio, you're a wonder. And this game has certainly been an adventure, not least now, here at the end of all things.

Him, I look forward to the conclusion of your story. Yours too, Regin.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #547
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Pio: can you please place this post above Post #106 in the game thread? Thanks!

- Himaran

POST PLACED ~*~ Pio

STARTPOST_______________________________________

It was terrifying.

The island was tearing itself apart. The earth shifted and bucked underneath Kali's legs as the steed gallaped away from Armenelos with Abarzadan clinging to his mane. Trees were hurled from the ground as their very roots were disloged from the rocky turf. Newly formed gysers burst open and streams of water shot upward into the air. The wind had increased to a violent speed, throwing leaves, branches and small stones all about. And everywhere, water was rising. The earth itself had become almost sponge-like, completely saturated. Streams had become ponds, and ponds had turned into lakes. There was no longer a path; Kali was running on pure instinct, and the man could do nothing but hold on and hope. A tree crashed to the ground ten paces from them, but the horse was ready and leaped over it, never breaking stride. A branch broke of a nearby tree and slammed into Abarzadan's head, but through sheer force of will he kept his balance. Heavy rain added to his misery, pelting the sizable wound. Blood mixed with water trickled down his forhead, imparing his vision. The man was utterly helpless, at the mercy of his mount and the elements.

Then an arrow whistled by his head, thudding into a nearby tree. Wipping his face, Abarzadan strained his neck around and could make out the shapes of several riders trailing him. They must have been following him since he and Kali hurtled through the city's east gate, although at the time it had appeared that their escape had been complete. The man grimaced. He had no weapons, was wounded, and had no idea how far away the shore was, or if the Faithful were even still there. He would have to use the only tool available to him: his horse. Taking a firmer grip, he directly Kali to he the right, dodging trees, boulders and other unexpected obstacles. He waited until they were over the next rise, took a backward glance, wispered an elvish phrase into the steed's ear, and dove off of his mount. On all fours, he crawled behinds a bush and waited. Kali's hoofbeats disappeared in the distance. By the sounds, their were four riders, and three of them continued onward. One, however, slowed, stopped, and turned around.

Abarzadan waited, holding his breath.

The rider's horse sniffed and whinnied, and its master said something to it in reply. Heavy steps came closer, stopping in front of the large bush. A string tightened. The man winced in dreaded anticipation. The string twanged, and an arrow burried itself in the ground and inch from his leg. Apparently satisfied, the soldier turned his horse away and trotted in the opposite direction. This, however, was not an opportunity Abarzadan was going to miss. He rolled out from behind the bush, dashed toward his unexpecting opponent, and dove towards him. The two collided and collapsed off of the horse. Brandishing the arrow he had plucked from the turf, the last remaining member of the House of Batanzaira plunged it into the neck of the stunned Numenorean. Snatching his bow and quiver, Abarzadan climbed onto the obediant horse. The pair raced away from the scene, heading in the direction Kali and the others had taken.

~*~

It was not long before they were located. Abarzadan slowed his mount and hopped off, readying his bow. Ahead, three men and four horses were gathered, one of which was being admired by its new masters. Kali stopped! The realization struck him with horror. What if he missed, and hit Kali instead? He need a diverstion. Turning to his waiting horse, he gave it a little shove in their direction and barked an order. Snorting, it trotted away from him and towards the others. Abarzadan circled around to a better angle, moving from tree to tree. The ground squished and his boots filled with water, but he kept moving. In the clearing, the three men turned away from Kali and looked the other horse over. Time was running out.

The man took careful aim, exhaled, and sent a shaft whistling towards his targets, and it hit one in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Now Abarzadan was running, notching another arrow. He released it in full stride, watching with satisfaction as it came to rest in the head of the second enemy. Now too close for ranged combat, he dropped the bow and pulled the quiver off of his back, swinging it by the strap. The final soldier backed away, sword at ready. The pair circled one another, with Abarzadan keeping the quiver spinning at full speed. "So it has come to this, my friend," shouted Abarzadan over the rushing wind. "Numenoreans killing each other over a senseless disagreement."

The other merely grimaced. "You are a heretic, like all the others. You should have died at the temple with the rest." Kali punctuated his statement, drilling the unsuspecting man to the ground with a swift kick from his front hooves. Abarzadan chuckled. "A pity you couldn't be back at Armenelos. I am certain that the sight of your great temple crumbling to the ground would be an unforgettable one." Leaving the stunned soldier to decide his own fate, the man tossed the quiver away and climbed onto Kali's waiting back. As they got further from the center of the island, the storm gradually melted away, but the man knew it would not be long before the entire landmass would share the same fate. Suddenly, the pair burst from the forest. They were on a grassy hill looking down on the coast. The man whooped with joy, for the ships of the Faithful were still ancored in the bay.

_______________ENDPOST

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-08-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #548
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Despite my finals looming in the horizon (next week), or perhaps because of them, I have finally find time to fill in my long overdue save. At the end of the post the ships are getting ready to sail, but have not actually sailed yet. I assume that this is the state that we are in at the moment. If not, please tell me, and I will edit my post. If there is anything else that needs to be fixed please don't hesitate to ask. I got a little carried away. It has been a true pleasure working on a game with such a talented group of writers. Thank you all.

- Regin
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #549
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just checking in --

and wondering, what posts are left to be written for the game? Are most of the final posts in now? Will someone be doing a wrap-up?

~*~ Pio
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #550
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

*looks guilty*

I'm still [attempting to be] working on Kath's death. It's harder than I ever expected and I half want to write in a miracle where suddenly she's all better, the end.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #551
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

. . . where's movie Arwen and her Grace-of-the Valar transfer when you need her!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #552
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
. . . where's movie Arwen and her Grace-of-the Valar transfer when you need her!
You've actually just given me a decent idea for ATM. However it still leaves me in a rut for PoN.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #553
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Hey Pio, can you post this up? Sorry to be so concise but my parents decided against having the internet at my house so I have zilch access unless I'm away from home (which I currently am) for my entire bleedin' break. I'll be back on regularly after the second weekend of January. LMP's going to take over what's left of the Kath situation. Thanks for everybody's understanding and helpfulness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED TO THE GAME ~*~ Pio

Feanor of the Peredhil's post

Images raced through her mind chaotically: lightening struck a tree and it burst into flame; black sky; crows perched in wait on dead branches as the party road swiftly from Armenelos; freezing rain tearing through softly churned mud, and hoofbeats sounding as a voice cried to the Valar for mercy.

Torn from dream, Kathaani responded hesitantly, first trying and failing to move. Grimacing against her frozen numbness, Kathaani shifted her head slightly and opened her eyes: Lothlome knelt weeping on the cold wooden floor. Mabalar stood, unreachable in his grief, with arms raised to the heavens. Kathaani choked back a sob. Once again, her father's voice had called to her through the mists of pain, chasing away the weakness that threatened to over-power her. She longed to be a child again... to hear his assurances and to truly believe that in a short while, everything would be fine. Kathaani took a breath and was dismayed to feel her lungs expand but a little, and that with effort. She marveled: she could no longer feel her wound... only the tightly bound bandaging keeping the blood where it belonged. Where had the pain gone? It had been excruciating... all of her consciousness was tied to it and now it was gone, replaced by nothingness... not warmth or cold; no memory of feeling. Simple existence. Had she not remembered so vividly... had she not felt the tightness of the bound cotton... she would have thought it all a dream. She took another small breath, feeling the bindings expand.... no... she thought... it was not the bandages that compromised her breathing. She swallowed nervously, trying once more. Her body shook slightly with the effort of inhaling. It felt as the the air did not reach further than her breastbone, lodging there and denying Kathaani the simple relief of full lungs. She closed her eyes, squeezing them shut against what she guessed was happening.

"Mama... papa...?" she spoke hesitantly. Her voice was faint, not at all reminiscent of the strong tones she had so often adopted. The words were aspirated, a full breath necessary for each. She set her jaw stubbornly against the tears that strayed but a short distance from her eyes.

Mabalar and Lothlome started and looked to their daughter, frightened to hope, fearful not to. She smiled slightly for a brief moment before closing her eyes to concentrate on breathing freely. Softly... softly... she spoke to herself silently; promising that what she could foresee would not come to pass. She could feel it deep within her chest... she wanted to vomit at the horror of the sensation but sheer will now kept her in place. She felt her hands enveloped by those of her parents. I can not... I will not...

"Papa..." she began. She choked, chest convulsing slightly. Her father swept her into his arms and she heaved several times, each time denying her broken body its will. Exhausted, Kathaani sank against her father limply, holding her breath against the cough that lay in wait.

"Just breathe, my sweet... take your time and breathe..." murmured Lothlome as she smoothed a stray lock away from Kathaani's face. Mabalar still held her close, much as he had all those years before when his crying little girl required strong arms to hold her and let her feel safe and a soothing voice to calm her. Breathing shakily, she turned slightly to better fit against the contours of his arms, laying her head against his chest.

Mabalar kissed Kathaani's hair, murmuring to her. "Inzi's safe, my dove, they're all safe. You did it."

She looked up at his face, cherishing the warmth of her mother’s hands as they held hers, softly rubbing them with her thumbs. She began to cry, shaking her head. "No..." she whispered, "it wasn't me... none of it... it wasn't me."

"Of course it was my darling." he whispered to her. "You initiated the mission... yes, shh..." he held her closer as Lothlome sat beside them. She wiped away her daughter's tears with gentle hands as he continued. "Yes... they told me everything, love. It was you who told them of my capture. It was you who rode to rescue me. It was you who were imprisoned on my behalf. And it was you who escaped."

Kathaani wept more softly now. "But papa... I didn't... they were safer without me..."

Lothlome spoke now. "My Cerveth.... my love, do you underestimate me? Would I have sent you if I thought you were a danger to the mission? My love… it was so important that you ride to save your father… and look before you… you did."

Tears now came to Lothlome as well and her voice cracked into silence. Kathaani coughed violently now, spitting up blood. Mabalar held her close as Lothlome calmly wiped away the mess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

Fea --

Relax, enjoy your internetless state!

*Hello . . . my name is Piosenniel . . . and I'm an BD RPG addict. It's been several minutes since I last clicked through the Shire offerings . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-17-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #554
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Quote:
and wondering, what posts are left to be written for the game? Are most of the final posts in now? Will someone be doing a wrap-up?
Well, my last post got Abar back to the ships. If there's time, I will write one more to finish his story.

- Himaran
Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #555
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Himaran

Well, there's time on this side of the game . . . I'll just leave it open until you can get your last post in.

~*~ Pio
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #556
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've done the closing post - - - for me. If anybody has anything they'd like to squeeze in between Feanor's last post, and mine, feel free. I'd say that if nothing's been added by January 10, Pio, you can consider this rpg concluded.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #557
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Pio: Could you please place this post above post 112 (the very last one) in the game thread? Thanks!

POST PLACED ~*~ PIO

________________________Startpost

Himaran's post

The streets of the city by the shore were all but deserted. Most of the inhabitants of the faithful's haven were already getting situated on the ships. Abârzadan hurried down the street, finally reaching his mansion. Having misplaced the gate key at some point on his adventure, he climbed over the iron fence and hopped down into the yard. When he reached the front door, the man took hold of the knob, turned it slightly to the right, then to the left, than back again. It creaked open, allowing him to enter. Hurrying about the house, Abârzadan gathered a few clothes, most of his weapons, and the most precious artifacts and heirlooms. In the new world he was headed for, Numenorean currency would have little or no value. Then he proceeded to his study and gathered everything he could find that was related to Numenor; its history and culture specifically. The island would soon be destroyed, but he did not want all memory of it to be lost. Then he noticed the swords and star of his house. The House of Batânzâira.

Suddenly the events in Armenelos made perfect sense. Abârzadan thought back to the voting record. The House of Batânzâira had hindered the King's movements at every turn. It stood for freedom and justice, not power and control. That was why it had been persecuted and killed off - all except for himself and his father. Perhaps until his very dying day, Abâranâ had not wanted to even tell his son the truth, for fear that he might try and avenge his house and be killed in the process. But as the disease at last took hold of him, he decided that he had to give his son a chance to discover the truth about the destruction of Batânzâira. And that was exactly what he had done. He had completed his father's last request, and freed himself from its curse. Assaulted by visions of the past too painful to bear, the man collected his things and proceeded to the entrance. Shutting the door firmly behind him, Abârzadan found his cart, loaded it with his packages, and pushed it up to the gate. Unlocking it, he tossed the spare key into the yard and left the manor once and for all.

His companions had been pleased to see him, although Abârzadan did indeed wonder if they weren't just glad that he had returned Kali safely. They were all distracted at the moment, for Kâthaanî He was given comfortable quarters on the flagship, and found enough room to store all the literature he had brought. Roaming the deck, he watched as the storm covering the island worsened. Horns sounded. The ships began to move off. Everything that he knew and loved was getting further and further away. But then a thought struck him. He had survived, and with him, the House of Batânzâira.

A man approached him. He looked tired and distraught, but still noble. "Are you the one they call Abârzadan? The others tell me that you played a part in my rescue. For that I am grateful."

"It was my honor, sir."

"Pardon me for asking, Turmeawa, but how is it that you know me?"

Here Abârzadan merely smiled. "Ah, perhaps you have forgotten. I used to buy horses from you..."

And thus is the story of Abârzadan Batânzâira. His is different from the others in this tale, for he had a personal journey far more important than that of saving a man he never knew. Abârzadan helped with the construction of what would later be known as Minas Tirith, where he settled down and married another survivor of Numernor. His bloodline, and the House of Batânzâira, would eventually spread throughout all of Gondor. At the end of all things, the swords and star survived.

_____________________Endpost

Wow. I can't even remember when we started this game. Must have been in the spring, or maybe even late winter. A long time ago. Still it was worth it. This rpg was awesome! I think we told a great story, one that not only fits in with but actually supplements Tolkein's history.

Great job, everyone. I look forward to seeing you all again in other games. Now, time for that break I promised myself 9 months ago...

The Happiest Barrowdowner

- Himaran

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-02-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #558
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

Absolutely lovely game everyone! It was a pleasure to read along as it unfolded.

As lmp said - if anyone has a bit more they'd like to put on the game - just place it here and I'll transfer it for you.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to you all!

~*~ Pio
Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #559
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Done... what? Wait... no... it can't be... My first RPG finished?

My thanks to you all for a game well played and a great experience. Thanks Pio for all of your help.

My thanks most especially to LMP for such help as I couldn't have succeeded such as I did without.

And though she may not read this, my thanks to Bęthberry without whom I'd never have been in this game at all. This game has affected me more than is probably apparent. I bow to you... or at least curtsy and smile prettily.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #560
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

-------- FINIS --------

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~