The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Scenes with Chutzpa!!

So many scenes in the LOTR movies made me want to just get up and fight!! They were so full of passion and vigor I just wanted to watch them over and over. The scenes were just so well written and the actors were just right on the money. What scenes fron the movies did you BD'ers feel were filled with extra amounts of chutzpa!?

Last edited by ninlaith; 12-12-2004 at 09:21 AM.
ninlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I know what you mean. And I will watch these scenes over and over. One of my favorite actors is Bernard Hill, and he did a wonderful job as Theoden. His scenes, at Helm's Deep and pelennor got me going.

Theoden: "Yes...Yes...The horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the deep. One last time. (To Aragorn) Let this be the hour, when we draw swords together. (To everyone) Foul deeds awake! Now for wrath! Now for Ruin! And the red dawn!"

(Theoden, after driving off the orcs from Minas Tirith).
Theoden: We saved the City!" (spots the Haradrim, has that "Oh s**t" look on his face.) "Reform the lines! Reform the lines! Sound the charge, take them head on! Charge!"

Eventhough these two scenes didn't deal with fighting they got me thinking about fighting. I like when the Rohirrim leave for Dunharrow and Eomer's little speech.
Eomer: "Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken. Now fulfill them all to lord and land."

And Boromir's as he is in Lothlorien.
Boromir: "I will find no rest here. I heard a voice in my head. It spoke of the fall of Gondor. It said even now there is hope left, but I can not see it. It has been long since we've had any hope. My father is a noble man, (plays uplifting music) but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right, I would do it, I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it Aragorn the White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. It's banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home, by the clearing of the silver trumpets!"

Aragorn: "I have been to the White City, long ago."

Boromir: "One day, our paths will lead us there, and the tower Guard shall take up the call, The Lords of Gondor have returned."

I also like Boromir's speech in Osgiliath in TTT EE. However I've only seen that once, and I don't have the DVD, so I forget how it goes. I just remember, "For Gondor!" and (to Faramir) "that leaves more time for drinking."
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
White Tree

Oh gosh, where do I begin?!

I`ll just go with one of my favorite scenes, where orcs are beginning to cross the river at Osgiliath (the one where the Nazgul attack and they are forced to retreat). I almost die every time Faramir springs out of hiding, and starts wacking at orcs like his life depends on it (because really, it does). I love how even though he dosen`t really believe in himself, and thinks he will never amount to what Boromir was, but still keeps going. Yay for Faramir! *huggles
Old 12-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

The scene that makes me 'get up', so to speak, is during Helm's Deep. Gimli has just taken the fall to save Aragorn but he's on his own against all these Orcs for a minute. Then 'Gorn summons the troops, points Anduril (ahem ) and just screams and charges. The camerawork was good. It's really exciting.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
A scene that made me want to get up and fight was when Faramir was riding towards Osgiliath when Denethor sent him....it's so sad...but it makes me wish that I could be that brave...

And, as Boromir88 said, the scene with Theoden at Helms Deep at the very end...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 PM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm with Imladris... that scene brought tears to my usually dry eyes. I also love Boromir's death scene, very emotional as well.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I always get an adrenaline rush screaming "DEATH!!!" along with the Rohirrim.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
ninlaith
Wight

It's always great when you read other peoples posts and you get chills...That's usually a good sign

For me..any scene with Eowyn. Miranda Otto is such a wonderful actress

Aragorn: What do you fear my lady?
Eowyn: A cage..to stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. When all sense of valor has gone beyond all recall or desire.

And of course the give in..
Eowyn: I am no man!!!

Also the scene in the EE of TTT when Eowyn is singing at Theodred's burial

All scenes with Grima and Eomer

Grima: Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind? Can you not see? He is wearied by you..malcontent...your war-mongering!
Eomer: War-mongering? How long ago was it when Saruman bought you!? What was the promised price Grima? When all the men are dead you take your share of the treasure!? Too long have you watch my sister...too long have you haunted her steps!!

Oh! Scenes with Sam. Sean Astin is an inspiration.

Sam: I made a promise Mr Frodo! A promise! Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee! And i don't mean to! I don't mean to.

Sam: I may not be able to carry the ring, but I can carry you!!

That's all for now. I'll warrant there will be more later.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

I love the scenes between Theoden and Eowyn (and they really get good in ROTK). Since Eomund was dead, I always thought of Eowyn and Theoden having a close relationship, and the movies really brought that out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
I never reallly got that feeling before. Normally I'm like a normal person and I'm just sitting lazily in my theatre seat.

UNTILL......

The battle at the gates of Mordor in RotK. When Aragon's doing his speach and the gates are opening, the music is glorious, and Sam and Frodo are on the slopes of Mount Doom. All of that just stirs your emotions so that by the time Aragorn says "for Frodo" the only thing stopping me from getting up and following the charge is I'm afraid of getting kicked out of the theatre.

To me that is my favorite scene. Viggo has so much charisma and the fact that the hobbits are the first to follow give it heart.

can't wait to watch it a home.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #11
ninlaith
Wight

Ohhh!! I feel the same exact way about that part Rose. That one is absolutely wonderful. I especially love the fact that the Hobbits ran out screaming first. That part was great. There are so many in ROTK!

Aragorn: My friends! You bow to no one!!

Then the part where Barad-dur starts to crumble. The theatre I was in gave a standing ovation to that part. It was truly a magical experience.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:19 AM   #12
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Quote:
To me that is my favorite scene. Viggo has so much charisma and the fact that the hobbits are the first to follow give it heart.
It is a trully wonderful scene. I love it, you have Aragorn running out, and all these tall men standing behind, next thing you see Merry and Pip running right behind Aragorn.

Quote:
Then the part where Barad-dur starts to crumble. The theatre I was in gave a standing ovation to that part. It was truly a magical experience.
Same thing happened at my theatre. That part definately made up for the fangirls counting along with Legolas as he takes down the Mumakil. :sigh:
Quote:
Legolas: 46, 47, 48
Fangirls: (counting along) 46, 47, 48, (Legolas stops counting, but the girls continue) 49..50
:another sigh: