Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #561
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This is my first chance in days to spend any real time at the Downs. Anybody else want to post to this rpg?

Ædegard has had a change of heart and is now bent on rescuing Mellondu from the blizzard, and will insist that Leafa remain with Saethryd. What will she do?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #562
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Hi. I can't believe it's Friday. *counting down until my first real break at the end of next week*

I'm up for some Indil/Raefindan exchange, but otherwise incapable of making my brain work. What did you have in mind?
Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #563
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tharonwë has become, in spite of himself, addicted to looking in others' minds. He can't help himself anymore. So he sees Roy's dream, and what seems completely wrong to him is that Nimrodel barely registers on Roy's mind. That Roy is completely taken up with Mithrellas and this other girl whom Tharonwe simply cannot place, is nothing short of a complete surprise. So he has piles of questions, and asks them of Indil because Raefindan is sick with pneumonia again and is not thinking clearly. Want me to start?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #564
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice, deft post, Fea. No more fear. I like how you took what Angela portrayed from the vale and applied it to Indil. Classy subtle. And she's still the little girl who asks the obvious question. I ought to let someone else post, to bring some other characters along.

Formy? Helen?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #565
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Nice, deft post, Fea. No more fear. I like how you took what Angela portrayed from the vale and applied it to Indil. Classy subtle. And she's still the little girl who asks the obvious question. I ought to let someone else post, to bring some other characters along.

Formy? Helen?
Unless you have a specific direction to point me in, best not look at me... 'tis crunch time with term papers coming due, and I have no muse at the moment.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #566
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Hey, my husband is on retreat this weekend so I will actually be able to log in...

Promoted to PI this year, Thought I was going to be in charge of one project, turns out I am in charge of (roughly) four-- HELP ME-- can't log on to the DOWNS at work, either. Can't log on at home.

Could somebody send me the latest set of posts in an email to my work afddress, maybe?

Further discussion later-- must run-- will try to catch up and post sometime tonight or tomorrow-- sorry to have disappeared

--Helen
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM   #567
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll see what I can do when I get home. I also sort of left this thing hanging, forgetting that it could be my turn to post. Tonight.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #568
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Obviously my last needs editing-- but how many horses do we have?> Is everyone who is leaving, mounted? And since Aedegard is cmoing, I'm assuming Leafa is coming, so Bella will, and therefore Nethwador... No? Somebody let me know otherwise &I'll split the party a bit.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #569
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hmm- maybe I can set email notifications to digest form and have it forwarded to my work address?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #570
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

That's a good idea. Sorry I never got around to getting back to Barrowdowns after Friday noon. Let the whole group go, since they all have natural motivation of one kind or another. I'm finding that now that the story has taken on a bit more life, these npc's are not so hard anymore to carry along.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #571
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I'm finding that now that the story has taken on a bit more life, these npc's are not so hard anymore to carry along.
I'd had the thought that if we got rid of all of our spare 'baggage,' knowing us and the nature of story, by the time we were through we were going to have come up with a bunch of replacement characters anyhow. Side characters just add dimension. End of story. (Or more like middle?)
Old 11-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #572
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I know the save I posted said I wouldn't fill it until tomorrow. Turns out I was wrong.

And yep. I'm aware it's a very short post.

But irresistable.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #573
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

You sneak! You capacious wit! You capricious whim!

It's completely unexpected and all I need to continue.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #574
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I do regret to say it, but I've finally reconciled myself to the fact that I simply don't have the time to write for the RPG... alas, not even for Liornung. I've tried again and again to make space in the day, but something always comes up, and at this point I'll be doing no more than holding the game up.

Any chance that Liornung can tag along with the departing group? I've been trying to figure out some feasible way of getting him back, considering that he made a rather dramatic speech about how he had to go on.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #575
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Nuru-- I can relate.

I'm not sure whether any group is departing at the moment... maybe they'll rescue Mellondu first and then depart... I dunno.

We'll see you around, though? I mean, feel free to drop by and cheer us on even if you can't write?

lmp-- whoa. Wow.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #576
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, Helen.

Anybody going to post anything before Roy's next action?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #577
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Anybody going to post anything before Roy's next action?
I wouldn't post anything, really, beyond something like "Indil was mad confused by being called an Angela again and had no clue what was going on, but was glad Raefindan was there to keep her safe again."

If you wanted to include that sort of sentiment in a post on my behalf, it would probably save bandwidth or something I don't much understand...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #578
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Humph.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #579
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm sorry I'm not very helpful right now.

It just doesn't feel right for me to post anything lengthy when, at least at the moment, my character is small, helpless, basically unaware, and glad that the man she thinks is her salvation has come to rescue her.

Hold on...

I just had a post idea.

I'll post a save and fill it tomorrow afternoon. Ish-late tomorrow afternoon since I have classes and meetings until five, but tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #580
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, I was overtired last night and let my grumpiness seep into my posts.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #581
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Sorry, I was overtired last night and let my grumpiness seep into my posts.
*offers a hug and a cup of tea*

Don't worry about it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #582
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Save filled.

Enter angst?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #583
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Roy loves Indil.

I will need a little bit of time to mull my next post.....
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #584
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hello? Hello? Hu-leeeewwww?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #585
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sorry!

Finals week ate me.

But I'm on break for the next three weeks with a brilliant lack of anything to do.

I'm not sure what comes next though.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #586
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

what comes next

1. word from mark12_30
2. The group at the base of the mountains pushes through the increasing layers of snow the farther up they go, trying to make a best guess which way the others went; which although perhaps tricky, is reduced to only one possible way towards the top, as it is a pass high in the mountains.
3. The rear and middle groups meet up where Roy left them.
4. The now unified rear group chases after Tharonwe, Roy, and Indil.
5. ???

While the rear bunch are catching up, Indil, Roy and Tharonwe continue to dream, playl mind games, and face off against each other in whatever shape things take.

Do they catch up? Does Roy succeed in holding Tharonwe from getting any farther? How does he "defeat the enemy"?

My sense is that the culmination of all these events occurs in this vale we keep writing about in dreams, where there is no pitched battle of arms, but one of wills and words and deeds and consequences of actions.

What do you think?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #587
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
My sense is that the culmination of all these events occurs in this vale we keep writing about in dreams, where there is no pitched battle of arms, but one of wills and words and deeds and consequences of actions.

What do you think?
I happen to think that the vale is the exact critical location for the climax, otherwise it doesn't make much sense for it to have continuously cropped up.

And I think a battle of words is always fun, a battle of wills is always a challenge to write. For the deeds, are they past deeds or are they non-battle action deeds which will lead to consequences (or are the consequences those of actions we've already written)?

I had an interesting idea.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #588
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
For the deeds, are they past deeds or are they non-battle action deeds which will lead to consequences (or are the consequences those of actions we've already written)?

I had an interesting idea.
I don't care to specify. Let's see what the muse produces, eh? Maybe it'll be an interesting mix of all of the above, though I doubt there will be much in terms of battle action.

What's your idea?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #589
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I posted it, basically, on the story thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 AM   #590
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hail.... and sleet and snow.

Big climax happens in the vale? I'm good with that as long as the vale is very very near the ocean....

I'm a bit puzzled about the timing-- is the (now unified) pursuing group very near catching Tharonwe? Or should we catch up to them as Tharonwe & co finds the vale? I guess it's time to locate the vale geographically. (fuzzy memory-- have we already done that or...?)

EDIT OK; reread the above list; keyword there is "chase".... OK. IT' will be good to have the groups unified again.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #591
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Glad to have you back again, Helen.

What a flippin' crazy story this has been, and almost completely because while I was de facto leader, I totally goofed up the geography, and we're dealing with the results of that.

What did we establish? That we entered the mountains between the 2nd and 3rd beacon hills? If so, we come out of the White Mountains above the sources of the River Gilraen. Did we talk about that before?

Or were we supposed to be near Erech?

Either way, we're not that close to the great water. In either case it's about a day's boat ride downstream to the Bay of Belfalas.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM   #592
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

'K, I posted Indil's game, though not entirely how I originally intended. This can be taken any way you deem interesting.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #593
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm interested in taking this in at least two ways at once: as an imaginative game of "what does Indil want", or of "does Indil have second sight?", and perhaps something else too.

I like how this can work as a means of narrating the rescue attempt, and how the others find Indil and Raefindan. I like this! Quite an imaginative trick, there.

I'll try to find time to post soon.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #594
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I like how this can work as a means of narrating the rescue attempt, and how the others find Indil and Raefindan. I like this! Quite an imaginative trick, there.

I'll try to find time to post soon.
I originally meant for Indil to teach Raefindan a song and a game her mother had taught her, and through it to reveal to herself that her mother has died.

Except I started writing and realized it simply didn't work (and I had no mind for song writing), and that I don't want Indil to know about her past. At least not yet.

It's as if a barrier rose the second her parents died and sealed her past away from her. As if she's always been under the protection of our group. She has absolutely no awareness beyond bad dreams that terrible things have happened to her.

So I needed a plausible game for any small child to play, regardless of who taught it to them. This rock is going to be this, and that rock is going to be that, and they're going to interact.

Anything we write as being surreal about it will be as apparent to her as the abnormality of conversing with dead people and distant Elves: she won't think a thing of it. It's my favorite aspect of childhood: the ability to believe and to imagine, the complete lack of awareness that something might not be what it is. The innocence of it. Indil is who or what she is, and is blissfully ignorant that she might indeed be very special.

In any case... the key point, now that I've rambled, is that I like the idea of narrating the others through Indil's game, provided nobody minds... It provides me the bliss or writing a small child's clarity and the imaginative freeplay of writing the supernatural in a very matter of fact manner. And it's convenient...
Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #595
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The only way I can think to make this work is to do a PM post, because it requires a constant back and forth conversation, at least the way I'm thinking of it. If you can think of another way, please inspire me by telling it to me. In the meantime, I'll start a PM post.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #596
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

PM post is fine with me.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #597
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

PM co-post is up.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #598
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, it has been a useful break from this pursuit, but I wouldn't mind getting back to it. Is there anybody else interested in bringing this along?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #599
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Well, it has been a useful break from this pursuit, but I wouldn't mind getting back to it. Is there anybody else interested in bringing this along?
I'm here and rather apologetic about how little self-motivation I seem to be having just now. It's more that school started again and I was testing out new classes (four are pleasant, two are not) and seeing what my schedule/time is like (conducive to projects).

I'm thinking about the story. The storm's over and the Elf/man/girl are moving on. The others aren't so terribly far behind them. But I'm loathe to follow them all step by step through the mountains, across the desert, to the canyon of the crescent moo-- I mean... Is it possible that we could summarize (artistically, obviously) and shift our various companies to a next key place or event? I find myself thinking that a change of scenery (quite literally) might spark up a bit more paced enthusiasm.

And if it's just the two of us, enthusiasm is especially important to keep us on track and writing and happy and etcetera.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #600
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

I'm watching. It's just that I have no idea what to do. I don't have the big picture anymore.

We've got Erebemlin's party; Tharonwe's party; and Ædegard/ Ravion's party. And Nimrodel's party. I've pretty much lost track of Amroth, since i've lost track of the big picture.