The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The Straight Stair

Question: If the Straight Stair was built by the Gondorians, or even maybe by Sauron's orcs, why was it chiseled out to be barely big enough for little Hobbits to crawl up it?
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Good question. Perhaps someone more experienced than I can provide a more satisfactory answer, but here's my shot at it.

Perhaps the stairs had eroded over time...They were built a very long time before LOTR took place. They can't have been easy to carve in the first place: going almost straight upwards. Maybe they were only able to carve thin steps.

A simpler answer would be that it makes for dramatic movie shots. The sense of vertigo during those scenes in the movie was pretty strong, and I doubt that it would have been quite so strong had the stairs been shown as larger.
I can't remember exactly how they were described in the book, but I *think* that the stairs being so thin may have been a PJ addition.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, I agree with Azaelia. Does it ever say in the books that the stairs were narrow? I would also wonder if the stairs themselves were actually of Gondorian make. Minas Ithil was, of course, a city of Gondor, but why would/did they build a pass into Mordor? Do you have a quote to back that up? It would be most helpful.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Yes, I agree with Azaelia. Does it ever say in the books that the stairs were narrow? I would also wonder if the stairs themselves were actually of Gondorian make. Minas Ithil was, of course, a city of Gondor, but why would/did they build a pass into Mordor? Do you have a quote to back that up? It would be most helpful.
No from what I read about it the other night, it doesn't say that they were particularly narrow. However, I would imagine that they were due to the fact the the climb a steep mountain and go nearly straight up. But without more conclusive evidence this is just my imagination at work.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I asked here on the movies' thread because I couldn't remember any exact description in the books.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I don't really remember a specific description of them in the movie, either, but I got the impression that they were built by orcs rather than Gondorians. (I willingly accept criticism on that subject.) At any rate, when Sam and Frodo were climbing those mentioned steps in ROTK, it looked to me as if they were having the same problems as Merry and Pippin did in Moria in FOTR--as if the steps were built for longer legs and bigger feet than they possessed.
Ideas on that, anyone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's not a joy the world can give like that it takes away...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

My best guess is that they wanted them to be 'secret' and thus made them as unnoticeable as possible. (Yes, unnoticeable is a word. I looked it up to be sure.)
Old 05-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I noticed that, too, about the trouble the hobbits were having on the Moria steps. Interesting when those steps were made by dwarves for dwarves who weren't much taller than hobbits.