The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting Weapons - What weapon did the Witch King carry ?|

Well my question is what did the Witch -King use as a weapon , I know that he used a mace but Tolkeion dose'nt describe what kinda of Mace .
I mean there are several kind of maces , for eg :-
Quote:
1) The Flail

The flail is very similar to the mace in theory, that is, put a hard object with mass on the end of a stick so you could build up momentum before striking the target. In flails, separating the striking object (example: metal balls, spiked or not) from the haft by a chain gave flails flexibility. This flexibility increased the impact force of the strike and made parrying the attack much more difficult. While also similar in concept to a morningstar or ball and chain, the flail generally consisted of multiple chains and balls attached to a haft; thus, the flail was even more of an weapon impossible to parry against. The earliest flails were merely adaptations of agricultural tools (grain threshers, for example) but served well as weapons of war. Both cavalry and dismounted soldiers used flails; the cavalry flails were generally smaller and lighter.
Quote:
2) The Morningstar

Also called a morgenstern (German for morning star) and a ball and chain mace. The morningstar was virtually identical to the ball and chain mace, the only difference being that a morningstar always had a spiked ball for striking. Like the ball and chain, the morningstar consisted of a metal ball attached by a chain to a wood or metal handle. By extending the weapon’s center of gravity far from the hand, the wielder created a great deal of momentum in a swing. The increased force of impact upon the target was devastatingly effective against armored and unarmored opponents alike.
In the movies PJ shows the Witch - kIng carrying A Morning Star .
What do you think?
I would also like to know any other weapons from the LOTR that you guys ( and Gals) know about ??
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
I always imagined the Witch-King to carry a mace without a chain, like this one:

Anyway, there are plenty of LotR weapons...and even more, if you count the Silmarillion/Hobbit ones.

Narsil - Elendil's Sword
Anduril - The name Narsil got after it was reforged.
Aiglos - Spear of Gil-Galad
Sting - Frodo/Bilbo's Sword
Glamdring - Gandalf/Turgon's Sword
(Movie-Only) Hadhafang - Elrond/Arwen's Sword
Gurthang- Turin's Sword
Orcrist - Thorin's Sword

...are the ones I remember from memory. There're probably lots more.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
]Cobalt[

Pipe

The movie version was definitely a morningstar, such as I've never seen in size and power. Physics on it were merciful in my opinion. I mean, it only broke Eowyn's arm, instead of taking it clean off by sheer mass and momentum. Nothing against Eowyn, but she had it extremely lucky, lol!

They just don't Make Shieldmaidens like that anymore..,
Old 01-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Captain of Despair
Pile O'Bones

Captain of Despair has just left Hobbiton.
The picture that gorthaur posted is about what I imagined. The morningstar in the movie was pretty cool but not really what I pictured. Besides, where would he keep something so ridiculously large!?

Also, I believe the Witchking was described as brandishing a sword which appeared to have flames pouring down its blade.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Ah Indeed you are right , the sword with flames I forgot about that , it seems P.J. forgot about it too.
But really the mace in the movie was ridiculous , it is weapon not really practically used anywhere in warfare .
Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would think the Witch King would use a Morningstar, with lots of wicked spikes and curves on it and little flesh rippers. All in all, something very painful to feel on your body.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthaur_cruel
I always imagined the Witch-King to carry a mace without a chain, like this one:
They were originally going to give him one like that, and in fact filmed the fight sequence with Lawrence Makoare and Miranda Otto with a similar mace, but they decided it was too much like Sauron's weapon from the Prologue.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That looks to traditional for me, it looks like the pictures you see in an elementary history book.