The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
Eljerial

Sting Tolkien in school?

Hey, don't you think it would be great if teachers taught Tolkien in reading or/and english class? He's such a great writer. The trilogy (spelled wrong, whoops)is a classic. Not all people know about his other books and it would be a great idea to read those too. So, start posting your opinions!
Old 05-20-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Some schools do have The Hobbit or The Fellowship of the Ring on the reading syllabus, but I never got to read anything by Tolkien in school. I wish I could have; there's one exam I'd be sure to ace! Seriously, Tolkien's works are classics, and I think students could really benefit from studying both the writing style and the themes.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I was first introduced to Tokien by The Hobbit in fifth grade. I didn't read LotR until later because somebody told me it was bad. HA!! what losers... if only i remembered who it was... hehehhe grrrrr
Tolkien in school is a great idea. I would ace every quiz. They couldn't come up with stuff nearly as hard as the stuff we have in the Quiz Room or Quotable Quotes... that would be so awesome!!
Old 05-21-2002, 06:04 AM   #4
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am sooo lucky the school i'm going to next year has the trilogy for english 60somehtingorother i am so exited!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2002, 03:32 PM   #5
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I studied the Hobbit at school when I was eleven (first year of High School in England) but that was almost 20 years ago so I reckon things have changed a lot. I was already into CSLewis and Alan Garner then so I devoured The Hobbit when it was introduced to me.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Eljerial

Sting

In our school (I'm in seventh grade) we don't get to read Tolkien. I don't think we get to read Tolkien at all in school. We have to read this simple and horrible books. For example, The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I read that in 4th grade, yet for some reason, we're reading it in 7th. People in my school must not be too bright.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think that we're reading it together, I can put him on my booklist for my English exam, but that's about tree years, I'm not thinking about that, but LotR and the Silmarillion are going to stand on that list.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #8
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I don't think studying Tolkein in school would be a good idea. If you force kids to read a book they're not interested in, they'll hate it and you could put them off Tolkein for life. We have to study Lord of the Flies for an exam, and we have to go into it in such detail it takes all the fun out of it and I've really grown to dislike the book. If they made me study Tolkien in such detail, I'd be devastated, as it would put me of my favourite book, and stop it being relaxing and fun to read. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We don't get to read it in school. It would be great if I could though. The LOTR is probebly too big for high school, I'm know of some people in my grade 10 class who would totally freak out if they saw that they had to read a book that big. At least, that is why I think it is not in my school.

Maybe too, because so many people have read LOTR already, they want to have people read something different.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I agree with Nevatalathiel. While we would enjoy it I think that if you forced students into it, than they wouldn't like it. I've read books before that i liked when i read them on my own, but when i was forced to read them in class I hated them. I think it's better that people discover tolkien at their own pace and in their own way. Besides i think half of the kids in my school would be too thick to understand most of it.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:23 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Hobbits in their holes could hardly have been cozier than Robert Wilhelm's students, who gathered before a flickering fireplace to swap the stories behind the story of "The Lord of the Rings."
A Maryland School is reading Tolkien! A nice article. Here.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:27 PM   #12
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
They couldn't come up with stuff nearly as hard as the stuff we have in the Quiz Room or Quotable Quotes...
No kidding there!

LotR and the Hobbit were both on a reading list this year for english class, but sadly we couldn't pick a book we had already read.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #13
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

At SF state. there is a class based on Tolkien and his works. Here is the thread Middle-earth 101. Oh yeah, and two grades before me, the eighth grade class had to read The HObbit a while back. But that's about it.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Haelothiel
Animated Skeleton

Haelothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with Nevtalathiel and Ms. Took. If we were required to read LotR in school, there would be quite a few Tolkien haters. This year we had to read Romeo and Juliet and a lot of the kids in my grade hated it just because they had to read it. I liked it, and I like LotR, so I hope that they don't require it cuz I don't want anyone to hate LotR. Sadly, Eljerial, you are not the only one with classmates that are a little behind. There are so many books that we had to read in class that are at about a fourth grade reading level [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ! And I'm in 9th grade! And it's kind of hard to talk to people when they don't understand some of the words you use... Well, that's all I have to say.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:16 PM   #15
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

I'm in 8th grade, and we're reading Romeo and Juliet right now [Act2]. The only time I read Tolkien [in class] was in 6th grade when I suggested it to my teacher: The Hobbit [but it was sort of a review for me because I had read it already]. Maybe they don't do Tolkien in classes much, because it's too long [esp. if you have slow readers in class], but I wish they would add it in the system a bit more...

BTW: I'm going to be in 9th grade soon!

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:04 PM   #16
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
LotR and the Hobbit were both on a reading list this year for english class, but sadly we couldn't pick a book we had already read.
Same here. Beren, you wouldn't happen to be taking English 10 would you? I assume you are a sophomore like me because of the 87 on your name, which I think indicates your year of birth...
Old 02-26-2003, 08:07 PM   #17
Rina
Pile O'Bones

Rina has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As a future English teacher, I am planning to teach Tolkien to some degree. I agree with previous comments that some students dislike books they are forced to read, so I would try to avoid drilling them, but I think it is an important piece of British Literature, besides being truly fascinating.

I am going to try to talk my English prof. into allowing me to do an Honors project on Tolkien, so if anyone has any good suggestions for topics, let me know.

"God is the Lord, of angels, and of men - and of elves."
Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:43 PM   #18
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

At my school in eighth grade we had The Hobbit on our required summer reading list! That was an easy one [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]! I didn't even have to re-re-re-(times something)-read it to know all about it and write a successful (sp?) book report. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:05 PM   #19
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think some high schools have advanced or honors classes in various subjects. Perhaps if LotR was on a list of several books the students could choose from, it wouldn't have that "I was forced to read it" stigma. If several students chose to read it, they could have study groups?!?!? If the teacher helped to make it interesting, by using maps, illustrations and perhaps role playing, this might foster some life-long Tolkein fans. Unfortunately for me, nothing by Tolkein was offered in class when I was in high school or college, although I read them on my own in 1966.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:26 PM   #20
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I sometimes think how fun it would be to introduce Tolkien to a bunch of young people, but I hate being forced to read books I don't want to, so maybe that would not be a good thing. Though I could imagine the films maybe being shown before a vacation or something like that. There are some younger kids that absolutely love the books, while I was doing a Tolkien trivia contest, there was this one boy who looked like he was nine years old, and he knew so much. there was also this one girl who was very young but knew a lot.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #21
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

It was in 8th grade when i picked up The Hobbit from the English departments book box. We had to read a particular book over the holidays and answer a series of questions on it. I picked up the Hobbit since i wanted a change from my usual reading material...and i ended up hooked like most of you guys here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] So im thankful to my teacher who put The Hobbit in her book box for holiday reading [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #22
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As a teacher (mainly foreign languages, but I have also taught English Literature classes) I don't really see a place for Tolkien in the Secondary curriculum. I can see that in primary schools, reading The Hobbit may be a good idea (though of course for a mixed-ability class it could be quite hard work for some of them.) However, once you get into the secondary schools (age 11 onwards), it would be very hard to work such a long book as LotR into the curriculum. I don't know what the situation is elsewhere, but in the UK, teachers can't just teach whatever book they choose. They are obliged to choose from a list, and teachers within the same school will have to do the same books as each other. I can see that LotR isn't to everyone's taste, and it would be impossible to study the entire book in a school year. I also agree with the people who mentioned the dislike of books that they have been forced to study - I wouldn't want anyone to be put off Tolkien because of studying it in school. As a teacher I have recommended Tolkien to several students. Some of them have taken my advice, tried it, and loved it (and then asked me many many questions about the books). But I would not recommend his work to all my students, they need to have enough intelligence and imagination.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:51 PM   #23
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol, elanor, they need intelligence? kinda insulting to your pupils! i am assuming that as we have all read lotr, we are all keen readers, and hopefully all rather intelligent (i am, i skipped a year at school [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] dont i make u sick?)
i think that making peope read lotr would be foolish, as (as elanor states) they might not have the intelligence
it is a very big and meaningful book, and its size means it would take forever to read, let alone study.it is also very deep with morals and meanings, and (as elanor said) some people might just be...to stupid? to understand them
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #24
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My mother had a teacher who read them LOTR, and named his kids after people in the book. How great is that?!? To bad hes retired now [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 09:10 AM   #25
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

i've tried to convince my teacher myself, but the only thing he said was (and i am sure he was lying [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) that some people don't like him (you see! the liar!) AND that the book was way to big to read during the whole year of our English course. I must admit that the only copies I've read are the translated ones (in Dutch), so perhaps they were to difficult as well.

ah well, school was hell.

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, ęl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Ęl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en ęl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 10:41 AM   #26
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I certainly don't mean to insult my students (mine are extremely intelligent [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). However, to read LotR (and enjoy it) you do need a certain level of intelligence and reading ability. All of us here possess that, clearly, but sadly there are lots of people in schools who don't. My personal reason not to want to teach Tolkien though, is that I would hate to force kids to read it, and hate to have to be critical of the books and the author. (You can't study a book in detail without being critical.) I think the long length, however, is the major reason why Tolkien is not taught in schools.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:21 AM   #27
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That's how I was first introduced to Tolkien, by my sixth grade teacher Mr. Brown. We read The Hobbit in his class. It was so great the way he explained everything in great detail.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:50 PM   #28
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Great! At least you and I convinced our teachers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My teacher's name was Mr.Anderson, and it wasn't that hard because he was a Tolkien fan himself.

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]
Old 02-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #29
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I study English lang. and literature at university and we have Tolkien on our reading list for modern British literature. It's actually on the new list, since two years ago. When I saw it, I began to jump with joy (imagine..). Great!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 05:19 PM   #30
Imladrien
Pile O'Bones

Imladrien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Some people state that LotR is too long and tough for most kids, (say 12 and younger).
While that may be true for a relative few, I am shocked by this. Is this where education is going?

I have a solution to the too long part. Back in high school 30 years ago, I had to read FotR for my English Lit class: one book the size of most of the others we had to read. Some of us went on to read the rest of the trilogy on our own outside of school. The rest who didn't care for it, enjoyed the next novel on the list (whatever it was) while I struggled to read that and TTT at the same time.
--Imladrien
Imladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:30 PM   #31
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Some people state that LotR is too long and tough for most kids, (say 12 and younger). While that may be true for a relative few, I am shocked by this.
I agree. When I was 13 or so, we had to read Great Expectations by Dickens over the school holiday, which is much the same length as LotR. Not all books will be to every student's taste. I was not taken by Dickens (a favourite of the school syllabus) at all, but I remember enjoying immensely books such as 1984, Brave New World, A Farewell to Arms and Wuthering Heights.

So, I don't think the fact that LotR may not be every student's cup of tea should prevent it being on the syllabus. Surely, LotR is stimulating enough to merit a place, quite apart form it being an accomplished work of literature?
Old 03-01-2003, 01:24 PM   #32
Andephelien
Pile O'Bones

Andephelien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Some people state that LotR is too long and tough for most kids, (say 12 and younger).
While that may be true for a relative few, I am shocked by this. Is this where education is going?
Yikes, this makes me happy I'm Homeschooled. I read the books when I was 11. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Andephelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #33
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

AT schools students should at least read the hobbit (to get them hooked LOL) At least my brother should, he says he doesn't like fantasy but he loves the LOTR movies and since my mom and I have both read the book and are Tolkein fans he keeps driving us mad with questions. I hope curiosity gets the better of him so that one day he will finally start reading LOTR
Old 03-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #34
NAri Brassbow
Pile O'Bones

NAri Brassbow has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

we do in my school but all the little illiterate knaves in my class complain and whine about.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:01 PM   #35
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Same case here NAri-but I wouldn't call them illiterate...
Old 03-11-2003, 10:08 AM   #36
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am in my second year of high school and I have taken the advanced/enriched English course both years and plan to next year as well. Unfortunately, the lesson plan for the regular and advanced classes is virtually the same(except the advanced classes do WIER and have a higher standard set) and we never even touched LOTR(although this year I would read my Lost Tales volume one in class quite a bit [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) Also, I do agree that most students would not appreciate Tolkien or his masterpiece and regard it as a long, boring school book. My friend in Germany, however, got to go on a class trip to see the Two Towers and even discussed it in class! I have never been so jealous! I hope our school system will wake up and at least acknowledge that Tolkien is considered one of the greatest writers of all time.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #37
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I come from Germany, but we didnīt go to see TTT and havnīt read any book by Tolkien.
But a girl in my class just made a report in our English- Class about LotR. She was a bit quicker choosing a topic than I; otherwise I would have taken LotR as my subject I am going to talk about...
Her report was good, but because she only had watched the movies and read FotR - as she told me -, it had some mistakes; sometimes, I think, one could notice how far she had got reading the books. But I donīt want to sound mean...

I donīt think it would be so good to read LotR in school. In generall I donīt like it when we are reading a book in class and have to answer many questions of our teacher that only lead us to his opinions about the issues in the book. I often tend to think, when we talk about a book in class that we havenīt read completly, that it will be less fun reading the book after our teacher talked about it with us.
As most of you said, some students will hate Tolkien after being forced to read it and I also think itīs better do discover such a book on your own; but maybe Iīm the only one who has got this problem with reading books in class.

I am now in 11th grade and I would like to do something in school concerning LotR or Middle Earth and Tolkienīs work in generall.
A good idea to include Tolkienīs work in school would be a class about Middle Earth for all Tolkien- Fans who like to prove their knowledge and talk about LotR on a higher level.
Maybe this is possible in some of your schools; talking about LotR while studing English literature is a great thing, too I think.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Narya ]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #38
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

@Narya

I imagine it was just a special interest thing and probably not a part of the normal curriculum. Still, it is a step up from most schools. Maybe not to read it, but just to acknowledge and discuss the importance, and have students voice their opinions instead of being told by their teacher what they should get out of it.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #39
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

At my school, we are reading The Hobbit right now. We are studying Quenya and Sindarin. Our teacher went to the Barrow-Downs to get our Elvish names!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] However, I am totally opposed to the Name Generator, so this makes me mad!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I'm trying to get it through to my teacher that the Name Generator only generates a name; she believes that it translates your name. BTW, in class, we have to call each other the names that the Name Generator gave us. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:43 AM   #40
Narya
Wight

Narya has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Where do you go to school? It sounds interesting to learn quenya and sindarin.
But does your teacher, who found out your *elvish names*, teaches the languages to you?
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

We had to choose a topic we would like to talk about and do a report after that, hobbit punk.
So it wasnīt part of the usual English- classes. Our teacher accepted LotR as well as any other topic we are interested in and I think itīs a very good idea to do such things especially in language- classes.

And @ Eressië Ailin: Do all of the students read The Hobbit and learn Elvish or is it just a small class of Tolkien- fans?

Some suggestions for Tolkien in school, that I could make are:
history of Middle Earth, languages of the diffrent cultures (could be combined with learning about the development of languages in generall) and tales of Tolkienīs world (in the Silmarillion) and their importance and effect.