The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-09-2002, 08:33 AM   #1
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Question Age: Proportions of Years for Men and Elves

I believe this is properly an opinion thread, so that is why I am creating it here. Estelyn, if this is the wrong place, please feel free to move it. Thanks so much for your hard work! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I am trying to create some elven characters, and I need to decide how old they are. Do you know what the years are for the elvish equivalent of a...teenager, say? That is, for men a teenager is from 13 to 19 years old. How old would an elf have to be to be considered an adult? When has an elf passed from being a "child" to being a "young adult"? From being a "young adult" to being "middle-aged"? And so forth.

I have searched the forum for a similar topic and have not found one. I would truly appreciate any assistance...thank you! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Nuranar
Old 12-09-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It varies between 50 and 100. Feanor was said to be one of the quickest matured Elves, which was a shame since, the childhood is the best part of their lives.
Half-Elves grow at the smae rate as humasn, I imagine. In the years of the trees, 1 Valinorean year was equal to 9.5 sun years, whilst in the yars of the sun, each year for the elves, lasted for 144 human years.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

Thank you, Inderjit. Just to clarify:

Quote:
It varies between 50 and 100.
This is the years for an Elvish "teenager," right?
Old 12-09-2002, 05:13 PM   #4
Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Haunting Spirit

Saurannûn the Wood Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Saurannûn the Wood Elf
Sting

50 and 100? So, I guess that means that the aging process slows down as they get older? 'Cause if it didn't, than Elrond wouldn't look HALF as good as he did (not even in the movie, just imagine the way he looked in the book! Not exactly an old geezer now, is he?)! How old is he? He looked exactly the same after 3000 years!
Old 12-10-2002, 12:55 PM   #5
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Half-Elves canot possibly age as Men do, just look at Elrond: he sure doesn't look a day over 1000 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ...(I'm not actually sure how old he is, but I'm sure it is more than that).
Old 12-10-2002, 01:24 PM   #6
Atariel
Haunting Spirit

Atariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Elrond was bron in something like the year 541/514/415/451 of the 1st age of the Sun. (im not exactly sure, but it was something with the numbers 4,5 and 1), which means that he was well over nine thousand at the time of the War of the Ring. which is pretty much nothing in comparison to Galadriel, whom was born in Valinor at the time of the two trees. Wouldn't life get soooo boring after a while, though?