The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #1481
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Of course one of the things I kept thinking about was Boromir and Faramir. But not really, what would the "five" be then...

Okay, with risk of giving hints to somebody, I am going to think aloud: I am really wondering whether this is not something like Galadriel and something (it's the West thing that makes me think about that), like Galadriel and Fëanor; or then Isildur and Aragorn, or something like that - it's the "test" part. But then again, it cannot be anything like Isildur and Aragorn, because the two were "closest, when both alive". That is troublesome, because otherwise I could well imagine the two being some two people separated in time - say, by five generations, perhaps? - yet they obviously knew each other.

This is all probably rather off, but maybe it will trigger some train of thought... or at least it made me think what it is not.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #1482
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Faramir and Boromir? Alike but different.. hmmm still think I am missing something ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #1483
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Of course one of the things I kept thinking about was Boromir and Faramir.
Like usual, you are thinking about the right thing! I told you it was a lousy riddle!

This is what the clues were:

So alike we, - appearance
And yet think differently. - well, they do

Differently we fair, - use the Ring in Boromir's case, leave it in Faramir's
Yet a common goal share. - to save Gondor

Opposites we are, - personalities
Yet alike as star to star. - physically

Between us there stand five, - 5 years difference in age
Yet we were closest... when both alive. - 'close' as in good friends

One went East, another West, - Faramir to Ithilien and Boromir to Rivendell
Both were put through a similar test. - what to do with Frodo and the Ring

I'm definitely looking forward to your next riddle, Legate!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #1484
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Faramir and Boromir? Alike but different.. hmmm still think I am missing something ..
Sorry, we crossed! It is Boromir and Faramir.

Legate mentioned them first, but not as an answer, so now I don't know who to give it to...

I guess whichever of you writes something first, then... Sorry...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #1485
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Ah! Okay! Well I've been thinking about it and basically everything as you said seemed obvious, but honestly, the "five" basically scratched it for me... age difference, never occured to me... that really was a good one, G55!

Well, I think it's whichever way. Mith, do you want to post a new one? Because if you have something ready, you can post it, before I manage to think of something... interesting how we basically posted it at the same time, I'd say that was a stroke of fate - well, great minds think alike, perhaps?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #1486
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
No it is fine I was second.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #1487
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Question

Quote:
No it is fine I was second.
But second by mere seconds

All right, I came up with something for now. It might not have so good poetic quality (I think I started becoming a bit rusty... I should post here more), but at least I hope the riddle will be entertaining.

Some have seen my twin at night,
treacherous as he be,
some said that he must be blind,
some said he could see.

I don't know him, never did;
he just bears my name,
as my twin, from Him he hid,
before he turned tame.

I have those who shelter sought
served for many years,
until treachery was brought
upon me from fears.

When He returned from His quest
I've been long in chain,
foes at my door, He can't rest
Ainu is my bane.

Happy riddling!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #1488
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ah! Okay! Well I've been thinking about it and basically everything as you said seemed obvious, but honestly, the "five" basically scratched it for me... age difference, never occured to me... that really was a good one, G55!
Thank you! It's an even greater compliment coming from a master of riddles as you are.

Quote:
I think I started becoming a bit rusty... I should post here more
No to the first, yes!!! to the second

I can't think of anything that really fits more than one stanza, and for the life of me I can't keep all of them constant throughout the riddle. Or match all three...

I'm leaning more in the direction of Frodo (He), Gollum (twin), and something Shire-related, even though none are namesakes. Here are some points I based this guess upon:

Some have seen my twin at night, - from Moria all the way to Eryn Muil Frodo saw his eyes
treacherous as he be, - o yess, my preciouss

as my twin, from Him he hid, - his as soon as Frodo turned to look at him
before he turned tame. - before he promised to help

When He returned from His quest - Frodo returned home
I've been long in chain, - under Sharkey's rule. Could be a reference to the Lockholes, or to the chain that blocked the way to the Green Dragon (IIRC)
foes at my door, - Ruffians
He can't rest - sadly he cannot, and in the end he leaves to the West
Ainu is my bane. - Saruman
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #1489
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I must say, really good points... and on really really good track... but of course, the main question, who is "I", seems to be lost completely in haze

I suggest you try to think about it... it is a bit tricky, of course, it's supposed to be! But I am sure you can find out...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #1490
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I just had a brainwave that told me that the inn is really the Floating Log! It makes sense now!

Some have seen my twin at night, - Gollum, floating on a log
treacherous as he be, - good master, let's feed you to Her
some said he could see. - I don't really know about this one.

I don't know him, never did; - Gollum never travelled to the Shire
he just bears my name, - floating on a log
as my twin, from Him he hid, - from Frodo
before he turned tame. - before he promised

I have those who shelter sought
served for many years, - being a peaceful hobbit inn
until treachery was brought
upon me from fears. - Sharkey's men etc

When He returned from His quest - Frodo comes home to see the Shire scoured
I've been long in chain, - there was a barrier blocking the road to the inn
foes at my door, - Ruffians
He can't rest - leaves to the West
Ainu is my bane. - Saruman

I=The Floating Log
Twin=Gollum
He=Grodo

I didn't realize how close I was in my previous guess!

That was one great riddle, Legate!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #1491
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Pipe

That has to be right!

In fact, now that I've seen your answer, G55, I believe I can supply the missing bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
some said he could see.
Compare:
Quote:
"It wasn't funny that way, Mr Frodo. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"

"The log's all right," said Frodo. "There are many in the River. But leave out the eyes!"
Nice work! Legate's riddles generally take weeks to solve!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #1492
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed! Floating Log is the correct answer. Well done, G55! And as for the missing bit, Nerwen is right - that quote is what I've been referring to.

So once again, cheers - and now you can imagine how I felt when I saw your original guess, which was basically entirely correct, except for concluding the specific answer

Anyway, your turn, then, Galadriel55!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #1493
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thanks, Legate, and kudos to Nerwen for that quote! Here it goes...

I carried one
With a load heavier that mine,
But not for long.

Soon enough, by stroke of fate,
He found himself a better mate.
Music, but not song.

To darkness we came,
But, what a shame! -
I durst not go along.

My master with my feet
I happened to greet:
Farewell! So long!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-08-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1494
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

*pokes this thread*

My riddles don't bite.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #1495
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Is it Bill the Pony?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1496
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is it Bill the Pony?
It is! That was quick.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #1497
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I had thought it was Sam when I first looked but that didn't work. Then I remembered a notorious thread involving Bill Ferny being kicked in the Shire - which I postulated might be an euphemism

Don't quite get the music but not song....

Ad oh dear I have to think of summat now.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #1498
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Bill indeed kicked Bill , which is what the last stanza is referring to.

"Music but not song" - music is Asfaloth's bells, but there was no time for songs or other merriment after the Trollshaws.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #1499
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I'm restarting this, since a month had passed.

Both of us are of white,
Loved ones rejected us,
Some may say it's bad,
But we say it's good.

For we moved on,
We fell in love with each other
We've proven that darkness could be escaped
We reached the light when the Eagles came.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #1500
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Beren and Luthien? Rejected by Thingol, proved Morgoth's unassailability to be wrong, ran out of Thangorodrim before being saved by the Eagles...
Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #1501
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Close, but no cigar. Think third age...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #1502
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

White Tree

Eowyn and Faramir?

Both of us are of white, - Faramir is from the White City, and he calls Eowyn "the White Lady of Rohan"
Loved ones rejected us, - Denethor preferred Boromir, and Theoden forbade Eowyn to come with him
Some may say it's bad,
But we say it's good.

For we moved on,
We fell in love with each other
We've proven that darkness could be escaped - together they were saved by Aragorn
We reached the light when the Eagles came. - Eowyn "woke up" when the Eagle came to announce victory
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #1503
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Yup.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #1504
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Shield

Thanks!

All right, here's mine, but I don't have Legate's skill with poetry.

People pass me by
Most notice me not
Only the chosen ones know -
They were chosen by fate.

My secret in my name
But no one thinks of it
Until one without understanding
Saves the day.

When my power is revealed
I reveal another's also.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 07-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #1505
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe that bread root Mim had?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #1506
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Maybe that bread root Mim had?
Good guess, but no. You're somewhat on the right track, though.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #1507
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Is it Athelas? Sorry about missing my go earlier - it slipped my mind..

Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #1508
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is it Athelas?
Yes it is!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #1509
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yay! I will try and get something posted tonightthoughb it may not be so clever...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #1510
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OK well I did write more but I think it makes it too easy so see how you get on with just the first stanza:

Golden haired and golden hearted
Though I bore a different name
Strange my fate but less exalted
Was I than those who fared the same

Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #1511
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Out of all the golden-haired people that I thought of, only two kinda fit the lines: Eowyn and myself divided by 55.

Golden haired and golden hearted - well, they have golden hair, and I suppose, golden hearts...
Though I bore a different name - Dernhelm for Eowyn, or Nerwen for Galadriel
Strange my fate - they are a bit unusual
but less exalted
Was I than those who fared the same
- Eowyn's only title was "the King's niece" when she went to war, unlike Theoden (King), Eomer (3rd Marshal), and the leaders of the eoreds. You can even say that she was a plain solider and not even a commander of the lowest rank. As for Galadriel - she was the youngest daughter of the youngest sons of Finwe when the Noldor left Valinor for ME.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #1512
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Good reasoning but I think you need to find more blondes.... Only smiling because it now seems to me so obvious that even one wrong guess seems a triumph... but your reasoning shows me I haven't done a duff riddle if that makes any sense.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #1513
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Idril? Almost everything fits.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #1514
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes it is Idril. Known as Celebrindal (silver foot) and (I have always felt) rather neglected compared to Luthien and Arwen. One of my favourite characters - as wise and resourceful as she was noble and lovely.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #1515
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Thumbs up

So, it's my turn? Well, I have a riddle.

See how you'll deal with this:

I counselled one whose heart was great
though later I grew lonely.
Control or mastery I sought not
but understanding only.

Wise and patient was I named;
learned in my father's lore.
All about me passions flamed
yet ever I forbore

Last edited by Urwen; 08-06-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #1516
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sounds rather like Faramir - learned and wise and patient, who didn't seek the ring.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #1517
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nope. It's a minor character. And this character is not from Lotr.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #1518
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OK - thought it was too soon after the last time...and he wasn't lonely for long! somethingis nagging inthe back of my mind,,, I 'll get back to you if it emerges

Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #1519
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sounds a bit like Gwindor from the Narn...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #1520
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No. Earlier than that...way earlier. The book is Sil