The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Which Female Valar is your favorite?
Varda 4 33.33%
Yavanna 5 41.67%
Nienna 3 25.00%
Estë 0 0%
Nessa 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Please Do Not Use This Thread Which Has Been Replaced By A More Complete One.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I am hoping to have this one closed very soon.

Since there are so many Valar, it is necessary to separate them out in some way, so I have chosen to do so by gender and primacy. Please see the "brother thread" to this one for primary Male Valar. Perhaps I will do a poll thread on the Ainur soon.

Feel free to describe what it is that you like about your favorite Vala, and if possible, what characteristics you feel you share with him.

Sorry, you must pick one Vala for the poll. But feel free to name close seconds and thirds, etc.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-22-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Nienna, because of her influence on Gandalf, er, Olorin.

Of course, you realise that splitting up the polls this way avoids going mano e hot tamale.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
But elempi, where have Vairë and Vána gone? Your poll is incomplete! What kind of a discrimination is that?

And whether I am not as sure with Valier as with Valar, Vána was among the possibilities of my choices, so...!!!

Otherwise I am thinking about Estë, also Yavanna because of the trees (with small "t"), Varda because of the stars, but I am not as close to them in other things.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-21-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I have to second Legate, where are Vairë and Vána?

I would choose Vairë because I somehow like that kind of melancholic air around her - weaving a tapestry of the history of Arda within the Halls of Mandos.

I might pick Niënna in her absence, but she takes melancholy a little too far.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
So see it, elempi? And I don't want to imagine what feminists could make out of it. Why are you not mentioning all the Valier when you are mentioning all the Valar, even Tulkas who was not there originally, or Melkor, who did no longer count among them? Tsk-tsk. And now even Mac wants Vairë and I want Vána. I'm going to neg-rep you, sir!!! You call yourself a Tolkien fan?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
So see it, elempi? And I don't want to imagine what feminists could make out of it.
Here's one feminist... but unlike some gentlemen here, I'm not going to make anything special out of it , just politely echo the posed question of why are a few of the Valier missing.

I think that whatever LMP means by "primacy" here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Since there are so many Valar, it is necessary to separate them out in some way, so I have chosen to do so by gender and primacy
might have something to do with some people being dropped out, yet I would still like to ask why, and why just Vairë and Vána? Are you going to make a separate poll: which lesser Valie do you prefer, Vairë or Vána? Or what exactly had you in mind and what is this stuff about primacy?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Here's one feminist... but unlike some gentlemen here, I'm not going to make anything special out of it , just politely echo the posed question of why are a few of the Valier missing.
*ahem* okay But still...

Quote:
I think that whatever LMP means by "primacy" here might have something to do with some people being dropped out, yet I would still like to ask why, and why just Vairë and Vána? Are you going to make a separate poll: which lesser Valie do you prefer, Vairë or Vána? Or what exactly had you in mind and what is this stuff about primacy?
Even if the reason was this "primacy", I don't see why Vána and Vairë should be considered "lesser" than, let's say, Nessa or Estë. We are told that Yavanna, Nienna and Varda were three of the Aratar, so then I would eventually understand if elempi dropped the remaining four. But this just does not make sense. And even in that case (to continue in the "feministic rant" ), I would expect him to also drop those who are not among Aratar even between the male Valar.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Even if the reason was this "primacy", I don't see why Vána and Vairë should be considered "lesser" than, let's say, Nessa or Estë. We are told that Yavanna, Nienna and Varda were three of the Aratar, so then I would eventually understand if elempi dropped the remaining four. But this just does not make sense. And even in that case (to continue in the "feministic rant" ), I would expect him to also drop those who are not among Aratar even between the male Valar.
But if LMP was to create a separate thread for Vána and Vairë we can hardly accuse him of chauvinism, could we? Since thus he would be making more female-threads than male-threads... Useless to judge before we've heard what he has to say on the matter...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
But if LMP was to create a separate thread for Vána and Vairë we can hardly accuse him of chauvinism, could we? Since thus he would be making more female-threads than male-threads... Useless to judge before we've heard what he has to say on the matter...
Well, in that case he could be accused of male discrimination...
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Well, in that case he could be accused of male discrimination...
Oh no, LMP, did you ever guess what kind of trouble you got into when you dropped Vána and Vairë? Whatever you planned to do, you're discriminating people...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Please accept my humble apologies. My decision was based on including those whom I thought were the major Valar, and I was rushing. If there is any way to fix this, I will. Perhaps we should X this thread and start over?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The polls are alot of fun, lmp, especially because we get to be so nitpicky in a light vein. They are not nearly so serious as those balrog wings debates and UT versus Silm versus HoMe quotation marathons. I think they demonstrate that Tolkien's mythology is an infinitely expanding universe--there's always another demi-god or goddess just around the corner who we forgot about because we are having trouble keeping Tolkien's names clear in our heads and not confusing them with their REB counterparts.

Thanks for creating the polls. I'm off now to post my utter discombobulation and bewilderment that some people would actually prefer Ulmo.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #13
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Yes, definitely start the thread over. I need to choose Vana, since she's Orome's wife.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Varda's the most beautiful...

(you can tell I'm not as deep as Belegaer)
Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Yavanna. Earth Queen thingy. I'm not very surprised that Tolkien made her second to Varda, but I sometimes wonder why the Elves do not revere her the same way the ancients revered their earth goddesses. Maybe because the Elves are immortal?

Legal Madness.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Bethberry's reassurances notwithstanding, I'm going to start a brand new poll on the Female Valar, including the two I left out originally, Vána and Vairë. I'll ask Estelyn or whoever is moderator for this thread to close it. Sorry for the mess, but please let's start over. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Closed - for those who posted here, I'll leave the thread visible for a few days before deleting it, so that you can repost on the new thread.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Closed Thread