The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG

Is there anyone who is looking at or playing the Beta of the new MMO Lord of the Rings Online site? The screenshots look stunning, but I wonder if there's any interest in getting a band of Downers together to form a group (guild?) in it. Anyone with info or who has played the Beta please post here and let us know how it plays, and if it's worth our time.

The website is http://lotro.turbine.com/.

Oh and here's a lovely screenshot of the Barrow-Downs from the game:
http://lorimages.turbine.com/files/93/96/18/42/67.jpg
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I applied for the Beta but I don't think I'll get it as I couldn't be bothered finding about my computer spec
Old 01-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was in a guild for that...about...well, three years ago? And it still hasn't come out, so I must say I've rather lost interest. There's also that money issue.

If I have the money, though, I'm a sucker for MMORPGs, particularly when I have people to play with. So I'll keep a BD guild in mind.

Apparently it is pretty good, from what I've heard from CaptainofDespair who has talked to beta testers. It runs a lot like all the other major MMORPGs, so it may not be anything new under the sun...except that it's a Lord of the Rings MMORPG. Not necessarily bad at all.

There is still an issue with PvP, though, apparently. No one seems to know for sure what they're doing with it. They say that there is no straight-forward PvP, but they've hinted that there's going to be some sort of other kind of PvP...how different it can be, I don't know. There also hasn't been any news about that in a while, I believe, so...who knows.

I don't know much else, except that the fact that it switched developers since I first started looking at it had me worried. It seemed to separate itself from the movies nicely, even it's original name of "Middle-Earth Online" further separating it from the strictly people-only-know-about-"Lord of the Rings"-because-of-the-movies thing. I haven't really looked into it in a while, though, so I can't say too much.

Edit: Okay, sorry, apparently Turbine just bought out Vivendi so they would be both publisher and developer.

Last edited by Durelin; 01-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Stress-tester here!!

Well folks, I got an e-mail the other day saying that I was invited as a stress-tester... and this weekend I actually got to try the game out!!

Now, I'm bound by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) so I can't tell you MUCH... but the game is REALLY good.

My computer isn't the best out there but still at times the game ran very smoothly (at low graphs levels) so I'm guessing that if I ever get to play when it's not a stress-test (stress-test meaning that A LOT of people are on at the same time to try to test the limits of the servers and whatnot) it should run just fine.

If you want to start a guild (Called Kinships in game, I believe) we could discuss it here... or you can drop me a PM.

The game is really good, but BEWARE... just like the movies, it's NOT the books exactly... so there are some things that your inner mind will say "but this can't happen!!" yet overall it was pretty faithful to Tolkien's work and lots of fun to play.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
so farael, how much can you tell us ???
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
he couls tell us all he wants its not like they're spying on Lord of the Rings messageboards looking to see if anyone blabs
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

The Barrow-Downs Troupee...I like it. It sounds fun and vaguely nonsensical.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dang...I just downloaded the 7-day free trial, and have to say I like it but can't afford to keep playing.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*uses "Enlivening Grace" on this thread*

So, any BDers currently playing this other than Kuru, CoD, and myself? Yeah, I know, said I couldn't afford it...

Decided you could afford it yet, Oddwen?

The first expansion is coming out supposedly in the fall: the Mines of Moria, adding two more classes and who knows what else. < / advertisement >
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
So, come September 10th, LotROnline will be free-to-play. Something which is very close to what I can afford!

Does anyone still play?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Oh...hi there!

Meh...sort of.

I hate to be a party pooper but the game has gotten steadily worse over the course of its lifetime. I was playing pretty regularly up until a month or so ago but when I saw the changes they were going to be bringing in with it going f2p and, more importantly, some of the glaring problems they were not fixing I...uhh...kinda sorta did a.../ragequit.

CaptainofDespair is probably wondering what in the world happened to me.

I do intend to keep playing some...I already had a lifetime membership which means I automatically have premium when it goes f2p...but as far as really *playing* it for more than just advancing the story for my characters, I don't see myself willing to do that anymore. The game is just not that great and there are much more fun things for me to spend my time on.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...where do I start about LotRO?

I was once closely related to the game and the developers, but having gone through the alpha and beta stages of the game, it was evident to me that the vision of the game had digressed from 'living in Middle-earth' to amassing piles of swag, endlessly killing mobs and basically emulating World of Warcraft. In fact, the head dev admitted his desire to compete with WoW, rather than deliver a gaming experience solidly entrenched in the lore and ethics of Middle-earth.

Interesting to so see LotRO has declined to the point where it requires free-to-play status. Perhaps if they catered to the very folks who believed in the original game design (MEO or Middle-earth Online) and were avid fans of Tolkien's Middle-earth, then they may have maintained a loyal customer base without the need to use such desperate tactics to remain viable.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
CaptainofDespair is probably wondering what in the world happened to me.
Nah. I could tell from your last month or so in-game that you were not terribly pleased with Turbine's continued direction. Good to see you are still kickin' though. ;-)
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote