Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #2121
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Heh. I'm sure she knows Cyrano ten times better than me, since I'm just vaguely familiar, versus she seems quite excited.

Call me when you want to talk about Neil Gaiman. I'm more of a contemporary kinda girl.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #2122
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
"There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire." And so on.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #2123
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Tell me about my beloved England!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #2124
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Augh. I wish there were time for a Stardust-shaped break in my work.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #2125
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post
Plus we're trying to make Foley feel loved for reading and knowing Cyrano.
Loved? No indeed, you are making me feel less special.

Just kidding. It's awesome. Cyrano is by far one of the family's favorite plays and we are familiar with a good sum of plays....

You guys partied without me last night. I went to bed before 10.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #2126
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Foley and Fea!

I've moved the discussion inside the Mead Hall forwards.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #2127
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Carry on without me - I'm not sure when I'll be able to post. May not be till tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #2128
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lommy, do you want to up the tension just a little bit more before you get busted?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #2129
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Lommy, do you want to up the tension just a little bit more before you get busted?
I cannot speak completely for her, but today she told me something like "I really hope Wynflaed comes there soon". Also not sure when she might post. So I think you might as well post without waiting for her and it's maybe even better (unless she wants the boys to say something to Lithor, but then it might as well be just better to avoid it, as they might be somewhat in the mood of preferring to say it to Lithor's head once it is away from the rest of his body).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #2130
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

K. I'll try to get something up as soon as I'm finished with this pesky paper... (one page to go!)
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #2131
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Coen has gone over to have a word with his soldiers which I guess means he's basically gone over to have a word with Hilderinc, Legate. Heh.

It's nothing important, so no worries if nothing comes of it before we've moved on from the banquet.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #2132
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
It's nothing important, so no worries if nothing comes of it before we've moved on from the banquet.
I guess you have ample time... Seeing the discussion through inside and outside might take a few days.

So go on Dury! It would be nice to see those two interact...

Looking at what Foley said it would be nice to see you posting Fea...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #2133
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Feel free to act now, Mnemo and Foley... I'm sorry Groin, but I just couldn't see it ending otherwise. Note the interesting twist, though.

As for punishing the bullies, where's your common sense, darlings? I'm afraid nobles do have the right to "eavesdrop" on their folk and Athanar is hardly likely to bash anyone for accusing Lithor of treason since he did it himself...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #2134
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Coen has gone over to have a word with his soldiers which I guess means he's basically gone over to have a word with Hilderinc, Legate. Heh.

Yes, very nice, Dury. I am actually already in the process of writing a post... let's see if I get it done now.

And I see something's happening even otherwise...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #2135
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Whoa!

Lommy, was that an aim, or a hit? Will Lithor duck in time?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #2136
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Whoa!

I'm leaving the decision to the next writer, whoever it is.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #2137
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

O... M... G... !

Lommy, you're such a menace! ... well your characters are...

I'm kind of backing away from the stance that lord Athanar would be very easy on everything his sons do... I clearly promised too much there.

Nice posts Form and Dury!

It would be nice if we have some spare time during this day that Athanar would notice Náin smoking a pipe as well. That might serve as an introduction between them, and if not on this banquet-night, then the next day or something.

And belated thanks to Fea for giving me a nice lead to turn the general discussion of politics of Gondor into the pressing problems he himself - and the Mead Hall - has!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #2138
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
(unless she wants the boys to say something to Lithor, but then it might as well be just better to avoid it, as they might be somewhat in the mood of preferring to say it to Lithor's head once it is away from the rest of his body).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
I'm sorry Groin, but I just couldn't see it ending otherwise. Note the interesting twist, though.
Too late Legate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyn
I half expected things to go this way and that is why in my last post I made it vaguely clear that Lithor would not fight, since he had offered both of them grievous insults (plus, as a thought of my own, I think it would be beneath an elderly man such as him to be fighting with people less than half his age).

I almost took it as far as a fight in my post, but that was me, talking not Lithor. I have Lithor feeling sort of hollow inside right now. It is the sort of feeling when you lose something that you are so dependent on in life (in his case, laughter);however, he is coming out of his depression. That punch in the face could be what he needs to awaken him. Anyway this is turning out great!

I love all your posts Dury, Nogrod, Formy, and Lommy! I will get something up tomorrow morning.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #2139
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hey, why is everybody against my characters?

Somebody local has attacked their little sister and they don't know who it was or what happened.

Their father has been insulted, and there has been treasonous talk against him on the first day of their arrival although their father has tried to be fair to the locals.

They themselves have been insulted and their authority and rights have been questioned, and they have been patronised and belittled.

I would be pretty ****ed off too.

edit: haha 'downs censors me, I guess it's just fair although I didn't expect that!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #2140
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You can be mad in a prudent manner. Such lords should not act in such low behavior as shoving. Although I quite agree that it is in their right to do, Lithor's talent is with words and he won't attempt to actually fight his superiors unless they showed some gross disrespect to his friends.

It is as a famous play writer once said:

The gentler gamester is the soonest winner.

Indeed, our characters make good points on which to be respected, but it is no fun when we only look at the dull, narrow, view of our characters. It is
Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #2141
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay, I figured brawls were getting a little old...

Lommy, you had better have a good explanation for what you were doing.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #2142
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Oh how I love Wynflaed!

But Mnemo, shouldn't it be W & W who have something to explain and not Lommy?

I was actually a bit afraid it might have gone over the top there but now I think we have chances to talk this out... even if not without some further pain...

Heh, how to deal with all the wrong-doings of the first evening? It's not too easy to be a lord and face all that...
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #2143
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But Mnemo, shouldn't it be W & W who have something to explain and not Lommy?
Shush. I enjoy vaguely conflating players with their characters... it means I can boss your daughter around.

By which I mean you're absolutely right and I'm just a lazy typist.

Last edited by Mnemosyne; 12-07-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #2144
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so I have posted - Dury, I don't know if Coen actually has any much better opinion about Thornden than Hilderinc, but it does not matter, it's for the sake of conversation and I am putting it there as a bait for you - you can think about it (as Coen, or also as yourself in relation to Coen), expand it or whatever... I am sure you will know how to use it.

I have also used two of the soldier characters Nogrod used in some of his posts a long long time ago when the newcomers arrived... just so that we remember there are plenty "existing" characters to use for "background interludes" (like I have just used them).

Quote:
Oh how I love Wynflaed!
Yes, brilliant

Quote:
Heh, how to deal with all the wrong-doings of the first evening? It's not too easy to be a lord and face all that...
Your men stand behind you, sir!

Anyway... I like the life in the Hall. Looking forward to how we are going to proceed.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #2145
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
It is as a famous play writer once said:

The gentler gamester is the soonest winner.
There you go quoting Henry V again.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #2146
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Nog, I left an opening for Athanar to start pondering the situation we discussed. Not sure when you'll want to activate Plan Awesome, but there's now a solid reason for his mind to head in that direction.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #2147
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Fea: I used it, partly... we're going into that direction...

Heh, the next question becomes that if Athanar manages to show his qualities with the local lords and is looking for a transfer into a better place, would the Mead Hallers actually want him to stay or leave - or could he himself fall in love with the place & people and not wish to leave?

Okay, we have time to play this and no one needs to make her/his character any more easy because of that thought.

Let's see how it goes.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #2148
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
There you go quoting Henry V again.
I love that play! I can't escape it!

Anyway, I think that it is about time to introduce some proper new characters to Scarburg who aren't soldiers.

NAME: Girth

APPEARANCE: Girth’s height is no more than five feet. Girth’s size is a credit to his name, as round as a barrel from his legs to his head. The hair on his head is few and is as yellow as a daisy. He dons a broad brimmed hat and the most humble of clothes.

TRAITS/BEHAVIOUR: A simple peasant, Girth knows no ambition or aspirations for future promotion. Each day passes like the next, Girth does not think of tomorrow, he lets tomorrow worry about itself. Content with anything and anywhere, Girth knows no contempt for his fellow man if he is left unmolested. An extremely simple man, Girth chooses to be grateful for the few blessings that he is graced with. He owns nothing, not even the staff in his hand is his. All that he uses belongs to his lord. He takes great pride in small accomplishments. “A small accomplishment is the foundation of a big thing. And that is not a small accomplishment.”

HISTORY: One day is like the next to Girth. Girth was born to Grim the Swine Herder under Athanar’s father and Girth has proudly inherited the title as swine herder. Though swine herder is his chief pride, he watches all the cattle, sheep, goats, and poultry that are in Lord Athanar’s camp. His friends are many. All who come across his path that he likes he calls a friend. The closest friend of Girth is a frazzle haired, skinny, young man by the name of Hamrod. They both have adopted a tramp dog who they have cleverly named Dog. Both eagerly await the new life at Scarburg.

-------------------

Linked ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-07-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #2149
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Hmm, interesting new characters I see...

Let's see how they will fit into the mix!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #2150
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Girth the swine-herd, eh? Been reading Sir Walter Scott, have we? Maybe it's just coincidence this time...but "Girth" is very close to "Gurth."
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #2151
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Girth the swine-herd, eh? Been reading Sir Walter Scott, have we? Maybe it's just coincidence this time...but "Girth" is very close to "Gurth."
No, I got the name Girth from my character's size. I thought it was fitting. Besides, I never liked Scott. He had too many personal vendettas against Catholics.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #2152
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nice to see stuff happening. Mnemo and I are going to write a post together today... *evil grin*

Nogrod, could you change this part of your post:

Quote:
Modtryth was just coming to pour them some more wine when lord Athanar suddenly spread his hands with a seemingly bright idea crossing his mind.

His right hand hit the winecase and a lot of wine poured down to his lap. He turned his eye to Modtryth only to see her shaking all over in fear. "What is your name woman?" He asked in a stern voice while wondering if she was indeed a dunleding... Now what is this... a dunleding in my Hall... I clearly know not half of what is going on down here.

"Modtryth, sir, wife of Stigend the carpenter and the humble servant of the eorl... and lady Saeryn..." Modtryth managed to answer.

"Well Modtryth, it was my fault... you were only carrying out your duties. Fill our goblets and then get a towel for me." He said now quite softly even if determinatedly, looking at the woman beside her.

"Sure my lord... just a moment..." Modtryth said and filled the goblets and thus went away to search for a towel.

Lord Athanar seemed not to care of the wine poured on his lap but leaned forward.

"If the inheritance is the problem, I think we could come up with a solution..."

Looking at the confused faces of Saeryn and Degas lord Athanar almost laughed out aloud.

"Now listen to me... this will be between ourselves and not leaked into the commoners... not even to master Thornden... right?" He looked for the accepting nods from the two.

"I'm here on an assignment from king Eomer but I have no idea of spending my retiring years here... so whoever takes the leadership of the Mead Hall here after my duties are fulfilled, and I get a promotion from the king, it's pretty much same to me... so how if we could come up with an arrangement that you lady Saeryn would be the inheritor of this place? If king Eomer is not knowledgeable of your child or has just not thought of it... then we could act by ourselves, or ask his blessing on our deal?"

Modtryth came with the towels and together the two tried to clean as much they could. After a few minutes lord Athanar asked Modtryth to leave.
to this:

Quote:
Modtryth was just coming to pour them some more wine when lord Athanar suddenly spread his hands with a seemingly bright idea crossing his mind.

His right hand hit the winecase and a lot of wine poured down to his lap. He turned his eye to Modtryth only to see her grow pale. "What is your name woman?" He asked in a stern voice while wondering if she was indeed a dunleding... Now what is this... a dunleding in my Hall... I clearly know not half of what is going on down here.

"Modtryth, sir, at your service," she replied curtly, eyes downcast. "I'm the wife of Stigend the carpenter... and the humble servant of the eorl, and lady Saeryn."

"Well Modtryth, it was my fault... you were only carrying out your duties. Fill our goblets and then get a towel for me." He said now quite softly even if determinatedly, looking at the woman beside her.

"Sure my lord," Modtryth said and filled the goblets and thus went away to search for a towel.

Lord Athanar seemed not to care of the wine poured on his lap but leaned forward.

"If the inheritance is the problem, I think we could come up with a solution..."

Looking at the confused faces of Saeryn and Degas lord Athanar almost laughed out aloud.

"Now listen to me... this will be between ourselves and not leaked into the commoners... not even to master Thornden... right?" He looked for the accepting nods from the two.

"I'm here on an assignment from king Eomer but I have no idea of spending my retiring years here... so whoever takes the leadership of the Mead Hall here after my duties are fulfilled, and I get a promotion from the king, it's pretty much same to me... so how if we could come up with an arrangement that you lady Saeryn would be the inheritor of this place? If king Eomer is not knowledgeable of your child or has just not thought of it... then we could act by ourselves, or ask his blessing on our deal?"

Modtryth came with the towels and together the two tried to clean as much they could. After a few minutes lord Athanar asked Modtryth to leave.
?

Basically I kept your main idea - Modtryth being sort of scared by Athanar - but modified her behaviour to a more characteristic way and took out some waffling and three dots that I wouldn't write for her myself.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #2153
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I am amazed and thrilled to see so many posts both here and on the gamethread! You guys are AMAZING!

I posted...I know it is an extraordinarily lame post, but you must forgive me - I am unexpectedly sick and I am not thinking very well nor very creatively. But I didn't want to hold things up.

So, I provided fuel to the fires of The Nobles Conversation and the conversation amongst Lithor, Crabannan, and Thornden.

-- Foley

EDIT: Groin, I just read Girth's bio. He sounds wonderful. If Javan ever turns into an outcast again (not that he was ever QUITE an outcast, but you know) then I think I'll have him stumble across Girth.....
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #2154
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

You're too modest Foley!

Those were good entries moving both situations forwards and enabling a number of reactions. Excellent!

PS. Lommy, I will make the corrections you suggested...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #2155
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

There's the post, Mnemo and I wrote it together (and as you can see, Mnemo wrote most of it since her character was kind of having monologues... ).
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #2156
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hush. Wynflaed happens to like having monologues...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #2157
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Wonderful post Mnemo & Lommy!

I loved this especially!
Quote:
If you truly think that Athanar and I will do nothing in defense of this treachery and treason, then you have forgotten--we both of us grew up and lived--and survived--under the court of Grima Wormtongue. I assure you, compared to those dark years, these intrigues are child's play.
Soo true!

Do you people have lots in mind for this day to continue? If you do please go forwards. But if not, I might be happy to change the day in a few days (RL). I think we need to have a few posts... like the boys addressing their father, maybe something on Thornden / Lithor / Crabannan, maybe Degas saying something... any reactions from the others?

Also I kind of suggest that we make a little hearing the next day where at least Lithor, W & W, Thornden, Coen - and maybe Saeryn, Degas & Wynflaed would be attending. And if Wynflaed knows Javan is the culprit, then him as well - or he could be fetched in if that thing would be revealed during the discussion.

Then lord Athanar would call his verdict...

Should that be before the soldiers have their excercises or after that?

What do you think about the plan in general?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #2158
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Do you people have lots in mind for this day to continue? If you do please go forwards. But if not, I might be happy to change the day in a few days (RL). I think we need to have a few posts... like the boys addressing their father, maybe something on Thornden / Lithor / Crabannan, maybe Degas saying something... any reactions from the others?
Don't forget Coen replying to Hilderinc (and maybe again a reply back).

But yes, otherwise - as for me, the plan's okay.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #2159
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Hush. Wynflaed happens to like having monologues...
So does Lithor! Fortunately, I suppressed all my urges to do a monologue in my post that I just put up. It is kind of BLAH! but it moves things along. Let me know Mnemo if it was alright that I had Wynflaed join Thornden. You post with Lommy was fun! However, I do believe that it could have ended better if there was some show of violence on Wynflaed's part.

I like the plan, Nogrod. I like the way things are moving.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #2160
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Now, now, Groin, a lady of the Eorlingas does not strike her own brood, even when they deserve it...

But it's okay that you had Wynflaed join this group. She'll probably just observe for the time being.