The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #41
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

That's very funny. Goes well with what I said earlier, albeit put in a much more interesting way.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #42
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Boromir88, I totally agree with you! Who cares about Boromir's hair? If it looks better, than, hey, why change it? And the Gandalf's light thing, you can't see anything if it's 'blinding'! Because, it's blinding!(Not speaking literally, but, the camera would be covered in white.)
Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #43
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Talking about Nit pickers. My friend is one of the worst kind. here is an example.

"Aragorn's voice goes nasal during his speech at the Black Gate"

"Frodo's neck is too thick"

The worst is that these comments are all so superficial. She is too obsessed with image i think.

About Faramir's hair. I don't think David Wenham would have looked any good with a back wig!!!! Cringe!

I just really don't like nit pickers although I sometimes do it myself. But that is only VERY sometimes.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09 PM   #44
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Is anyone familiar with FoxTrot?

If your not familiar with the comic Foxtrot you should know that it's a really, really , good comic...basically it's about a family of five, a father a mother and three kids (son, daughter, son), somewhere in America. The youngest son is named Jason and is the biggest geek/nerd/obsessive ever. The only reason I mention this is because there is a strip from before the Lord of the Rings moives came out which fits this thread perfectly (sorry I've no image...but I'm copying this from my Foxtrot book).

Jason is sitting at a computer, leaning in really close to it, when his sister Paige comes in:
Paige: What are you doing?
Jason: Examining the "Lord of the Rings" movie trailer frame by frame and pixxel by pixel.
Paige: What for?
Jason: To be sure they're staying true to the books. I don't want Hollywood messing up this project by changing things or cutting corners. Already I fear they didn't use real Undead Ringwraiths to shoot this one scene.
Paige: (turning to leave) I'm going to be ill.
Jason: My reaction exactly.

Do any of you know someone that obsessive or nit-picky? ( )

Anyway, if you're not familiar with Foxtrot there are some great, absolutely wonderful, Lord of the Rings Jokes in there (as well as jokes on many other things too) and I highly suggest them.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #45
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Here's that comic you mentioned, Shelob. And this actually reminded my of my dad... o.O

~ Saphy ~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foxtrot3.jpg (53.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #46
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Sweet!

Thanks Sapphire_Flame!

Quote:
And this actually reminded my of my dad... o.O
actually, come to think of it, it kind of makes me think of my brother...I recall him doing something similar to this (but not as drastic) when we first saw the trailers online...
Old 01-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #47
aelithes
Pile O'Bones

aelithes has just left Hobbiton.
Anyone who's seen the extended editions of the three films (or even just one of them) can get a sense of the absolute gi-normity of this project - I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect the filmmakers to stay true to every single aspect of Tolkien's work.

As Philippa Boyens at one point notes, there are certain rather drastic changes in the movies from the text which people readily accept now; other little details (e.g., the colour of a character's eyes, the brightness of Gandalf's light) understandably need to be a little bit compromised when you take into consideration the translation of a book to good film.

I mean, of course I would love it if all the plot elements in Tolkien had been included, but for the mainstream audience, it would've proven to be much too long and rather boring (which quite a few people already think about the theatrical versions).