The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #1121
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Not being able to work out if you're too hot or too cold. It's most irritating.

Oh and geography coursework combined with chronic procrastination. Really, really, really not a good mix. The 19th is looming steadily
Old 04-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #1122
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathwin
Oh and geography coursework combined with chronic procrastination. Really, really, really not a good mix. The 19th is looming steadily
Interesting. You have the same deadline as me. I shall assign coursework deadlines JUST after Easter (literally my first day back) meaning that the holiday is more or less a coursework-fest.

I will also assign the idiocy of choosing - of our own free will - to take such stupid subjects as Geography and Physics. Why would we subject ourselves to such misery?

I also assign chronic pessimism.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #1123
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Geography itself is fine, it's the coursework elements that are less fun. Catch me later and tell me what you're doing, I'm a year ahead so may be of some assistance.

While I'm here I'd like to assign having no sense of time whatsoever. It's lucky I made no specific appointments today, I'd have been late for, or simply not gone to, all of them!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #1124
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Scary freak accidents that involve lots of blood and are so awful that you have to put your head between your knees just to keep from fainting when hearing about them over the phone. (My dad slipped on the tile floor in the kitchen on Sunday and impaled his hand an a kitchen knife when he grabbed for the counter to keep from falling. He's doing better now, but still can't really use his right hand.)
Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #1125
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh lord, how ghastly.
*waves of sympathy to Orominuialwen pere*
Old 04-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #1126
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
and impaled his hand an a kitchen knife
I wasn't reading closely and at first I thought it said "head" ... thank goodness it wasn't that!

Downers whose nicknames or shortened forms are the same, because it gets confusing - for example, both Lalaith and Lalwende go by Lal, and Orophaniel and Orominuialwen both go by Oro (although I haven't seen the former around for a while).
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #1127
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
...impaled his hand an a kitchen knife...
That's awful.
Glad he's doing better. Pass along another sympathy wave from here.

I assign the sound of pointy metal objects scraping over tooth enamel in the dentist's office. It's almost worse than the achy, bleeding gums left afterwards. Almost.

But I think dentist visits in general have already been assigned to Mordor.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #1128
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

A sympathetic pat on the back from here, Oromin.

Anyways, I conassign the number e. As if integrals aren't hard enough - it has to pop in and complicate things even further!
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #1129
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'm going to give a sympathetic smile-and-nod combo so as not to flaunt my pretty and uninjured hands.

I like e, Lhuna, it's useful!

I assign that ability your parents have to make you feel guilty, no matter how old you are or what they're talking about.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #1130
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hope your dad is doing ok Oromin, that's just nasty.

Jenny, I assign you, you like maths!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #1131
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I too must speak out in defense of the number e. Whilst it is annoying and difficult to learn how to integrate it and differentiate it, I'm sure it is very useful...

Come on! There must be some use for it!

Ok, maybe not.

I assign being given stupid amounts of work when we should be revising.

Also, the fact that only one person came uninvited to my chess club today.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #1132
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign making such a nice and useful letter as "e" into a number.

I also assign getting a CD from the library but opening the case at home to see that the wrong CD is inside. I wanted Pachelbel -- if I wanted performances of Scarlatti on classical guitar, that's what I would have looked for. *pout*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #1133
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
I assign to Mordor the fact that the stool I sit on while at my computer has lost a few screws and a rung, turning any visit to the Barrow-downs into a perilous balancing act.

I also assign the awful banners my school has hung everywhere declaring such overused statements as "Best students, best teachers, best school!", and even "Believe in yourself!", and in bright neon colors to boot.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #1134
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

I love you, Jenny, but I think you'll make a good cameo for ATM2. (Not that I have any authority with regards to that matter...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
I too must speak out in defense of the number e. Whilst it is annoying and difficult to learn how to integrate it and differentiate it, I'm sure it is very useful...
Ugh. Don't get me started.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #1135
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the blasted cost of plane tickets. This is a girl that has a deep-rooted need to travel this summer and is very put out at how pricey it's going to be.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 AM   #1136
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign shopping trips that end up in crying dressing-room confessionals, not to mention drawn-out battles between yourself and your body.

I assign racks of beautiful clothes that don't fit, the gap between the second two buttons in every blouse in the store, and the lines the best you can find leave on your skin.

I assign the thickness of my ankles and the roundness of my face. I assign the salads that don't help and the pastas that my husband loves. I assign my bad left knee and my bad right ankle. I assign the out-of-breath wheezing at the top of a small hill. I assign my image in the mirror and my bathroom scale.

What is it about women that no matter how we look to others, we can so rarely look in the mirror and see someone beautiful? My husband tells me I'm gorgeous and desirable, but I look at myself and don't believe him. My daddy blamed the pill, and mentioned that my mother looked just like that when she was pregnant. I'm not pregnant.

I assign the fact that my mother and father return to Indiana today. I love it down here, I think most of you know that. But sometimes...sometimes I just want to go home and be near my family. Today I want to go home.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #1137
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Vertigo. I was carrying a load of heavy bags into the bus station lastnight and vertigo hit me like a truck sending me staggering into one of the barriers which I had to cling onto until davem rescued me and the customer service people got us a taxi. Then I slept 12 hours solid and have been unable to raise my head from a prone position for much longer than about 20 minutes all day long, and have spent all day lying on the settee watching rubbish on telly. On top of that I have constant nausea, a headache and a stiff neck. Probably all from carrying two litres of Ribena in my rucksack until my shoulder blades felt like they were going to come apart.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #1138
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Ice cream trucks. With their annoying, repetitive jingles that play all summer long without change, get stuck in your head, and drive you to insanity. And I've heard enough stories about them that I wouldn't ever buy ice cream from one anyway.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #1139
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I assign having to park my car on the street at 20th and South after circling in a half hour search for open spaces, then walk all the way to Rittenhouse Square.

Granted, it's only half a mile and I usually walk about 5 miles a day (or did before my annoying schedule took over my life ). But trying to do it in heels while carrying a very heavy viola case was a bit painful.

Right. And I'll assign parallel parking too. I don't like it.

And performance related nerves. I'm fine once I'm onstage (performance went well), but before going out I'm so nervous that my hands shake. Not good for playing long, smooth bow notes.

Oh well. It was for a good cause. I didn't count since I'm not in charge of organizing the concert, but my eyeball estimate of the donations jar looked like we raised about $400 to $500 (concert was for Lou Gehrig's disease research).
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #1140
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'll go with...finals. Though I'm sure they've already been assigned before, then can stand being assigned twice. Or three times, for that matter.

More importantly, I assign not being adiquaitely prepared.

The only redeeming thing about finals is the fact that you can look at them and say, "All I have to do is survive for three days, and then I will be through. Never agian will I have to cram, or at least never again in three months." That is a bit reasuring.

Also, I assign distractions, such as friends, CoD, yes, the Downs, band practice, work, and Stephen Ambross. They belong there for a week, and then they can come back.

Lastly, I assign myself, for allowing myself to suffer from such an accute case of procrastination.

Now, down to business...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #1141
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign having written an entire long character outline and discovering that some time within the past few weeks, as you've not looked at it recently due to spring break, finals week, last week of classes, lots of homework, being homesick, etc (in reverse order, of course)... you lost the whole flipping thing.

It was for Illamatar! I worked hard writing and editing his creation of the world! I just scrolled through my AtM2 information and it's gone.......

Unless LMP saved a copy (I'm not even positive he's read it... can't remember if I sent it to him), I have to rewrite it. Grr....

And I assign being cold and I assign spring rain. I know it's making the leaves unfurl, but... I miss being warm. Horrible tantalizing NY springs! One day sunny and warm enough to go jacket-less, the next raining and shivery.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #1142
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I assign my inability to indulge in a good cry despite desperately wanting to because I have never learned the skill of shedding tears at will and I hate it that the tears come only when I don't want them to and it makes me feel so bad that I can't somehow alleviate whatever heaviness I'm feeling because I can't even cry about it but I think that I was just too confused to cry so I just wanted someone to listen to me and comfort me and although I love my mom dearly and I tell her almost everything she didn't quite seem to fit the bill that time because the person I was looking for was a Downer but that didn't make sense because one the person is a Downer and the waters are vast and the time zones hindering and two I couldn't even understand what was disturbing me so much and I doubt that I could have put it in words so I don't know how I would have been able to let it all out so I ended up just staring morosely at nothing outside the car window and trying to make sense out of nonsense and going back to my pathetic and futile attempts to cry.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:55 AM   #1143
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Lhuna, lots of hugs are winging their way across the Continental US and the Pacific Ocean, just for you. Be patient...they're the warm and fuzzy sort, and they don't travel very fast. But wheeeee...there they go!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #1144
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign the needless renaming of things. The local hospital has renamed the Maternity Unit, "The Birthing Centre" - I assume that it is a dumbing down for the benefit of the "service users" who are taking a break from their secondary education and may not be able to cope with latinate words - unless of course they are anticipating some medical breakthrough that would enable men to give birth and they need a gender neutral name (which would be such a splendid prospect that I'd forgive them!!) but my main gripe is that apart from sounding like something you do to ships, I think that it is a bad move to get too graphic with most medical things. Will the operating theatre become "the Carvery"? And ... well I am sure you can imagine others for yourselves.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #1145
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Will the operating theatre become "the Carvery"?
*grins macabrely*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #1146
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I think it more likely that they're trying to sound more "natural" and less frightening, especially with current trends towards "alternative" and "holistic" medicine.

I work at an Army Hospital...they don't bother with fancy names for anything at all. For example: We actually have a "Psych Ward" with nothing to dress it down at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #1147
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign intense frustration with a friend. It's probably one of the worst feelings; it certainly trumps being frustrated with people whose lives and thoughts are not things with which you are so familiar.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:15 AM   #1148
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I assign pouring milk into your much-longed-for early morning tea and watching it going into flakes and clumps because it has curdled...so not only do you have to make another, but you don't really want it anymore anyway because you feel vaguely queasy...bleurgh.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 AM   #1149
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I assign getting less than one hour warning that you're going to have to give a presentation on a completely different topic than the one you were assigned to the chairman (whose presence you were also not informed of until now) of the medicine department.

I'm just a little angry right now. Ugh.

Time to read up on "embolic transient ischemic attacks."
Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #1150
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Being chastised for not attending something you said you weren't going to attend.

Teachers who presume you'll do stuff just 'cos you're a nerd.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 AM   #1151
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I'm not too sure if these deserve Mordor because they're annoying, or the Shire because they're funny...but since Kath assigned "pronounciation" to Mordor...

I assign the following pronounciations made by my Calculus prof:

1. squared = "squird" (For a moment I thought I was in Bio class the first time I heard it. )
2. the symbol P-nought (or P sub zero) = "peanut"
3. (I'm leaving this here just in case my prof decides that this list needs more items.)

No wonder Calculus class makes me so hungry.

And while I'm at it, I assign my hands' wall climbing-induced shaking because it messes up my handwriting.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #1152
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
I assign...

Boys. Men. Whatever they call themselves.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #1153
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Boys. Men. Whatever they call themselves.
Oh? Do we get the reasoning behind this?

I assign pens that run out when you're halfway through something. Getting partway through a handwritten essay and then having to switch pens just makes it look so messy.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #1154
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Discovering in the car on the way to church that you missed a spot shaving...just BELOW your hemline.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #1155
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

When was the last time I sent registration? Obviously not recently enough. To change it up, I send the upperclassmen who decided it would be a good idea to sign up for the classes I need to fulfill my general requirements. Come on, people! I want to study abroad for a year! I don't have time to deal with your horsing around!

Also, pretentious musicians who try to make me understand what they're talking about. I have limited knowledge of music. I have no desire to increase that knowledge. All I know is that I like music. You are not going to make me appreciate it more. So be quiet.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #1156
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The way the library systems around here work. The library in town is rather small, while 20 minutes farther north there is a huge library (supposedly the "county library") that, because it is not within our library taxing district, I cannot check out books from unless I wanted to pay a $31 fee, which would then expire in a year. And of course the two can't set up some kind of interlibrary loan thing... oh, no.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #1157
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I assign the following pronounciations made by my Calculus prof:

1. squared = "squird" (For a moment I thought I was in Bio class the first time I heard it. )
2. the symbol P-nought (or P sub zero) = "peanut"
3. (I'm leaving this here just in case my prof decides that this list needs more items.)
I would like to add, from my Organic Chem prof last term
1. Envelopship = Envelope shape: It took me a bit to realize that I did not need to look up an "envelopship" on my book.
2. Living group = Leaving group: Since it's ORGANIC chem, something to have to do with "life" is not that random... I was wondering if Carbon, Oxygen, Hidrogen and Nitrogen were living groups but then some of the examples were things that can kill you...

Also I assign the fact of not knowing what a hemline is. When I read Jenny's assignment I was just about to go on a riot as I thought girls did not shave (their faces that is) but then I figured I should check what a hemline is... and lo and behold! It's almost a body-lenght away from a face.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #1158
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I assign people who care to much about the web and admins/mods who abuse their power to Mordor.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #1159
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Unexpected Greek essays on Plato. Farewell sweet Downs, I must go and strive with tedium.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #1160
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

To Mordor I assign Prom season and all the stress thereof: hair appointments, expensive tickets, drama with friends and their boyfriends, my own lack of a boyfriend (which could be conisdered a blessing, actually in the light of some of the drama I've been subjected to), and in general the whole overblown shebang. If it wasn't so much FUN last year when I went, I certainly wouldn't bother.

And while I'm at it I might as well assign the entire age group of guys from junior and senior years for being so darn hard to understand and harder still to ask for a date. Sheesh.

Ok, rant over.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of pronounciations made by chem teachers, let's add this to the book. I know it's just a regional thing but it drives me CRAZY when my Chem teacher pronounces nuclear as "Nukulur", nucleus as "nukulus", etc. It's just one of those things that is so irritating in a small, niggling way that it makes me want to tear my hair out. Ok, maybe not quite that severe as that, but it definitely makes me lose my will to take notes.

Last edited by Azaelia of Willowbottom; 04-27-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Azaelia of Willowbottom is offline   Reply With Quote