The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #41
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best: the song <P>I don't think he has a worst line, so I won't slander a perfectly good one just for the sake of it
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:45 PM   #42
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was amused by Pippin's slurring of the word "sitting" in the line:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>We are sitting here, enjoying some well earned comforts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>but I love both his song and his worry as he looks over the balcony in his and Gandalf's quarters:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't want to be in a battle; but it's worse being on the edge of one I can't escape.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> (I probably messed up the quotes, but I think y'all know what I'm talking about! <P>Somehow, the line<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I won't do it again!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> didn't sit right with me. It sounded like something a child would say when caught at something he did wrong. (His reaction to being separated from Merry, however, is telling enough on Pippin that he has learned something...) I would rather Pippin have said, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If the seven stones were laid out in front of me now, I should close my eyes and put my hands in my pockets!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>But we can't have everything!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #43
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. Let's keep going. I'll give you my vote for Pippin, the final tally for his lines and then set us going with a new character.<P>My favorite Pippin line is "I don't want to be in a battle......"<P>I don't have a worst line for Pip just because I thought he was exellent in this movie.<P><BR>Final Talley:<P>Best:<P>3rd Place with 1 vote each:<P>"...Denathor has gone mad!..." <P>"I won't do it again."<P>"I'll take care of you Merry."<P>"I'm sorry alright."<P>"Is there any hope, Gandalf?"<P><BR>In second place with 2 votes is:<P>"I don't want to be in a battle..."<P>In first place, with 5 votes is:<P>Pippin's Song<P>Worst:<P>In 3rd place with 1 vote is:<P>"I saw Him!"<P>In 2nd place with 2 votes each is:<P>“The salted pork is particularly good.”<P>“I will take care of you Merry.”<BR>In 1st place with 3 votes is:<P>“I won’t do it again.”<P>The next character is ARAGORN!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #44
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn's best line is the Eowyn rejection (about time you stopped leading her on, mate) - "I can't give you what you need" or something like that?<P>Worst line: "for Frodo!" I just thought it was too random, it didn't work.
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:17 AM   #45
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ohhh, let me think <BR>This is hard because his lines did not bother me as much as others.<P>Best:"Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan. My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you, stand, men of the West!"<P>This speech was like a "Yeah!" moment for me I loved it!<P>Worst: "For Frodo" I guess. But it still wasn't as bad as the "Let's hunt some orc" line.<p>[ 4:18 AM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #46
stickifinger
Animated Skeleton

stickifinger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite line from Aragorn in, "My friends, you bow to no one." He lost none of his dignity as king, and showed great humility and graciousness. Only someone secure in himself and who he is can show honor to someone else who deserves it. I liked the speech in front of the Black Gate, too, but bowing to the hobbits showed greater depth of character.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #47
Everlen
Pile O'Bones

Everlen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Best: What say you!<P>I can't pick a worst! His lines are great. but if I had to pick one that was not as good as the rest, "Gondor calls for aid!" but I still like that one! It's funny!
Everlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #48
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

QN_VICTORIA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WORST:You wish now that our places had been exchanged..That I had died, and Boromir lived" ... "YES I DO WISH THAT"<BR> Needs Improvement: Don't..Don't you let go, reach!!<P> I think they could've made the dialougue between Frodo, and Sam a bit better when Sam is trying to pull Frodo from going into the fires of Mordor..don't get me wrong it was good, but I didn't quite feel in the moment, as much as I thought I could've been. Maybe:<BR> Sam:"Don't you even think about letting go!!!, Don't you give up, after we've come so far Mr.Frodo...." or something like that, but a bit more, I don't know I'm not a screenplay expert, <P> What lines do you guyz think that were good, but could've used a bit of <I>improvement</I>??
Old 02-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #49
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I'm not trying at all to short play the screen writters, they are <B>incredible</B> writters!, and deserve all the respect in the world. I'm just putting my input and I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would disagree with me, and I totally embrace that...diversity is what makes the world go 'round!
Old 02-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #50
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

My favourite line or rather speech would be the one in front of the balck gate.<BR>"Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan. My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you, stand, men of the West!"<P>Worst line mmmmmm, I can't really think of one. Maybe "For Frodo."
Old 02-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #51
james_of_y0rkshire

1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><I>You can drink your FANCY ales You can drink them by the flagon......but the only drink for the brave and TRUEEEE...comes from the <B>Green Dragon!! </B> </I> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Best line/Song/Part in the whole movie, aside from the part when Sam Takes a drink from his ale and asks Rosie Cotton to marry him..oh and Aragorn and Arwens reunite..oh and..j/k too many to remember and write
Old 02-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #52
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Best Line: My friends, you bow to no one.<P>Worst Line: This one's harder. I guess it would be the "What say you?" line.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #53
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Best: "Ride, Ride now! Ride to ruin and the world's ending!" Delivered by Theoden/Bernard Hill. Theoden had a lot of great one-liners in TTT and RotK, but that one was stunning, right before the epic charge.<P>Worst: "Oh Sam" one of the many, doesn't matter which. He says that WAY too much for his own good, he's gonna get those blue eyes gouged out soon enough.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #54
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn's best line would have to be "You bow to no one." That was one of my favorite moments of the whole film. Very touching. Aragorn's weakest line would have to be "For Frodo." It actually didn't bother me but I vote for it as his worst because it seems weak after his great speech.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #55
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Please read, or at least skim, the thread before posting, folks. <P>The purpose of this thread, as is clear from the Rose Cotton's first post, is to nominate a best and worst line for each character in turn. The current character is Aragorn. <P>Those who have nominated lines for other characters have clearly not been reading the thread before posting and are off topic.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:22 AM   #56
eomer of the rohirrim

Sting

You're doing the right thing Saucepan, but chances are that some people won't read your post either. <P>Keep up the good work Rose. This is a fine thread. <P>Gorn's worst line was probably "For Frodo!"<P>My vote for best line (because I can't really remember any other good ones) goes to "I do not fear death!"
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #57
King Elessar

Sting

not really a line, but i hated Aragorn's constent saying of "Arwen...." eeeeee<P>But I liked his speech outside the Black Gate, especially "There may come a day, we break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! This day, WE FIGHT!"<P>must be the best speech in the history of Film.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:15 PM   #58
Tasslehoff_55
Pile O'Bones

Tasslehoff_55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Tasslehoff_55 Send a message via AIM to Tasslehoff_55
Sting

"here at the end of all things" and "i lost it" are the two lines i say are realllly good!the worst lines are pretty much "go home sam" and "no,it's you". the way gollum messesaround with frodo is the only reason why he says those lines but it's still very harsh to his friend throughout the entire journey, his companion through thick and thin.
His love for Frodo rose above all other thoughts, and forgetting his peril he cried aloud:"i'm coming, Mr.Frodo!" He ran forward to the crown of the climbing path, and over it. At once the road turned left and plunged steeply down. Sam had crossed into Mordor.
¤§ Tåsslehoff §¤
Tasslehoff_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #59
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

best: For Frodo<P>Worst: What Say You?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #60
QN_Victoria

Sting

Sorry Saucepan man some people have lives, and don't have time to read through other peoples longer than it needs to be thread... j/k... Come on peeple <B>READ!!, AND PAY </B><I>AttENTION!!!!!</I>
Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #61
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Whoa... Queen... easy off the exclamation marks there.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:19 PM   #62
Mithisilien
Haunting Spirit

Mithisilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Calm down people, this is supposed to be fun... right.<P>Best: "My friends...you bow to no one!" This effectively turned on the faucet for me. Not that I hadn't been crying before...I cried from when frodo carried sam *so touching* <P>A close second is his speech. This sounds really, really stupid, but it was cool how he said "...take the heart of me." instead of just 'my heart'. It sounded good. (but whatever ) <P>Worst: "For Frodo." Just ...yeah. Didn't make too much sense.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:47 AM   #63
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Best for Aragorn: I just can't decide between: "My friends, you bow for no one." and "What say you?" I really liked the sound of that last one.<P>Worst line: I've only seen the movie once, and I can't recall anything that annoyed me.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #64
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Sting

Oops...must remember to read fully next time.<P>Best Line for Arry: This day...WE FIGHT! (very Shakespearean, reminiscent of Henry V).<P>Worst Line: For Frodo (not the best battle cry in the world, considering he's talking about a three foot tall person who's probably already dead in a volcano).<p>[ 4:09 PM February 05, 2004: Message edited by: Kransha ]

Old 02-05-2004, 03:13 PM   #65
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

best: the "This day we fight!" speech<P>worst: "for Frodo". silly; too obviously trying to be a tearjerker
Old 02-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #66
Althern
Animated Skeleton

Location: A twin city divided by a great river... must be Osgiliath
Althern has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Best line for Aragorn: the "this day we fight" lines, for want of anything else.<P>Worst: "what does your heart tell you?", from the scene in Meduseld where Gandalf asks Aragorn whether there is any hope for Frodo. How would Aragorn know? And if he can just listen to his heart, then why ask? The whole exchange was clumsy.<P>This probably qualifies as a worst line for Gandalf, but Aragorn did himself no credit for being involved.<p>[ 11:17 AM February 06, 2004: Message edited by: Althern ]
Althern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #67
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Could someone explain why "For Frodo" has been considered one of Arry's worst lines? Yes, it was a tearjerker, but that was what his entire speech was. If that line was corny, then the rest of his speech should be considered corny.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #68
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

Why do so many keep insisting that "For Frodo" is a terrible line? I don't think it's the best, and I hadn't expected it, but I think there's more to it. Remember, right before Sauron is calling to him - "Elessar." He steps forward as if considering, then turns his back and says "For Frodo," with a smile.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>not the best battle cry in the world, considering he's talking about a three foot tall person who's probably already dead in a volcano<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I saw that line as taking everyone back to the real reason they're committing suicide before the Black Gate. It's not about them - it <I>is</I> about Frodo. It's the most they can do for him, improving his chances just that tiny bit. He's the reason they're fighting there instead of sitting in Minas Tirith, waiting for Round Two.<P>Ok, rant over. Now, for me:<P>Best line: "What say you!" He says it several times. It is the first time he acts as a king. He's displaying the strength of mind and force of will to bring others to a decision, even the Dead. He's pressing them for an answer: You can't back down on this. There's no fence to sit on.<P>Worst line: The coronation "speech." I don't even remember the lines, they were so full of nothing. Something about rebuilding this world...That's all very well and good, but as the first king they've had in how many years, I would've hoped he'd be more... nationalistic? More concerned about Gondor. At the least encouraging about the horror they've been through - not just the war, but the Steward's decline. "Rebuild this world" sounds way too modern politically safe - nice and nebulous and hard to hold to.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #69
LuthienNenharma

Sting

Best Line: Well....Its best stated in this avatar: <P>Aragorn,that ROCKED<P>and worst line:....anything Frodo or Sam said...hehe
Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #70
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Sting

I just think, as Frodo-centric as this section represents itself to be, the world is not looking at Frodo. The world looks to Sammath Nuar, not to Frodo. They're not throwing away their lives for the hobbit, they're throwing away their lives for a purpose (though they're really no commiting suicide technically, just hoping to die bravely in distraction form). If it were book-verse, they would be sure that Frodo was dead already, considering the MoV incident. Of course, that might make the line make more sense in contest.<P>Ok, I've reconsidered.<BR>Worst Line: What does your heart tell you?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #71
QN_VICTORIA
Pile O'Bones

Sting

ANOTHER GREAT! LINE: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><I>It is but a shadow and a thought, what you love....I can not give you what you seek...</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> The way Viggo delivers it, and the way Miranda reacts to the line..whooo! it sent shivers down my spin!!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:40 AM   #72
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Aragorn's best line must be
Quote:
My friends, you bow to no-one
THE most moving line in my recent cinematic experiences

Worst Line: most likely
Quote:
What say you?
I honestly think that "For Frodo" isnt that bad. They are not just going to the Black Gate for Frodo. They are doing to create a diversion which will help Frodo save their skins.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #73
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Best/Worst

Best: I liked, at his coronation, his singing. Am I the only one? Close, however, is his speach. (It wasn't however, as good as Bernard's - he is just a phenomenal actor!) I also liked "What say you!" Very tense moment.

Worst: Don't have one. I don't even remember this "For Frodo" line everyone is talking about. Guess I need a refresher course then!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM   #74
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
The thing about Aragorn's lines was that some of them weren't the greatest written lines, like 'For Frodo', but they were well-delivered. Then there were lines that were well-written, but the delivery wasn't as good as I thought it could have been, like 'My friends, you bow to no one.'

So I guess I can't say that For Frodo is the worst, because the delivery is good, and My friends can't be the best, because the delivery ISN'T good.

And then some just annoyed me, like 'You will suffer me!' I didn't think that made sense. And anything he says to Arwen is obviously out, I won't even consider it.

Best line: The first speech in front of the black gates.

Worst line: The coronation speech. That was too sappy even for me. I really don't think of Aragorn as a peace-loving guy. I mean, not that he's war-hungry or anything, but that speech just didn't seem him.

Eh, what do I know?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #75
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Welcome to the Downs, Macphisto

I think the best part was Aragorn's speech outside the black gates, the sword-waving, aggitatedly riding up and down one ending with 'but not this day. This day we fight!" Frankly, after a speech like that, I was quite ready to leap up and fight for him, so I don't know how the Rohirrim and Gondorian soldiers he was actually addressing must have felt!