The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #2161
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I assign Capitalism because it's caused a certain bank takeover which is making us worry about the certainty of our household income.
But without capitalism I wouldn't have an income at all....we can't all work in the public sector....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #2162
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
When the people you live with are all mad at each other. Not just "she forgot to do the dishes AGAIN." Door slamming nobody's talking to each other tangible angst mad.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #2163
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Stupid, evil, rubbish Firefox. I downloaded it last night because I wanted to watch a film and I had to download some codec that only worked with Firefox etc, etc, and now I've got viruses and trojans and security alerts popping up left, right and centre which had never happened before. It's driving me insane. Anything I do to try and make it better only asks me for money ... think it might be time for a trip to the computer shop.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #2164
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Stupid, evil, rubbish Firefox.
That's so strange... I've used Firefox almost exclusively for the past several years and I've never had anything of the like occur.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #2165
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That's so strange... I've used Firefox almost exclusively for the past several years and I've never had anything of the like occur.
Well I wish I had your good luck with it! I don't even know why I did something so stupid. I saw what having that programme did to my sister's computer and yet still thought it was a good idea to put it on my own.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #2166
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Stupid, evil, rubbish Firefox.
You know, after I downloaded FF3, my AVG-Free has caught a damn lot of trojans. And I'm too poor to buy any real antivirus, oh! I just make it a habit to save all my papers in my Yahoo mail, because the important files in my computer are just my papers and my pictures.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #2167
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Yeah everything I couldn't stand to lose is on a memory stick as of last night so I just have to keep that safe now! It's all so irritating though, and to get it fixed is going to cost me money I do not have - so onto the list of things going to Mordor can go being unable to find a job!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #2168
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign those little pimples that grow right on the nostril. Hurts all the time, no matter how small they are.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #2169
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Writer's block and every fool who says it isn't a real affliction.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #2170
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Since no other Finn has done it yet, I'll have to assign the fact that twisted young men keep shooting innocent people for no apparent reason.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #2171
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
The Eye

I second your assignment, A Little Green.

On a far less somber note, I assign spilling whiteout just before work to Mordor. It's very difficult to clean up. I still have some traces of it on my finger.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #2172
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Since no other Finn has done it yet, I'll have to assign the fact that twisted young men keep shooting innocent people for no apparent reason.
that is something rather universal. There are a lot of cover-ups done here about young men and gang-wars in places like Tondo, Manila.

I assign the typhoon Ofel that has made my internet connection crappy, and brought about a brief flashflood and heavy rains just the exact moment I was in line waiting for the jeep home.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #2173
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Apart from the actual deed, which chills me to the bone, I also assign the media coverage of the event to Mordor. By presenting the guy´s own images posing with a gun etc. he gets exactly what he wanted (or at least what I imagine he wanted): fame and front page coverage. For once he is in the limelight and the one everybody is talking about, a thought which is a revenge of sorts I guess in his twisted mind - I imagine him as a disregarded loner.

Although he won´t get to enjoy being famous this sort of media coverage will only make similar insane deeds more likely in the future. Whatever happened to serious journalism?

I also assign faceless bureaucracy to Mordor along with the heavy hand of law striking down on people not deserving it.

On a lighter note I also assign moving to Mordor, and then I mean the process of moving - especially cleaning your old place up - and not moving into a nicer, bigger place with belongs in the Shire.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #2174
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Greenie & skip, I totally agree with you.
I'd also like to assign studying, or alternatively, being tired of studying...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #2175
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign the impending hell week and the mountains of papers and examinations it brings about. And on my birthday I have two exams and a paper due. Off to Mordor! The papers and the exams and the sadistic professors! Bwahaha!

Legal Madness.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #2176
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, like I said, German grammar belongs to Mordor - or at least the cases do. Not the language as a whole by any means, but I'm convinced Germans make up their grammar as they go along.

Also to Mordor:
weighing 60lbs more than you're supposed to, waking up at 4 am every day, heartburn, having blood drawn all the time, and other 3rd trimester fun....

buying a new, expensive pair of shoes for your daughter to wear to school and having her lose them two weeks later...

realistic paper butterfly mobiles brought home from school and hung in the kitchen of someone with severe Lepidopterophobia ... I'd take it down, but I'm afraid to touch it...

and student loans that only come halfway through the semester!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:54 AM   #2177
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, like I said, German grammar belongs to Mordor - or at least the cases do. Not the language as a whole by any means, but I'm convinced Germans make up their grammar as they go along.

Also to Mordor:
weighing 60lbs more than you're supposed to, waking up at 4 am every day, heartburn, having blood drawn all the time, and other 3rd trimester fun....
Oh I can sympathise with that one. I wasn't one of these floaty yoga mums playing whale song to the 'bump', I was more the sort who sat in a flustered heap on the sofa going "Bring me more crunchy nut cornflakes and quickly!"
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #2178
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
floaty yoga mums playing whale song to the 'bump'
I feel like I should probably be able to sing the whale song myself.

*struggles to get off the beach... er, out of her chair*

Hmm... crunchy nut cornflakes. I wonder if we have those here -
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #2179
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Double posting in this thread is sad, I know, but I have to assign the professor who told us three weeks ago we needed to write three responses to each "work" by today, and only clarified yesterday that, in his version of the English language, "work" means chapter, not book.

*types frantically*
Old 09-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #2180
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I feel like I should probably be able to sing the whale song myself.

*struggles to get off the beach... er, out of her chair*

Hmm... crunchy nut cornflakes. I wonder if we have those here -
Be warned, over consumption of crunchy nut cornflakes and ice cold milk (and probably also green tea, haribos and mango - I normally hate mango, why?) results in 11lb 4oz babies.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #2181
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I don't yet assign German cases to Mordor, but I assign gender. Makes me go crazy and wish to whack my professor with a broken chair leg. Which reminds me, our final exam on my level-2 German is bis morgen früh... scary.

I assign to Mordor that librarian and the photocopier at the College of Music today, who refused to entertain me despite being first in line just because I come from the Arts and Letters, letting the students of CoM first just because they're wonderful performers or such... maybe I should suggest that in our library and photocopy center we ban altogether students from the CoM?

Legal Madness.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #2182
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have a feeling I do this every year so sorry

Seasonal affective disorder... It is pouring with rain, I feel miserable, my bones ache, I am comfort eating and my hair is doing that scary curly thing it does in reaction to rainwater. Oh yes and I have just sighted the first mince pies of the season.

Please can I hibernate? Or emigrate... just to get away from the endless damp greyness of an English winter and shops starting Christmas on 1st October.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #2183
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Endless dark grey skies, interspersed with rain.

edit: I somehow managed to cross-post with Mith- don't ask me how
Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #2184
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being constantly tired despite sleeping more than enough.

Cramps.

Mood swings.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #2185
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Being constantly tired despite sleeping more than enough.
I assign not being tired despite not sleeping enough, and consequently, being tired at the moments when it's not appropriate.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #2186
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Mood swings.
I have a horrible urge to post something like "Agan's mood swings" but that would be rather evil, wouldn't it? (Besides, assigning them to Mordor would be overreacting for my part...)

I would like to assign being increasingly slow in getting things done. It's both laziness and a sort of perfectionism - it's a dreadful combination, really.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #2187
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Being born a girl (well, just today, and maybe this time next month).

An exam on post-colonial critical theory on my birthday, precious!

Two big papers due the day after my birthday. My, I wish to be Gollum tomorrow and strangle my professors and hack their accounts so that I can just write a 1.0 on my transcript.

And the fact that I couldn't overdose on coffee because of my hyperacidity. Now, of all times that I need to stay awake despite the boringness of Edward Said! Oh, all of you off to Mordor!

Legal Madness.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #2188
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Losssssst thingsssssessssss. Ssssssssssssssssss.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #2189
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Having a cold that's not serious enough to count as "sick"/"ill" but still is horrible and causes headaches and light-headedness. For 3 weeks. More annoying than anything else.

Last edited by Eönwë; 10-06-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #2190
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Having a bad cold that's not serious enough to count as "sick"/"ill" but still is horrible and causes headaches and light-headedness. For 3 weeks.
Shouldn't you be seeking help now, Eonwe?

I assign Edward Said for starting Orientalism, to Mordor, and may he rot there for all eternity. Throw in Daddy Karl (Marx) as well. And all those intellectuals, who are the cause of my pain.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #2191
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
I assign Edward Said for starting Orientalism, to Mordor, and may he rot there for all eternity. Throw in Daddy Karl (Marx) as well. And all those intellectuals, who are the cause of my pain.
That just hurts

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #2192
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
That just hurts
Aww, Rune. Maybe after my exam I'll throw Daddy Karl back to Isengard. But not right now. He belongs to Mordor right now. For all his lovely ideas, which I have to study in relation to Said, Bhabba, those people whose names I can't pronounce.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #2193
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Having to get up and function when you'd rather be lingering in your very warm and invited bed, enjoying that hazy delirious quality tangentially associated with napping.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #2194
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I have a horrible urge to post something like "Agan's mood swings" but that would be rather evil, wouldn't it?
Yes. I would hate you for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Being born a girl (well, just today, and maybe this time next month).
Only "this time next month"?
Add there PMS when you're angry, moody and annoyed with everything and everyone twice as much as you would normally be for about two weeks a month. Hey, that's half my life!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #2195
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Add there PMS when you're angry, moody and annoyed with everything and everyone twice as much as you would normally be for about two weeks a month. Hey, that's half my life!
Unfortunately the family and the boyfriend say that I am able to contain my being evil during these... periods. That, or I am just evil all my life. Bwahaha.

I assign to Mordor my own mother not remembering our birthday, preciousss.

Legal Madness.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #2196
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Not forgetting the tearfulness, and sugar cravings and myriad other minor annoyances.

And it is a big fat lie that it gets better as you get older - it doesn't. Evening primrose oil helps but I keep forgetting to take it and remain feral

Now how long, do you reckon it will be before a male ventures back on to this thread in the face of overwhelming rampant female hormones ... mwahahahaha

Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #2197
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Not forgetting the tearfulness, and sugar cravings and myriad other minor annoyances.
Salt cravings. The sudden revelation that everybody in your life secretly hates you but is simply too polite to say anything about it.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #2198
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Salt cravings. The sudden revelation that everybody in your life secretly hates you but is simply too polite to say anything about it.
Are you sure it isn't PMS...? now THAT is worth assigning to Mordor.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #2199
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Being scheduled for a one-hour chance to do a presentation on your year's work, getting there late because of your own stupid fault, and having gotten there late, half your audience needs to leave early: and so suddenly instead of a one-hour presentation, your year's work is now down-to-ten-minutes.Go.

Ssssssssssss.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #2200
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naw I remember an old Alanis Morissette song about that one, Mark...

Oh I assign living in an unfortunate wreck of a country that knows only MCR for foreign music. Not that our musical heritage sucks (the Filipino classics are classic for a good reason!) but the contemporary is crap. Why can't Tarja invest here! That I am not limited to asking my dad or my other relatives get me the cds for birthday or Christmas...

*sulks in a corner away from kids with smudged eyeliners and very weird hair*

Legal Madness.