The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #201
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thanks for the list Mac.

I can play Gimli. That's okay by me.

I can try Gandalf if needed. There are pro's and con's in me doing it. A good thing is that my voice is a bit lower and sounds older so it might fit Gandalf in the company. A bad thing is that I'm no native speaker and Gandalf has quite long monologues every now and then - probably only the narrator will need to read more. One solution to the to the problem: those clips I have read Gandalf this far have been just rough first takes without any corrections. In practise I can rehearse them and take them all over again, even a sentence at the time when we start recording, so many things can be fixed. Second problem: Gandalf's monologues are oftentimes quite boring to read as he basically lectures with the old-wise-man tone. Lommy & Greenie say I read him with the "speacial voice" I always get on when reading them a bedtimestory... Possible solution to the problem: I try to find a new angle to approach Gandalf to make it more fun to me and less boring for you to listen (not making it into a comedy to be sure but somehow more lively or edgy or whatever).

So who else do we have?
Matthew
Macalaure
Legate
Oddwen
Nerwen
Lommy
Greenie
Volo

How about:
Brinn (when are you home and able to make recordings?)
Gwath (have you any chance of getting to a place with a decent mike or to lend one?)
Rikae (do you have enough to do in carrying "the other" or do you have time to join?)

If Gwath gets a mike we'll have six male voices. That could nicely cover: Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Elrond and Bilbo or Legolas. Or if someone takes two roles then both of them.

That would leave us with five parts: the narrator, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin with four to six female voices. Or if we wish to make a female legolas (Nerwen might be good in that - gah. Sorry I need to send you her clip as well...) then six parts.

Others I have forgotten? Eönwë? I haven't heard about him in a long time and he hasn't sent me a clip either even if I PM'd him my email a few weeks ago.

So any further ideas?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #202
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I should have a mic when I am home in two weeks. I can't attest to it's quality, but we'll give it a shot.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #203
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I agree that Frodo should be voiced by somebody of the male persuasion if at all possible...but hey, whatever works out.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #204
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
It seems to me that there are plenty of female voices already, and besides, my microphone has been acting up lately.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #205
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can play Legolas, if you like.

However, in case we decide on a male voice for Frodo, I would also be interested in playing him instead.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #206
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've now heard Nerwie's voice. (I hope Nog sends the clip to you others soon.) I'm quite sure she'd make a wonderful Legolas (not too girly, I assure you) - unless we have Galadriel, because then she must be her.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #207
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
*takes a bow*

And yes, I know I have a rather boyish-sounding voice– it's why I opted in, since we don't have enough actual males.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #208
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Eönwë? I haven't heard about him in a long time and he hasn't sent me a clip either even if I PM'd him my email a few weeks ago.
I am very sorry Nogrod. I have been too busy to fix my microphone. All my SATs and stuff will be over in a week or two, so by then I can join.

But probably you'll have to do this scene without me. Sorry.

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-01-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #209
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Nerwen, your voice was wonderful! I could only gasp.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #210
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay. I made a bit more optimistic version of my theme to the Ring Goes South. The new theme should begin in the point when the fellowship notices the sun shining in the morning when they have come to the border of Hollin. It's only a variation of the earlier one but it has more major chords and more variation...

You can find it from here.

To make a contrast the first gloomy part which starts the scene (leaving Rivendell) is included - taking about 1.20 minutes - but then it changes to the more positive theme (sun comes up). So the beginning is there only for contrast.

The new "optimistic" recording is pretty hastily made and thence not "flawless" (or thoughtfully mastered / mixed) but I thought I'd like to share the basic idea with you so that you could say whether that works in principle or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I have been too busy to fix my microphone. All my SATs and stuff will be over in a week or two, so by then I can join.

But probably you'll have to do this scene without me. Sorry.
No way! Do you think this will be done in a week or two?

I'd make a careful estimate that we might have something ready in July - August or something... so just tell who you'd like to be and we'll take that into account.

After we decide on the roles everyone needs to record their parts and after that it will take a while to add & build them together, to add the music & possible sound effects & stuff...
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #211
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ring

Since the casting seems to get nowhere, I and Nogrod decided to make a suggestion. Unfortunately, we had no idea about some roles. Anyway, we have a few suggestions:

narrator - Oddwen
Legolas - Nerwen
Gimli - Nogrod
Boromir - Matthew
Sam - Brinniel
Merry - Lommy
Pippin - Greenie

After these, it seems less clear to us...

Gwath or Legate could be Aragorn.
Mac or Volo could be Frodo.
Nogrod could be Bilbo - he will send you an old clip of him playing the hobbit soon.
Elrond could be played by Nerwen, Mac, Gwath or Legate.

And someone has to be Gandalf. But who?

Any comments? Preferences? Suggestions? Approvals? Objections?

Everybody, feel free to make cast suggestions of your own - either for some particular role or the whole cast. Let's get this discussion rolling.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #212
Volo

I could be Gandalf... What do people think?

But I decided today that I deffinitely want to be the Nazgul and other such creatures!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #213
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I could be Gandalf... What do people think?
Why not. You should try. Noggie says that you can come to his place to make the recording.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #214
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I see the proposal as fine, although I would prefer Nog as Gandalf, as he sounds to me the best as him. But now that Volo proposed himself as Gandalf... I don't know much about Volo's voice, so I really can't tell, if you think he'd be a good Gandalf, then go on.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #215
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I see the proposal as fine, although I would prefer Nog as Gandalf, as he sounds to me the best as him. But now that Volo proposed himself as Gandalf... I don't know much about Volo's voice, so I really can't tell, if you think he'd be a good Gandalf, then go on.
Well, let's say that Noggie would rather be Gimli and the musician. Sure, I myself am ok with anybody taking Gandalf role and would even prefer if somebody did - just that I could do it.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #216
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Here's the latest... even if the first clip of the first one is a bit older (it just got edited away from the first e-mails as the size of the total file would have become too large and most of you have never heard it).

So first of all there is the clip with me playing Bilbo. It is followed by Lommy & Greenie playing a dialogue between Merry & Pip. You can here them from here.

Secondly there is a trial to see how the mood changes within the "Ring goes south". The beginning of the clip has the "gloomy" music but then changes to the more positive one when the sun comes forwards in the narration. Do not pay heed to the badly made narration... just consider the message and the music... It is found here.

Thirdly, I tried to enclose a clip from Nerwen. Sadly I have not had the chance to do anything about it as it's a video-clip - I did indeed encounter some problems to hear it in the first place myself. Bringing it into my audio-software-program resulted in buzzes and hisses and all that electric mayhem you can imagine... So next time you send something please Nerwen record it in audio, not video... My Xanga site wouldn't accept that file neither as video or audio... so it was a dead end on all fronts. I managed to listen to it for sure but sharing it was just not in my scope... (I can pass it via email to anyone to try and open oneself though).
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #217
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I actually was going to request to narrate, since I'm not really comfortable acting...plus I've tried pitch-shifting my voice down and I sound like my Mom, which doesn't help.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #218
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I actually was going to request to narrate, since I'm not really comfortable acting...
Great!

Just hold your horses while you narrate. In the clip you sent us a long ago you were speaking like the devil himself was at yout tail. You have a nice voice so let it do the work and read slowly, easily, enjoying every word you speak.

And just as an advice to anyone doing these things: pauses are good as they can be shortened or deleted but speaking too fast binding sentences together is bad as then there is no way of editing them away from each other.

That becomes more acute with the requirement of adding music on the background where one would need to cut the narration / dialogue to fit with the music. Music has beats that can't be fooled but the timing of a speech can be edited... So just record loosely. The gaps can be edited away.

Good to hear that Oddwen!

You're welcome to give Gandalf a try Volo. I think you might manage it but it will be a task indeed. Let's try it.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #219
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Quote:
Secondly there is a trial to see how the mood changes within the "Ring goes south". The beginning of the clip has the "gloomy" music but then changes to the more positive one when the sun comes forwards in the narration. Do not pay heed to the badly made narration... just consider the message and the music... It is found here.
Nogrod- I love the music! It sounds amazing! Great job.

I would like to hear Volo's voice as Gandalf, because obviously such a role needs careful consideration. Let's hear it Volo!

EDIT:: Nogrod, do you have a recording of Nerwen's voice? I would like to hear it and I couldn't find a link...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #220
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Great!

Just hold your horses while you narrate. In the clip you sent us a long ago you were speaking like the devil himself was at yout tail. You have a nice voice so let it do the work and read slowly, easily, enjoying every word you speak.
Thanks! But how do you know he wasn't?

I'll see if I can get a bit from The Ring Goes South up within the next few days.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #221
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think I'm going to, if I have time, record and post some samples where I put some effort to acting at last... so that you have some more backup material for choices...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #222
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I like Nogrod's music, too. And I don't think it ever was too gloomy in the first place.

And I just re-listened to the Merry and Pippin dialogue. Greenie is amazing and I have amazignly contagious yawns. But it really made me laugh because it sounds like regular quarreling between me and Greenie...

PS. Looking at the Xanga page, I see Nogrod has decided to follow Farael's example and start calling me Loomy...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #223
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And I just re-listened to the Merry and Pippin dialogue. Greenie is amazing and I have amazignly contagious yawns. But it really made me laugh because it sounds like regular quarreling between me and Greenie...
Quite. I just listened to it and it's fantastic And Nog, the music is very good, too! I really like it. Very well done and well connected!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #224
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think Nogrod should definitely play both, Gimli and Bilbo (unless we have people left who don't get to play anybody). He's doing them both magnificent, and the two characters interact only very little.

Lommy and Lily made a quite marvellous Merry and Pippin. The only slight problem I had was telling the two apart. You have rather similar voices, I have to say.

Nogrod, I think the music is excellent, too (definitely not too gloomy for this scene), but don't you think it's a little too loud? I had problems understanding your voice now and then.

I'm looking forward to finally hearing Nerwen, and also very much to Volo's version of Gandalf and more of Legate. I'm soon (using a very loose definition of "soon" here) going to send a few more takes of mine. I had a cold recently and my voice went bad, but now I'm ok again.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #225
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
Nogrod, I think the music is excellent, too (definitely not too gloomy for this scene), but don't you think it's a little too loud? I had problems understanding your voice now and then.
Thanks. And sure the clips I've made had the intention of showing what the music might be. In the "final" version the music should be more in the background and the narrator hopefully articulates English better than I do...

Hoping to hear your new takes - as well as Legate's... and anyone.

Let's get this started!

PS. McCaber, do you have any ideas how the beginning of the "Ring goes south" in Rivendell might sound like?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #226
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Lommy and Lily made a quite marvellous Merry and Pippin. The only slight problem I had was telling the two apart. You have rather similar voices, I have to say.
I know. Even my best friends used to mix up our voices on the phone... But we can try to do something about it - in that recording we were talking in voices very close to our normal ones, but I think we'd be able to alter them a little.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #227
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Well, I have just sent some clips to Nogrod. I recorded some Aragorn in Hollin and also Elrond. I realised three things: a) I have no idea how should I act Elrond. I think he should be rather "soft" but not sure about the outcome... b) The Fellowship is composed of such dully "normal" characters! I would know really well how to act types like Bill Ferny could be, but these Main Heroes are just too "normal" that I can't lay myself fully into the acting. c) I never realised that Aragorn has sentences which can be so easily misquoted, like: "I have a sense of watchfulness, and of fear, that I have never had here before." Try to speak it over several times. I couldn't stop myself mispronouncing it as "I have a sense of watchfulness and of fear that I have never had beer before"
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #228
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Brinn (when are you home and able to make recordings?)
Well, I'm coming home on the 8th. As for when I can make recordings? Hmm...that's a good question...

Here's the good news: I managed to get into my first audio production course (a prerequisite to sound design) for next semester. Which means I'll have access to all sorts of cool audio equipment and studios...even if it's not for school projects (as long as it's not during finals).

The bad news: I don't start up that semester until September. Until then, I'll be sitting around at home far away from any cool equipment. It'd be an honour to play Sam and I would do it, but I don't think I have any decent mikes. Though I will be sure to look around and see what my options are when I go home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
The only slight problem I had was telling the two apart.
Indeed. I did manage to eventually figure out who was who, but it took me awhile. I didn't realise how much you guys sound alike until I hear the voices without the faces...

Noggie, would it be possible to get the audio clip of Nerwen and the earlier ones (before Journey in the Dark) by email? I would very much like to have them.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #229
Volo

Since I don't have a microphone (although there might be one around the house somewhere, but of poor quality and I don't have a program to record in anyway) I tried Gandalf out on my own and came to the conclution that I can't use my voice in a way it sounds normal, wise and old at the same time. I'm dropping off Gandalf and taking up Frodo if it's alright. Me being the youngest male actor I think Frodo is somehow more natural than Gandalf. I could act much better if I wouldn't have to strain my voice and try pronoucing so many wierd names.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #230
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Here are the clips of Legate.

I tried once again but Nerwen's clips couldn't be uploaded neither in video or audio.

I'll send them to everyone I have an e-mail address as they are. I hope you can listen to them. I managed to listen to them but somehow the internet sites do not wish to upload them.

So please Nerwen, next time just basic wav.-files if possible? Your voice is great and would really do well in the fellowship!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #231
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Btw. if you Volo have time feel free to visit my place to try Gandalf. It should not pend on a fact that you have no good mike as you can easily visit me to try / do it...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #232
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

That sounds quite promising, Legate, but actually, your Aragorn doesn't happen to fit my mental image too well - not commanding enough. But something in between your Aragorn and your Gandalf shout would pretty much fit my mental image of Gandalf! What do the others think?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #233
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I thought Legate was very good as Elrond.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #234
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I've recorded and uploaded two clips - one from "The Ring Goes South", and a favorite passage of mine from "The Great River".

I played a bit with the audio settings for my microphone, and don't hear as much as the background hum, but then again I didn't normalize the volume - it may just be hiding. In RGS I was ignoring the cardinal rule of recording (talk past the mike, don't talk into it), hence the spitting and ph-ing.

Edit: Yup, the hum is still there. Darn.

Last edited by Oddwen; 05-05-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #235
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
So please Nerwen, next time just basic wav.-files if possible
Sure– and I'm sorry about the file not loading. I don't know why though, because it's just a basic Quicktime.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #236
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
That sounds quite promising, Legate, but actually, your Aragorn doesn't happen to fit my mental image too well - not commanding enough. But something in between your Aragorn and your Gandalf shout would pretty much fit my mental image of Gandalf! What do the others think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I thought Legate was very good as Elrond.
Thank you. Anyway I see this will be up to some voting... Concerning Aragorn, that's actually what I don't imagine him like: "commanding", as you say. He's just a Ranger, as Frodo said, and especially in this part he seems rather quiet and dark, so to say. As for Gandalf, I think my voice is not "old enough" for him, but then, who of us would be... but mainly the horde of lines Anyway I could try it - but depends on what others think.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #237
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Concerning Aragorn, that's actually what I don't imagine him like: "commanding", as you say. He's just a Ranger, as Frodo said, and especially in this part he seems rather quiet and dark, so to say.
Hmm, maybe "commanding" wasn't the right word. Of course he doesn't order people around (yet). What I rather meant was a kind of natural authority, one that, within the fellowship, nobody except him and Gandalf has. But unlike Gandalf, Aragorn rarely has long monologues or loses his temper. He doesn't have to explain or shout in order to have people listen to him. Yet his authority is always clearly felt when reading, even already at this point, I think. I missed that a little.

Quote:
As for Gandalf, I think my voice is not "old enough" for him, but then, who of us would be... but mainly the horde of lines Anyway I could try it - but depends on what others think.
Gandalf actually only appears in rather few chapters, but when he does, he's usually hard to silence.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #238
Volo

Hmhmm... I liked the way Legate spoke out Gandalf's line. If it's not too hard for you, Leggie, would you do him?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #239
Volo

Quote:
Btw. if you Volo have time feel free to visit my place to try Gandalf. It should not pend on a fact that you have no good mike as you can easily visit me to try / do it...
Thanks, but I honestly think that even editing my voice wouldn't make a Gandalf. There are others who could take the role, aren't there? I think I'd be a much better Frodo. I could visit you - when would it be ok? - to try out though.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #240
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Hmm, maybe "commanding" wasn't the right word. Of course he doesn't order people around (yet). What I rather meant was a kind of natural authority, one that, within the fellowship, nobody except him and Gandalf has. But unlike Gandalf, Aragorn rarely has long monologues or loses his temper. He doesn't have to explain or shout in order to have people listen to him. Yet his authority is always clearly felt when reading, even already at this point, I think. I missed that a little.
Yes, I know what you mean, but I simply have another view on Aragorn: here he seems like a silent and pessimistic person to me And no "natural leadership" is shining through at these moments (maybe when he is a little happy after finishing the wolves, or when says to the others that they should follow a leader when they have one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Hmhmm... I liked the way Legate spoke out Gandalf's line. If it's not too hard for you, Leggie, would you do him?
Well if people agree on it, I could. I would actually find it more interesting to make than the others, as it features some interesting way of acting. But only if others are comfortable with it and my youthlike voice doesn't seem disturbing there.