Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A Ride to the Dark Side--Discussion Thread

This is a short game to keep us occupied over the holidays. It should not last longer than one to two weeks.

Bethberry invites you to play her game...

Basic Storyline: Horses, some of the finest in all Rohan, have been stolen right out of the stable at The White Horse Inn. Ćlfritha, who owns some of them and was taking them to new buyers, gathers a group of people at the Inn to track down the horse thieves and recapture the horses. However, these are no ordinary horse thieves; the story provides yet another example of the dark times that are come upon Rohan in the years just before The War of the Ring.

As a chase, the purpose of the story is simple: to recover the horses, deal the thieves a resounding defeat, and return with the animals to The White Horse. It is possible this aim could be itself defeated. And there will be deaths along the way.

Starting Location: The White Horse Inn, Edoras.

Likely destination: Perhaps we will be involved in a pursuit to Barad-Dur or elsewhere in Mordor, but eventually we will return to The White Horse.

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 3009.

ii) The story itself or plot covers no more than one month.

iii) This game requires a time commitment of one to two weeks from the game owner and the major players. This game is intended to provide some fun during the holiday break.

Characters:

The characters fall into two groups: the pursuers and the pursued or perpetrators.

The pursuers are Men (and women) of the Mark and travellers in The White Horse Inn, people who know themselves and their business. Horse stealing is not treated lightly in Rohan; this is a posse, although a posse resolute and determined rather than angry, vengeful, or vindictive.

Main pursuers: Ćlfritha (Bethberry), the Merchant at the Inn (Anglachel). Other positions available are two Riders of Rohan and any interested patrons at The White Horse. Gamers who have not posted at The Horse are also welcome to submit characters on the discussion thread.

The pursued are the horses themselves and the thieves, Easterlings. Perpetrators are Minions of the Dark Lord, the Nazgul themselves, more Easterlings, the inevitable orcs I suppose.

Character types which would not belong are faint-hearted beauties, plucky but inexperienced lads and lasses, superpowered characters (except for the Nazgul). This isn't a Shire picnic.

The game owner will play Ćlfritha. This game provides a backstory for her. She is a character who will soon join Gilthalion's and Thenamir's Rohan RPG ; her full character bio is posted on the Rohan RPG Discussion thread.

To join the game, post your character backstory/bio here and your first post, as a kind of audition. Help me understand what your character is doing during Ćlfritha's first post. I'm partial to good writing which shows some thought, flair and creativity. I'll post acceptances here and then you can put your first post up on the game thread.

======

This game starts off with this post at The White Horse Inn:

A muffled neigh and many whinnies caught Ćlfritha's ear in the midst of all the festivities at The White Horse. Despite the inky darkness of the sky and the biting cold, she grabbed a large lantern and exited promptly to the stables, where she found the main doors swinging open, the stalls empty, the stable boy, Heórrend, unconscious.

Dropping to her knees, she held him, wiped blood from the large dark welt at the back of his head, and shook him gently. Relief softened her shock as he returned to consciousness. He was one of the few people in Edoras with whom she had forged any kind of acquaintance beyond simple formalities and her concern was honestly felt. His club foot had rendered him unfit for duty as a Rider and often shunned by other more able-bodied men, but he was one of the most knowledgable horsemen in Edoras despite his young age.

"Men," he choked, "many men, Easterlings dressed as us. They wanted the horses." Ćlfritha nodded silently, her face in the lantern light an impassive stone of fury.

Woozy and unstable, he climbed to his feet but fell against her. Cradling him, one of her arms around his shoulder, one of his around hers, Ćlfritha led him back to the Inn, to Bethberry's quiet alcove, where the Innkeeper immediately rang for aid and a call to arms.

Sickened and fearful, Ćlfritha strode into the main hall. "Good people of Rohan and guests of the Mark, we are abused and assaulted within our very gates. Our horses have been stolen, four of them mine, those of others as well. One of our own has been wounded. Who will join me in pursuit to recover the horses?"

===========

The game then moves to the first post in the RPG thread:

Dismay, confusion, anger, helplessness reigned. Many feet trod over the stable floor, the street outside, more with incomprehension than with clear purpose. Finally, a strong voice cried out over the milling crowd. It was Anglachel, calling them to order and purpose, with quick results. Then old Eomund spoke up.

"I am too old to ride with you in pursuit, but I know your family, Ćlfritha, and would help you all I can. Take these two horses, Nithal and Doric. It looks like the thieves took the back alley and thence to the gate. The gatekeeper, too, has been attacked. He yet lies unconscious."

"I am appalled to hear that more harm is done. These are brutal thieves and arrogant in their daring. My family will remember your aid, Eomund," spoke a stern Ćlfritha, her face full of stoic resolve.

Another voice spoke up, but of lighter timbre. It was Bethberry.

"I cannot leave the Inn, but I can offer you provisions. Here, saddle bags of biscuits, dried fruits, meats, canteens. Blankets also." Ćlfritha nodded her thanks, wordlessly.

Other voices called out offering arms, ropes, spare tack, ointments and unguents for horse care, provisions. All of Edoras had been awakened, even the Golden Hall, which sent two Riders and four horses before dawn had creased the night sky. Ćlfritha and Anglachel spoke quietly with them. Quickly, a posse was forming for the pursuit.

============

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-27-2002, 02:02 AM   #2
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

May I join fair lady? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My character:

Ulfeg: An easterling with a nasty sneer and equally unpleasant disposition. Recently his high ranking status was removed by the tribal elders, but he has plans to regain this status... in some way. Ulfeg is not very bright, but he is cunning in the ways of deceit. He's blinded by ambition, and has an affinity towards strong brew and stronger women.

Ulfeg is not ignorant, nor is he well educated, he's "street smart" and learned in the ways of the world. This gets him into a bit of trouble at times when attempting to go up against that which he knows nothing of.

He stands 5'11" with a rough mustache that reaches a few inches past his chin. He has long raven hair with brushes of gray here and there, which he ties in a large, thick ponytail. His love of brew shows in his belly, which protrudes a bit over his belt, but not by much. Ulfeg is hairy. Despite his girth, he can get up and go if needs be, but prefers to use his cunning and not his feet.

Should I post an audition? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:35 AM   #3
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name- Rhana
Age- 26
Description- 5'7" tall, long black hair and dark brown eyes. She is usually bruised from beatings, since she is "only a small woman among savage men"... Her clothes are dark and when it is cold, she's wearing a large fur-coat which she stole from a sleeping man. Missing part of her fourth finger (ring-finger) on her left hand.
Personality- A tempered, sadistic Easterling, with a tongue much too quick and sharp for her own good
Skills- A skilled thief and a good drinker and gambler

Background: She was born in a roving band of brigands and thieves and, since her mother died giving birth to her, was raised by the entire group which she refers to as "her fathers" since no one can tell exactly who of them is her real father. There are several possibilities.

She only carries one weapon, her long knife which she is not afraid to use if she gets in trouble (which she often does) especially not if people have their backs to her.

For hire to who pays the most, which is why she is now stealing horses in Rohan

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-27-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

My dear Orofacion,

So good to see you!

Knowing your work and writing so well, I look forward keenly to Ulfeg joining the Ride to the Dark Side, but don't delay us the pleasure of reading your post, good sir. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 12-27-2002, 08:27 AM   #5
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Altough it will be sad to have to kill Maika I want to be a rider of Rohan. You sayd that two riders came on horses and brought 2 extra's. It will be an honor if I cauld be one of them.

name:Hading
outfit:He wears a chainmail that covers him from neck till knees,brown pant's, a light plate male on his body, kneecap's, arm caps, a bow and arrow's on his back, a sword and a combat knife.
description:He is send out from the Golden Hall's to aid Elfritha in her quest to get her horses back. He's quickluy angered when meeting horse thieves and has no intention's to let one of them life. On his horse Hunding he makes a lethal team shooting while moving and not holding back when melee combat occures.

Well here it is.

*sigh*

Man I never knew making a character would be that hard. Thank you Maika.

Anyway here it is Bb hope you like it. If some adjustments are to be made just tell me.

Greetings

Anuion
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I have already met Rhana, Maika and certainly look forward to knowing more of her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your place is saved and I look forward to your edit of the post.

I hope we can start in a day or so.

Bethberry
Old 12-27-2002, 08:45 AM   #7
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry about that double post people, sometimes my computer has a mind of it's own.
(In the meanwhile I accendently pressed enter.)

Anyway if you'd accept me Bb, let me know. Ill make my firsth post as soon as I can.

Oh and by the way I have forgotten to describe my character.

He has brown hair till his shoulders and blue eye's. He is about 1.84 meters high(sorry I don't know feet measures) and is normally buildt.(Not an increddible Hulk but not Steve Erkel either. Let's say something like Eomir)

I guess that's a wrap for Hading. Hope to here from you soon.

Greetings

Anuion

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
________
UHWH

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hello there, Helkahothion,

Because you sent me a PM before you posted your character here, I have replied to you in PM. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Bethberry
Old 12-27-2002, 01:12 PM   #9
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Character

Name – Malienna
Age – 36
Personality - Hates injustice, but is a hasty person, and will jump to conclusions.
So while she’s working for good, it often causes many problems along the way. However, she does try and help friends in need, and is loyal.
Skills - Good rider – she has a horse named Naroch - handy with a sword. Being a woman and not of nobility, her parents were against her learning to fight, but she would sneak out and practise with her brothers and sisters. She is capable of defending herself and fighting.
Appearance – Long dark hair, usually tied back. Some chain mail, but she doesn’t like being encumbered by much armour. She has a sword, and two short knives by her side. She has a helmet, but often doesn’t wear it.

First Post

Malienna stood up as Aelfritha made the announcement. Her first fear was for her own horse, Naroch, until she remembered he had been stabled elsewhere for the night. That feeling of worry now over, she turned her thought to the matter in hand. Surely others would be feeling the worry of the loss of a horse, and her first task was to help them. Surely she could not sit in the Inn allowing the others to go, when she could help?

“Aelfritha, I will go with you. I will help in any way I can,” Malienna spoke to the woman, who merely nodded, and continued her preparations. Malienna slipped up to her room, placed a few items of clothing and herbs for healing in her bag, for they could be useful, though she had little skill. She put on her chainmail, but feeling selfconscious, she fastened another top over it. With her sword by her side, she went back downstairs.

She slipped outside and asked a stableboy to make ready her horse before they would leave. This done, she stepped back into the Inn to see who else was accompanying them on this quest.

~Varda

NB - Malienna is perfectly happy to die. Death scenes sound fun [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 12-27-2002, 03:36 PM   #10
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hmmm...so many women. I was planning on playing a woman as well, as I have been men for quite a few of my last RPG's. You don't mind one more woman, do you?

Name: Izręnna
Race: a woman of the Rohirrim
Physical Description: She is about 5'3" (pretty short), and fairly small in stature. She is not really "pretty" but has a cute, fiery look about her. She has fiery red hair that she keeps back in a braid and bright green eyes. She generally wears simple armor.
"Profession" (of sorts): Her small, light frame allows her to be very light on a horse's back, so she is used quite frequently to carry information.
Personality: Izręnna is quite perky and is very optimistic. She is not tremendously bright, but she tries, and can usually think her way out of situations without having to try to use what little strength she has. She is the type of person that always wears a smile on her face. She is not loud and boisterous, but is very visible when there is a conversation going on.
Brief History: She is the daughter of Karabar and Zamîn. Karabar was a Rider of the Mark. He was not very famous, but he was a loyal rider. Zamîn was a fiery woman, much like her daughter. She was the daughter of one of the captains of the Rohirrim. Izręnna always wanted to be an warrior of Rohan, but, as she was female and was not large, could not. She worked hard, however, to become a great rider and, because of her stature, was light on the horse's back. She had tremendous balance, as her center of gravity is fairly low. She is unmarried, although she hopes to find a mate someday.
Weapon: While she was training to ride, she also worked very hard on her bowmanship. She is pretty good with a bow and arrows, but, as she is small, she cannot do hand-to-hand combat.

First Post
Izręnna did not even think before she grabbed her small, light pack.

"I will come!" she shouted, barely hearing her voice over the uproar.

She imagined what Karabar, her father, would say of her offer. She would get a tremendous lecture when she arrived home, that was certain.

She found the person who had made the announcement.

"I have my own horse," she said, "And, as I am quite light, my horse can hold another if it is needed."

"Thank you for your offer," Ćlfritha said, looking down at the small figure. Ćlfritha was obviously busy with other things as well, so Izręnna slipped away.

She looked around, in the confusion, and decided to make her way toward the door.

"I will be outside," she said to the bustling Ćlfritha as she quietly exited the Inn with her baggage.

She quietly moved in the shadows towards the stable. She led the grey horse out of his stall, and hefted the saddle onto his back. She quickly bridled the willing horse, and led him in front of the Inn, waiting for the group to assemble...

Is that okay? I can change it in any way if you so desire...
Old 12-27-2002, 03:47 PM   #11
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

Awww, Vanima. Couldn't you at least have been an EVIL woman? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I almost feel alone here... How come nobody wants to be the "enemy"?

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:04 PM   #12
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

I've been a bad guy a lot in my current RPG's too, actually...been fun...I get to die...I played Morluinien, an evil Elven witch, and her enchanted henchman, Bran...

I hope you don't mind, Bethberry, that I kind of set up Izręnna a bit...going back a few minutes, just to get her into the Inn and introduced so she didn't pop out of thin air into the Inn...
Old 12-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #13
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oro, great to have a chance to write with you again. I think this time around I'll be able to take a more active role.

All, look forward to posting with each of you and I expect this journey to be a good experience for all involved.

Anglachel, being a well-traveled merchant, is quite familiar with the roads we are about to take. Hence, he will help to guide the posse once we depart the more familiar lands of Rohan. I'll develop this idea in my first post which should come shortly, as I imagine we will be departing soon.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2002, 04:41 PM   #14
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Quote:
I almost feel alone here... How come nobody wants to be the "enemy"?
*Ahem* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry,

I would of course be glad to add my post, but I would like to wait to see if someone would take up the leadership of the robbers. This way would be more constructive to my character's introduction I believe. Of course, if no one will take the role, then I'll post accordingly. Glad to be a part of the fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anglachel,

I as well look forward to the writing process. Here's to a intruiging game! Cheers

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 12-27-2002, 05:18 PM   #15
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

I meant that in general terms, Oro. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] So far it's only you and me.

Which leads me to your comment about leadership. Since I doubt this group would be lead by a woman AND taken into consideration that Rhana is just going for the money, I automatically stepped back.
And since you've stated that Ulfeg is NOT the leader, I'm sort of waiting for someone to take that part.

Another thing that would be really nice to know is, exactly how many people are we in that group?
It's pretty difficult to make a first post without knowing what I'm dealing with.

Oro (and any other "baddies" who might be joining), any ideas, suggestions, requests... Feel free to PM me any time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 PM   #16
Deorlin
Animated Skeleton

Deorlin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry,
I'd like to join your game. Here is my character:

Deorlin: rider of the Mark, newly arrived back in Rohan from a few months of travelling all over Middle Earth as messenger/emissary for King Theoden, trying to assess the various races/kingdoms/peoples reaction to the rumors of Sauron's rise in the East. He comes from a fairly important family of the Westfold, his father being Deorwine, First Knight to the King. He's about 20 and just your typical Rohirrim - a good rider and fighter, rough, simple, straightforward.

game role: Deorlin will have just arrived at the white horse, stopping briefly for a drink and to catch up on news of Rohan before he makes his way to Meduseld to give his reports to Theoden. His own horse was stabled at the inn and has been stolen. Even the pressing need to report to the king can't override his loyalty to his horse, so Deorlin is beside himself to get after the theives and recover him.

First Post:

Deorlin was just finishing his ale and wiping his mustache across the back of his hand when Aelfritha came running into the inn, carrying her grim news of the stolen horses. He was on his feet in an instant, making for the door. All was confusion as the inn patrons talked loudly amongst themselves or joined the stream of horse owners, and the merely curious, going to see which beasts were missing. Deorlin swore under his breath as he pushed his way out into the darkness of the yard and thence to the stables. If Frey was gone . . . he wouldn't even allow himself to finish the thought.

A few short strides brought him to the stall where he had tended to his friend no more than 30 minutes before. Like all Rohirrim, to Deorlin his horse was more than just a means of travel, or beast of burden - he was a friend, a true and loyal companion. More like a beloved family member than a four legged servant, or pet even. The bond formed between rider and mount was almost indescribable. In Frey, Deorlin would place his utmost trust, and there was no value in gold or jewels that could be placed on him. So without question, whenever they stopped for a respite from their journeying, Deorlin always tended to Frey's needs before his own. And he had left his friend here in this stall, with a bucket of fresh water and a manger of sweet smelling hay. And now . . .

Empty! Deorlin's heart pounded in his chest, his blood throbbing in his temples. No! This can not be! he thought wildly. I must get to Theoden.I must report on all that I have witnessed and heard these last few months. But, Frey . . . where have they taken him? What fate awaits him? I can not abandon him . . . but my duty to the king!

Torn between his two conflicting loyalties, Deorlin hesitated a mere moment before deciding what he must do. Resolutely he strode back to the inn, pushing his way through the noisy crowd. Standing tall, even amongst his fellow Rohirrim, he soon spotted Aelfritha and called out to her.

"Here am I, Deorlin, son of Deorwine, rider of the Mark, newly come back to our beloved land of Rohan. My horse, my companion, Frey, has been taken. If there is anyone who can lend me the use of a mount, I will ride with you and not return unless it is with my Frey, and the others which have been taken. Say you now, is there a horse I can borrow?"

While waiting for the woman's reply, the thought flashed through Deorlin's mind - these were dark days indeed when strangers came boldly into the very heart of Rohan, undetected, and stole good horse right out from under the noses of their people. The time was drawing near, very near, when all must look to their hearts and their sword arm to fight for what they held most dear, be it horse, family or country. there was no doubt in his own mind, the east was rising, and swiftly too!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:33 PM   #17
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Writers on the Mark, get ready, set, go...

Varda, Malienna is welcome. Should it be her doom to die, we will see she dies a noble death.

Vanima, I will accept Izręnna as the final female, in part because she is Rohirrim and not your beloved elves, but on this condition: that you work on writing longer prose posts with less dialogue. You are ready to stretch yourself.

Deorlin, your character is most welcome. I would offer one suggestion, though: Are you sure you want to use your nick for your character's name?

Helkahothion, I have an alternative plan for you. Check your PMs

Maika and Oro, perhaps between the two of you in PM, you could 'create' the gang of horse thieves, carrying several secondary or minor characters.

Any future gamers must post characters as either the pursued or the perpetrators, or as males.

The game will start tomorrow, with a post from Anglachel. Feel free to make your first posts in any order, as long as they are appropriately interactive. Remember not to make any great claims for other gamer's characters that are not consistent with the owner's conception of the character.

Since this is a short game, feel free to make more than one post a day if you wish, although there is no rush to do so. Don't double post, though!

Regular characters and gamers for A Ride to the Dark Side are these (there will be cameo appearances by others):

Ćlfritha (Bethberry)
The Merchant (Anglachel)
Malienna (Varda)
Izręnna (Vanima)
Deorlin (Deorlin)

Ulfeg (Orofacion)
Rhana (Maika)

One final note: Please remember to disable your signatures for all of your posts on the RPG thread. (You will have to do this for every post.)

Tomorrow, then...

Bethberry
Old 12-27-2002, 10:41 PM   #18
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sadbh has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry said:

Quote:
Any future gamers must post characters either as the pursued or the perpertrators, or as males.
Just to clear this up- would it be alright if I were an Easterling female? I did post my bio and first post once, and than I edited it. (This is the second edit.)

I won't post my bio again in this post, but if its okay to play an Easterling female, which is the role I had in mind anyways, I'll write another message with the information and audition in it.

Sorry, thanks. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Sadbh ]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:52 AM   #19
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

In all modesty, [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I'd like to take on the part of the Easterling leader. Let me know if you need anything different, or would like me in a different part, or whatever.

Name; Gormel
Race; Dunlending
Position; Leader of the horse theives
Bio; Gormel is a huge, hairy, bestial man. Not a lover of subtlety. He is not intelligent, but he knows what he likes and he takes it. Thus far, his strength has always carried him through his numerous mistakes, and he retains leadership of the band in the old-fashioned way; by killing anyone who challenges him.

I look forward to dying a horrible death, either at the hands of the Forgoil, or my own henchmen!

First post;

The air was thick and warm. The moon shone coldly down, reflecting off of the Forgoil's dwelling-places, and giving the whole scene an chill. Gormel bared his teeth in an animalistic smile as he loped through the streets of Edoras, confident in his band to quiet any disturbance his appearance might create. Indeed, a sharply indrawn breath betrayed the presence of one of the Strawheads, out for an evening stroll perhaps, but it was quickly followed by a spinning blade, and a choked sigh. Gormel never paused.

He reached the Inn. Golden light spilled from its windows, and the sounds of merrymaking floated forth into the night. Gormel paused at the entrance to the stable, and motioned with his free hand. Two figures, cloaked and hooded, slipped past him into the stable. Gormel allowed himself a noisy exhalation of breath then, although his sharp eyes never ceased roving the landscape. This was the most dangerous part of the operation, he knew. One discordant sound from the four-legs, and the cursed Northerners would stream from the building like a kicked anthill.

Rhana would be inside now, blindfolding the beasts and persuading them to come quietly, while Bhurthnin, his loyal second, stood by to dispatch any beast that caused trouble. Better to arrive a few horses short than be caught in the act, he thought, and showed his teeth in what could be taken for a smile, by a blind man. A blind man facing the wrong way, on a moonless night. Maybe.

A soft nicker brought his attention back where it belonged. Rhana was leading the horses out, silent as a wisp of cloud. She had swathed their hooves in cloth. Gormel nodded approvingly. For a foreign mercenary, and a woman to boot, she had her uses. Several other "uses" flickered through his dark mind, and he grinned again.

He caught Bhurthnin's eye, and raised one eyebrow. His second showed his blade, clean of blood but for a spot on the hilt, and Gormel nodded again, less happily. He was displeased that the man had merely clubbed whoever had been in the stable, and would deal with it later, but he couldn't waste time finishing the job properly now. The time for secrecy was nearly at an end, then it would be a race back across the Riddermark.

Gathering his band around him, he led them back through the streets of Edoras, out the gate, and down the hill into the night.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-28-2002, 10:08 AM   #20
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

I don't mind you being the leader, Garen.
Ah, I knew Rhana would become popular in a group of men... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] But watch your back!
Old 12-28-2002, 12:20 PM   #21
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm curious to know: what is a cameo apearence?
________
The Apprentice Forum

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Tremendous opening posts, Anglachel, Deorlin, and Varda! You have set a fine standard for quality, interest, and creativity.

Sadbh, given the times of our posts, I can understand that you were composing as I posted. Thus, I'll consider your female Easterling. Post her bio and first post here and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Garen Liborian, welcome indeed. A great first post. Leader of the horse thieves is fine with me and it appears to fit in with Oro's and Maika's plans as well. Make your first post on the game as soon as you can.

Helkahothion, I've sent you a PM and more will come on the cameo role. A cameo means posting for a limited time in a single, dramatic episode rather than as a long-run regular character.

And to clarify: Any future characters need to be male, either Easterling or Rohirrim; I would entertain arguments about dwarves and elves. Horses might also make for imaginative characters, of either gender. Or gelded. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 12-29-2002, 12:50 AM   #23
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Name: Sadiya
Age: In her old community, it was considered tempting fate to count your years. She seems to be around her early to mid twenties.
Appearence: She is dark of hair and eyes, though neither could be called 'black', exactly. Her skin is darkened from the sun, and she has two jade tatoos on her cheekbones. She is slim, from both malnutrition and a harsh lifestyle.
Personality: She is quiet but strong. She knows better than to complain. Harsh living conditions have made her thrifty and bright, which her husband often says is overly pessimistic and unnescesary.
Bio: She was born in a nomadic camp in the northern part of Rhun. Times were hard, and when she was around twenty, her family gave her as a wife to one of the men in the group for eight sacks of grain. She recently had her first child, a girl.

I know, I know. What a tremendously dramatic person I am! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

First Post-

Sadiya shrugged the tattered buckskin further up her shoulder, rubbing her hands together for warmth. In front of her, on the close cropped grass lay a tightly woven wicker basket. She reached down and cradled the basket gently staring at the small, soft, face inside. The child had been given a draught of herbs only hours before to give her sleep, lest one of the straw-heads from Edoras hear the cries of a child outside the city walls. She tucked another soft rag around the child's head, to supplement the lining of rabbit fur. It was a cold night, but a fire would have been immensley impratical, given the circumstances.

The woman knew that the band faced a long night and morning, and that they would travel hard to put distance between them and the straw heads. The only regret she had was for her child, for she had been raised a nomad, and was very used to travelling many, many hours with no food, fire, or rest.

The girl, sighing in her sleep, reached out a small fist and tugged at the end of her mother's braid. As Sadiya reached out to place her arm back into the warmth of the basketthe great gate groaned ever so faintly. She turned to see the group and stood, strapping the small cradle to her back. She helped coax the gate gently open. As the men and horses filtered from the city of Edoras, her husband grabbed her by the elbow and steered her away from the others.

"I hope the brat didn't cry?" He shook her as he spoke.

"No, she didn't wake at all!" Sadiya whispered fervently. Her throat pained her as she spoke. The man eyed her critically, but let go of her arm. As the group of horse thieves moved away from the city, she followed nervously, and cautiously. Her husband kept her at his side at all times, and she had learned by now that any wrong move would result in a cuff around the ear, or slap in the face. She sighed and hung her head, breath soft white in the cold air.

Yes, I am melodramatic, how did you know?

I hope this works. If you want a tougher person (which I hope you don't because my brain is still hurting from making this character) I can do that, too. Although this character is tough, just not ruthless.

O Well.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:58 AM   #24
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Sadbh,

Sadiya will provide an intriguing perspective on the story. "tough but not ruthless" is a good description also. Welcome and start posting!

Bethberry
Old 12-29-2002, 05:09 AM   #25
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Something unexpected has come up, and I have to go to Hong Kong for a day or two. I don't know whether I'll have a computer to post on or not while I'm there, but I thought I'd let everyone know.

Any adjustments you need to make are OK by me, including killing or taking control of my character.

If I don't post in the next day or two, I guess you can just count me out of this RPG.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Old 12-29-2002, 01:47 PM   #26
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Sorry, I just realized something-
I'll have to make some changes to my first post because Garen LiLorian had posted that-

Quote:
The air was thick and warm.
And I was talking about how cold it was. I'll post as soon as I can make the adjustments. Oops. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just wondering, did the Easterlings arrive on horses as well?

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Sadbh ]
Old 12-29-2002, 02:12 PM   #27
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Actually, the weather is cold; winter season is upon Rohan, Sadbh, so we will change the other reference, to be consistent with the statements from The White Horse. Keep yours as it was. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 12-29-2002, 02:49 PM   #28
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

*Salutes*

Will do, Bethberry. In keeping with the less dialogue, I changed my first post to keep the same idea, but to only have one piece of outward speech.

And sorry about so much dialogue. I write a lot of screenplays when I am bored, so it has just become habit to say "he says:" "she says:" and so on. I'll try to be better though!

And: I'm not really attached to Elves in particular, it's just that I use Menelduliniel and Estelarion for Inns and Parties as they are the first two characters I ever created. And, as they have a history with Gandalf, when he has RPG's, he sometimes asks me to bring them along. *Smiles, flattered*
Old 12-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Nice work, Vanima!

Let's let Oro and Maika carry Garin's character Gormel for a bit. If he cannot return, then perhaps the game will have a natural casaulty.

And speaking of Oro and Maika, where are they? Have we lost them to PM planning? Tsk, tsk.

And just so everyone knows, Helkahotion, better known as Anurion, will be playing cameo roles for us along the way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 12-29-2002, 03:03 PM   #30
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hmm, lala, Im had the same problem Bethberry, with finding bad guys; there seems to be a distinct lack of them recently! Therefore, I feel it my duty...Sadbh, melodrama, my dear friend, is the only way!

How about...

Name: Kane
Race: Easterling
Description: Kane is a more quiet member of the eaterling party and, unlike Dunlending, subteltly is a high point of his. The easterling is sneaky without appearing so (we are NOT talking Grima Wormtongue here!) and little love is lost between himself and Dunlending. He can hold himself well in a fight, with numerous throwing knives and small daggers concealed about his dark clothing; just so you know where you stand, a long sword hangs in a sheath on his back. He is not unfeeling though and watches all; he feels for Sadiya and wishes to be able to get closer to her.
Kane has dark skin, very tanned. His eyes are also dark, black almost and very direct.

Like it? I hope to be accepted. See Beth, I do play others than elves! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
lol
aman
Old 12-29-2002, 03:10 PM   #31
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Sting

Actually, I was waiting for Sadbh's post to be moved into the RPG, since I had planned to pick it up from there.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Oro, so I really don't know what's going on there.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #32
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thanks,Bethberry. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And my post is now in the main thread, hot off the key-board.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:35 PM   #33
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

What! Has Oro stood Rhana up, Maika? That cad. Don't wait for him, but post for your group as you see fit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Fair enough that you waited. Helkahothion will also be posting, but I wouldn't think your post will depend on his.

Aman, my dear, I am quite happy to see you disabuse me of my wrongful notions. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Some day I will return the favour and post for you as an elf. (Since Susan is playing with you, I didn't think you would want me along too.)Since you are the owner of a game at Rohan, I won't ask you to post your first post here; simply go ahead and join the game. Welcome and happy posting.

Once all our first posts are in, Ćfritha or Anglachel will lead us out.

Beware, the journey could prove more dangerous than you yet expect.

Bethberry

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-29-2002, 03:46 PM   #34
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Yeah, well it's definitely not the first time I make a guy disappear... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 06:49 PM   #35
Sadbh
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Wow, Rhana, you're so polite. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Better watch it, or it might not be one of the Rohirrim that *ahem* does away with you. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mean person! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 09:50 PM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Sadbh, that is a very nice first post. I particularly like your description of the cold!

Now, for some directions. Here is a large map of Edoras to Barad-dűr, detailed

And here is the same area, but less detailed: less detailed map

Using the speeds of travel given in Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth, I have calculated that it would take riders of Rohan horses over six days to ride to Barad-dűr. No horse can gallop nonstop for six to eight hours; one to two hours is the max, and then they need to walk or trot for several hours.

Rohan horses are faster than Dunlending horses, however, and I assume that includes Easterling horses also, so we have a slight edge.
As long as nothing delays us.

Bethberry

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 12-30-2002, 01:29 AM   #37
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

Quote:
As long as nothing delays us.
Which shows exactly why I'm not the leader. With my skills in map-reading we would probably reach Barad-dur some time next year, game-time... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Yes Sadbh, isn't Rhana just lovable? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 12-30-2002, 02:58 AM   #38
Lugbúrz
Haunting Spirit

Lugbúrz has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Bethberry,

I have at last been able to peruse both the threads.

I will be delighted to play a part, somewhat in accordance with your suggestions.

Hopefully this shall be the chance to enter into a covenant with the Barrow Downs, finally (with overdue apologies to Birdland). Thank you for the prospective opening. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*bows*

All,

The Eye is upon this pernicious quest.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:53 AM   #39
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hm facinating quite facinating.

Since I will do a cameo and will be killed I would graceously give the honor to Maika.
*give's a little wink to Maika*
Hahaha Gues the love story isnn't going to happen and you will backstab me like you so cleverly read in the future. hmmm maybe your the new profecy jezus?.........But then again maybe not [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Greetings,

Anuion
________
List of suzuki motorcycles history

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:17 AM   #40
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

The Eye

The socalled "lovestory" you're refering to, only exists in your head Anuion! Like I told you.

Welcome aboard all you "new" people. Amy it's darn good to see you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]