The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting If you were to replace...

If you were to include the gift giving scene in FOTR but had to take out another scene in the movie what would it be?<P>I'd take ot either the long bit on Anduin or the lurrrve scene. But thats just me.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:54 PM   #2
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd definatly take out the whole, "If you want him, come and claim him!" I don't know why but Liv Tyler just GETS ON MY NERVES! She speaks like every word she has to say takes all the air in her lungs! GRRR! <calms down> Yeah it shows how she gets him to Rivendell, but i think they could have reworked it or found a way to take it out...
Old 09-22-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I personally would take out that whole Shards of Narsil thing. They completely abandoned it, so it didn't fit. I know it's vital in the book, but they dropped the concept in the movie, so it could go.<P>Then I'd put Tom Bombadil and Galadriel's gifts back in. I missed them! And maybe add more conflict between Legolas and Gimli. They're supposed to be complete opposites, but they mostly just ignore each other.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'd take out the whole love scene with Aragorn and Arwen. I mean, I kinda agree with Elven Mistress. Liv Tyler gets on my last nerve! And, I think it showed enough of how the two people were in love when they showed Arwen getting ready to take off with Frodo. They didn't need that whole scene about her giving her neclace away. They could have said real quick that she was going to become immortal at the end or something. <P>Anyway, I have blabbed way too long about Liv Tyler. I would have taken that scene out, or...well...I liked all the others. I would have just taken that scene out.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #5
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The shards of Narsil scene needs to be in because the who thing has not been abondened. In TTT arwen apparntly brings the re-forged sword to Aragorn so that scene was needed to show that it still exists!
Old 09-22-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I would have added about an hour to the movie and put the parts that weren't in in.That way you could leave the rest the way it is.That would make it A little long,but it would be worth it,I think.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:36 PM   #7
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Oh, I have a definite and unwavering answer for this!<P>I'd <B>certainly</B> take out the scene where Gandalf and Saruman are "battling". Ugh, especially the part where Gandalf is spinning around on the ground. I simply loathe that entire part of the movie.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could live without the wizard duel also. Mmmm, I like the love scene! I think Sauruman looking into the Palantir more, getting all weird would be better than the "way of pain!" The cave troll scene could have taken a few cuts, That early part with Legolas on it's back reminded me of those old "dyno-rama" movies (Jason and the Argonauts). I didn't really need that "Lurtz" fellow, but I must admit to getting a kick out of that scene where the Urak Hai are painting themselves up with the white hands. cool!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #9
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dűm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

The scene with Lurtz hatching from a pod needed to go. I'll never understand why they had to have that whole orc-human cross thing in the first place.<P>If I could only replace it with one cut scene it wouldn't be the gift giving, though. It would have been the drinking song in the Prancing Pony. I just saw a tape of the Academy Awards (might have been an after party, not sure) where Sean, Billy, and Elijah start singing it. It was hilarious.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:34 PM   #10
keverzwijn
Pile O'Bones

keverzwijn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok, you can't really take a scene out now cuz the plot would suffer under it. You wouldn't understand the movie. It would be like, Hey how did that happen?

"Oh, there's my underwear"
keverzwijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:12 PM   #11
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I beg to differ, <B>keverzwijn</B>.<P>There are scenes that I feel would not effect the understanding of the FOTR plot if they were removed. <P>(I know these scenes happened in the book, but if the movie had to be made shorter, they could have been taken out.) The watcher of the water in front of Moria could have been taken out of the movie, and I bet people would've still understood the plot. The giant octopus thing just adds a bit to the danger of the quest. Its an added action scene that could have been removed.<P>Also, the scene of the Fellowship journeying over Cahadras (the blizzard-whipping mountain) could have been removed. As I see it, it did nothing to add to the vital points of the plot. Sure, it did show that the company had to journey under the mountain instead of over it. However - earlier, when Gimli tried to persuade Gandalf to go through the Mines of Moria, they could have done the whole "let the Ring Bearer decide" thing then.<P>See what I'm getting at? Not every scene in the movie, to me, was truly necessary.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:52 PM   #12
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Eruwen</B>: "They could have said real quick that she was going to become immortal at the end or something."<P>Aragorn is concerned about a elven maid being confronted by 9 Nazgul...that doesn't necessarily indicate that there was something more than a platonic relationship. They have that scnee and then, all of the sudden, they want to get married later on? While Aragorn was in Rivendell, there needed to be a scene with them together...they wouldn't ignore each other.<P>Anyway, she becomes immortal at the end? She doesn't...she chooses to be a mortal, just like her father and uncle were allowed to choose if they were mortal or not, given their half-elven ancestry.<p>[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 09-25-2002, 01:59 PM   #13
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

DarkRose...the point was to show how dangerous and undesirable it was for the Fellowship to pass through Moria. Gandalf knew of the danger there, and was only willing to let it happen if they were left with no other choices. Frodo knew not of the dangers there, but I'm sure Gandalf informed him of what it was like, so as long as there was some other option, they would try it first. He was aware, at least, of Bilbo's encounter with goblins in the caverns underneath the Misty Mountains.<P>Had they gone straight to Moria, viewers would've asked if it was the only way...why wouldn't there be a way over the mountains? That would've been fine if Peter Jackson created Middle-earth and said there wasn't, but he didn't, and there was.<p>[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 09-26-2002, 03:05 PM   #14
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree wth DarkRose i think they should have cut the whole Gandalf & Saruman fighting.they could have found another way to get Gandalf trapped.I mean its not like the movie needs more action!
Old 09-28-2002, 10:05 AM   #15
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LURVE SCENE LURVE SCENE LURVE SCENE!!!<P>or anything with liv in it
Old 09-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Art thou insane Dark Rose? Take out the Watcher? I loved that part! But yes, get thee gone oh foul wizard duel scene! (I should leave the forum now, I'm starting to talk weird...)
Old 09-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #17
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would take out a lot of the fighting, and I would have killed off Boromir faster.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:10 PM   #18
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i can not really choose a scene because i dont like the scenes when arwen sais if you want him come and claim him, i dont like when gandalf and sauroman is fighting and i dont like the thing with lurz
Old 09-28-2002, 06:05 PM   #19
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I wouldn't have had the orcs in Moria climbing down the walls - since when can they do that?! Also, I think they made Pippin kind of stupid. I mean, he was cute and everything, but stupid ("Great! Where are we going?). The Saurman/Gandalf fight also. At some points, Galdalf looked like he was dancing!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:39 PM   #20
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Anyway, she becomes immortal at the end? She doesn't...she chooses to be a mortal, just like her father and uncle were allowed to choose if they were mortal or not, given their half-elven ancestry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, Legalos, I was saying that they could have told the viewers that at the end of the movie. Not that she would BECOME immortal at the end. And I know she chooses. I was just saying that they could have told us she chose that later on instead of taking up that space in the film. <P>But I still don't change my opinion. Really, I think it would have been better without Liv. They could have chosen another girl. <P>And I agree that they should have taken out the battle with Gandalf and Saruman. I mean, has anyone seen the animated version? They could have done it like they did in that movie.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:18 AM   #21
Dimaldaeon
Wight

Dimaldaeon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Dimaldaeon Send a message via AIM to Dimaldaeon
Sting

Gandalf and Saruman break-dancing could definately go.

You're not drunk if you can still hold onto a blade of grass to stop yourself from falling off the face of the Earth
Dimaldaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 08:47 AM   #22
Alatŕriell

Sting

I think I would take out the bit in Moria when they have to leap across the gap in the stairs... it was really great, but it wasn't in the book. Either that or I'd cut out some of the cave troll bit.