The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien Your Tolkien Spoils.

I bought The Children of Hurin two days ago and thought that I would like to know what other BDers had acquired that is Tolkien related. Such as the newest edition to my Tolkien collection (Which my books now outnumber my age) And if these new items had any significance to them...

Basically what I am trying to say is,

What are your Tolkien spoils and how did you acquire them?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My preciousssssssssssss

Although I am quite hoarder and a collector of Mathoms in other areas I wouldn't be particularly covetous of say a first edition set because essentially the book is the same - I am replacing my paperbacks as I can though simply because I wear them out too quickly. However although I was later able to buy the full recordings, I still have the cassette of the radio version music my mother, through great trouble managed to get for me when I was very young and which I played almost constantly until the dreadful day when the tape player chewed it up. I bodged repair and rather pathetically kept the section of tape that I had had to cut out of the player. I don't think I could ever bring myself to throw it away.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Silmarilllion and a few others in hardcover, and a few paperbacks like The Tolkien Reader, etc. But I miss two posters which I once had but got rid of when I left college. the first was the huge poster that was the basis for the cover of my first set of paperbacks:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...Lord_of_-3.jpg

The second was a poster that came from the inside of a magazine (not sure if it was Fangoria, Heavy Metal or something else.) I don't remember the artist either, but the picture was of Old Man Willow and between the branches were images of important scenes from The Fellowship of the Ring. There were (obviously) two more posters to come that I never acquired. I was in college and eating was more important than posters or magazines. That would have been around the year 1979. If anyone has any info on those, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I don't have any "stuff" except the DVDs of P.J.'s movies and the books I mentioned. (by the way, The Silmarillion, and The Book of Lost Tales are both first editions. Doesn't mean much to me, but I know there are a few collectors here on The 'Downs.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I was very happy that my mom got me (I don't know how) a map of Middle-earth, Beleriand, Numenor, and Wilderland for Christmas, they are painted by John Howe and we are going to get them framed and put up on my wall! But I also received they Radio Adaptations for Christmas! (I think my friend helped my mom out on that one) She also got me the first six books in HomE!

What can I say? I'm spoiled...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
I have endless LotR stuff! I don't mean to brag, but I really have a room FULL of Tolkien stuff. I have a showroom china cabinet which houses most of my Tolkien collectibles such as 50+ action figures from the movies, Sideshow Weta statues (Pippin and Legolas), busts (Pippin and Gimli), Pippin's Gondor Helmet, A Gandalf model my father painted for me, the 12-inch Boromir, amongst others. Tons of warhammer little figures. Pewter figures. The Phial of Galadriel. Sword of Boromir, Sword of Theoden, and Sting. Collector's plates. Tons of posters. Of course all the books including Letters, etc., the theatrical and extended movies, the Bakshi movie, all the video games, a ton of cards, LotR on CD, LotR Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit...amongst other things!

Yes I am a collector!

Last edited by MatthewM; 07-29-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Bethberry is right...spoils is not the right word!
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Latest acquisition is the Children of Hurin cd.
Mostly bought because Christopher Lee does
the bulk of the narration (with intro bits by CT).
Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Funnily enough, my Tolkien never spoils.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think you're right - "spoils" is not really the right word! lol.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...let me see. I have all of Tolkien's books in hardback editions, but only two, The Silmarillion and Children of Hurin, are verified first editions (Hurin I bought directly upon release, but the Sil I found in a flea-market for $15). I still have my original dog-earred, coffee-spilled, rag-tag paperbacks all taped together and ready to rain pages at any moment.

The only really interesting collectible I have is a set of 13 marquee placards from the release of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. They were supposed to be destroyed after the movie's run, but a friend who worked at the theater saved them from destruction and gave them to me. They are all appropriately framed and hanging in my library.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread title
Your Tolkien Spoils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Funnily enough, my Tolkien never spoils.
Quote:
I think you're right - "spoils" is not really the right word! lol.
Well now, my spoils are word games, which is a bit of a Tolkienish habit, which I was indulging. After all, what Downer would disagree with calling our booty treasures?

Carry on, me hearties, with your tales of loot and booty and plunder.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Well now, my spoils are word games, which is a bit of a Tolkienish habit, which I was indulging. After all, what Downer would disagree with calling our booty treasures?

Okay, okay! What are your Tolkien treasures, then? Is that better? You silly people! What am I going to do with myself, being picked on like this?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

lol, nobody is picking on you! I like you!

Treasures does sound nicer though
Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 AM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My Tolkien Treasures:

It all started off of course with the LotR trilogy plus The Hobbit. I first read from my mom's books from the 1960s, and she bought me my own copies (the ones with the movie covers) so I wouldn't wear out her's. I must say, my books are pretty worn out by now.

Then I bought The Silmarillion for myself followed by Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (which I haven't finished) and The Lays of Beleriand (which I haven't even started).

A dance teammate gave me Bilbo's Last Song and a past roommate gave me Unfinished Tales as a Christmas present. I was very happy with that gift and have been meaning to get around to reading it...sadly I haven't yet.

My dad also gave me his copy of The Hobbit (or rather, I asked for it), which is an old book printed in the late 1950s (I think) with Tolkien's own illustrations. And then when I was at a book market in Amsterdam, I found a 1st US edition of The Silmarillion. Would've preferred the 1st English edition, but I can't be picky...so I bought it for 15 euro.

That's it so far for the books...I'm ashamed that a few have remained unread in my bookshelf for years. I have too many books to read...

As for other items, I have a really cool framed holographic map of Middle-earth. I remember I was looking for movie poster and found that instead...so much better. I also have a replica of Sting, a miniature of Glamdring, a Nenya replica, and a crystal paperweight of Minas Tirith. I wish I could have more Tolkien related weapons, but unfortunately they're too expensive...
Old 08-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post

I also have a replica of Sting
I want a Sting replica, my wight in training (Little brother) and I have been (rather loudly) hinting that we would like one for Christmas...

I suppose that you could call me spoiled because I have been listening to the radio adaption of LotR, have been reading, and am going to get my maps framed too... Plus as I write this I am on the Barrow-Downs (obviously) while wtching the EE of LotR (currently TTT)!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-03-2008 at 02:49 AM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, I don't have many other than:
  • The LOTR books
  • The hobbit book
  • The Slim
  • The UT
  • The normal movies
  • The EE
  • And some games

Not much, after all.

But I am hoping to actually start getting some Tolkien Treasures...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 AM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post

It depends what sort of booty you're talking about

Anyway, there are altogether too many treasures in our house (literally hundreds of books and toys) and a lot of them are going to have to go into the loft or something soon for fear of crayon attack or being eaten.

Note - a 1st of the Sil is very easy to get and still very cheap, cheaper than a brand new paperback in fact, so buy them while you can as you might as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I first saw Lord of the Rings at a newspaper article comparing HP with it, many years ago. I then pestered my dad, "Papa gusto ko ng libro! Gusto ko, now na!" When I pretended to cry, he promised to buy the book the very next day, plus the Hobbit, which he told me is the prequel. It was the same copy that got confiscated by the nuns back at my former school (I've posted about this story too). Since then I've guarded that copy more jealously than I normally do other books.

Quite a few years ago The Silmarillion is a book you almost can't find at major bookstores, and young as I was I couldn't order through the net, nor could I get my dad to buy it for me. But I pestered him till he got a friend buy me a copy in Singapore. The same happened for UT--"Pa, I can't hope to understand the extent of Tolkien's genius without the Unfinished Tales!" And just a few months ago, I was doodling in the bookstore, sad that my monthly stipend couldn't really afford a one-thousand-peso Children of Hurin book. So I pestered my dad again, and though I'm no longer "cute" as a five year old demanding sweets, I reckon my charm as only daughter worked, for he bought me that, plus a nice shirt I like to think of as having elven-looking embroidery and sandals that went with it.

Perks of being an only daughter! He almost never refuses me books, even if the price is a little out of the budget. So far, I've bought only Sir Gawain on my own; the rest of my Tolkien collection (Sil, UT, LotR, Hobbit, Farmer Giles, and HoME 1-5) are presents for Christmas, my birthday, or just any random day. I still have to pester him enough to get me Letters, I can't find that here in the Philippines

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have all the LotR books and I'm currently buying all the HoME series. Most of my Tolkien spoils are made by me and my brother. We're big into woodworking in our spare time and we've created astounding replicas of most of the swords, axes, shields, spears, ect. from the movies and from the books.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
I have endless LotR stuff! I don't mean to brag, but I really have a room FULL of Tolkien stuff. I have a showroom china cabinet which houses most of my Tolkien collectibles such as 50+ action figures from the movies,
Have you got the Easterling? That's the one that has so far eluded me - I won't pay silly prices and it goes for daft sums on eBay that I can't justify. There are only a handful I haven't yet got that I want - Easterling, Coronation Eowyn, Minas Tirith Guard and the Ranger. I'm not that bothered about all the variants of Orcs (a few are as good as a dozen), but I had to get every variation on Bilbo of course

I'm onto Doctor Who figures now, I can't shake a habit, and I have the excuse of being in toy departments more often now there is the Enting.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I have had my map of Middle-earth framed. It is nice hanging up in my room, I am rather proud of it.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #21
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I've finally bought a copy of the Children of Húrin, and the Tales from the Perilous Realm/Roverandom crossover thing.

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I've finally bought a copy of the Children of Húrin, and the Tales from the Perilous Realm/Roverandom crossover thing.
Congratulations! Tales of the Perilous Realm is one I don't have, unfortunately. Though, come to think of it, I don't really own that many...
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Congratulations! Tales of the Perilous Realm is one I don't have, unfortunately. Though, come to think of it, I don't really own that many...
So what is your full list of Tolkien/ME items then?

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-28-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
So what is your full list of Tolkien/ME items then?
I have LotR and TH (obviously), CoH, The Sil, The Tolkien Reader (I have two copies, one was printed in 1973, before Tolkien died), The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, the first five books of HoME (Two of the First Book of Lost Tales), Maps of Tolkien's Middle-Earth (the one of ME is hanging framed on my wall), the BBC Radio Four Audio Adaptations, um... and I have all three extended edition films. That's it, which seems pretty small compared to what other Downers profess to have. It takes up only one of my book cases (I only have three).
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #25
garm
Pile O'Bones

garm has just left Hobbiton.
Your Tolkien Spoils

I've been collecting books by and about Tolkien for many years now; there isn't much I don't have! And lots of variants of the standards; TH; LotR etc.

Even my collection of Silmarillions goes into double figures... I wonder if there's a cure?

garm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by garm View Post
I wonder if there's a cure?
I certainly hope not, if there is, then there is no good left in this world!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
My latest acquisitions to add to my Tolkien Spoils collection (which alas, is pitifully small) are my One Ring, which TheGreatElvenWarrior gave to me as a birthday present (really! She did, I swears it!) and which I now wear almost everyday, and my vintage edition of The Hobbit, which I got from my English teacher in exchange for another, less-good book. The reason I wanted that particular copy of The Hobbit so much is because of its cover art--my mother had a poster of that drawing back in the '60s when she was a dirt-poor hippie living in a one-room cabin without running water. Life was made bearable by the presence of this great work of art!

Here is my prize possession:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 31.jpg (93.8 KB, 403 views)
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #28
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I'm glad she gave that to you. I would covet it too. Although I've got a Tolkien Reader that's from the same year I think.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #29
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I am now the proud owner of a first US edition of The Silmarillion, thanks to my aunt and uncle.