The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
wayseer
Newly Deceased

Location: Everywhere-but retreats to a window in the west from time to time
wayseer has just left Hobbiton.
I have no idea ...

I have no idea what I'm doing here. I didn't plan this. But this drunkenness has to stop. Maybe it was at the Dancing Pony. Whatever. My soul lies somewhere else and I intend to end up there. If I break out of this prison of drunks I'm sure, with some help, I can find my way home. I know there will be storms on the horizon, avalanches in the abyss, and Night Riders. But I have nothing to lose now. I just want to go home.
wayseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I have no idea either. What the...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayseer View Post
I have no idea what I'm doing here. I didn't plan this. But this drunkenness has to stop. Maybe it was at the Dancing Pony. Whatever. My soul lies somewhere else and I intend to end up there. If I break out of this prison of drunks I'm sure, with some help, I can find my way home. I know there will be storms on the horizon, avalanches in the abyss, and Night Riders. But I have nothing to lose now. I just want to go home.
Er... yes. Quite.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Um...WOW!

The poster tried relating his post to LotR, sadly he failed as it's The Prancing Pony, not Dancing!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Um...WOW!

The poster tried relating his post to LotR, sadly he failed as it's The Prancing Pony, not Dancing!
No, the Dancing Pony is a rival establishment across the street.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I have no idea what I'm doing here.
Hmmmm...this is sounding somewhat Existential, in this case Atheistic Existentialism and the questioning of God's presence in the world. Let's see if this point is carried forward.

Quote:
I didn't plan this.
Anxiety, perhaps a bit of dread. Yes, Existential.

Quote:
But this drunkenness has to stop.
Ah, a very Sartre-like premise regarding 'bad faith'. Bad Faith is seen as any denial of free will by lying to oneself about one's self and freedom.

Quote:
Maybe it was at the Dancing Pony. Whatever.
Hmmm...a divergence. Pantheism perhaps? Worship of nature? Druidical worship of the equine as in the great chalk carving on White Horse Hill?

Quote:
My soul lies somewhere else and I intend to end up there.
The Existential view of intersubjectivity referred to as the 'Other".

Quote:
If I break out of this prison of drunks I'm sure, with some help, I can find my way home.
Hmmm...now we're dealing with a more Russian variant of Existentiality, a bit of the Absurd as expressed by Dostoevsky, or perhaps more of a Kafka-esque view of the world as a 'prison of drunks'.

Quote:
I know there will be storms on the horizon, avalanches in the abyss, and Night Riders.
Dread is very evident here. The anxiety virtually seethes in this statement.

Quote:
But I have nothing to lose now.
Nihilism and existentialism converge as a profound statement on the self.

Quote:
I just want to go home.
By the statement 'I just want to go home', does the author imply he is in a self-imposed exile? Where then did he type this missive? Or having drank the bitter dregs of Existentialism and Nihilism, is he in fact pining for the brighter philosophy of his youth? Perhaps the Leibnizian optimism of 'the best of all possible worlds'? I fear without further dialogue, we are left with conjecture.

In any case, welcome to The Barrow Downs, where drunkeness is a token of liberation and preservation (as in Tolkien's Elvish cordial Miruvor), and not the Nihilistic libation of desperation.***

***Disclaimer: No Existentialists were harmed in the making of this post.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
ok... i didn't know BD has suddenly transformed into an existentialist philosophy forum.

seriously now, what the hell--

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
ok... i didn't know BD has suddenly transformed into an existentialist philosophy forum.

seriously now, what the hell--
Well then, given Tolkien's ardent Catholicism, would you prefer the post to be analyzed from the point of view of Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy or Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica? Given his philosophical bent, I think Tolkien would have preferred Boethius (more Platonic than Aristotlean).
Old 08-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Umm... I'm confused now. But that isn't uncommon.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
wayseer
Newly Deceased

Location: Everywhere-but retreats to a window in the west from time to time
wayseer has just left Hobbiton.
Wow! I had no idea that I was so exposed. I think I'll retreat to Grimwood. It's the Light you see - kinda dazzles me. Not use to it. Oh, don't think I'm some Bog from Scritzenwold. I'm really quite friendly - when you get to know me.

But I think I better have 'one for the road'.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Cue theme from "Twilight Zone."
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayseer View Post

But I think I better have 'one for the road'.
No don't go.... you have us intrigued now

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #12
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question my, i never thought...

*digs up old CL 121 notes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Well then, given Tolkien's ardent Catholicism, would you prefer the post to be analyzed from the point of view of Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy or Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica? Given his philosophical bent, I think Tolkien would have preferred Boethius (more Platonic than Aristotlean).
So Catholicism=Boethius? Pardon me, I'm Catholic. I don't like Boethius. I think it's kinda a joke--a very flat view of Poetry, by God! The Muses were pagan, they and the arts catered to sensuous and earthly interests, Philosophy is the true medicine of the soul. I don't think Tolkien would have preferred Boethius. I think he'd prefer old Thomas, compared to Boethius: neither the eternity of the world nor the contrary could be demonstrated by pure logic; the bible provides teh necessary authoritative info on that point. The soul is the form of the body (Aristotelian), but the soul is immortal. All in all, his teaching on this matter is closer to Augustine and his Christian Neo-Platonism.

But I think it's to old Augustine he may be most drawn. Augustine's Christian Neo-Platonism (or was it Plotinus'? Help!) said that the universe is hierarchical,

1. Bodies, which are least unified, many, can always be fragmented into parts, can always perish

2. Souls, also fragmented, but not as badly as bodies. Souls are absorbed into bodies; without it they are weak. Unified they are powerful as they turn to contemplate forms in the intellect above

3. Intellect. Eternally and uninterruptedly contemplates the intelligible forms within it and is thus identical with them (intellect=intelligible world)

4. The One. So unified it cannot be articulated.

--

Now doesn't it sound a bit like Tolkien?

--

My point, which you lot may have missed--and I don't blame you!--the first post is kinda like... a joke.

Legal Madness.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

As a matter of fact, Lindale, I suspect that possibility has occurred to other posters.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boethius was mentioned a lot at the Tolkien Society Seminar - I must look up my notes on it...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Boethius was mentioned a lot at the Tolkien Society Seminar - I must look up my notes on it...
OOOOHHHH. I'd love to hear about it. Unfortunately I haven't been into any Tokien seminar at all. I heard there's a Philippine Tolkien Society, but that was years ago, I don't know if it's still out there.

Anyway I don't like Boethius. *stomps foot like a nasty little spoiled brat*

Legal Madness.