Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #41
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-07-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #42
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It is a lovely Spring morning in the Shire.

The time is midmorning and breakfast is still being served, as well as second breakfast.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-07-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #43
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Pausing to gather her thoughts, Gwenneth began, “I am, what I my family likes to call, a bit of a wanderer. I rarely stay in one place for very long and I love traveling. I haven’t been very far yet since I just began recently.” Pausing again Gwenneth hoped she was explaining herself well. “In my family it is a tradition that once we reach a certain age we leave our family home and travel for a time. That way we learn more about the world than just what we read in our books.”

Once again fingering the jewel around her neck, she smiled as she remembered the day she headed off on her travels. “I will travel for awhile and then return to my family at a meeting place near the Lonely Mountain." Realizing that she had been talking for several minutes she turned to her dining companion and asked, "Would you please tell me more about yourself and this land?”
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info

Last edited by starkat; 05-08-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:49 AM   #44
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Elkamia

Elkamia helped with the cleaning of the Inn for a while, then saw to her mare, Annufin. The large silvery horse stood still as she was groomed and spoken to. The elf always preferred to look after her own horse.

A check on Arrow found him awake, and sitting up. He was in some pain, but obviously refused to stay lying down. "You really should rest, Arrow." Elkamia told him. The silvery dog just stared at her. Reminds me of myself. she thought, smiling. Leave him to it. I don't think he can get out of the stall. Funny thing, most dogs that get hit by a carraige and two don't sit up for several days. She shook her head, and ventured back out into the sunshine.

She ate, and then disappeared into the nearby trees with her weapons. She didn't think that Aman would appreciate her practising archery, swordfighting and knifework too near the Inn.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:55 AM   #45
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"I just arrived last night with my companion, a dwarf named Deva. He has been here before, but I have not. It is called the Shire and it is home to those delightful Hobbit creatures." Peony recalled the party last. It seemed the Hobbits had a certain fondness for such a gathering.

"As for me, I am from Minas Tirith. My father would go out on his travels and I would beg to go with him. Very rarely was I permitted, but I always had a wonderful time when I could follow. That's how I met Deva. When I turned twenty-one I set out with Deva for our own travels. That was nearly a year ago, how the time flies."
Old 05-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #46
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
White Tree Willow

Willow stepped into the main room. As she seen, the morn had passed, though the sun was still bright in the morning sky, showing that it was not yet noon-time. Breakfast was still being served in the room, as well as second breakfast, for those who had been up bright and early, though Willow doubted that there were many of those, as the party had gone on late into the night; the moon had been high in the starlit sky when at last, she had stumbled into bed, tired beyond mortal thoughts.

Ah, the blessed realm of sleep, Willow thought wistfully. But indeed, the night had been fair, and something that she would remember for the rest of her days, standing up there, with her fellow hobbits, playing the fiddle for all to hear...

Speaking of which, she wondered in her mind, I wonder where Dasiy, Lily, and Mira are?

Not that it really mattered at the moment, though it had been nice to have companionship, as she still tended to slip off into dream-worlds at times. But at the moment, it was not that she wished to be alone, it was just that she was rather hungered.

"And, now that I think of it," she said, out loud, though not meaning to, "I didn't eat a thing last night!" Willow grinned to herself. "Now, that's an interesting thought to figure!"

She wasn't going to go without food for much longer. Willow walked across the room, and picked up a plate containing bacon, eggs, a muffin, and an apple from the hobbit in the kitchen. Willow took a place at one of the tables, and began to eat without abandon, though she normally curbed her morning hunger when staying at an Inn.

Willow wasn't worrying about that now, though, as she was starved; or so it seemed, and at the moment, attacking her plate full of food eagerly seemed the only thing to do.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #47
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

Quicksilver_Sprite has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Farren sat back in the barstool, almost tipping it over, before she righted herself. A plate sat in front of her, it's silver rim embracing the remains of a large breakfast. Full and content, she began to hum to herself softly, a tune that she made up on the spot, weaving in and out of the natural noises of the inn. For a few minutes, she simply looked around, and seeing everyone engaged, decided to keep silent. Out of force of habit, as she observed the inn, she began to kick her heels against the seat, tip-tapping out a beat that she could hum to more comfortably.

Someone looked round at her, staring pointedly at her feet. The bump-a-dump, bump-a-dump ceased abruptly as Farren realized that she was fidgeting, an old habit from her childhood that had never really been eradicated from her arsenal of Very Annoying Behavior. Crossing her legs beneath her, she resumed her silent staring. Ha, there was someone new on the radar! A young woman, apparently from upstairs, tucking into a plate of breakfast with vigor. Standing up, Farren walked over, and sat herself down from across the woman. "Mind if I sit here?" she asked brightly.

Dream a dream / And see through angel's eyes / A place where we can fly away
Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Old 05-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #48
starkat
Wight

“You are lucky to have a traveling companion. My horse Elenath, is my only compaion right now.” Gwenneth pushed her plate back since she was through eating. “The Shire. What an interesting name for so lovely a country. On my way through the Shire I noticed how green everything is. The amount of different things that grow here is wonderful. Are the Hobbits gardners?”

“Minas Tirith! I have heard of it. It is in Gondor is it not?” the elf maid exclaimed. “Can you tell me more about it and the areas between here and there? When my parents gave me Elenath, they said she was from Rohan. I hope one day to visit there.”
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 05-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #49
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

"Rohan, you must make it a point to visit there one day. It is a beautiful country. My father was born and raised there, our family often went to visit there." Peony was once again wrapped in her love for Rohan and its people.

"To have a horse bred by the Horse-lords. If only I could claim such a thing. My horse was raised by one of the stable boys in Minas Tirith and she is nothing like the horses from Rohan."

"Now about Minas Tirith, yes it is in Gondor. The capital to be exact. It has been called the White City and I cannot explain its beauty to you. It is a sight one must see on their own. It is far from here and sometimes I long to return to see my family, but the open road calls my name."

Peony thought of all the places she had visited that lay between the Shire and Minas Tirirth. "There are many places between here and Gondor and most I have not yet seen. Of course there is Rohan, the Misty Mountains, the Elven realms of Rivendell and Lorien, both of which I have never seen, only heard the tales. So many place Gwenneth, most of which I have never seen."

Peony took a breath and pushed her plate aside as Gwenneth had done a few minutes earlier. "But enough about that. I talk to much and I would much rather listen to your tales, milady."
Old 05-08-2004, 02:43 PM   #50
starkat
Wight

Seeing Peony’s delight at her memories of Rohan, Gwenneth sighed, "One day I will make it to Rohan. It sounds like a wonderful place. You have been to so many places.”

“My father was born and raised in Rivendell. He took me there to visit when I was very young, but sadly I do not remember much.” Thinking hard, trying to recall, all she could bring to mind was a brief time of singing. “I was hoping to visit there as well.”

Smiling as she again recalled the day she parted from her family, “I have two brothers and a sister. All are older than me by several years. My brothers found wives on their journeys and have settled near the sea. My sister sailed from the Havens sometime ago. My parents still travel.”

“My main talents growing up seemed to be getting into trouble.” Laughing at herself, Gwenneth looked at Peony, “As I grew I became an excellent horsewoman and archer. When it was my turn to travel my brothers did not want me to go alone, but as I was skilled in defending myself, our parents let me go alone.”

Once again fingering the jewel around her neck Gwenneth continued, “My mother gave me this before I left. It is a tradition in my family that the one traveling wears it.” Struck with an idea Gwenneth turned to her companion, “You said you had a horse here, correct? Would you go on a ride with me this afternoon and show me around?”

Last edited by starkat; 05-08-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #51
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Willow

Willow was quite enjoying her breakfast, as was usual for a hobbit, when a woman happened by. Willow didn't recongnize her, but that was normal, as there was always new people in the area, and old people, that she didn't know by sight.

"Mind if I sit here?" the new-comer asked, a touch of brightness to her voice, and cheer.

Willow set her spoon down for a moment. "Oh no, not at all," she replied. "I'll finish eating here, if you don't mind." She smiled, and added, "I haven't ate since mid-afternoon yesterday, friend."

Willow dove back into her food, but, as she had been eating with much vigor, there was little left, and it took her a few minutes to clear her plate. She set the spoon, and knife over the plate, and pushed it aside, across the slightly stained wooden table. Just last night, Willow reflected, I was standing up on one of these tables, fiddling... with friends. She smiled faintly at the memory. "And who are you, and whereabouts are you from, friend?" she asked cheerfully. Her hunger was quenched, and no longer did it drive her to distraction. "I am Willow Overhill, of the North Moors," she added, in way of an introduction.

The sun peeked in through the windows as the day grew slightly later, and the tables were sunkissed with the brilliant light. The day would be fair indeed.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #52
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

1420!

"Pleased to make your aquaintence, Willow," she replyed, delighted that someone was willing to talk to her, a stranger in an unfamiliar place. "I'm Farren, from along the road." This last sentence had come out rather awkwardly, as all introductions and explanations are apt to do, hanging in the air between the two women like a strange insect trapped in an eddy of air. "Well, what I mean to say is, I'm a traveler, so I'm really not from anywhere in particular."

Willow nodded wisely, indicating that this answer was not an uncommon one round these parts. Arranging her elbows on the table, the hobbit said, "We see a lot of people coming through here, and from all places."

"I surmised as much when I saw the company. Are you yourself a traveler, or do you live here in Hobbiton?" asked Farren, eager for a tale.

Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Old 05-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #53
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

"I'm from the North Moors," Willow replied, an easy answer to an easy question. "I am pleased to meet you, Farren. A traveler. There are many of your type through here now." She smiled, the easy smile lighting her face, when she was friendly, indeed, she could be a fair person.

There was a wistful smile on Willow's face as she continued: "I don't travel much, yes, indeed, I have seen much of the Shire, but no where else. I am but a Hobbit, one of the Little Folk, as some would say. And even now, we still have our own world here, it's so different from everywhere else, or so I hear tell."

She spoke distantly, remembering things she had heard in the past, years ago. "When I was little," she began, "my father, my true father-- he died when I was still a tween-- he used to tell tales. He was a traveler, you see, a Brandybuck. My mother was from the North parts, which is where I grew up. But my father, before he married my mother, he used to travel a bit, even to Bree, and he would tell me things that he had seen in those far places." There was thrill in her eyes as she spoke of this, even though, to remember her parents, it hurt.

"My father brought my fiddle back from Bree," she said softly. "And when he died, before, that is, he gave it to my mother, and she to me. They were both very sick, I don't remember it well. But afterwards, when I was old enough, I chose to see the Shire, and then remained her, in Hobbiton afterwards. I've never traveled beyond Crickhollow."

There was a shining light in her eyes as she turned to Farren. "But tell me, what is it like to travel, to have no place to truly call home? I've always dreamed of such things, but what's a little Hobbit to do? I am happy here in Hobbiton now, but I still would love to hear of your travels!"

Willow smiled, and with her eagerness, showed her for the younger spirit that she had. Indeed, she was one of questions, once she had something to talk about, and Farren was someone to talk to. So she talked.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #54
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

1420!

Willow finished the tale of her family, and turned towards Farren, eyes glittering brilliantly in the warm light. Farren felt guilty for causing her to relive painful events that she probably would have prefered to keep to herself. She swallowed and slowly said, "I'm sorry if I was prying, I surely did not intend to sadden you."

A smile, albiet a small and hesitant one, grew on Willow's face, as she replyed, "Really, it's fine. Don't be apologizing, but tell me about yourself, and tales of the road."

"You know how the stories say that travelling is exciting and dramatic? It's all a lie really. The most exciting thing that ever happened to me was camping near a lake in a lightning storm," said Ferran with a laugh, remembering how drenched she was, and how stupid she had been to pick that particular spot as a resting place when a storm was brewing. "I was born to the daughter of merchant on the coast, though I don't exactly know where. All I remember was the smell of the ocean, the salt and seaweed, and the crash of the waves on the rocks. We left that place and headed inland when I was barely a day over two years."

Ghostly images of the sun sinking into the waves, a ball of fire extinguised by cool water, days when the ocean was so still and clear that she could see down many fathoms, and watch crabs pick their way across a desert under the water, pursued by darting silver fish, flicking in and out of shadowed rocky nooks, hiding from half-imagined predators filled Farren's mind, putting her into sort of a trance, so that she barely heard when Willow asked her, "And when did you start traveling?"

Farren shrugged, coming out of her surreal nostalgia with a sort of jerk, her conciousness snapping back to the dusty warmth of the inn, and back to the voice of the hobbit sitting in front of her, chin in her hands. "A few years ago, when I was around 19, I think. I wandered around the wilds, tryed to find Rivendell, learned to ride a horse, and eventually made my way north, following tales of trees that could walk, though I never saw any. And when I came to your land," she nodded at Willow, "I didn't find and mythical creatures, but I decided to stay a while. So here I am today, talking to you."

Old 05-09-2004, 01:34 AM   #55
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"I do not know much of this place, but we can go out for a ride anyway and see what we can." Peony looked around for Deva. Probably still in bed. He wouldn't be up for hours.

"My silly companion. No matter how many naps he takes he still cannot rise before noon. He can be awfully lazy sometimes." She laughed to herself and shook her head.

Looking back at Gwenneth she smiled broadly. "Rivendell eh? I would love to see such a place. But you said you had only been there once, so then where were you born, Gwenneth?"
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #56
starkat
Wight

"That would be wonderful. Hennaid." Gwenneth paused a moment to take a drink from her glass, "I need to remember to talk to the innkeeper before we go. If your companion comes down before we go, do you think he would like to go with us?"

Leaning back in her chair a little, Gwenneth thought about the question, "I was born in Mirkwood, amongst my mother’s family.” Blushing as she realized that she had forgotten to mention where her mother was from earlier, the elf maid continued, “My mother was visiting family at the time, but most I spent most of my years by the sea in the same town as my brothers. Since I was so young, my parents would leave me with one or the other while they traveled.”
Old 05-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #57
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
“Breakfast would be delightful Lady Aman, I would take anything for my hunger.”

Bredan was not sure how she felt but Aman was smiling at him, and what a smile she had. He thought how inconvenient it was right now, to produce feelings for another person. But he could not help himself.

“Breakfast will be with you shortly, Bredan.” Aman said.

“Excuse me for awhile” he said to Eleniel and Gird, he guessed that they knew where he was going, although Bredan himself did not know what he was going to do when he got there.

Bredan walked to the end of the bar, determined to know right know if Aman liked him, or if she didn’t, he hoped anyway that the answer would help him. She was there looking busy, but she always seemed to look her best. The butterflies were working overtime in his stomach as his lungs and vocal chords got ready to work.

“Lady Aman, you may think me forward and I am usually not, but your beauty is so great that I have need to be forward, I like you a lot, you have came like a ray of sunshine that has pierced the black abyss that is my life, I do understand if you do not feel back like this. And if there is someone who your heart already belongs to then I would like to meet him and proclaim him the luckiest man in the world.” He had a suspicion that if there was another man it was Snaveling, he just sensed tension from them.

“So my Lady, what do you think?”, he eagerly awaited the reply.

Bredan felt drained by his dialogue, but Aman seemed to give him energy. He looked around seeing who had just heard what he said, nobody looked like they had heard.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:06 PM   #58
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
The door to the Inn was pushed open by an unseen hand, and a cloaked head poked itself around the corner. Then the door opened all the way, and a form stepped inside. It threw back its cloak, and the woman beneath it blinked against the dimness. She looked like she had some grotesque deformity, but when she took off her cloak the odd bundles strapped to her back were revealed. In addition to a pack, she had a fiddle and an accordian tied across her back. She carried what looked like a miniature harp in her hands, and a slate dangled from her belt.

She looked around and walked over to the bar, pushing the slate across the countertop. I'm looking for a room, it said, and also a glass of lemonade. Might I find either here?

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-09-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #59
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Deva woke up only to find Peony already awake. That was no surprise to him she was almost always up and moving about before he was. He quickly got dressed and headed downstairs. The dwarf looked around and spotted Peony sitting at a table with an elf woman.

Deva wandered over to say good morning. "Deva!" Peony exclaimed, "Join us?"

"No, no, I will leave you to your friend, Peony." He nodded to Gwenneth to acknowledge her. "I will take my breakfast and meet up with you later in the day."

"Would you like to join us on a ride?" Peony asked.

Deva just shook his head and walked off.

Peony returned her attention to Gwenneth. "Both your parents are travellers? My mother would never travel the lands, she has never even set foot outside of Gondor." Peony pulled her hair out of its ponytail letting it fall back into her face.

"Sorry about Deva being so unsocialable. Once he's eaten he'll be in a better mood."
Old 05-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #60
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield Willow

"Indeed," said Willow, thinking over what Farren had said.

"I didn't find any mythical creatures, but I decided to stay a while. So here I am today, talking to you," finshed Farren, as Willow thought deeply over all that had been said.

Willwo distantly heard the door open as someone came in, but she was deep in thought with what had been told to her. "Then," she began, "it seems that your life was as hard as mine. A life by the seas, and then to traveling. Seemingly though, your's was harder than mine." Willow smiled, and allowed herself time to think over all that had been said. "No, there are no mythical creatures here, unless us hobbits could be called that to you, and your people."

Farren smiled. "No, your folk are not mythical to us." She smiled, and Willow smiled with her.

"I hope that I did not bring up memories that were too painful for you," Willow said softly. "I know how much the past can hurt."

Memories. In the sunlight dancing with her mother, suntouched plants around them. Her father swinging her up into his arms, laughing as she giggled away. At night, her father fiddling as the stars rose up over the black velvet sky...

Willow wiped away the memories. They were too painful for her to think of now, with both of her parents dead from a strange sickness, and her now here, in Hobbiton, among friends. There was no need to go running off, crying, in fear, and from shyness that had set in since they had gone. "Do your memories pain you to recall?" Willow asked softly. "Is there a hollow in your heart, that in the black of night pains you to the bitter core." A bitterness was in the hobbit's voice as she spoke, she knew first hand that of which she spoke.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #61
starkat
Wight

" Avaro naeth. Don’t worry about it. My oldest brother can be pretty grumpy until after he has had his breakfast.” The younger of my brothers can be pretty grumpy too, she mused.

“Yes, my parents are travelers. My mother weaves rugs and my father is a wood carver. They travel so that they can sell their goods.” Taking a drink of water Gwenneth paused for a minute. “If they were able to stick to their traveling schedule, they should be in Rohan by now. Unless of course they stopped somewhere along the way,” she smiled.

“Do you have any siblings? You told me about your parents, but you did not mention any brothers or sisters.” Gwenneth looked across the room at where Deva was eating, “How did you meet Deva?”
Old 05-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #62
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily returned a couple of hours later. She was slightly flushed from the activity and Clover had a thin sheen of sweat covering his body. When she reached the stable she dismounted and removed her saddle. She walked Clover around for about five minutes so he could cool off and left him in his stall with fresh hay.

"Eat up, boy. You earned it," she said. Lily walked back towards the Inn. I wonder if Willow, Mira, or Daisy is up yet?, she thought. She went inside and looked around for her friends. She smiled, spotting Willow talking to a woman at one of the tables. But before she walked over there, she went to get second breakfast. She didn't get a lot, just enough to tie her over until the next meal. Then she made her way over to where Willow and the woman were sitting.

"Good morning, Willow," she said cheerfully. "And good morning to you too," she said to Willow's companion. "My name is Lily Thistlewool." Lily sat down next to Willow, and noting the serious expressions on both their faces wondered vaguely what they had been talking about. She hoped she wasn't interrupting.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #63
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"I have two older brothers. One is a guard of the Citadel and the other has moved to Rohan and become a farmer. I do not see them as often as I would like, but I guess that's the way the world turns."

Peony looked over her shoulder for a second to see Deva eating his breakfast. "As I said my father is a wanderer and he met Deva on one of his adventures years before I was born. Deva is a close family friend and volunteered to take me across the lands. Though one day I'm hoping to be able to go out and explore on my own.

"My mother would have me return to Minas Tirith and marry, but I can't say good-bye to the open road."
Old 05-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #64
starkat
Wight

“My mother has similar hopes that I will find someone on my journey as my brothers did and settle down. I don’t know though. At the end of my sister’s journey she had decided that she no longer wanted to remain in Middle Earth and sailed from the Havens." Looking down at her hands, Gwenneth continued, “That to is one of my choices, but I hope to travel for many years and make many new friends along the way.”

With a slightly embarrassed look on her face, Gwenneth pushed a stray strand of her hair out of her face. “Would you tell me more about your horse? You said that he was raised in Minas Tirith. Did you know him as a foal or after he was trained?”
Old 05-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #65
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Peony smiled, she loved her mare Surefoot so much. "Her name is Surefoot and she is about three years old. She was a present from my oldest brother. I raised her for the most part, but my brothers would help me every now and then." Peony remember breaking Surefoot. Such a fiesty horse who was almost impossible to break. No man could do it. Surefoot only trusted Peony to ride her.

Peony hoped Surefoot was alright in the stables over the night. "And your horse? You said he was from Rohan? How did you come across him?"
Old 05-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #66
starkat
Wight

“Surefoot sounds like a wonderful mare," Gwenneth said. “I did not raise my horse from a foal, but we have been together since my father brought her home.”

Thinking back to the day her father brought Elenath home she continued, “Elenath, my mare, is five now. I first saw her when she was two years old. My father had made a journey to Rohan and when he returned he brought back three horses. He gave me first pick of the horses. I went out into the pasture amongst them and Elenath came directly up to me and wanted to play.”

Giggling at the memories of her first days with her horse, Gwenneth smiled. “You might say that Elenath chose me. We were together from that day on. She will not let anyone else on her back but me.”

“My father let me name her and because of her night-dark coat with a small sprinkling of white hairs, I named her Elenath or stars.” Smiling again at Peony, Gwenneth asked, “What does Surefoot look like?”
Old 05-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #67
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"She's a lovely shade of brown with a few white hairs in her tail. My oldest brother always said the only thing more stubborn than me was Surefoot." Peony thought of all the places she had seen with Surefoot. Aside from Deva that mare was her best friend.

“Elenath," She said, "That's a beautiful name and I have no doubts she is a beautiful horse." Peony couldn't wait to go for a ride. "I love horses so much, they make great companions. They can keep you warm on long cold nights and are always there when you need them the most. Don't you agree?"
Old 05-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #68
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling noticed how Galadel managed to avoid answering his most pressing questions. What she revealed of Numénor astounded him for it gave detail and life to a land that he had been raised to believe was little more than a fairy-tale. That she had been to this land was almost beyond belief. He of course knew of the immortality of the Elder Race and he had seen enough of Galadel to know that she was an ancient being, but such age as she spoke of now he would have thought would be more clearly written on her face. Her laughter as she swept away with the glasses dashed his concerns like brittle glass, however, and he resumed his sweeping. He thought over what she had said and tried to piece out of it his own fragmentary story. The King who has assailed the West had been presented in her tale as the villain, and those who rebelled against him as the heroes. But he had ever been taught to regard the supposed Faithful as traitors to the young prince – his ancestor – who along among all Men of Middle-Earth was the rightful heir…

He paused in his work as the full import of what Galadel had told him thundered into his mind. King Elessar, the very king he had agreed to face with Roa, was the descendant of those rebels. And Snaveling, if the tale told by his amulet were to be believed, was the descendant of the true king of Numénor. He leaned lightly against a table to gain his equilibrium. No wonder Roa had reacted so strongly! He and her beloved King were competitors to the same throne, and claimants to the same royal right. He sat heavily, the broom now clutched loosely in his hand. He had no illusions about his claim: he knew that he would never be recognised as the heir by any Man in Middle-Earth, nor did he want to be! He groaned and closed his eyes. Why did I ever come to this place? he demanded of himself. All I’ve ever wanted was a lodge of my own, with a part of the world where nobody would task me or tell me how to live my life. And now I am to be called to account before a High King who will consider me a rival and enemy? Despite the gravity of his situation he could not help but smile at the irony of his situation. Two months ago he had been a lonely, pathetic and starving beggar: friendless and hopeless. Now, however, he had a home, friends and hope. But the price of these was proving to be a high one.

His thoughts flew, as always, to Roa. He must see her and explain to her that he did not wish to press any claim against anyone. The enmities of the past did not concern him, nor would he trouble any one about them. At the same time, though, if his claims were legitimate, perhaps there would be some way to negotiate with this King of Roa’s… He paused at this thought, and for a moment the idea of his hunting lodge became a wild reality in his imagination. What is a single isolated valley to the King of Gondor? he thought. Especially when it is granted in return for a competitor’s refusal to stake his claim to the throne? He looked about for Roa to see if she had descended yet, but there was no sign of her. Dropping his broom and rushing from his chair he went to Aman to seek for Roa. The Innkeeper was locked in what appeared to be an intense conversation with the same Gondorian who had been casting such odd looks at Snaveling since the party, but Snaveling was too preoccupied to notice that he was interrupting. “Aman,” he said, taking her by the hand. He had intended to ask if she knew were Roa was, and to seek her advice on how to proceed immediately, but as he saw the alert – and unfriendly – look on the face of the Gondorian (Bredan! His name is Bredan) he decided that he would rather have this conversation in private. Adopting a more calm tone and manner, Snaveling asked “I’m sorry Aman, but I have something that I must speak to you about. Could we step into your study for a moment?” He looked at Bredan pointedly and then added, "Alone?"

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 05-09-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #69
starkat
Wight

Gwenneth didn’t respond right away. She was too busy wool gathering about her horse. Realizing that Peony had finished talking, the elf maid looked over at her, "Yes, I do. Horses are also great friends.”

Gwenneth stood up from the tables and stretched a bit. Returning to her chair she apologized, “Sorry about that. I tend to get pretty restless after sitting in one place too long.”
Old 05-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #70
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
"Your face tells me otherwise." Adu didn't know what to say. She had moved on and forgot about Jack. She had Hama now and didn't want to go back to the terrible life she had before. Everything was better now. Adu didn't need to remember the painful memories of her loss. She knew that Hama would be returning with some good news. That is news of Hama's new position. She couldn't wait until he returned. Perhaps then she can move forward with her life like Crystal did. "Isaac, I know what I remember and there was never a forest. As far as feelings between Jack and I. Those died out the day he left. I haven't had any feelings for him since he decided that it was best that he quit General Dorian's riders and go out on his own. I'm sorry if that makes everything a little bitter but that is how I have to be."

Well its how it has to be. You made your choice and I have made mine. Hama and I will reunite Dorian's riders. You will only be another memory. A memory I am all too happy to get rid of. I will not go through the same heartache again. I will never be a victim to what you did to me. Dorian took advantage of my skill in combat and you took advantage of my heart. NEVER AGAIN!

Adu placed her right hand on the hilt of Nehema. Her sword was tucked safely under her elvish cloak. She thought she heard Count out in the stables. "Isaac if you will excuse me. I need to go see if Count had a nice night in the stables. We can talk a little later perhaps. That is when I am able to relax a bit." She picked up her mug of ale and began to go to the stables when she saw that Cree was headed there too. Avalon was the only crow she had ever seen that was so calm around people. Perhaps it was just Cree's calmness that Avalon liked.

Adu felt a hand touch her shoulder. It wasn't everyday she had someone touch her. She turned around to see that Isaac was there. Adu needed to be alone for a bit with her horse. She had to calm down about the whole Jack and Isaac thing. She didn't need it any more.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 AM   #71
Archsage Isaac
Animated Skeleton

Archsage Isaac has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Archsage Isaac
Isaac was taken back. No one had spoken to him like that, ever. After placing his hand on her shoulder, he thought carefully about what to say. "Adu, I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way. I thought that maybe what I saw was real, I merely wanted to try and grasp at any thread from my past. I knew it was a longshot and I once again apologize."

After saying this, Isaac removed his hand from her shoulder and turned to walk back for the table where he'd been sitting. I must be losing my mind... he thought to himself as he sat back in his seat. Without any warning, Isaac recieved another jumbled mass of images. What he saw disturbed him far more than anything else he'd ever experienced. He stood up again and ran for the stables. Upon his arrival and with some difficulty, he began to speak to Adu. "Adu, when was the last time you saw Jack?" he asked, trying to hide what appeared to be the horror in his eyes.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #72
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

1420!

"Do your memories pain you to recall?" asked Willow, her voice barely above a whisper, the question almost losing itself in the noisey room. "Is there a hollow in your heart, that in the black of night pains you to the bitter core?" Farren sat silently, gathering thoughts that had scattered far and wide like spent storm clouds when the sun detroys any vestige of of watery blackness. "They don't hurt. They make me dream though. I wish I could find that place by the sea, and go back and live there, sailing out for days, only coming back when I needed provisions." Farren sighed. "But I can't."

Willow looked puzzled. "Why not?"

Her face stiff and sad as a cold iron poker, Farren replyed, "Because I can't swim." She giggled madly, enjoying the look on Willow's face. "Fooled you." Willow rolled her eyes, chuckling a bit. But even as a few rays of light cannot totally break up a downpour, a poor joke did not entirely break up the sad, wistful mood that pervaded the table. The storm clouds were on the horizon again, shading everything the soft, misty gray of memories.

At that moment, another hobbit sat down, her face slightly flushed, and a wide smile spreading across her lips. She greeted them cheerily, introducing herself as Lily Thistlewool. Taking in the downcast expressions on their faces, she looked nervous that she had disturbed them. Shaking of her dark mood, Farren smiled back at Lily. "I'm Farren."

Old 05-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #73
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

Aman simply stared at Bredan for a second, her mouth open - this can't have been very attractive, but the Gondorian didn't actually seem put off.

"So, my lady, what do you think?" he inquired again. Now, reasoned the Innkeeper inwardly. We already know his is not drunk, and he seems quite sane...can it be possible that he is serious? Good gods, Aman, every race in Middle Earth seems to pass through your Inn and a Gondorian announces out of the blue that it is not some fair immortal or mysterious Easterling he fancies for himself, but you!

"Bredan, I am..." she trailed off. Frankly, she hadn't really had a clue what she was going to say in the first place. Maybe a metaphorical phrasing would be better? "There is someone who-"

"There is someone, then," Bredan murmured softly. Aman's eyebrows shot up. "What? Well, not-"

"Aman.”

A soft voice and the touch of warmth on her hand made Aman turn her head to see Snaveling. A chord of irony struck inside her to see his face... Apparently oblivious to the Innkeeper's dilemma, he took her hand, looking into her eyes about to speak...then he paused, glancing at Bredan. Someone who had spent no time in the company of sentient beings and knew nothing of emotion could have detected the hostility practically pouring from the Gondorian in waves. Snaveling paused, then turned back to Aman. "I'm sorry Aman, but I have something that I must speak to you about. Could we step into your study for a moment?" Another glance at Bredan and he added, "Alone?"

And in a split second, several things flew through Aman's head.

One, she realised the reason for Bredan's suspicious glance around after he had spoken.

Two, the complete surprise that he had suspected that.

Three, with the look currently starting to brew on Bredan's face and the way his fingers were beginning to curl, it was highly likely that in a few seconds Snaveling was about to be punched.

"Of course, sir, come with me please," she gushed quickly, careful to stress the formality rather than using his name. However, Bredan was not fooled.

"Luckiest man in the world..." he growled menacingly. Aman paled and Snaveling, his humour ever dark, actually raised an eyebrow. Bredan rose quickly at this, knocking the bar stool from beneath him. Aman returned Snaveling's grip on her hand and pulled him away towards her study, apologising with utmost haste over her shoulder to Bredan as she marched away.

Aman didn't look back until they had entered the study. Closing the door, she let go of Snaveling's hand and collapsed into one of the two soft chairs by the fire, her head in her hands. The man seemed worried. "Are you alright, Aman?" she heard him ask conceredly from somewhere above. Taking a deep breath, she sat up and blew out her cheeks, looking up at him.

"Hmm. I'm afraid someone has just declared undying love to me, which is..." she sought the right word. "...inconvenient." It wasn't the word she had been looking for, but it would have to do. At the look of surprise on Snaveling's face, the Rohirrim Innkeeper grinned briefly. "Indeed." She paused, looking him up and down now that she had time to do so as he lowered himself in a more dignified fashion into the other chair. Aman had been too busy the night before to take much note of Snaveling's change other than the plain fact that it had very certainly happened, but now she began to realise the extent to which he was...transformed. His previously sallow face now seemed dark and smooth, the proud bone structure noble, framed with what was evidently hair that had been washed for the first time in a while. And that suit... the like was rarely seen passing through Bree casually, and yet it was not showy - it was quietly elegant, the suit of a refined gentleman. And that...talisman...that glistened over it...

"Snaveling, that is really a remarkably fine look for you," she commented suddenly, then sat forward and motioned to the decanter on the table beside them. "Wine?"
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #74
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Arrow's Return

The silver dog whined. He was trapped in a stall and his human was nowhere in sight. The elf woman had visited him several times, but he was otherwise alone.

And that meant that his human was alone! Grunting with the exhertion, Arrow stood on shaking legs. He wasn't in pain; that nasty liquid that Isaac made him drink must still be working. Either that or the elf maid's healings worked very quickly. He sniffed his clean bandages. They reeked of herbs and dried blood, almost overpowering to his sensitive nose. He sneezed.

Time to find his Eleniel.

Standing on his hind legs, the dog hooked his forepaws over the door to his stall. As he had guessed, the lock on the other side was a simple latch. He bent his neck as far down as he could and grasped the latch with his teeth. Wagging his tail gleefully, Arrow unlocked the door and trotted to the Inn. He butted open the Inn door with his head and looked around. Isaac and the elf woman were in one corner, but Eleniel was not with them. She was talking with two other gentlemen.

She was talking to strangers without him?!?! He growled and ran to her, plopping himself down on her feet. His injured leg gave a painful flare of protest, but he ignored it, drooling on her shoe to get her attention.

"Arrow!!" Eleniel cried. "What in Middle Earth are you doing in here!?" Arrow gave her a smug look. If SHE could be here, HE could be here.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #75
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

"If I have learned nothing else from my mother I have learned how to sit still for long amounts of time. I used to become restless, but my mother went nuts when I was restless so I had to learn otherwise."

As Peony spoke Deva came up and whispered a few words into her ear. Peony nodded and the dwarf was gone.

"He feels it is nessacary to tell me exactly what he is doing. He said he's going for a walk. He'll probably fall asleep somewhere and return at supper."
Old 05-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #76
starkat
Wight

Gwenneth smiled. “I hope he enjoys his walk.” The restless feeling continued growing and she started fidgeting a little.

“Peony, would you like to go out to the stables with me? I feel a need to check on Elenath.” Blushing a little, the elf maid looked over at her companion, “I get a little antsy when I haven’t seen her for a while.” Suddenly another thought struck her, “Oh! Could you introduce me to the innkeeper please? I need to see about getting a room and stabling my horse.”
Old 05-10-2004, 05:31 PM   #77
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

Peony pointed to the innkeeper Aman. "See that woman over there? She is the innkeeper." Peony thought for a moment. "Why don't you check in and I'll go wait for you out in the stables. Sure foot is probably wondering why I haven't come to visit her yet."

Gwenneth nodded in agreement and went to get a room. Peony walked outside and was refreshed by the morning air. She took the path to the stables and entered.

In a far stall Surefoot neighed gladly to see her master. "My dearest friend." She patted the mare on the head and ran her hand down Surefoot's face. "Want to go for a ride?"

The horse neighed and nudged Peony's chest. "First we must wait for my companion, do not be so anxious." Peony began to brush Surefoot off as she waited for Gwenneth.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:42 PM   #78
starkat
Wight

Having seen the innkeeper walk into a room and close the door, Gwenneth knocked on the door and opened it. She apologized for interrupting and asked about a room.

With a room key in hand, Gwenneth headed out to the stables. Seeing Elenath tied by the water trough, the elf maid walked over to her. “Suilaid mellon,” she whispered. Elenath shoved her head into Gwenneth’s hands. “I missed you too my friend. I made a new friend inside the inn and we are going to go out on a ride. Would you carry me?” The horse nickered in agreement, eager to be off.

“Hennaid, thank you.” Untying her mare, Gwenneth led her into the stable and looked around for Peony.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #79
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling declined the wine – the memories of what drink had led him to the night before too fresh in his mind. He was surprised and a bit confused by Aman’s manner. She was regarding him as she had not before…in fact, she was regarding him as no one ever had before. He did not know what to make of it, but decided that she was still made uncomfortable by what Bredan had said to her. He had seen the threat in the young man’s eyes, and the too easy twitching of his fist, but he had been unafraid. Snaveling had been a man alone not to have learned how to care for himself, even if it had come to that, and somehow he doubted that anything like the sort that Aman had feared would happen at the Green Dragon. Still, he made a mental note to be cautious around the young Gondorian.

Aman’s attention to his clothes made him suddenly self conscious and he half wished that he could be back in his robes…but then again, the thought of appearing before Aman in those rags seemed wrong now, in a way that he could not identify. He pulled himself upright in his chair and absentmindedly brushed a lock of hair from his face. He then placed his hand on his chin with one finger draped loosely across his lips. It was an old habit that he took on when thinking of something elusive. He had no idea how regal it made him appear. “Aman,” he began slowly, dropping his hands and clasping them between his knees as he leaned forward slightly. “I need your advice.” The Innkeeper seemed surprised by this but remained silent. Made suddenly bold, Snaveling pressed ahead. “I have recently found out some interesting things about myself that have come, well, as something of a shock to me. I rather suspect that you might find it hard to believe – in fact, I’m not sure that I believe it myself yet – but according to My Lady Galadel, I would appear to be descended from royalty!” He told Aman about his amulet and about the tales of his people that claimed he was descended from the young prince of now vanished Númenór. Her eyes grew wider and wider as he spoke, and when he finished there was a long silence.

“In truth, my friend,” she began carefully, “I do not know what to make of your story. If you are indeed the lost descendant of Ar-Pharazôn then you are a mighty figure indeed!”

Snaveling winced at this. “Please!” he interrupted, but then dropping his tone he said with an apologetic smile, “I do not wish to be mighty. All I wish in the world is…a place…a special place to call my own. A place where I can” and in his mind he saw Roa’s hair streaming out from them both in the wind of morning, “where I can be alone and live my life as I see fit” he concluded lamely, and he could see in Aman’s eyes that she knew he had held something back. “You know the people of Gondor far better than I. I am bound by Roa to appear before her King Elessar where I am to face his justice for my crimes. When he finds out who I am supposed to be, is there any hope that I will receive justice? Will he not rather have me killed on the spot rather than risk that I might make a claim on his throne, no matter how hopeless and dream-like that claim might be?”

Aman gazed at him and asked, “If you fear for your life at the hands of the King, why have you agreed to go before him?”

Snaveling looked away, suddenly self-conscious once more. “I am bound by a promise,” he said quietly. “A very important promise to one whom I dare not betray again – even if I had the heart to do anything against her.” And as he spoke, he could not meet Aman’s eyes for fear that she would read there what he was feeling.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:49 AM   #80
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Aduthondiel
"When was the last time you saw Jack?" Adu needed to answer this question but decided that if she answered it truthfully then it would only make her look bad. She had to tell Isaac some type of lie that will not hurt her in the end. She was suprised that Isaac had followed her into the stables and then after leaving he ran back into the stables. Isaac was a strange person even if he may or may not be the Jack she has been looking for.

"Isaac, it was many years ago. Back when I had first became a warrior for Dorian. That was the good days. You seem scared. What happened?" Adu turned when she heard Count. She needed to check on Count and see how he was but right now Isaac was there.

If Isaac sees Count then everything will fall in on me. I will no longer have Hama instead I will be stuck with Isaac again. That is something I never want again. Hama is far better a man than Jack ever thought about being. "Isaac I need to check up on my horse. He's getting a little shaken since he isn't use to staying in the stables." Adu always had Count attached to a tree of some sort. Times had changed and if Adu was going to stay here for a while then she needed to get Count use to staying in the stables until she got her own place to stay. Adu turned to go to Count but stopped. "Isaac, tell me one thing. Why do you persist on finding more out about Jack? It was a long time ago and he's lost to me now."

Adu's voice trailed off into the wind. What else was she suppose to do? All she wanted was to get to her dear friend and see what else she could find out about this Isaac.