Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #481
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Folwren –

Why don’t you just mention Thornden dismounting before he knocks on the door at Dunstede - that should cover the fact that he does indeed have a horse.

Then in Post 266:

I’ll just change this:

Quote:
‘Well, then,’ she said, her voice a bit muffled as she bent down to untie her cuffs once again, her long blond hair falling forward to hide her face. She stood up, pushing the wavy masses away from her cheeks and stuffed the leather thongs in her pocket. ‘I’ll just fetch a pair of horses for us from the barn. Or better yet, why don’t you come with me and take your pick, Master Thornden.
To this:

Quote:
‘Well, then,’ she said, her voice a bit muffled as she bent down to untie her cuffs once again, her long blond hair falling forward to hide her face. She stood up, pushing the wavy masses away from her cheeks and stuffed the leather thongs in her pocket. ‘I’ll just fetch a horse for myself from the barn. Why don’t you bring your own along, Master Thornden, and we’ll start off from there.
And you can then edit your ‘in the barn’ post as you wish . . .

How does that sound?

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 04-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #482
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I guess. But not tonight. Tomorrow I'll fix it. I promise.

Edit: Firefoot, if Thornden were to take a horse, he would have taken one from the stables. However, Thornden doesn't have a horse, at least I didn't write him with one. He could have had one, but I don't know what good a horse would have done someone who had been a guard for a year. He'd probably sold his horse to get some extra pocket money towards the beginning of his entrance into Edoras and it's only been a little over a week since he's left Meduseld and he hasn't bought another one (pity he's gone during the horse fair, eh?) So, what I want to know is which horse is available that Thornden might take from the stables? Eodwine's old war horse probably needs to stretch his legs, but would Eodwine let him go with him?

I would want to say that Thornden has a horse from the very beginning, in post #207, when he first starts out from the Mead Hall. In which case, I'll write that he had told Leof that he would need a horse at the crack of dawn the next day and when he walks out, Leof will be leading the horse out of the stables. I realize your little character still has a few hard feelings against Thornden - would it be alright if I added some dry remarks on his side?

Quote:
'Good morning, Leof!' (Thornden's in high spirits this morning...had a good night's sleep.) Leof nodded and slipped the reins over the horse's head. 'How's the foot this morning?'

'Very well, sir,' the ostler replied. . .
Something along those lines.

LMP: Would you object to Eodwine's horse being used?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 04-26-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #483
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
LMP: Would you object to Eodwine's horse being used?
Not at all. I was going to suggest it. His name is Flíthaf. A chestnut charger, I think I described him as.... (?) Eodwine would offer him saying that Flíthaf needs to get out more than the mead hall lord has a chance to.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #484
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Not at all. I was going to suggest it. His name is Flíthaf. A chestnut charger, I think I described him as.... (?) Eodwine would offer him saying that Flíthaf needs to get out more than the mead hall lord has a chance to.
Oh, good! Now I'm really excited about it.

EDIT: Okay! I've now edited posts #207, 211, 232, and 268.

Firefoot, tell me if I've handled Leof alright in 207. I realize that once again I've asked a question and written something before waiting for a reply.

Undome, let me know if 268 is alright still. I also changed the color of your horse. I figured if Flithaf was chestnut, it’d be more interesting if your mare wasn’t. So, she’s a dark brown with black mane and tale. If you want it otherwise, I can do that, too.

--Folwren at your service

Last edited by Folwren; 04-26-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #485
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks for going through all the trouble, Folwren. I'm glad you're happy with it.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #486
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Folwren - you handled Leof perfectly.
Quote:
Please bump into Garwine on the way! He'll be tracking down Leof, too, you know, after he collects his winnings. *rubs hands greedily*
Alcarillo, you could probably have Garwine find Leof first, while the rest of them are finishing up what they're doing. Leof's just sort of waiting on his lonesome right now.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #487
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Regarding the Kidnapping sub-plot

I want to keep the Eorling Mead Hall thread running close to real time of year.

If we handle the kidnapping within the main thread, we run the risk of getting the thread bogged down in day to day to day pacing, and would probably have to some day jump forward in time something like 9 months. I don't want to go there.

So I'm thinking about the possibility of a mini-rpg on a separate thread, with its own characters and a limited game-time frame of, say, three weeks. That means that we can jump ahead in the main thread three weeks and celebrate the freedom of Linduial, and move forward with other sub-plots. Those who wish to be part of the sub-plot of the kidnapping can then be part of that story, and we set out rules for ourselves to make the sub-plot dove-tail with the main thread. The sub-plot can therefore take a couple months to write but not bog down the main thread.

Thoughts?

EDIT: By the way, I'll write a post for Eodwine tomorrow. It's getting late tonight.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #488
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
While I like the idea, I'm a bit bummed that I won't be able to take part. The next couple of months are simply too busy.

But I'd love to read along!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #489
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I can't speak for the main characters of the mini-RP obviously, but I like the idea! If there are any smaller roles to fill in it, I'd be glad to lend a hand...or keyboard :P

I think an RP with a smaller time frame is a nice change from the longer RP's and a different test of writing skill. I'd be happy to have a try at it!

Tara
Old 04-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #490
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
A mini RPG. Sounds fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Alcarillo, you could probably have Garwine find Leof first, while the rest of them are finishing up what they're doing. Leof's just sort of waiting on his lonesome right now.
I'll post tomorrow. Tonight was taken up by a school presentation I had to prepare for.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #491
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The mini-RPG - would it be open only to those writers who are in the Mead Hall thread at present, or would others be joining?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 AM   #492
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
The mini-RPG - would it be open only to those writers who are in the Mead Hall thread at present, or would others be joining?
Others could join, such as recruitables from the Shire. There is a kidnapper to be played, for example, and other roles may develop in the planning. I'm open to new writers, in other words.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 AM   #493
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
It will be a very difficult challenge for me, character development-wise, as I will be dealing with Lin in two different stages of development, and have to make them mesh at the end. I'm willing to undertake it, though. Although I will miss Fea's involvement. Will we still get Degas' panic? Will you have time to occasionally show up, as a minor character?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #494
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
To keep it simple, it'd be a hairline short of insane for me even to consider it given my plans thus far for the next few months.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #495
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
*sniffles* how awful...I'll try not to succomb to the disappointment. I'll talk to you later to see how we want the elapsed time of the kidnapping to affect Degas's and Lin's relationship. That way I can try harder for continuity. And I'm going to try to work out some story something to explain why Degas (who will surely feel responsible) doesn't take part in the kidnapping sub-plot, to be discussed with lmp. The kidnapping subplot definitely needs to be discussed with lmp and probably pio...I'll PM you both shortly.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #496
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have an idea on how we can make Feanor's relative absence work on favor of heightening the tension in regard to Degas vis a vis Linduial.....

Eodwine, upon learning that Degas has lost Linduial, is incensed. It is entirely his own responsibility, and he realizes that he has been lax in not sending Garwine or a man of the Hall to accompany the young princess. He regrettably takes out his wrath on Degas and refuses to allow Degas to have anything at all to do with Linduial's recovery; in fact, sends him on the errand of informing Linduial's father as to what has happened, begging for ransoming assistance, as Eodwine's purse is terribly shy of funds. This puts Degas in a very, very uncomfortable plight, and definitely increases the tension. Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #497
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Works for me. Degas will be feeling awful, feeling that the entire situation is his fault (which, to be honest, a lot of it IS). If Degas's role in the mini-game is like Inzi's was originally supposed to be in PoN, I think I can sneak in time. "Meanwhile, down in Gondor, Degas was being beaten up royally by some very angry big brothers."

It's because my schedule for the next few months varies between so scheduled that I won't have time and likelihood for spontaneous not-being-around that I'm unwilling to commit. But if Degas's part involves me merely posting only every so often and when I'm able, I can do it.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #498
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

As long as we get Degas' panicked admission of guilt to Eodwine...and getting Degas down among Lin's family might leave room for interest too, as well as the fun of meeting her brothers, (control of whom I will almost definitely grant to someone else, even down to names, as I never did name those two)
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #499
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I still plan on the panicked admission. Well, less than panicked, given he doesn't want to scare the little girl (gah, really need to remember that name) that's starting to fall asleep on his shoulder, but you know...

When will be transfer this plot to a later time? Before or after Degas shows up?

And it's a long trip from the mead hall to Lin's home, no? Especially when she's the queen's cousin, right, and a help with ransom could easily come from there.

Would Degas still be sent as emmisary to the south? It would mean that he'd be gone for a number of weeks at the least, to accomodate travel time and proper noble... stuff...

Surely he'd be back AFTER Lin's been saved.

Oh, the details. In any case, I've got a class to attend and a few hours of work and a meeting with a professor, so I must be off.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #500
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I have an idea on how we can make Feanor's relative absence work on favor of heightening the tension in regard to Degas vis a vis Linduial.....

Eodwine, upon learning that Degas has lost Linduial, is incensed. It is entirely his own responsibility, and he realizes that he has been lax in not sending Garwine or a man of the Hall to accompany the young princess. He regrettably takes out his wrath on Degas and refuses to allow Degas to have anything at all to do with Linduial's recovery; in fact, sends him on the errand of informing Linduial's father as to what has happened, begging for ransoming assistance, as Eodwine's purse is terribly shy of funds. This puts Degas in a very, very uncomfortable plight, and definitely increases the tension. Thoughts?
Lovely. Poor Degas, though, I must say.

I like the idea of a seperate, small, short RPG. It will be easier and doable in three weeks (or however long you decide upon) because most of the characters have already been developed and the development of the characters is often what takes so long when writing a story. Once we're past that (and we are, on most of the main characters) it shouldn't be so difficult to just do the story.

And, gosh, I can't wait for Thornden to get back the Mead Hall! Rose and her family are all very nice and enjoyable, but there's so much excitement he's going to miss. And then there Lys that I'm dying to have Thornden meet for real. . .

But for all my complaints, I am having tons of fun with Undome's characters. A new amusement just arose with her and her brothers. I forgot how brothers can be with sisters. I don't suppose she'll be having problems with them trying to hook her up with Thornden, will she? Quite the opposite. They'll be making sure he keeps his proper distance.

-- Folwren
Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #501
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Shield

Just to let all who are interested in playing in the kidnapping RPG - I've sent the game proposal form to Jenny & as soon as it is done the game can begin.

~*~ Pio
Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #502
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

The proposal form won't be started until after work tonight, but it will definitely be complete by noon Saturday. Meanwhile, would anyone be interested in playing the character of the kidnapper? Also, if anyone else is sure their character(s) will be involved in the plot, please PM me so I know to include you. Then we'll leave it open for whatever other characters are to be introduced to be taken by others.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #503
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Shield

~*~ A Round of Applause! ~*~

Just to let all know, three new writers have been added to the Rohan Gamers' List:

Celuien

the guy who be short

the phantom

For their excellent work in LMP's recent ATM game.

--------------------------------------------------------------

JennyH

I'm going out of town this Saturday and won't be back until Sunday evening.

So, don't hurry on that account.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-28-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #504
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Congratulations to Celuien, the guy who be short and the phantom!! Welcome to Rohan.

Jenny , I gladly offer myself in any part you see fit! I wouldn't mind a try at a big bad kidnapper! If you like, PM me with any details you want and I can make up a character form you can peek at. Whenever you like, no hurry.

Tara
Old 04-28-2006, 10:23 PM   #505
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Most sorry for not getting a post up. It's too late and my brain is fried on questions of ultimates.

I'll be on personal retreat most of Saturday and Sunday, so a reply to Garstan must wait. I'm sorry. I'll be back Sunday night and will make this first priority then.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #506
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

When should Degas arrive bearing both bad news and a tired child?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #507
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Any time now, I think.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #508
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Does now work?

He's there, he hasn't got her, neither have they, please, oh please let her be at the Hall (but she's not... oh darn).

LMP, 's'all you.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #509
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Er.... ahem...

Ah, Greetings!

At the recent invitation of Piosennial, I have tentatively joined you all in contributing to the "Eorling Mead Hall" RPG. At the moment, I am (as I have not been on the 'Downs for over a year) a bit of a tremulous newbie.

As I'm sure you can see, I've just made my first contribution to the thread, introducing your first Dwarf, Náin son of Narin son of Nori. I've read over the thread as best I am able, and am familiar with the characters and what has happened on the thread thus far, but as part and parcel of my "newbieness", I would warn you that I may well make mistakes/continuity errors, and I expect and demand that you point them out for rectification.

So, nervously, I greet you all.

~Michael A. Joosten - Formendacil~
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #510
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Though I am told it is not required of the Eorling Mead Hall, I have a Character Description of Náin that I wish to share, if only to assist the other RPGers in getting a bit more of a feel for his character:

NAME: Náin son of Narin son of Nori

RACE: Dwarf, of the House of Longbeards

GENDER: Male: none of this is-a-female-under-the-beard nonsense here.

WEAPONS: A long, bearded battle-axe. Several hammers and chisels as well, if one wants to count those.

APPEARANCE: Four feet, six inches tall, muscular, possessing a full, red beard of about two feet in length. Rather thin-faced as Dwarves go, typically cheerful in appearance.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Náin is a people person: he likes being around people, and being liked by people- except when he’s working, when he’d generally rather be alone. Generally cheerful and optimistic, he can be off-putting with a rather grave attitude normally. He has a sense of humour, but it tends to be of the wrier, dry variety. A sculptor by trade, he’s also got basic skills in masonry and smithying. Though not a warrior professionally, he is a sound fighter with his bearded battle-axe. Not particularly comfortable around women, he can be easily flustered by prolonged exposure to them. He’s also got a bit of a prejudice against Elves, as is typical for Dwarves.

HISTORY: The grandson of Nori, companion of Thorin Oakenshield, Náin was born in Erebor, and there lived until the present time. Though young- for a Dwarf- he displayed more than average skill in sculpture, and was thus chosen to go to Edoras in gratitude to King Éomer’s generosity to Gimli’s colonization of the Glittering Caves. During the War of the Ring, Náin fought in the Battle of Erebor, and certainly did his part fighting off orks and Easterlings. It was at this time that he acquired most of his warrior’s skills. As the grandson of Nori, Náin is on the wealthier side for a Dwarf, although an uncle older than his father inherited most of their portion of the family gold. As a result, he has never known true hunger or poverty save what he experienced during the Siege of Erebor.

Oh, and as a final note:

I have no idea who greeted Náin in the entrance.... Any takers?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 AM   #511
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn, once the action with Lin is over, will be utterly fascinated by your character, Form. I highly doubt she's ever been in the presence of a Dwarf. It'll be fun for me to write.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 AM   #512
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Saeryn, once the action with Lin is over, will be utterly fascinated by your character, Form. I highly doubt she's ever been in the presence of a Dwarf. It'll be fun for me to write.
The fun will be mutual, when that day comes... Náin is easily flustered around ladies...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #513
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I've modified Jenny's plan of the hall to show Garstan's changes. More or less. The curve of the hall is a little off since I'm not great with Paint and it's not necessarily to scale, but it shows the general idea.

Garstan's plan.

Nice to see you here, Formendacil. I'm sure Garstan will appreciate the advice of one of the Dwarves. Cunning folk with stone, I hear.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #514
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I suppose something squared off would be easier to build than a curve. I had been envisioning a wall that connected the mead hall to the kitchen, forming two 90 degree corners, with a corridor between. I see there are two doors, one each from kitchen and mead hall, into the "Alder Court". Looks good.

Man, I'm still having a hard time thinking of the stables on that side of the mead hall.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #515
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Can do the 90 degree angles. It might even make my arclengths work correctly.

Should the stables move too while I'm redrawing?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #516
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Leave the stables where they are. I'm fine with it, just somebody correct me if I have Eodwine or Falco walk out the wrong side of the building to get to stables that are only there in the character's imagination.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #517
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Elempi, I have the most fantastic image of a life-sized statue of Falco adorning the courtyard. Thanks for that.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #518
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Nice to see you here, Formendacil. I'm sure Garstan will appreciate the advice of one of the Dwarves. Cunning folk with stone, I hear.
Thanks for the welcome. We shall see how cunning Náin is... Oh, and thanks to LMP and Fea, it seems that he's set up for a first comission. Double-scale hobbit statue, anyone?

On that note, how tall IS Falco? With the normal Hobbit range being between 2 and 4 feet, this statue could be a mere table-topper if only lifesize.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #519
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

NOTICE:

JennyHallu's RPG Abduction in Edoras now has a Discussion Thread open & ready to take on players.

Come one, come all and play out the kidnapping of Linduial subplot from the Mead Hall.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #520
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've gone and lost Saeryn's age. Does anybody remember if I definitively mentioned it anywhere?