The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #1
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe pippin is smarter than hes portrayed

in the movie, pippin is always played down as the worthless member, like when hes throwing stones in the water, when that was boromir who threw the stones. although it does stay true to some of his mistakes, like the well scene in the mines of moria, but still pj made him too unserious<BR> in TTT pippin shows a very cunning personality, making it seem like he has the ring to grishnak , and i was really surprised when i read that. <BR> they even portrayed merry a little smarter than him, like when, it was merry who led the orcs away from frodo.<BR> i hope in TTT they give pippin the characteristics shown in the book
Old 06-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I must admit, when I saw Pippin in the movie, and thought that he was going to be Thain of the Shire, I shook my head. But I think PJ is right when portraying Merry as the smarter. It is Merry who studies maps in Rivendell, so that he knows that the hobbits are in Fangorn. Pippin just hoped that somebody would be with him to lead the way. And at the scouring of the Shire, it is Merry who acts like the leader, and it is Merry who assists in killing the Nazgûl leader. So I think PJ hasn't made a mistake when making Pippin dumber than Merry.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

yes merry does do some important stuff, but the both of them are played down, not just pippin. i just think pippin could be made a little smarter
Old 06-23-2002, 04:12 PM   #4
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pippin is portrayed as pretty stupid in the movie, although they do ease up on him a bit by making the incident at the well in Moria a mistake rather than having him deliberately toss a stone in the well. I think both he and Merry will mature a lot more in the next movie, <I>The Two Towers</I>.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Pipin did seem to be portrayed as something other than what he is in the film but with his actions in TTT I expect that this will change in the next movie.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I agree. I don't think that Pippin is stupid, so much as just careless. I hope that PJ portrays him smarter in TTT.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #7
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

They better! That way my dad will believe me when I say that he contributes a lot to the story. Since FotR, my dad is convinced that Pippin is some clumsy moron who can't do anything right
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 06:53 PM   #8
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I saw the movie before reading the book, and I was kind of annoyed when Pippin and Merry decided to tag along with Frodo and Sam. Actually, I expected them to get killed off as soon as the action started up. I think that Pippin and Merry's relationship with Frodo could have been explained much better in the movie.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that they will make them more mature in the next two movies. I don't think that they made them really dumb, but more like they were immature. I think that will pretty much end now that they're with the Uruk-hai. If you notice, they do get more mature in the book at this point.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:25 AM   #10
raefindel

Sting

Yes, he was partrayed as being very stuupid or careless. but you have to admit, It would have been a pretty dull film without that.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:33 AM   #11
Knight_Link

Sting

i htink that pj is only trying to ephasize on how much pippin is going to change in the next two books...he really just make a 180 in character...
Old 06-24-2002, 04:59 PM   #12
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

Sting

i guess it will make him more mature in the next movie
Old 06-29-2002, 04:37 PM   #13
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I agree with Knight_Link. I think that PJ wanted Pippin to seem more immature now, so that everyone could tell how much he has changed later and to show how much the journey has changed the characters. Also PJ probably wanted at least one comic relief type character and he chose Pippin.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 03:13 AM   #14
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Merry is smarter than Pippin, but that doesn't mean he is dumb. Pippin isn't dumb at all, just clumsy.

Later in the books, Merry and Pippin see war and death. They meet new people and travel very far from the Shire. All of this affects their lives. After being in such a serious situation, the hobbits have no choice but to grow up.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 10:39 AM   #15
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I agree with Nufaciel. It could be that I am overly influenced by my own ideas about Pippin, but I really didn't think he was portrayed as dumb, just a little careless and immature. One of my favorite lines in the movie is one that I've seldom heard mentioned otherwise: Pippin's "is he going to die?" as Frodo ails from the knife. He's never exactly certain what's going on (and why should he be? Nobody's explained it to him), but he's trying to figure it out and he's not quite ready to accept everyone else's seriousness (which is actually one of the things I like best about him). Immaturity and confusion will make people seem dumb, you know, but it's not the same thing.<BR>And I was actually grateful (yes, grateful) to Billy Boyd for seeeming to understand that.<P>--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote