The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2002, 05:23 PM   #1
firncristwen
Pile O'Bones

firncristwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril LOTR Fantasies...

I don't know what it is...but you get to loving and understanding almost all the Tolkien characters. You pity Boromir when he dies and comprehend his human wishes. You smile grimly inwardly along with Aragorn when you think of the solemn, rugged warrior on this nearly hopeless quest...hell, even Legolas' poufy ways start growing on you. I can't even remember my pre-Tolkienite existence. Well, I can, but it wasn't so much fun. Does anyone else live in that half dream-like stance where the almost expect to run into Merry or Gandalf since they along with the others occupy so much of your conscious? It's odd.

****EDITED BY THE BARROW-WIGHT****
Advertisements go in your signature.

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
firncristwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:00 PM   #2
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

Dream-like? No. Though I'm sure you'll probably get some yesses to your question, I know where to draw the line. It certainly is fun to imagine that I accompanied the Fellowship on their journy though, that I dueled with orcs and performed magic, I know it will never happen, so instead of wasting my time worshiping LOTR, I strongly admire it, and all works of Tolkien. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:02 PM   #3
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I understand you completely! I keep thinking that the Ringwraiths are chasing me when I gallop through the cross-country course at my riding lessons! I even tell my horse to "Naro Lim" (what Arwen says to Asfaloth as she's taking Frodo to Rivendell). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

It seems I live my entire life as if I am dreaming a dream. Therefore, yes. I understand.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't consider ME a fantasy world. It's real, I tell you! When I graduate I'm gonna find ME!

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:45 PM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I have some very peculiar beliefs about good books, but we won't go into that here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, I'm pretty sure that I live for and by the turning of a page, so in one sense, Middle-earth is very real to me, as are all truely great books. But I know who I am and were reality is (or, the shadow of it, at least) and am content to remain here for now. Does that count?
Old 02-24-2002, 10:06 PM   #7
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I get lost in the story while reading it, as with all great epics, but when I put a book down, which is not very often, I come back to civilization. Well, actually, I do not think that our world is that civilized at all.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 11:16 PM   #8
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Dream-like state, well thats basically describing me after I read any good book, especilly after I read LOTR. For about two weeks after I finished ROTK I was in a very dazed state, I wouldn't talk to my friends as much as I used to(which kinda worried them), insted I just sat by them during lunch staring at nothing while thinking things about LOTR.
I actually went ino this phase for about a day or two where I was always wondering what Frodo or Sam or any of the Hobbits would do or think of if they were in our world. I would always be like "Hmmm... what would Merry think a microwave would be?" or what would he think of it.
I dunno, I just go through weird phases after I read a book. I'm probley confusing everyone at the momment.....
Old 02-25-2002, 08:26 AM   #9
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

How do you define reality? If it is what we perceive then a 'fiction' story can be as real to someone as a 'factual' occurance. While they are definately different levels, and i can't say i've ever expected to meet an elf/dwarf/etc on the street (i do know a hobbit though: short bloke with the HARIEST feet i've ever seen), the books are real to me on their own terms.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:32 PM   #10
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have lived my whole life with LOTR and regularly find myself casting people I meet into certain roles. But then having LOTR and the Hobbit read to me when I was a baby (it was the only thing that would calm me) and having lived alongside it ever since it is very much a part of my reality! I read the trilogy myself at the age of seven but didn't attempt the Silmarillion till ten or so. But from then on...well, my house has always been filled with LOTR pictures, calendars, ornaments....pets named after characters...you name it!!!

Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #11
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well....if you believe as I do that on some level, authors 'receive' their books (just read Alice Walker's dedication at the beginning of "The Color Purple"), that possibly these things exist on some unknown plane, then living somewhat in a dream state may make sense, as you might just still be in the 'receptive' mode as the author was when he/she wrote the book, connecting to the characters on an altered state...

But then again, maybe not.

LOL
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:58 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Ah yes, I've just received a ring from Nepal as a belated Christmas present, and I have already convinced myself that it is the dormant Nenya! If not, it is still Elven in origin.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:21 PM   #13
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was wondering who had Nenya, and who has Narya. I have Vilya! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #14
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien himself believed that Middle Earth existed, if only in a collective imagination.
Quote:
For in the end it is Middle Earth and its dwellers that we love, not Tolkien's considerable gifts in showing it to us. I said once that the world he charts was there long before him, and I still believe it. He is a great enough magician to tap our most common nightmares, daydreams, and twilight fancies, but he never invented them either; he found them a place to live, a green alternative to each day's madness here in a poisoned world. We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizer of dreams.
-Peter S. Beagle
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:54 PM   #15
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that Tolkien went into such great detail it's almost like... whose to say that these places and these people never did exist. It's almost as if he knew something that we don't. Ya know.
I look at people on the street and say that their ancestors could've been elves, or hobbits, or, well, you get the picture. Kinda weird, I know. I mean, there is sooo much lost history in our own world it's kinda fun to look at LOTR as if it really did exist!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 07:04 PM   #16
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am utterly convinced that Mirkwood is in my backyard [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] There is a forest behind my house that looks exactly like I thought Mirkwood would look like. Theres a stream and a huge tree that looks like it's been around for a thousand years and millions of other trees. I imagine almost all the time when I am in the woods that there are elves in hiding the trees.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:12 PM   #17
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

Yes, I guess you could say its dream like. Truely, if I had one wish to settle my desire, it would be to go to Middle Earth in the Third Age. Seriously. Its not a oh-my-god I SO want to go to Middle Earth, like some people do, but it would be an adventure, which I really need right now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 07:31 PM   #18
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

In some book I read that it takes just someone to believe in a world and want it to exist, and it will exist. (Clumsy, but I can't word it better)
Tolkien told us of Middle Earth, and don't we all now make it exist here(?) or somewhere out there (?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I was wondering who had Nenya, and who has Narya. I have Vilya!
I've almost persuaded myself that I've got Narya, a ring with a big ruby that I got on graduation and have been wearing for for almost 15 years (along with a tiny silver dragon and 5 or 6 other rings). I just wish I could get the One!
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:02 PM   #19
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Yup! My whole life is freakishly LotR based! I have renamed most everything near me in ME names, and my pets... I have two fish in my pond, Frodo and Sam, the Water Strider is Aragorn... well, you get the idea.

I think my family are hobbits. We love to eat, my mom loves gardening, we love getting and giving presents at every opprotunity, we're short- well, they are- it's scary!
Old 07-03-2002, 10:23 PM   #20
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Dream-like does pretty much describe it...I'm always thinking about LotR, it has become a part of my life. Many times, usually during class, I will just drift off to Middle Earth. The time I realize that LotR is really in my conscious is when I actually feel the presence of one of the characters or feel as though i'm in a certain place in ME. Just this morning I felt as though Pippin was with me as I woke up. I usually feel his presence strongest, most likely because I think about him more often. Once before I woke up and felt as though I was in the forest, travelling along with the hobbits and they were resting beside me. Yes of course I had just woke up and thats when most people are not quite with it, but its a really comforting feeling and it stays with my for quite a while. Maybe i'm jus going crazy, if so, I like being crazy. LotR is definitely within me.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:53 PM   #21
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
White-Hand

This past semester, I borrowed a friend's copy of the single-volume red leatherbound edition of LOTR (The definitive version in my opinion, and the edition that WILL be in my library by Christmas). Every time I opened this huge volume to read, I felt just like Bilbo at his desk in the Undying Lands, poring over the final draft of the Red Book of Westmarch.

And he lived happily after, to the end of his days.

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: Greyhame ]