Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #321
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Ok, so the way things are now, I am not entirely sure that I should stick my post in right away (the fact that it's only halfway done is a factor, of course). If anybody wants to put up saves, the time to do it is now, or else you're going to find yourselves face to face with Leninia very soon.

Esty, thank you so much for the lyrics.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #322
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I went ahead and posted, since I have two papers due this week and no time to do this later, plus the whole trip back to Duke looms ahead tomorrow.

Who wants to challenge Leninia to a contest? And who will be our impartial judge? *Lush casts an eye toward Saucepan Man longingly*
Old 03-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #323
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Well, Merisu thinks she's the obvious candidate, what with her Elven musical abilities. Remember? She sang Gravlox into the Halls of Mantoes! Besides, she wants the Entish Guitar... Having Saucy's 'Soregum' finally catch up with the Itship to be an impartial judge is a great idea! How about it, Cacophonous One?

Thanks for a fantastic post, Lush! You did some wonderful writing for our characters, and the idea of a singing contest is fun! Thanks too to Diamond for the fast reaction - both hers and Vogie's. And continuing backwards, thanks to Mith for warning us eloquently about loyers and their dangerous spells!

By the way, anyone is welcome to post for the current captivity...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 03-14-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #324
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Impartial? Hahaha!

I second (or third?) that motion for Soregum to catch up and judge. After all, he's had a thing for Pimpi ever since... well, I forget how he saw her from Moredough, but he saw her somehow and has had a thing for her ever since. I don't forget these kind of things. Mwah ha ha ha ha.

If only the rules could be bent a little so that Merisu and Pimpi could sing a duet... Merisu has the better voice, but Pimpi has the partiality of the impartial judge. (And since when has the Itship ever followed the rules laid down by their various captors and hosts, anyway?)

Great post, by the way, Lushy. Remind me to ask you to write my characters for me if I become unavoidably detained before the end.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #325
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

My, what a wonderful flurry of posts. Gravlox can of course expect a suitably warm welcome back in the Dark Tower Block.

As to the matter of the planned competition, Soregum will be delighted to oblige. It's about time he caught up with the Whatever-the-current-name-of-the-Gallowship-is-ship anyway. His impartiality can of course be assured, in the sense that I can assure you that it contains not a hint of "im". As Diamond says, if Soregum is judging and the aforementioned Thing-ship want to stand the best chance of winning, then step forward the cute half-Hobbit with the pretty blue eyes and curly red hair. Then again, anyone offering anything sufficiently edible and calorific or herbal and smokeable would be in with a good chance too ...

I have an idea for a post, but it may be a few days before I get a chance to hammer it out and post it. (How does Fog on the Barrow Downs go again?) In the meantime, feel free to enjoy the delights of Leninia's hospitality.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #326
Lush
Fair and Cold

A duet with Merisu and Pimpi could definitely work, since Leninia will be using the Entish Guitar anyway. I do suggest you bribe the judge, just in case.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:52 PM   #327
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Showering Soregum with foodstuffs is definitely an option, but I think Vogonwë might have something to say about anything else.

Saucy -- could you find it in your heart to move your save till after my post? It wasn't up when I began to compose, so mine was supposed to seque out of Squatter's eloquent dsecription of falling and regrouping. My seque now has a bit of a stutter. It doesn't advance the plot or anything, so depending on what you were planning I hope that will work.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 AM   #328
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Lush, are Leninia's delusions of grandeur big enough to give her the idea of taking it up against the whole group? I have some nice ideas for a song contest (based on the Eurovision song contest, since we've already had an 'Idol' parody in Soreham). I'd like to structure the dramaturgy more than we usually structure scenes, planning the order of posts but not writing everything myself - we'd then have people writing their own performances. I'd thought of a barbershop quar/or quintet for most of the guys (Vogy, Etc., O2, Kuru and possibly Gatesy as well), a musical song-and-dance for Grrralph, a solo by Merisu, Leninia's response and then a climax with Pimpi saving the day/competition. What do you all think? I'm open for ideas.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-16-2004, 11:26 AM   #329
Lush
Fair and Cold

I don't mind, but you're going to have to be extra niiiiiiiiiice to me when you beat me. *wink wink*
Old 03-16-2004, 02:39 PM   #330
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Soregum has made it through the (somewhat familiar) realm of the Marrow Bones and arrived at Leninia's Mansion.

Let the competition begin ...
Old 03-16-2004, 04:35 PM   #331
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Bravo, Saucepan! An outstanding post!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #332
Lush
Fair and Cold

I have got a paper on yummy Yeats that's due tommorrow, so I shall hold off on posting until tommorrow night, I think.

Does anybody want to do anything before I open the competition?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:38 PM   #333
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Fantastic posts, folks! Thanks so much to each of you: Squatter, good to have you active again – poor Etceteron! Diamond, nice interaction of our favorite (i.e. currently only) couple. Saucy, your post is wonderful! We now have a name for the homeland of the Hobbits – the Mire. Then the M-B – black sky and green fog seem so strangely evocative of something familiar, as do the scraps of conversation. BW, great use of the Hobbit hole allusion! And a Hamlet quote too…

OK, now the planning for the song contest posts: Lush will announce the begin of the contest. I will post for those who can/will not post their own performances. If you want to do a solo performance or coordinate a duet with another writer, please let me know. Orogarn Two will; anyone else? I will put those males who do not choose to do solos into the barbershop quartet and write for them. Non-performance posts can be inserted at will. PM me with any questions about specifics you might have.

edit: I suppose the male group could be a boygroup instead of a barbershop quartet - any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 03-17-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #334
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've filled in my Pre-Gap-Departure Save -- Gateskeeper is on the edge of a change of heart. And he will be delighted to solo in the contest. Gatesy has a new Sound-Card plug-in for his staff, and now would be the perfect time to try it out. Or perhaps he can work some magic on the rest of the guys so that they can dance and sing like a boy-band. I'm open to suggestions!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #335
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Wonderful post, Thena! Nintendo the Blue indeed!!

Having Gatesy turn the motley crew of guys into a boygroup sounds like fun! Do you have time to write a post for them? So far, it looks like we have: Vogie, tenor; Etceteron, baritone; Kuruharan, bass; and Gatesy, countertenor (remember the squeaky voice?!). Let me know if you have ideas and can schedule that.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #336
Lush
Fair and Cold

I've put a save that should be filled in by Saturday morning. I risk getting fired if I don't work today, and last night was spent indulging my decadent lifestyle. Apologies all around.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #337
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Decandent lifestyle is always a good excuse.

Soregum is, of course, up for judging the competition. Feel free to incorporate his reactions to the various acts. I will post something at the end by way of an adjudication. (Hmm, who's gonna win?)

Mind you, I might have to post something soon for the Dread Developer too. After all, seems he's got to get to Valleyum somehow now.

Bah! Seems like eveyone's acting like rats deserting the sinking ship. Well, Môgul has a few more tricks up his sleeve. Just remember, it's always best to be on the victor's side.

Deus ex machina, eh, Thena. Well, we shall see ... [drat, now where's that evil smilie, oh well, nothing for it then ....] ... MWA HA HA!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #338
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am unfortunately unable to use chat at work anymore, so if there are topics taht need to be discussed, we'll have to resort to PM here in the forum. Blasted firewall...where's Chrysophylax when you need him...
Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #339
Lush
Fair and Cold

So I was going to go see a bellydancer tonight, but that doesn't look like it's working out, so lo and behold, I decided to be good tonight, and went ahead and posted.

Who shall be our first contestant?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #340
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

OK, I posted for Merisu; the competition begins with the 'boy group': Vogie, Etc., Kuru and Gatesy. Thena, do you have time to write that post within a day or two/three? If not, I'll write it - or happily pass it on to any volunteer who wants it. After that, we will have performances by Grrralph and O2 before Merisu sings. I would suggest that Pimpi lie low in order to be forgotten by Leninia - perhaps she's backstage, still eating, scavenging food for Soregum, or something.

The performance posts need not be monumental in length; it's just more fun to have various people posting than if only one did it.

Lush, please PM me about how we want to plan the finish, above all, what you would like to have happen to Leninia...
Old 03-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #341
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I will attempt to get a post up tonight(Sunday) but I do have some work to do. Knowing the sporadic nature of my recent communications, I will say that if I do not have a boy-band post up by Tuesday evening, please continue without me for the moment. Good job, all.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 PM   #342
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

I have put up a save for a quick post for Soregum to react to being co-opted into the Simon Cowell role (ah, but even Soregum's not as evil as THAT).

I'll try to fill it out in the next day or so.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #343
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
FYI, Grrralph has prepared a solo to aid in defeating the evil Leninia. Where's Trotskymir when you need him?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #344
Lush
Fair and Cold

Trotskymir is cavorting with Fridawyniel Khalorilier. And forgetting to look behind him!
Old 03-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #345
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

Soregum's Save has now been filled in. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite follow on from Esty's previous post, but neverthless the stage is now set for the barbershop quartet, boy band, four piece combo or whatever it is that they are ...
Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 AM   #346
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

"Except in Grundor where we're banned" cracked me up. It takes a very disturbed mind to do a Village People routine, T. Thumbs up. <-- placed there to show I'm to studly too be in a VP dance number
Old 03-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #347
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Thanks for great posts, Saucy, BW and Thena! I put up a save for a brief explanation of the point distribution and for Soregum's rating of the first act. BW or Mith, whoever of you is ready for the next post may proceed.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #348
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

I was reviewing some old posts and came across this tidbit posted by Mithadan sometime in September:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that our next stop in this little ramble is the Forest of Canned Corn. After that, should our valiant band survive the encounter with the inhabitants of that wood, we will be paying a visit to Dorktank.
Did we intentionally cut the visit to Dorktank, just as PJ did to the movie? Horrors...
Old 03-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #349
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye The contest is afoot!

Perhaps Sauerkraut's fate can be addressed in the Extended Edition, Thena.

Just had to comment on the contest entries so far, which are utterly inspired.

The thought of Gatesy, Earnur, Vogie and Kuru prancing around in their Village People get up is most amusing. I trust that Lord Etceteron wore a handlebar 'tache for the occasion. Mind you, I was looking forward to a rousing chorus of "R-O-E-B" complete with actions.

And Orogarn Two's Slim Shady routine was fantastic. Great lyrics! I always saw him as a heavy rocker myself, but never again. Someone give that man an ice-hockey mask and chainsaw.

At this rate, Soregum is going to have a very difficult time choosing (if he bases his decision on merit, that is, which is of course most unlikely).
Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #350
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

What, Thena, you were expecting continuity in this RPG?? Actually, I forgot all about Dorktank - shall we do a "meanwhile, back at the ranch" for it? If anyone has some good ideas for a flashback or something similar, please do let me know.

I put up another save for rating O2's inspired performance - I wonder, does he have a good enough reputation? Now it's Grrralph's turn before Merisu takes the stage.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #351
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry if Orogarn Two forgot anyone in his song. There are so many to keep track of.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:34 PM   #352
Lush
Fair and Cold

Thumbs up

BW, you post had me drooling, eyes glazed over in sheer ecstasy.

Not that Leninia, uh, knows anything about mind-altering substances.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #353
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

I object -- never once have I implied that Vogonwë has a bad singing voice. Actually, I'm quite impressed by those dance moves, so all is well. Though I have no idea which Village Person he was supposed to be. (Hey, I'm a child of the 90's. Baby of the 80's, child of the 90's, woman of the 00's. Stop laughing.)

Smashing good performance by O2, though I have to say that the whole Eminem thing just about smashes the Travest-O-Metre ™ in the most brutal and resonding way yet. Are the cropped locks going to be permanent? If so, there goes Oggie's chance to join up with The Darkness and revive the big hair style.

Anyway, the point of this post is to say that I'd like to get a short post in between Merisu and Lenina's performances. My thought was that Pimpi was supposed to go after Merisu, but has a bout of extreme stage fright (as well as serious doubts about the song she's supposed to perform) and ends up losing her turn, only to come back in resounding triumph after Lenina thinks all has been won. So anyway, letting me get a Save in edgewise should suffice before Lush can go ahead.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #354
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's a great plot twist, Diamond! I'm writing Merisu's performance post now, but it takes time to get it done well, so it will be another day or so before it's up. You can get a post and/or save in then.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:14 AM   #355
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've filled in the first save for points, after the SmallShire People's performance. Sorry, Americans, the Eurovision song contest reference will be unfamiliar to you... Next save to be filled later today.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:27 AM   #356
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

O2 now has his points as well; after the current saves are filled in, Merisu's performance will go up...
Old 03-29-2004, 04:09 PM   #357
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sorry, Lush. Grrralphie seems to have temporarily shanghaied the Entish Guitar. My apologies to Jön, Pôl, Jörj and the Hobbit Ringo.

Rock on, Dudes!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:51 PM   #358
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

My save is up. I took the liberty of assuming that Soregum's rating would follow form for Grrralph performance.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #359
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Such wonderful posts, everyone - I wish I had time to rave about them, but alas! I'm busy writing my own posts. Grralph has his points - the result probably won't surprise anyone. Now that that save is filled, I've put up the next, to be completed within hours. (No, don't ask how many hours, though I do hope within 24...)

Lush, after that it's Leninia's turn to sing, then Pimpi's belated performance will take place - we hope! After that Saucy will post for Soregum.

Anyone who wishes may post backstage whispering or subplots from far away.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #360
Lush
Fair and Cold

Leninia has sung her swan-song.

As soon as Pimpi performs and Soregum is done, can I still have a little freak-out show for the plain purposes of getting some pity?

Last edited by Lush; 04-02-2004 at 06:38 PM.