The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2003, 03:53 PM   #281
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tídwald to Torhthelm:

"Aye, that's the battle for you,
and no worse today than wars you sing of,
when Fróda fell, and Finn was slain.
The world wept then, as it weeps today:
you can hear the tears through the harp's
twanging. . ."

"The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth, Beorhthelm's Son" - The Tolkien Reader

[ April 16, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 04-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #282
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Envinyatar has it. Welcome to the thread, and you may quote when ready.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #283
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

'Lo, this is one of the ring of Harbourless Isles, that draw all ships toward their hidden rocks and quaking sands, lest Men fare over far upon Garsecg and see things that are not for them to see . . .'
Old 04-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #284
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

My mistake! That quote above was from BoLT II, The History of Eriol, and not form The List, which I am putting here to remind myself and any others who might join:

Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major
On Fairy Stories
Mythopoeia
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Father Christmas Letters
The Monsters and the Critics
Roverandom
The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun
A Secret Vice

And here's a more acceptable offering:

He bewitched a piece off somebody's window curtains . . .
Old 04-20-2003, 09:06 AM   #285
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

That's the Man in the Moon to Rover, concerning Artaxerxes' trousers, from Roverandom.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #286
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

Yes, indeed. Please continue.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:44 PM   #287
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Very well then. Let's see what you make of this one:
Quote:
A barrel of a boy with a big mouth like a frog's.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:52 AM   #288
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

I should have thought it was a nice boy with a friendly grin, eh?!

Master Nokes talking to Prentice about the missing Star trinket from the Great Cake:

"Oh, did she? Well, it was Cooper's Harry then. A barrel of a boy with a big mouth like a frog's."

Smith of Wootton Major
Old 04-26-2003, 08:31 AM   #289
Spectre of Decay

Sting

That it is. Carry on. Sorry about the delay.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:55 PM   #290
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

With an important tone and smile of the father founder, I ask you, Envinyatar, where are you?
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #291
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really enjoy this thread, so I'm bringing it up to the top and offering the next quote.

Quote:
all hail and life both long and sweet,
Old 06-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #292
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm so glad this thread didn't die while I was gone! alaklondewen, can you give a little clue, so that I have an idea where to start searching for it?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #293
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Welcome back, Estelyn! The above quote is from a work that was not written in prose. It is also a rather obscure work.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #294
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That was a tough one, since it's from a very obscure work indeed! I finally found it:
Quote:
...all hail and life both long and sweet,
wherein desire at last to meet!
says Itroun to Aotrou in The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun.

[ June 08, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #295
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Correct you are, Estelyn! It is one of my favorite 'minor' works by the professor. The board is now yours.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:05 AM   #296
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
Yes, I think I shall express the accusative case by a prefix!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #297
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

That was quite a tricky one, Esty! You had me rummaging to find it for quite a while. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It was a little man, whose name he had forgotten that the Professor wrote of in "A secret Vice".
Old 06-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #298
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] - Nice to have kept you busy for awhile, Bruce! You're right, of course, and therefore entitled to pose the next quote.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #299
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Quote:
'I aint a-going to say'
Old 06-13-2003, 09:03 AM   #300
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That was Perry-the-Winkle in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:02 AM   #301
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Ring

Oooh! Not too shabby, Esty. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 03:26 AM   #302
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Here's new one that tickles my fancy:
Quote:
I don't believe half of them know where they are going to, or why they are going there, or would know it if they got there.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:30 PM   #303
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Such a nice quote - anyone going to take a guess?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #304
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Well, what I thought it was it wasn't. Estelyn, would you mind giving us some kind of direction?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:59 PM   #305
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Is it about the Knights going to see Chrysophylax?
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:14 AM   #306
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Nope, wrong story, Beren. I will gladly give a clue - the quote comes from a children's tale.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #307
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that must be Rover about motorvehicles passing him by

Old 06-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #308
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Finally!! That's it, HI, and how nice to have you back on the thread again! I look forward to seeing what you have next for us.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #309
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

thx, Estelyn [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
I would not have, thee run nor ride
to-day nor ever from my side

Old 06-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #310
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

This is Itroun to Aotrou after Itroun gave birth. She says:

Quote:
I would not have, thee run nor ride
to-day nor ever from my side;
yet after sickness, after pain,
oft cometh hunger sharp again.
[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 07-03-2003, 08:34 AM   #311
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that's it, alaklondewen, go ahead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #312
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Thank you, HerenIstarion.

Quote:
Speak to me words! Show me a face!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:39 AM   #313
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that is first speaker of "Sea-Bell", self appointed king of a new found land:

Quote:
Here now I stand, king of this land,
with gladdon-sword and reed-mace.

Answer my call! Come forth all!
Speak to me words! Show me a face!'

Old 07-09-2003, 07:40 AM   #314
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Very good! The poem is one of my favorites from the Professor. The floor is now yours. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 09:04 AM   #315
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

*H-I bows

next one:

Quote:
What hast thou, lord, to give to me?

Old 07-13-2003, 07:41 AM   #316
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
..."We meet again
here after waiting, after pain!
Aotrou! Lo! thou hast returned—
perchance some kindness I have earned?
What hast thou, lord, to give to me
whom thou hast come thus far to see,"
It's Itroun to Aotrou from the eponymous Lay (thanks go to Estelyn for e-mailing me the complete text).
Old 07-13-2003, 08:45 AM   #317
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

(...which I only did because, as far as I know, it's not in print anywhere anymore...)
Old 07-14-2003, 01:23 PM   #318
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

oh laziness imposed by the use of "find" option of MS Word! Both you esteemed lore masters (and mistresses) failed to notice that speaker named is wrong [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img], for it is Corrigan speaking and no other...

yet since the passage given is absolutely correct, I count it as a score and invite you to proceed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #319
Spectre of Decay

Sting

I'm not sure that I deserve to proceed after so egregious a mistake, but I shall nonetheless.

Quote:
It isn't a bad place, I'm told
Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 AM   #320
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I thought you were talking about the Barrow-Downs forum, Squatter, but I found out that the quote has a different source! It's the seagull Mew, speaking to Roverandom of the Isle of Lost Dogs.