The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2002, 12:08 AM   #41
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
When someone asks you to pass the salt/pepper say "If you want it come and claim it!!", or if you want someone to pass it to you, yell "HAND ME THE SALT, SHE ELF!!!" (best done in a crowded resturaunt)
LOL... I did this today, when I went out for lunch... it was fun. ^.^

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: Altariel ]
Old 08-14-2002, 05:37 AM   #42
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

I'm gonna try all of these! Hey where do you people get your elvish fom, is there a guide book or something, because I CAN'T FIND IT AND I WANT TO LEARN TO SPEAK QUENYA IT'S NOT FAIIIIIIIITRRRRR!!!!
At a sleepover: Put on your best Gollom impression, and pretend it wasn't you. Best done in the dark, it really freaks people out!
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
So pleeeeeese tell me where you get all your elvish from, it's not n the back of my copies of LOTR so I don't know where to get it.
i like the Arwen thing!
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:03 AM   #43
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I refer to anyone shorter than me as 'Little Master' regardless of their gender [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ringwraith Number Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:08 AM   #44
suicidal elf chick
Shade of Carn Dûm

suicidal elf chick has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

ROFLMFAOWTIME! That was frickkin hilarious, dude! I especially loved
'Scream out loud 'MY PRECIOUS' to your parents when they take something from you or you want something'.
I'm using that against my mom, and she'll kill me! Wooooo! I also liked
'When someone asks you to pass the salt/pepper say "If you want it come and claim it!!", or if you want someone to pass it to you, yell "HAND ME THE SALT, SHE ELF!!!" (best done in a crowded resturaunt)'.
I'm trying that one later, I swear to you, I will do it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Where's the link?!?!?!?!
"Feeling like a freak on a leash, feeling like I have no release. How many times have I felt diseased? Nothing in my life is free, is free.... Sometimes I cannot take this place, sometimes it's my life I can taste." - Korn 'Freak on a Leash'

Who are you?
suicidal elf chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:02 AM   #45
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Just so everyone knows: I got grounded BIG TIME for my little "performing LOTR on street corner" escapade. My parents flipped out. They gave me the speech about "you're a very smart girl, so why do you act so stupid?" thing.

My parents are offspring of Nazgul, rodents, and the scum that floats on ponds.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:49 AM   #46
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

Hmm, the worst my parents would do was give me the look and speech of 'you're way obsessed with this', as I have said before in an earlier post. But they would never ground me. Unlucky, Elenna!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:27 AM   #47
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Halbereth Diagona, I don't know much elvish myself, but I know there's a book called "An Introduction to Elvish" you can try. Can't remember the author though..
Gamgee, this thread is great! The problem is, most of them wouldn't work on my mum... First of all, she already knows I'm barking mad, second, she'll understand all of them and just make some smart reply... I might try them on dad though... Or my stepbrother.. Somehow I think just the fact that I can quote english books completely out of context make my classmates think I'm daft.. For some reason they seem to think that it'd be natural for norwegian people to speak Norwegian.. Odd.. I'll ahve to try out that light of Earendil on them once... :-)
Old 08-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #48
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Tolkien

I've done the replying only in Elvish thing and scared a bunch of little kids at my church. It was funny! They all ran off screaming when I started into Arwen's water summoning spell.
Also, when somebody comes to your door, answer it wearing a Nazgul cloak and holding a sword casually in your hand. It also works if you go to somebody's house dressed like that. (I FREAKED my non LOTR friends out at a sleepover one time... It was great.) Or just wear the cloak anywhere and shriek randomly.
Here's one for school. At lunch, when you want someone to take your stuff and throw it away for you, say in a pleading tone; "Take it (name of selected victim.) I'm giving it to you, take it!"
And remember to do this next time you go bowling. Say "A palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman," while trying to cover a nearby ball and jerk in pain when you touch it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Fingo ]
Old 08-15-2002, 12:56 PM   #49
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

LoL! I freak my dad out just by printing out the complete quenya-course from Ardalambion.. Together with some various articles about how to write in tengwar.. (Found here - this excellent site is actually done by a swede.. and the other one by a norwegian! ^_^ Go scandinavia! *ahem*)
Oh, Halbereth.. Both of those are great recourses for learning more about the languages Tolkien made. I advice you not to use the grey companies translations, since they aren't real quenya or sindarin, but only loosely based on Tolkiens languages. If you still want to have a look, you can find them here: grey-company.org
Otherwise, there is quite a lot of various elvish words and translations at the end of the Silmarillion, a great book by the great prof! (that is Tolkien, btw)

Quote:
Somehow I think just the fact that I can quote english books completely out of context make my classmates think I'm daft.. For some reason they seem to think that it'd be natural for norwegian people to speak Norwegian.. Odd..
Do I recognize that behavior or what? Whenever I try to say something in english instead of swedish everybody thinks I'm weird. They also think I'm weird because I read books in english faster then they read a book in swedish. And they think I'm weird because I like LotR. So, what have I got to loose? I can quote LotR in english if I want to! After all, they can't think I'm crazier then they allready think I am.. or something.

Writing your name in tengwar and convincing your teacher that you really can put it on a pillow and then doing an awful lot of pillows with your name in tengwar on them. (I don't remember what that kind of teacher are called.. the one you get to sow with.. uuuuuhh.. ^_^) Well, that was one I did.. ^_^
Old 08-15-2002, 02:53 PM   #50
Altariel
Animated Skeleton

Altariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gayahithwen: Home economics, perhaps? At my school it's called clothing & textile crafts.... anyway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
And remember to do this next time you go bowling. Say, "A palantir is a dangerous tool, Saruman," while trying to cover a nearby ball and jerk in pain when you touch it.
Fingo: Scaring little kids? Shame on you! That's very mean... but it does sound like fun. And I want to go bowling now. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2002, 03:15 PM   #51
Gamgee
Pile O'Bones

Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamgee
Sting

I'm so happy I actually started a thread that people read!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
well, I am making the second edition of this thread as we speak...er...type, so in a lil' bit there will be another thread like this, but it'll be based on school. I hope everyone will enjoy it!
Old 08-16-2002, 03:25 AM   #52
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

Thanks a lot!!!!
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #53
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Since this doesn't have anything to do with school, I'm going to add this here:

Each time a video store at the mall plays FOTR on the tvs at the windows, stand in front or next to the screens and act out each scene. Though I haven't tried it myself, it's a great way to get attention.....and a lot of weird stares.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:23 PM   #54
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

for drivers-when turning on your brights, say: "I think i will risk a little more light."
Old 08-25-2002, 11:06 PM   #55
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

I think it's dangerous to read this so close before school. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] It's giving me waaayyy too many ideas.
Anytime you need to escape some situation, point and shout "A Balrog!" and then bolt.
If anyone tries to pass you in line for something, quote Gandalf's "You cannot pass!" dialogue.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:27 AM   #56
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Each time a video store at the mall plays FOTR on the tvs at the windows, stand in front or next to the screens and act out each scene
I did that! And I said all the lines along with the people and everyone stared, and my dad came and dragged me away. Then we went to another store and it was playing lotr too, but my dad told me not to do anything so I just stared up at the screen like an idiot and hurt my neck. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 06:06 AM   #57
Merry Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Merry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

lol, these are GOOD, Gamgee. It's quite scary. Alot of those describe me in everyday life.

I often shout "Crebain from Dunland! RUNAWAY!" when I see a large flock of birds.

I always talk about myself in the third person, and cry, 'NO, THE PRECIOUS IS LOST!" when I lose something.

I reenact the Mirror of Galadriel scene, whenever I come across a basin of water.

When watching Lord of the Rings with friends, always shout 'Gondor has no PANTS! Gondor needs no PANTS, at the appropriate moment during the Council of Elrond. And of course, 'my brother, my captain, my pants'

I have very few friends who actually understand when I do these things.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:47 PM   #58
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Erm...ummm...is it bad that my friends and I do all of this stuff on a regular basis? I haven't gone to "...Mayhem" yet and read the others, but I've done almost all this stuff before...

Especially the acting out part. My friends and I are always acting it out randomly in the halls. Well: we also reenacted the killing of Julius Caesar on the library steps on the Ides of March [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . We did. We all brought sheets to make into togas and all had nametage (I was Cassius), and used spoons to "stab" my friend, Erin, on the library stairs.

We're also planning on having a birthday party Sept. 22 of this year for Bilbo and Frodo! I'm going to hand out cards "from" both of them to all my friends...heehee...

Oh: wanna really freak people out? Continuing on the
Quote:
Quote tolkien continuously, endlessly, compare every little thing to tolkien, and, if you can't think of any link, just say "It reminds me of Numenor"
part: I do that...but then continue to complete the entire history concerning whatever it was that I was reminded of. Once I ended up telling someone the entire story of Turin...heehee...

Just tell people how many times you've seen the movie if you've seen it a lot. That generally freaks them out.

Come up with a story with your friends and talk about it publicly and LOUDLY about how, when you are all 18, you will be in your friend with the mysterious un-openable door's room (her door actually doesn't open), and, suddenly, the door will blow open. You will all enter and, unbeknowst to you, you will all be transformed into the race from ME you are at heart. You will find yourselves in the Mines of Moria, coincidentally just when the nine are fighting the Orcs. You will all have armor and weapons, and will aid the quest, then end up continuing on with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli OR Merry and Pippin. Talk about it quite loudly for a long time period. People give you the funniest looks.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:58 AM   #59
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Man, there are all sorts of threads like, I met a Barrow downer. Why ask where people live? If you meet a Downer, you will be sure to know! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*Arwen goes off into corner mumbling about something that sounds like preciuse and findles with ring* [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #60
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Sting

My little sister does this;
refer to going to the bathroom as "There and Back Again" [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #61
Sangoff
Pile O'Bones

Sangoff has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sangoff
Sting

Haha, hilarious!!! Mind if I copy them?
"Well this is the end Sam Gamgee," said a voice by his side. And there was Frodo, pale and worn, and yet himslef again; and in his eyes there was peace now, neither strain of will, nor madness, nor any fear. His burden was taken away. There was the dear master of the sweet days in the Shire.
"Master!" cried Sam and fell upon his knees. In all that ruin of the world for the moment he felt only joy, great joy. The burden was gone. His master had been saved; he was himself again, he was free. - RotK
Sangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #62
Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Yell "Fool of a Took!!!" Whenever your parrent comes in your room without knocking first

And I've actually done this one:

Die your hair planium blond (Make sure it don't turn your hair orange, like it did Mine the first time...I have dark hair), Put all the little braid things in it Legolas has, Get a wodden bow and quiver full of arrows and refuse to go ANYWARE without it, earn up 200$ to pay your friend so she can sew you the entire Legolas outfit and pay 78$ for a pair of boots that looks like his. Then, run around the house, in school and where ever else in your costume and refuse to answer to anything but "Legolas" or "Mrs. Greenleaf" (Mr. Greenleaf if your a guy)
Old 09-03-2002, 09:21 PM   #63
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

kithrena, that belongs in what obsessive things do YOU do? in middle earth mayhem! thats the sort of thing people talk about months after you've done it(if you stopped, that is.)ha ha! i'd do that with a cloak and a good heavy 2-handed sword slung on my back! maybe some studded leather armor too.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:31 PM   #64
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I've never been much at suddenly qouting lines, but I nearly always find myself yelling "Eaadro! EEEEaaadro!" at supermarket doors that don't open fast enough. (The joke is, on weekends, you have to pull them open manually. Visualize me - grunting and admitting how foolish I am and pulling the door open after waving my hands about and yelling at it for a minute or two...*heh*)
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #65
Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oops, My bad, Demloth of Dol Amroth, didn't see that there. But in a way, it can also fit here...Considering it DID actually freak My parrent and friends out ^_^
Old 09-08-2002, 08:47 AM   #66
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i soo love these try any of them in a hotel in the middle of the austria alps, many english people thought i was speaking german!!
How about bowing to everyone makes everyone laugh!!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:18 AM   #67
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

How about writing the date in elvish in school books etc. great practise!!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:26 AM   #68
The Thriceling

Sting

These are quite good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I have actually used lines in everyday conversation. On Friday, one of my friends was talking about trying to get a schedual change, and I said "You cannot just walk into the councelors office! There is evil there that does not sleep! Not with a thousand students could you do this! It is folly!" He cracked up. It was great.

And I quite enjoy aidling up to my freshmen buddy, rubbing my hands togeter and eyeing him while muttering "Fishiessssss! Fishiessss!"

The "A wizard is never late" line is great for when you're late to class.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:10 PM   #69
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

"Jump on people's backs and yell, "Noro lim, Asfaloth, noro lim!"

HAHAHA!!!!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:18 PM   #70
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Tolkien

Whenever someone comes to your door shout we don't want any well wishers, etc.. ( i cant really remember what it says. )

Also write the date in the shire instead of the date here.. It quite confuses the teachers!